Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

GABA ghoul posted:

Serious question, what's up with the bridge? Is there some kind of legal loop hole in the magna carta that makes everything reachable by ox legally part of the crown or something?

Boris is trying to ape President Goodbrains, but instead thinking building a bridge will appeal more to the liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So I've been away for a few weeks but why does Boris want to connect the Wetlands with the Arathi Highlands again

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Feldegast42 posted:

So I've been away for a few weeks but why does Boris want to connect the Wetlands with the Arathi Highlands again

It will bamboozle Marcon and Merkel, they will never expected such 50th dimensional thinking, a bridge that won't be build this decade, so Boris can next monthl get the EU to agree to let it be run by the UK forever.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

marktheando posted:

Boris likes bridges. He spent a lot of money on a stupid bridge that never got built when he was mayor of london as well.

lol this is actually it, he's getting consultancy ££ pumped into his mates' firms

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Relevant Tangent posted:

welcome to Carcosa, all the masks are off and the revels are just starting

King In Yellow reference, yaaaaay!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So the Boris Bridge will 100% be a private owned tolled bridge no ?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Oh yeah smart guy? Well we have an insane and irresponsible government so screw you

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
even Francis loving Urquhart didn’t try to pull this poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Orkneys - Falklands bridge or bust

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
boris: and whos gonna pay for the bridge???

crowd at the rally: the republic of ireland!!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Victory Position posted:

I did try to find information concerning the depth of pylons driven into the sea in order to make Oresund work, but came up empty. On the plus side, this is a return to Victorian Age work safety catastrophe, only magnified by some exponential amount!
It is surprisingly hard to find information on it, even as a Danish speaker. From what I can find on the Great Belt bridge though, the pylons were only driven down like 50m or so. The foundations for the pylons on the Øresund Bridge apparently only weighed 2/3rds of the ones on the Great Belt, so it's probably safe to assume they at least didn't go any deeper. Overall though, both bridges were built in very calm and shallow waters, so I wouldn't be surprised if each pylon in the deepest part of the Irish Sea on Boris' Bridge would end up being about as massive an undertaking as either of the other two bridges all together. Before considering the explosives.

Really, just build a floating/suspended tunnel sitting safely below the turbulent seas on top and above the radioactive explosives below.

euphronius posted:

So the Boris Bridge will 100% be a private owned tolled bridge no ?
You stick your finger in a slot, it draws blood and does a quick DNA test, adds you to the database and then sets the price according to your ancestry.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

This bridge must be built for the ultimate comedy timeline ending: as soon as it gets completed, Scotland gains independence.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Johnson vows to restore Britain's past glory by raising the world's biggest prized hog. When raised, the hog will weight over 50 stone and be the size of two average knife crime scenes. The EU has not yet commented on this recent development

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fun fact: The world's largest recorded pig weighted over 180 stone. Not that it's relevant to anything, but it's interesting.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the knife crime meme

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twoday posted:

There has a been a conspiracy theory being thrown around pro-Brexit Twitter that says that the UK already left the EU in March and the Brexit extension was not legally valid for some reason

https://twitter.com/ElfieRobinson/status/1172134096342069248?s=1

I've often seen it posted by brexiteers in response to one news article or another, and I find it a great argument to make because it's the Brexit equivalent of when someone is talking to you and you stick your fingers in your ears and say "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, I'M NOT HERE RIGHT NOW LALALALA"

I read one of these articles a few months ago. The argument went something like:

-The UK brexited in March because of [legal nonsense] and nobody noticed or said anything except for us, and
-There was no deal signed, so UK did a no-deal brexit, and
-Life went on just as before (no tariffs or customs, shipping went through the channel ports as always, no Irish border crisis, etc), therefore
-All the predictions about how bad no-deal Brexit will be are lies because it already happened and it was fine, so no need to worry about what will happen on Oct 31st when the EU kicks the UK out see cuz we're already out

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

even Francis loving Urquhart didn’t try to pull this poo poo

lol if you wouldn't take FU over any other British prime minister post-Wilson.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I read one of these articles a few months ago. The argument went something like:

-The UK brexited in March because of [legal nonsense] and nobody noticed or said anything except for us, and
-Life went on just as before (no tariffs or customs, shipping went through the channel ports as always, no Irish border crisis, etc), therefore
-All the predictions about how bad no-deal Brexit will be are lies because it already happened and it was fine, so no need to worry about what will happen on Oct 31st when the EU kicks the UK out see cuz we're already out

Things are fine now so long as nothing changes, which is why we're going to change everything and it will all be fine. *taps forehead*

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Remainers should lean HARD into this and see if they can trick enough Leavers into thinking they had already Brexited so they can keep eating food and taking medicine to survive with none the wiser.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bag em and tag em posted:

Remainers should lean HARD into this and see if they can trick enough Leavers into thinking they had already Brexited so they can keep eating food and taking medicine to survive with none the wiser.

maybe figure out how they can starve and not have medicine instead. just them tho

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Blustering Boris' Boondoggle Bridge Busts Budget By Billions!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arsenic Lupin posted:

King In Yellow reference, yaaaaay!

in Orange actually
tmurp

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

build an overpass to gibraltar boris

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
O X B R I D G E D I E is being activated. stock up on pentazemin in case you are targeted

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Near thread title - Brexit: Don't worry, some of the Irish will die too.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
jomapson

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Fun fact: The world's largest recorded pig weighted over 180 stone. Not that it's relevant to anything, but it's interesting.

That's within striking distance of a hippo, so I think I'm going to need some corrobyration on that number.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lotta talking down bridgetane itt

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Albinator posted:

That's within striking distance of a hippo, so I think I'm going to need some corrobyration on that number.
Do not disrespect Big Bill, the most successful Tenessean.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
why can’t we move the Protestants in Northern Ireland to London? they’d be happier there

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ayn Randi posted:

lotta talking down bridgetane itt

haha tane

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bridge taint

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Samovar posted:

on a big bed with alone, while Boris shags their wife

Oh God. Just the loving thought of it is making me ill.

Imagine being sexually attracted to Boris Johnson.

Imagine looking at that loving mug, with that goddamn haircut, and thinking "Yeah, I'll gently caress him."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Imagine looking at that loving mug, with that goddamn haircut, and thinking "Yeah, I'll gently caress him."

money and power are good aphrodisiacs, as it turns out

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Well, considering the inclinations of rest of the social circle they circulate in, a man interested in a person of their age must be a novelty.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Der Meister posted:

I will not be imagining that nightmare tyvm

Whoops, just realised I got feet and yards mixed up, so the pillars would be more like half a km high, or for an easy comparison, the pillars holding the bridge up would each need to be as high as the Empire State Building. If you have never seen that, then you can just imagine 2 Canary Wharfs on top of each other (literally)....

These would be built on top of 1.5m tons of unexploded muntions in a sea known for it's stormy and windy weather.

It's pure nightmare fuel.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
more project fear :rolleyes: there’s no limits to what are British ingenuity can accomplish when unshackled from stifling eu regulations on things like bendy bananas and building towers on top of bombs in the middle of the sea

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Brexit is basically Metal Gear Solid 2

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the conservative and union party doing fantastic at that second bit

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1172434823027118081?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

Dravs posted:

Whoops, just realised I got feet and yards mixed up

I fully expect this to happen IRL if they ever actually try to build it.