Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Starks posted:

Pierogis are disgusting and very midwestern in spirit. Mashed potato inside fried dough with a bunch of heavy sauces on top??

Also I’m pretty sure Chicago has more Michelin stars than Budapest or Warsaw

lol

Also why do goons only know how to rate places based on how "good" the food is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chicago is neck-deep in poles and polish cuisine and Toronto is the same for ukranians so idk about bragging about the midwest's culinary prowess re: eastern Europe.

steinrokkan posted:

lol

Also why do goons only know how to rate places based on how "good" the food is.

We are all extremely fat.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 12, 2019

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Chicago is neck-deep in poles and polish cuisine and Toronto is the same for ukranians so idk about bragging about the midwest's culinary prowess re: eastern Europe.

We are all extremely fat.

You’ve already insulted Toronto once and now you’re implying it’s part of the Midwest? I’m literally shaking

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Starks posted:

You’ve already insulted Toronto once and now you’re implying it’s part of the Midwest? I’m literally shaking

it is. soarry.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Starks posted:

Tsunami warning!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Starks posted:

Ok well if it’s not potato that might be better but I bet they’re still gross.

Here’s a dumpling map so you can see just how low they rank just in their specific food category

Edit: looking at this map I realize the absence of xiaolongbao, Jamaican patties, and pop tarts (the three best dumplings) is pretty egregious

Pop tarts aren't dumplings, they're sandwiches.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By the definition they're using, bread is a dumpling.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Crab rangoons are not dumplings, but they are a thing I really like, know how to cook, and got taught how to cook working for a cantonese guy in Ontario who was loving proud of his kitchen and his menu.

I admire this map's commitment to not making GBS threads on fusion cuisines. A crab rangoon is distinctly north american, and also wouldn't have happened without chinese immigration.

A thing can be an american trash food and an "authentic" food at the same time. Whining about how "authentic" a food is is basically the best way to out yourself as a worthless white. "Wow this is really good but I went to Beijing for a few days and uh, they didn't sell crab rangoons there, I just wish this restaurant was more authentic"

wow that's so shocking you boring rear end white motherfucker

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 12, 2019

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Starks posted:

I'm not sure Michelin star restaurants in a metropolis tell you much about the general quality of food in a region. Like, sampling bias aside, which definitely favors big rich cities in rich countries, those restaurants don't even seem to be making Midwestern food - they're making French-derived fusion/molecular gastronomy kind of foods for people who live internationally.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Given how America was settled, it seems like you could argue that countryside and cities often aren't even part of the same culinary lineage. In some cases, even neighborhoods within the same city. I mean, outside the actual day to day fast food thing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Starks posted:

Pierogis are disgusting and very midwestern in spirit. Mashed potato inside fried dough with a bunch of heavy sauces on top??

worst take ive seen in my entire life

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

Pop tarts aren't dumplings, they're sandwiches.

But it’s sealed so it’s a dumpling.

(I got this dumb idea from a “Go home Wikipedia you’re drunk” thread a while back but it looks they’ve since fixed it. )

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Crab rangoons are not dumplings, but they are a thing I really like, know how to cook, and got taught how to cook working for a cantonese guy in Ontario who was loving proud of his kitchen and his menu.

I admire this map's commitment to not making GBS threads on fusion cuisines. A crab rangoon is distinctly north american, and also wouldn't have happened without chinese immigration.

A thing can be an american trash food and an "authentic" food at the same time. Whining about how "authentic" a food is is basically the best way to out yourself as a worthless white. "Wow this is really good but I went to Beijing for a few days and uh, they didn't sell crab rangoons there, I just wish this restaurant was more authentic"

wow that's so shocking you boring rear end white motherfucker

much like all x-american food

spagheti and meatballs? not really italian. chicken parmesan? not how you spell parmigiana and also not italian. fajitas? not mexican. america was built by the inauthentic.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

spagheti and meatballs? not really italian. chicken parmesan? not how you spell parmigiana and also not italian. fajitas? not mexican. america was built by the inauthentic.

:jerkbag:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

who cares what food is "authentic"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

who cares what food is "authentic"

WASPs in North America.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If a meal is part of what the people living somewhere eat on a regular basis, it's authentic, hth.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Wow, a food chat? How exciting!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Starks posted:

Ontario is extremely Midwest.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given how America was settled, it seems like you could argue that countryside and cities often aren't even part of the same culinary lineage. In some cases, even neighborhoods within the same city.

Depends on the volume of immigration, Socal and Texas have legit Mexican food elements all over because of it. Same as the Tri-State area (plus RI) have widespread great Italian.
But yeah like looking for excellent Tamil food is probably like five specific neighborhoods.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sampatrick posted:

I've never seen a worse misreading of a post in my entire life.

Also

quote:

chicken parmesan? not how you spell parmigiana and also not italian.

I know this thread acted shocked that Italy was a cobbled together 19th century project, but yeah it had and still has a variety of differing dialects. And it might blow your mind to find out that immigration from it didn't come from the areas where people spoke the prestige mainstream dialect that became the Italian language.
And they might just have brought over regional and backwater terms/spellings/pronunciations for foods and things that aren't encountered on Rosetta Stone! Weird!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kennel posted:

Wow, a food chat? How exciting!

Latin #1 for five centuries and counting (no don't ask how), suck it, uh, squiggly South Indian scripts

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
everybody just needs to relax

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Grape posted:

I've never seen a worse misreading of a post in my entire life.

I know this thread acted shocked that Italy was a cobbled together 19th century project, but yeah it had and still has a variety of differing dialects. And it might blow your mind to find out that immigration from it didn't come from the areas where people spoke the prestige mainstream dialect that became the Italian language.
And they might just have brought over regional and backwater terms/spellings/pronunciations for foods and things that aren't encountered on Rosetta Stone! Weird!

I was literally just saying that the same things that you can say about how chinese-american food being inauthentic is true of pretty much every minority cuisine in America.

I'm aware of all of that, you don't need to act like you know so much more on the subject lmao. The word parmesan isn't a regional or backwater spelling, it's a word invented to sell a generic variant not produced in any of the traditional regions in Italy. I pointed to specifically spaghetti and meatballs and chicken parmesan because they're both distinctly not actually italian, even if they certainly are italian-american. I'm sure you will also be shocked to learn that not only are there lots of different dialects in Italy, but also there are several different languages that also fall under the umbrella category of Italian.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Starks posted:

Ok well if it’s not potato that might be better but I bet they’re still gross.

Here’s a dumpling map so you can see just how low they rank just in their specific food category

Edit: looking at this map I realize the absence of xiaolongbao, Jamaican patties, and pop tarts (the three best dumplings) is pretty egregious

How the gently caress is a Semmelknödel even a dumpling. They could've easily gone for Maultaschen instead.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sereri posted:

How the gently caress is a Semmelknödel even a dumpling. They could've easily gone for Maultaschen instead.

Dumpling is a state of mind

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I did not know that veripalttu is a dumpling

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
wikipedia defines a dumpling as being dough either filled with stuff or not filled with stuff and for that reason i would like to introduce you to me new ted talk: the pancake, america's favorite dumpling

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sampatrick posted:

The word parmesan isn't a regional or backwater spelling, it's a word invented to sell a generic variant not produced in any of the traditional regions in Italy.

Speaking of forced authenticity, those EU food laws that get super :spergin: about where the real variety of something comes from or can only come from are insane.
Parmesan cheese apparently dates back like 700 years or so, and you think before modern bureaucracy that it had one exact name, and was produced solely in one set of regions? And didn't spread around into other cuisines?

It's going to be a dark day when all of the Balkans plus Turkey enter the EU, and collide with that purist nonsense of trying to establish the one true real home and name of X Food. Blood will be shed.

quote:

I pointed to specifically spaghetti and meatballs and chicken parmesan because they're both distinctly not actually italian, even if they certainly are italian-american.

And you said this made it inauthentic food, with a clear negative connotation lol.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

(Dumpling map) I don't really have anything against Crab Rangoon, I just don't associate it with the Bay Area. It's pretty rare here, whereas literally every Chinese place in the Midwest seems to serve it.

(Writing system map) What's that bit of Manchu way out west by Kazakhstan?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
whither tamales, pasties, maultaschen, matzo balls, spätzle, mochi etc etc

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Grape posted:

Speaking of forced authenticity, those EU food laws that get super :spergin: about where the real variety of something comes from or can only come from are insane.
Parmesan cheese apparently dates back like 700 years or so, and you think before modern bureaucracy that it had one exact name, and was produced solely in one set of regions? And didn't spread around into other cuisines?

It's going to be a dark day when all of the Balkans plus Turkey enter the EU, and collide with that purist nonsense of trying to establish the one true real home and name of X Food. Blood will be shed.

And you said this made it inauthentic food, with a clear negative connotation lol.

I mean, I was trying to say that the desire for authenticity is stupid and all the food you're eating is inauthentic anyway.

the eu food laws are the way they are in order to protect local communities from being outcompeted by rich corporations who can scale up production massively and thus make it impossible for any traditional producers to stay in business. youre also completely misunderstanding where the naming follows from - parmesan cheese is called parmesan cheese because it's a specialized cheese from that region of italy. other regions of italy specialize in different kinds of cheese. so yes, for the most part, the regions of italy that produce parmesan now are indeed mostly those regions which produced parmesan centuries ago, because the other regions of italy were producing other regional varieties. i do not think you actually understand almost anything about the history of food in europe or why the eu food laws exist.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Starks posted:

But it’s sealed so it’s a dumpling.

(I got this dumb idea from a “Go home Wikipedia you’re drunk” thread a while back but it looks they’ve since fixed it. )

Personally, my favorite dumplings are burritos, quesadillas, and calzones

e: I was jokingly referring to the classic sandwich alignment chart

https://i.imgur.com/k5tPJJ1.jpg

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 12, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Protected names are good because you can still buy all the Kraft Parmesan equivalent you want, but if you get a craving for the real stuff from time to time, you know that if you buy something that's labeled Parmigiano Reggiano, it's what is claims to be, and that it has the qualities you'd expect.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grape posted:

My "native language" is either french or english or yiddish or german depending on who you ask. I can code switch as an adult of course but get me drunk and I am going to mutter at you in all of them, which I think is basically yiddish. I can write it out in latin or cyrillic or hebrew too and even ask "vy govorite po-frantsuskiy?" for the cyrillic folks.

Don't ask me to write a paper in yiddish proper tho cuz I can't.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 12, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The main property of dumplings is that they've been dumped into a liquid. Boiled, poached? Yes. Fried? Open to further research. Steamed? Very contentious. Baked, roasted, grilled, broiled, microwaved...? gently caress right off.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Family Values posted:

(Dumpling map) I don't really have anything against Crab Rangoon, I just don't associate it with the Bay Area. It's pretty rare here, whereas literally every Chinese place in the Midwest seems to serve it.

It is believed to have been first served in SF at Trader Vic's.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The main property of dumplings is that they've been dumped into a liquid. Boiled, poached? Yes. Fried? Open to further research. Steamed? Very contentious. Baked, roasted, grilled, broiled, microwaved...? gently caress right off.

i want to say that the etymology of dumpling is actually super unclear and nobody knows exactly where it comes from. theres an old english form of dump that means a misshaped piece which it might come from.

i like to believe that the word dumpling was actually given to man from God as part of His final testament, in order to warm our hearts until judgement day comes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

I did not know that veripalttu is a dumpling

It isn't but someone extremely disturbed wrote the Wikipedia entry for dumpling and the map is going by that. Literally anything cooked that has any dough in it is a dumpling, according to Wikipedia.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sampatrick posted:

I mean, I was trying to say that the desire for authenticity is stupid and all the food you're eating is inauthentic anyway.

the eu food laws are the way they are in order to protect local communities from being outcompeted by rich corporations who can scale up production massively and thus make it impossible for any traditional producers to stay in business. youre also completely misunderstanding where the naming follows from - parmesan cheese is called parmesan cheese because it's a specialized cheese from that region of italy. other regions of italy specialize in different kinds of cheese. so yes, for the most part, the regions of italy that produce parmesan now are indeed mostly those regions which produced parmesan centuries ago, because the other regions of italy were producing other regional varieties. i do not think you actually understand almost anything about the history of food in europe or why the eu food laws exist.

I know (even in Europe!) that food spreads, the names changes, and the origins become obscure, or at least claims to ownership become muddy. Even if there is a clear point of origin, this stuff does and has spread organically before modern corporations.

You seem to be conflating all stuff that comes from outside the exact designated areas as being a battle between the regional mom&pops and big companies. And yeah that aspect and purpose of the law is good, but in doing that good it's also partaking in some degree of revisionism and simplification.
Do you really think traditionally the only places that made parmesan cheese were in that exact area in and around Emilia Romagna? That over 700 years it just stuck in that area? Not even to other areas of northern Italy?

What I'm getting at is you protect some of the Mom&Pops, but you are going to screw over other Mom&Pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grape posted:

I know (even in Europe!) that food spreads, the names changes, and the origins become obscure, or at least claims to ownership become muddy. Even if there is a clear point of origin, this stuff does and has spread organically before modern corporations.

You literally don't understand place names lmaooooooo!