Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

Hey Ayndin, it's time. What's the best way to get in contact with you?

Sorry I missed this till now - I think there was a link to your Discord earlier in the thread, I'll send you a message there. Looks like the link I have is no longer valid - I'm ayndin#4599 on discord, but if it's more expedient to email me to set stuff up, I have a gmail account that's my SA username @ gmail.

Edit: wow, what an awesome way to start a new page!

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

And in Jimmy's/Lars's defense, Jimmy is at the age where he probably doesn't really understand age gaps. If Hitomi reads as more "adult" to Jimmy, he probably imagines that she's not that different from Lars, and so in Jimmy's version of reality, it's all good.

Yeah, Jimmy is what...eight or so? At that age, a lot of kids don't really see the age gap between different varieties of "adult". There's baby, little kid, adult, and old. And many see teenagers as basically adults.

Add in Lars apparently being into anime and probably quite weebish about it, and video games. A lot of Japanese media in those areas have teenage protagonists.

So Lars might not even be so clearly racist in the 'real world', either. Jimmy sees someone who extols the virtues of Japanese media over all others, and might overhear now and then discussions of being lonely and wanting a relationship. If Lars talked about those things to Jimmy, it's still kind of inappropriate, but not to the degree of outright "yellow fever" racism.

A lot of things in this game are clearly the extrapolations of a child's mind. Lars most likely is too.

I feel similarly about Andrew. While the "Why don't we just have another kid?" thing crosses so many lines, I've actually been speculating for a while about quite a bit of his behavior. Pushing academics the way he does particularly things like math and science, certain obsessions, using expansive vocabulary even with those who don't understand it with little to no explanation, pushing for logical solutions to situations that don't have them, so on and so on. I actually see it possibly as a child's interpretation of a parent on the autism spectrum relating to their child in the only way they know how.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've talked about Lars's characterization when the beach scene came up. Ultimately, Jimmy wants everyone in his family to be happy, and when it comes to Lars, he interprets that as getting an anime girlfriend, not merely an Asian one. As AngryRobotsInc put it, this is likely Jimmy filtering what Lars has told him about Japanese culture, which is frankly just video games and anime.

Moving from Japan to Korea, here's a recipe for Army base stew. Korean food is my favorite Asian cuisine because it's spicy and has a lot of garlic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euVyBKNfxkk

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
for disclosure it was midnight my time when I was recording so I hold the right to go back on stuff I said in the video

Ibblebibble posted:

Whoa now, kimchi isn't boiled cabbage. It's pickled spicy cabbage (and other veg).

that sounds worse

get that OUT of my face posted:

Finnish is a weird language, it's one of the only non-Indo-European languages in Europe along with Basque and Hungarian. Also "Kappo Kakko" is the name of someone from Finland and you can make fun of him by calling him "Krappo Kakka."

had to google who Kaapo Kakko is but otherwise, yeah, in the language family of Europe we're that one weird kid who went to juvie for reasons no one will tell you, who no one talks to

quote:

Lars chat

yeah most of this scans except "I want an Asian girlfriend because they're nice" comes off as way too specific not to be a thing Lars said to Jimmy directly

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

yeah most of this scans except "I want an Asian girlfriend because they're nice" comes off as way too specific not to be a thing Lars said to Jimmy directly

I don't know that it has to specifically be that. It could just be the (racist in its own way, but without the added misogyny) "Japan, and Japanese culture are just so much better." thing a lot of those sorts say.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Two other things about OFF: it has a plot twist very similar to Jimmy's. The first thing I thought of when I found out about Jimmy's cancer was the end of OFF. Also, it has the best single piece of battle music of any RPG ever, don't @ me.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Two other things about OFF: it has a plot twist very similar to Jimmy's. The first thing I thought of when I found out about Jimmy's cancer was the end of OFF. Also, it has the best single piece of battle music of any RPG ever, don't @ me.

you can't have your battle theme degrade into incoherent nonsense due to overexposure if it's already incoherent nonsense

this is a compliment, as the battle theme serves to highlight the atmosphere of discomfort and dread OFF has going on and also sidesteps battle theme wear

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

OFF also has the single greatest elements system of any RPG, I won't go into it any further because it is a slap across the face that is best experienced first-hand.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

As for thoughts on the game, I don't know that Lars going for Hitomi in the game means he'd actually go for a high schooler in the real world. I think that's probably just Jimmy's mind's interpretation of a turbo weeb, which Lars almost certainly is.

I tell myself for the sake of my own sanity that Hitomi is also just pretending to be a high-schooler, like the actors who play them in stuff like Dawson's Creek or Degrassi.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I like it a lot more in Jimmy because it kind of comes out of nowhere at the very end of OFF and doesn’t really fit with the rest of the game. Whereas in Jimmy it’s an essential part of the game.

Pepper steak is amazing, somehow. I don’t know why I like it, it’s not like any other music that I like, and yet.

Solitair posted:

I tell myself for the sake of my own sanity that Hitomi is also just pretending to be a high-schooler, like the actors who play them in stuff like Dawson's Creek or Degrassi.

Given that Hitomi is not real, and is super anime, you could assume that she’s hundreds of years old and yet still looks like a high schooler, because anime. That doesn’t really make it less skeevy, though. Better to just realize that she’s wish fulfillment for Lars as envisioned by Jimmy and we don’t how he is in the real world.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 10, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

There are two optional, powerful forms that you can get in the game's last act before the final boss, one of them being:
Punch Tanaka
(Lv 05) Counter Stance (3 MP): A technique learned from training as a monk. Counter physical attacks for 300% physical damage.
(Lv 10) Intimidating Stare: Pull down your shades for just a moment. Show the enemy you mean business. Startle all enemies at the start of the fight.
(Lv 15) Called Shot (10 MP): A little trick picked up in pool halls. The next attack does double damage.
(Lv 25) Shakedown (5 MP): You can't take the street out of the thug. Steal from the enemy and deal 100% physical damage.
(Lv 40) Mag. Combo (15 MP): Perform a magnificent combo! 300% physical damage; two-turn cooldown.
(Lv 50) Being sure of yourself helps you fudge your way through most things in life. All stats +25%.
Tanaka form gives Jimmy +1 ATK, +1 DEF, and +1 LUK for every Imagination level.

Subway Enemies
Mutant Goon can hock up Sick and inflict Immunodeficiency. If it twitches, it will split into two Mutant Goons at the old one's current HP; these goons cannot split further.
After a failed experiment, Mutant Goons kept self-replicating and have effectively taken over the subway. They live off of loose change and discarded ticket stubs.

DeeDee DeeDee has two actions per turn. It can sweep a party member's legs to damage and startle them. If it twitches, it will either kick all party members to damage and startle them, or hit first with a palm strike, then another guaranteed first strike the next turn for 250% physical damage.
The halls of the subway sometimes echo with the groans of DeeDee DeeDee begging to be killed.

Big Enormous Slug can cover the party in slime to make them Sticky. If it twitches, it will breathe on the party next turn and make them Sleep.
Big Enormous Slug isn't very content with his weight issues, but he is pretty jazzed about his excessive slime.

Johnny Tentacles can attack as many times as he has tentacles, or else attack with all his tentacles at once, dealing 100% times the number he has physical damage to one party member. You can steal all five of his tentacles, turning him into Johnny No-Tentacles and making him useless.
Johnny Tentacles often tries to wield knives out of habit, but they slip out of his grip.

Grunge Tanaka doesn't feel like attacking you. You can steal his Malaise; the party member who does so will become Unmotivated, but Grunge will attack his allies.
Grunge Tanaka has plans for starting a band, but he's too busy hanging out at the moment.

Central Hub Enemies
After the hub is overrun, you can attract these enemies on the sandswept isle next to The Pulsating Mass as a blob. These enemies are also found on Floors 26-30 of Dark Dungeon.
Security Orb can physically attack or fire a laser to deal magical damage. If it takes aim, it will fire a buzzsaw next turn, dealing 300% physical damage. You can steal a Power Core from it.
Security Orbs follow the same patrol lines throughout Central Hub 24 hours a day. They don't get holidays off, either.

Recovery Orb will heal 25% of an ally's max HP every turn.
Recovery Orbs are equipped with state-of-the-art surgical tools. Well, tools for robots. They have a screwdriver.

Holo Orb will transform into Beach Babe, Mr. Fish Head, Catty Schoolgirl, Corporate Drone, Robo-Chan, Lucky Neko, DeeDee DeeDee or Big Enormous Slug.
Holo Orbs are able to transform into anything they remember. Unfortunately, their hard drives are old refurbished units from the mid-nineties, so space is pretty limited.

Counter Orb can generate an energy shield to make itself Impenetrable for one turn, becoming immune to physical attacks. It will counter any physical attacks that hit it, even if it's immune to them.
One time, two Counter Orbs accidentally hit each other. They ended up trading hits for twelve days straight.

Broadcast Orb gives its allies the Extended status, making all of their single-target attacks hit your entire party instead.
When Broadcast Orbs aren't in combat, they're transmitting reruns of their favorite show to the other robots.

Space Enemies
After you get your spaceship, you can fight these again on the meteorite north of Unbreakable Bridge by attracting them as a blob.
Squirm will change its moveset depending on which planet you're on. On Planet Jimmy, it will either attack or do nothing. On Planet Helga, it gains the ability to inflict Sick and damage a party member with its claws. If it quivers on Planet Andrew, it will reflect all magic attacks the next turn. If it quivers on Planet Lars, it will either reflect magic or rampage next turn, hitting three times for 150% physical damage each time.
Squirms sleep in thin ponds of goo nestled in craters. They arise and take the form of whatever lifeforms are nearby.

Tongue Plant will only appear from Planet Helga onward. If it inhales air, it will either hock Sick onto your party, breath Sleep breath on the party, or release a virus to give the party Immunodeficiency. You can steal Vaccine Shots from it, making the party immune to common status effects for three turns.
Tongueplant's many tongues actually can't taste things. Instead, they're just muscular appendages used for combat.

Mouth will only appear from Planet Andrew onward. It absorbs magical attacks, and can fire a mind laser to deal magical damage. If it gargles the universe in its mouth, on its next turn it will fire a big laser for 300% magical damage on one party member, hit the whole party with magical lasers, or swallow its universe and die.
The universe inside of Mouth is quickly decaying as he digests it.

Fingers will only appear on Planet Lars and the meteorite. If it quivers, it will either attack three times the next turn or quiver again, attacking six times the turn after that.
Fingers's fingers are so strong that he's never been able to finish a term paper since he breaks every keyboard he touches.

The Ultimate Construction Enemies
These enemies are also found on Floors 31-35 of Dark Dungeon. In addition to Rad Ghost and Super Rad Ghost, you can also find:
If Cloud Prince tenses his muscles, he will either kill a party member, slash four times for 150% physical damage each hit, or feint to Startle and deal 50% physical damage to one party member.
Cloud Prince is an expert swordsman. While his father wanted him to focus more on etiquette and the politics of the kingdom, Cloud Prince wanted to be seen as a capable person first, so he trained on his own.

Mrs. Asp can sing to put a party member to Sleep or bite someone to damage them and inflict Sick. If she smiles, on her next turn she will either counter all physical attacks or space out and do nothing. If she fights alongside The Younger Mr. Asp in the Arena, she will encourage and Motivate him. You can steal a Love seat from her.
Mrs. Asp might be venomous, but she's still a lovely house guest. She is clean and orderly and always brings a dessert. Just don't be surprised if you see some dead mice in that pie.

Mulvaney will retreat into his shell when damaged, which gives him the ability to either counter physical or reflect magical attacks each turn. You can steal $700 or a Combination Lock from him; the latter will force him out of his shell and make him unable to withdraw again.
Mulvaney is Mortimer's father. He doesn't go out much, as he has everything he wants inside of his safe-like shell.

Skitter Bouquet can spray Sleep gas on one party member or Sick spores on the whole party. You can steal its Apple, healing 25% of your party's max HP and making it Angry.
Once a Skitter has been taken over by its parasitic flower, he turns into a Skitter Bouquet. At this point, the Skitter is just technically alive. The flower has control over most of his brain functions.

Rainbow Park Enemies
These enemies are also found on Floors 36-40 of Dark Dungeon. In addition to Super Rad Ghost, there's also:
Sky Guardian can sing a party member to Sleep. If she inhales air, she'll breathe Sleep breath on the whole party the next turn.
Sky Guardians spend all day happily flying through the clouds.

Peliconcertina will Grasp a party member in its mouth, dealing 100% physical damage to them each turn they're Grasped.
Peliconcertina can swallow something twice its size. It can also play a number of maritime jigs.

Flamingogo can Fly, becoming immune to physical attacks. While airborne, it can yammer to Startle and deal 50% physical damage to a party member, attack a party member with magical wind, or barrel into a party member, dealing 400% physical damage to them and grounding it again.
Scientists fortunate enough to see a Flamingogo mating dance have been so touched and inspired that they quit their fields in order to pursue more artistic endeavors.

Season Monkey will change its form and moveset each turn, cycling through the seasons. You can steal a Banana Phone from it regardless of form.
-In spring form, it can scratch with Sick-inflicting claws. If it cackles, it will release spores and make the whole party Sick next turn.
-In summer form, it can physically attack. If it cackles, it will slam into someone for 250% physical damage next turn.
-In autumn form, it can summon fire and deal magical damage. If it cackles, it will release flame to deal 150% magical damage to the party next turn.
-In winter form, it becomes weak to holy attacks and can physically attack. If it cackles, it will rampage next turn for three hits of 150% physical damage each.
Season Monkeys are ingenious enough to build complex machines, which makes them much more intelligent than their distant relatives, Information Guys.

The Mad Queen's Castle Enemies
Ace of Spades can cut your attack in half, dealing 50% physical damage and inflicting Unmotivated on one party member. If it watches you, it will hit the whole party with this attack next turn.
The Ace of Spades flies through the skies of the Mad Queen's Castle, hunting any trespassers. Its single eye never closes.

Jack of Clubs can cut your defense in half, dealing 50% physical damage and inflicting Unguarded on one party member. If he tenses his muscles, he will hit the whole party with this attack next turn.
The Jack of Clubs loves the Mad Queen so much that he gifted her his sanity so he could remain near her.

Queen of Hearts can swap one party member's HP and MP. If she glares at you, she'll do that to the entire party next turn.
The Queen of Hearts was once a beautiful woman, but the Mad Queen plucked her heart from her chest so she wouldn't challenge her beauty.

If King of Diamonds creeps toward you, on his next turn, he will deal physical damage to one party member equal, with the money you're carrying divided by 100 in place of his ATK stat.
The King of Diamonds is employed to flay the hide from the Mad Queen's prisoners. He enjoys his job very much.

Joker will either smile and do nothing or say "Ooh, who knows what fun thing will happen!?" If he says that, he will either fully heal or kill one enemy or party member. You can steal a Stationary Bike from him.
Jokers have been given ultimate authority over life and death by the Mad Queen. She finds their antics amusing.

The Great Triangle Enemies
These enemies are also found on Floors 41-45 of Dark Dungeon. In addition to Hexagon, there's also:
Science Guardian can fire a laser to deal magical damage to someone. If he calculates with his peers, he will fire a laser at the whole party next turn, and other enemies will be able to immediately use attacks that would normally require a turn of preparation.
Science Guardians know almost everything. Why, if I were twenty years younger...

Redfish is immune to physical attacks and will counter any directed at it. If it sharpens its edges, it will rampage for three hits of 150% physical damage next turn. If a Science Guardian calculates with it, it can bite for 500% physical damage.
Redfish don't mind that they stand out so much in the water, as their natural defenses are more than sufficient to protect themselves from marine predators.

Bluefish is immune to magical attacks and will reflect any directed at it. If it sharpens its edges, it will use three freezing attacks for 150% magical damage each hit next turn. If a Science Guardian calculates with it, it can freeze the party for 300% magical damage.
Although Bluefish don't have the same defensive prowess as their red cousins, they're able to get by fine, as their coloring helps them blend in underwater.

Information Island Enemy
A zombified Information Guy can spit up Sick onto someone or waste its turn muttering trivia. If it creeps toward you, it will bite someone for 300% physical damage next turn.
When zombified, Information Guys lose all taste for bananas. Instead, they hunt for brains, hoping the information inside will fill their mouths with knowledge again. However, it just leaves them hungry.

Kung Fu Tower Enemies
As you advance through the tower, you will encounter incrementally tougher martial artists. I don't have sprites for the in-between stages but it's literally just a palette swap on the belt so use your imagination.
-White Belt can straight punch to deal physical damage, but will become tired and skip their next turn.
-Yellow Belt will no longer become tired after using the straight punch.
-Green Belt can now also tense their muscles. If they do so, they will use a ten-brick punch next turn, dealing 400% physical damage.
-Violet Belt will now follow the straight punch with a leg sweep, damaging and inflicting Startled.
-Orange Belt will now follow the straight punch with a rabbit punch, attacking three times, before proceeding to the leg sweep.
-Blue Belt can now also center their chi to heal 25% of her max HP.
-Brown Belt will now follow the chi healing with a chi blast, dealing magical damage to the whole party.
-Black Belt will now follow the leg sweep with a shockwave, dealing 300% physical damage to the whole party, and follow the chi blast with a chi release, dealing 300% magical damage to the whole party and losing 25% of her max HP. You can steal a Punching Bag from her.
The martial artists of Kung Fu Tower very seldom leave their training grounds. When they do, they often don't return, as they don't want to bring dishonor to their dojo. They also tend to get distracted by all the cool stores and stuff.

Digital Guardian can use a virus to give the party Immunodeficiency. If she chants, on her next turn she will either cast Ice 2 to deal 200% magical damage to the party or cast Fire 2 to deal 300% magical damage to one party member.
Digital Guardians let their broomsticks fly them everywhere. They also sleep and eat on their broomsticks. The one thing they don't use their brooms for is sweeping.

If Sage sees a beating in his future, the entire enemy team will counter all physical attacks next turn. If he sees magic in his future, the entire enemy team will reflect all magical attacks next turn. If he chants, he will cast Fireburst, hitting three times for 200% magical damage each time. You can steal Patience from him to give your party Counter, or Resilience to give your party Reflect.
The Sages of Kung Fu Tower can levitate because of their extreme mental training. They also have learned other party tricks, such as cartwheels and being able to recite the alphabet backwards.

Goblin Hero can shout a battle cry to make the enemy party Motivated. If it tenses its muscles, it will tear into the party next turn for three hits of 150% physical damage each. If it chants, it will cast Heal 2 next turn, healing the enemy party for 50% of their max HP.
True Goblin Heroes don't have swords. They're Goblin firefighters. Goblin doctors. Goblin teachers. Well, actually, some Goblin Heroes do have swords, and they became heroes by fighting all the time.

Instead of random encounters, Kung Fu Tower has set encounters and encounters you start by praying at a golden statue. In the latter case, you can rarely run into:
The King of Fops is immune to damage and will run away on its second turn. You can steal six Weird Bones from it; five of them will make it fire a volley of cannons at your party, and the sixth will kill it and give you $10,000, more than almost any other enemy or boss in the game. Good luck, and make sure to bring multiple people who can steal.
The King of Fops, unlike a normal Skeleton Fop, is actually royalty. He tries to take command of Skeleton Fops, but they tend to ignore him because of their delusions of grandeur.

Jonathonland Enemies
These enemies can also be found on Floors 56-60 of Dark Dungeon. In addition to Super Rad Ghost and The King of Fops, there's also:
Night Guardian will use a basic physical attack until it chuckles. Afterward, it will tear into the party every turn, dealing 150% physical damage three times.
Nothing makes Night Guardian happier than carving up young children.

If Bog Worm inhales, it will spit up something REALLY gross next turn, inflicting Sick, Sleep and Immunodeficiency on one party member.
Bog Worms are grotesque, uncouth creatures. They're nothing like a cultured Bookworm such as myself.

Jeff-in-a-Bag takes half damage from all attacks until it opens up on its first turn. If it has eyes, it can fire a laser to deal magical damage; if it glares at you, it will fire a mega beam to deal 400% magical damage to the whole party. If it has scissors, it will grab and cut a party member to deal physical damage and inflict Startled. If it's smoky, it will take a quarter damage from physical attacks and become weak to holy; it can attack physically or magically and if it watches you, it will make the enemy party Smoky next turn, greatly increasing their evasion.
Jeff-in-a-Bags are inhabited by a number of poltergeists. You only end up seeing whichever one is the strongest.

Iron Flamingo Enemies
Mobile Alarm will sound an alarm and run away, summoning a Super Deathbot 5000 in its place. You can steal its Voice-box; after which it will either fail to summon help or attack.
Mobile Alarms have a secondary function hidden in their programming that lets them sing Korean folk songs.

During your first visit to the Iron Flamingo, Super Deathbot 5000 will just kill a party member each turn. On the return visit, it can attack normally, fire a buzzsaw to deal 150% physical damage, use its flamethrower to deal magical damage to the whole party, or inject deadly poison to inflict Terminal, which kills the afflicted party member after three turns. You can steal a Voice-box from it, which does nothing because it doesn't need a voice to kill you.
Super Deathbot 5000 has enough arm strength to lift an extended cab truck off the ground with one hand. His flamethrower can also cook a steak from raw to well-done in three seconds.
That's not how cooking works, Jimmy.

Multiplier will multiply the damage its allies deal by the number on its display. It starts at x2, and you can steal two Integers, reducing it to as much as x0.
Multipliers ping signals off of nearby monsters, amplifying their strength. They were invented by a mad scientist after he learned the times table.

Slithery Dee can attack three times in one turn, slam into the party to deal 50% physical damage to them, or spit Sick onto the whole party.
Slithery Dee came from the sea. It hasn't eaten anyone I know personally, but I hear that he'll devour all of your friends before devouring you as well.

Murk can attack three times in one turn. If it watches you, on its next turn it will either bite for 300% physical damage or snake towards you, killing a party member with a chomp the turn after that. You can steal Fishbones from it.
Murk is a bottom feeder that trawls through lake mud, searching for drowning victims. Its teeth can easily crush their bones.

Bosses
High-Level Goon acts twice per turn. He can bully a party member for 150% physical damage, sweep the leg to damage and Startle a party member, or bash a party member's defense to inflict Unguarded and 50% physical damage. If he smirks at you, he will use a more powerful attack next turn, either rampaging for three hits of 150% physical damage each, bash everyone's defense in half, roughhouse for 200% physical damage on your whole party, kick everyone to damage and startle your whole party, or smirk again to delay the stronger attack one more turn.

The Mad Queen is weak to holy attacks, and will change her suit every three turns, changing her moveset. Regardless of suit, she can randomly heal or kill a party member, or else scratch with diseased claws to damage and inflict Withering.
-In spades suit, she can cut everyone's attack in half, counter all physical hits dealt that turn, or burn everyone's magic attack in half, inflicting Uninspired.
-In clubs suit, she can bash everyone's defense in half, attack the entire party, or rampage for three hits of 150% physical damage each.
-In diamonds suit, she can attack with a stat of your current money divided by 100, use darkness to deal 300% magical damage to someone, or inflict Weakpoint on someone.
-In hearts suit, she can either halve someone's HP, halve someone's MP, or swap everybody's HP and MP.

Totem will fight with Information Guy zombies, starting with two, increasing to four at 80% HP, then six at 50% HP. It will also revive its zombies after a few turns of one being dead. When there are zombies up, it can either counter physical attacks or reflect magical attacks. If its eyes glow, it will extend either a counter or reflect to all of its minions next turn. Without zombies, it can attack with mind powers, damaging and Startling a party member, or Mind Control a party member.

Bashicus Maximus has three phases, each lasting one third of his health total.
-In the first phase, he can attack or fire a laser for magical damage. If he flexes, he will slash the party for 150% physical damage next turn. If he charges his core, he will fire a mega beam and deal 300% magical damage to the party.
-In the second phase, he can make himself Alert for five turns. If he flexes, he will either slash the party or counter all physical damage next turn. If he charges his core, he will either fire a mega beam or reflect all magical attacks next turn.
-In the third phase, he no longer needs prep time to slash the party or fire a mega beam. He can also rampage for three hits of 150% physical damage each, or fire a laser to deal magical damage to the whole party.

GAMM-E is immune to all damage; attacking her will instead decrease the counter to her left by one. When the counter reaches zero, she will malfunction and lose a quarter of her health before shifting into the next phase of the fight. The counter starts at 8, goes to 15 after her first malfunction, to 30 after the second, and to 50 after the third. You can steal four 2's, three 3's, two 4's and one 5 from her, which will take the corresponding amount off the counter.
-In the first phase, she can physically attack or fire a laser. If she flashes a warning light, on her next turn she will either shoot a laser at the whole party or rampage for three hits of 150% physical damage each.
-In the second phase, she can now Mind Control a party member, and instead of the whole party laser she will instead fire a mega beam to hit one party member for 400% magical damage.
-In the third phase, her normal physical attack is replaced with the rampage and she gains the ability to Grasp a party member for three turns, damaging them physically during each of those turns. If she flashes a warning light, she will either use the mega beam or use gas to inflict Sleep and Sick on the party next turn.
-In the fourth phase, she can now fire a volley of rockets, dealing 300% physical damage to the whole party, though she must spend a turn reloading them before she can fire again. If she flashes a warning light, she will either use the gas or flood the room with Acid, which deals 25% of the party's max HP in damage over three turns.

FURNITURE UPDATE
Scaly Set (???)
-Fishbones (+2 DEF): Retrieved from a Murk's third stomach. Steal from Murk in Iron Flamingo or Temple of the Inward-Looking Eye.
-Snake Hatrack (+2 MAT): Perfect for various hats worn by various snakes. Steal from The Younger Mr. Asp in The Wilted Lands.
-Vanity Mirror (+2 LUK): A must-have for the self-absorbed. Steal from Naga in Castle Dragon.
-Colorful Lamp (+2 MDF): Careful to not cut yourself on the right angles. Steal from Variable Fish in The World's Library.
-???

Girly Set (+10 ATK and MAT)
-Coffee Maker (+2 AGI): Helga drinks three cups every morning. Steal from Secretary in Accelerated Dynamics.
-Dolly (+2 MAT): Sometimes its head turns to follow your movement. Steal from Dolly in Whispering Valley/Turnbuckle's Mansion.
-Beach Ball (+2 LUK): C-could you g-get this one, Punch? Steal from the Beach Babe with the hula hoop in Bonita Vista.
-Love Seat (+2 MDF): Coils around you for maximum comfort. Steal from Mrs. Asp in The Ultimate Construction.
-High-Heel Shoe (+2 ATK): Super fashionable, super expensive. Steal from Goblin Thief in west King's March.

Gym Set (???)
-Punching Bag (+2 ATK): Can take Buck's mean right hook with ease. Steal from Black Belt in Kung Fu Tower
-Barbell (+2 DEF): For that bulked-up summer body. Steal from summer Metrognome in Fermata Forest.
-Stationary Bike (+2 MDF): Too comical to properly exercise on. Steal from Joker in The Mad Queen's Castle.
-???
-???

Fruity Set (+10 DEF and MDF)
-Apple Clock (+2 MAT): Daily alarm reminds you to eat an apple. Steal from Goblin in north King's March.
-Watermelon Fridge (+2 DEF): Big enough to fit several watermelons, actually. Steal from Goblin Cleric in west King's March.
-Strawberry Bomb (+2 AGI): Blows up the room with sweet goodness. Steal from Robo-Chan in Tetsuya Kawaii.
-Pineapple Drawers (+2 ATK): A little too prickly; Smells tropical. Steal from Goblin Knight in Castle Dragon.
-Banana Phone (+2 MDF): Can be used to contact various primates. Steal from Season Monkey in Rainbow Park.

Weird Set (+3% MP regen and -5% HP regen)
-Big Cheese (+2 MAT): Nice, stinky, swamp cheese. Steal from Scriff Tribesman in Blood Marsh.
-Rainbow (+2 LUK): Wait, where has this been... Steal from Wubbly in the self-help section of The World's Library.
-Fossil (+2 DEF): These skeletons use to be everywhere? Scary! Steal from Fossil Record in the history section of The World's Library.
-Power Core (+2 ATK): Even this back-up core can power a home for weeks. Steal from Security Orb in Central Hub or Sandswept Isle.
-Abstract Art (+2 MDF): Looks like...something. What do you think? Steal from Chatterbox in Temple of Sight.

Floral Set (???)
-Rose Table (+3 ATK): Perfect for a dinner of soil, water and sunshine. Found in the Beehive.
-Happy Little End Table (+3 MAT): Won't stop laughing. Found in Giant Garden.
-Floral Vase (+3 AGI): Now you have one of your own! Found in Grimclaw's Nest.
-Still Life (+3 MDF): You can almost smell the flowers in this painting. Found in The Ultimate Construction.
-???
-???

Musical Set (+20% steal rate)
-Harp (+3 MAT): Unlike Harply, this just sits there. Found in Harply's house in Legato, without Helga in your party.
-Guitar (+3 ATK): Magic strings prevent this from going out of tune. Found in Ebeezil's Domain.
-Speaker Cabinet (+3 MDF): Loudens quiet sounds. Found in Fermata Forest.
-Drum Kit (+3 DEF): An expensive tool for annoying your family. Found in The Mad Queen's Castle.
-Staff Paper (+3 LUK): Contains half a magic song said to cure baldness. Found in Rainbow park.
-Treble Clef (+3 AGI): A huge clef for a huge score. Found in Legato Castle.

Spooky Set (+10% critical rate)
-Screaming Face (+3 MAT): The constant screaming is more annoying than scary. Found in the Abyss beneath Blood Marsh.
-Jack O'Lantern (+3 MDF): Just like the one you carved for Halloween! Found in Turnbuckle's Mansion.
-Guillotine (+3 ATK): I dare you to put your hand in it... Found in Jonathonland.
-Severed Hand (+3 LUK): Every time you look at it, it seems to move closer. Bought from ??? in Ashby's.
-Slaughter Table (+3 AGI): Not perfect for any dinner at all. Found in Blood Marsh.
-Iron Maiden (+3 DEF): Locked up tight. Something scratches the inner walls. Found in Jonathon Bear's Playtime Forest, after clearing it once.

Pixel Set (+25% exp gain, +25% imagination exp gain for Jimmy)
-Treasure Chest (+3 LUK): Filled with really blocky gold. Found in Castle Dragon's reflection.
-Weapon Rack (+3 ATK): Makes more sense in a castle. Found in Kung Fu Tower.
-Throne (+3 DEF): Now you can play as a king! Found in Kingland.
-Tree (+3 MDF): From a scenic countryside to your playroom. Found in west King's March.
-Fountain (+3 AGI): The water's a little scratchy going down. Found in east King's March.
-King (+3 MAT): He seems kind of lost... Reward for beating Coltrane in the Arena.

Geometric Set (???)
-Cube (+3 DEF): What does it do? Why is it here? Found in Symmetrical Cavern.
-Pyramid (+3 MAT): Complete with a tiny pharaoh inside. Found in The World's Library, through the Sneaky Lincoln door.
-Happiness Sphere (+3 LUK): Constantly says, "You will be happy." Found in Temple of Sight.
-Ink Blot (+3 ATK): Reveals your psyche. Found in Asymmetrical Cavern.
-Spinning Top (+3 AGI): Wow, look at it go! Found in The Great Triangle.
-???

Modern Set (???)
-Elegant Ice Swan (+3 DEF): Somehow doesn't melt. Buy from the Shinryu furniture store.
-Skyscraper (+3 ATK): This detailed model was used for city planning. Found in Accelerated Dynamics.
-Sculpture (+3 LUK): Don't look at the price tag... Found in the Land of Fish.
-Mid-size Sedan (+3 AGI): Seems more like a compact car. Found in Subway.
-Plasma Television (+3 MAT): You can't change the channel. Where's the remote? Buy from the Shinryu arcade.
-???

Mystical Set (???)
-Easter Island Statue (+3 DEF): Mainly just scowls at everyone. Found on Dark Dungeon Floors 6-10.
-Voodoo Mask (+3 MAT): Whispered Curses can be heard around it. Found on Dark Dungeon Floors 16-20.
-Holy Grail (+3 MDF): Drinking from this is said to give eternal youth. Found on Dark Dungeon Floors 26-30.
-Stonehenge (+3 LUK): Just part of the Stonehenge, which is okay I guess... Found on Dark Dungeon Floors 36-40.
-Sarcophagus (+3 AGI): An expensive mummy receptacle. Bought with points from Dark Dungeon.
-???

Other
-Slab of Beef (+4 ATK): Unsanitary! Found in Slither's Burrow.
-Bookshelf (+4 MAT): Filled with lengthy books that are hard to read. Found in The World's Library.
-Framed Butterfly (+4 MDF): The butterfly is fastened inside by a few pins. Found in the Halls of Greed.
-Box Fan (+4 AGI): Fun to talk into! Found in Iron Flamingo.
-Dice (+4 LUK): Giant novelty dice used for giant novelty yahtzee. Buy from the Shinryu arcade.
-Pet Turtle (+4 DEF): You'll need at least one more for a proper stack. Found in Mr. Cat's Lair.
-Bronze Jimmy (Counts toward completion of every common set): It's you... only bronze! Talk to sobbing girl after defeating the undead Beach Babe.
-Gold Jimmy (Counts toward completion of every rare set): It's amazing, but... let's melt it down into bars! Reward for beating Bashicus Maximus in the Arena.
-Marvelous Statue (-10 LUK): Exudes an almost ominous aura of failure. Show 15 Marvelous Coins to Mr. Marvelous on Information Isle.

Would you like me to repeat that?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 11, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

i don't remember 666 Kill Chop Deluxe being on OFF's ost ???

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i mostly kid. but that and Pepper Steak really are two of my favourite rpg battle songs of all time

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

All of the Guardians in the family dungeons have a different face drawn on the bags on their heads. I'm not sure whether they're connected to the dungeon their in or why they have bags covering their faces in the first place.

If you recall the dialog one of the princesses gave in the Arena, she says she wanted to bust a wall using a ten-brick punch. Hence why the Kung Fu Tower warriors have that ability. It's a nice, easy-to-miss callback.

Qrr posted:

Given that Hitomi is not real, and is super anime, you could assume that she’s hundreds of years old and yet still looks like a high schooler, because anime.
I was not going to go there

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 11, 2019

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

All of the Guardians in the family dungeons have a different face drawn on the bags on their heads. I'm not sure whether they're connected to the dungeon their in or why they have bags covering their faces in the first place.

They match the personalities of the party members. And by personalities I mean their special traits, like empathy for Jimmy or optimism for Helga. You can see the faces in the equipment screen.

quote:

I was not going to go there

Hence my next sentence after that quote.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Here's what we've got left after tomorrow's update:

1) One more nightmare dungeon;
2) One more nexus orb;
3) Gather up the Legato knights;
4) Finish off Timothy Mouse's quest;
5) Pick Mr. Marvelous up out of the garbage;
6) Get the rest of the lightbulbs;
7) Go to the Volcano;
8) Pulsating Mass;
9) Dark Dungeon Hellstream and Dark Dungeon Real Episode.
10) Super dungeon/super boss that's not at the bottom of the dark dungeon.

Maybe 4-5 left. A couple surprises to go.

I'll miss this game.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 11, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's a volcano? Where?

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

C-Euro posted:

There's a volcano? Where?

its one of the islands you can fly over

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 38 is up

Ayndin joins me for an episode where we explore what it means to be a big brother.

Alternate episode titles: "There's poo poo in my food" and "This game sucks, LP Over."

But I couldn't fool people like that. We're going to finish it.

The Buck portions of this episode are really heavy while the Inward Looking Eye (yes, I did remember the name) portions are actively relatively light.

Rather than a deep psychological exploration of Jimmy's horror, I liked how straightforward and Innsmouthy the Inward looking eye is.

Buck is a good big brother and also a bad big brother. He tries, bless his heart.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
buck will punch a feral dog, he doesn't give a poo poo

should've got yourself some thumbs, dog

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The movie they're talking about is John Carpenter's They Live, by the way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

When I said this back in the Central Core:

Keep that memory of the barking dog with Buck in the background in mind.
This is what I meant. Buck's dungeon and nexus orb dialog show his unorthodox reaction to Jimmy's situation- he's angry that he isn't strong enough to win out. But that doesn't mean he hates him, as hard as that is for Jimmy to comprehend. And by the way, that's another reference to Skin Thieves. It must have left a big impression on Jimmy.

I must say, I don't like the end of the world nightmare dungeon for a big reason: there isn't a way to walk out of it once you descend into the muck. If you're not strong enough to beat the boss, your choices are to either use an Escape Exit or have your whole party die to other enemies so you can get kicked out. The Black Prophet is as good of a choice as any to be overleveled against, since you have to work quickly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh God that sprite of Jimmy with the hat :smith:

These nexus dungeons make the memory caves for the different party members feel a little redundant. I can't recall what those caves did for us other than have a little extra loot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Oh God that sprite of Jimmy with the hat :smith:

These nexus dungeons make the memory caves for the different party members feel a little redundant. I can't recall what those caves did for us other than have a little extra loot.
Also remember that the dialog before Jimmy learns the Rotting Jack O'Lantern form mentions Helga going through his box of things and finding his baseball cap that he wore a lot.

I think of the memory caves as a way of setting the stage for the player to learn more about Jimmy's family further down the line.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

When I said this back in the Central Core:

This is what I meant. Buck's dungeon and nexus orb dialog show his unorthodox reaction to Jimmy's situation- he's angry that he isn't strong enough to win out. But that doesn't mean he hates him, as hard as that is for Jimmy to comprehend. And by the way, that's another reference to Skin Thieves. It must have left a big impression on Jimmy.

Another issue Buck might be facing in regards to Jimmy is that, just simply judging from everything we've seen, he's probably never run into a problem he couldn't overpower. He can't punch the problem away, and he doesn't know any other way to handle it. :(

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Skin Thieves = Invasion of the Body-Snatchers

You need to change the music of the clubhouse, it's been playing there for 20+ in-game hours!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So, wait. What happens if you lose to the boss? Does it just straight up "Game closes" and then you have to reload the save from before the fight? So, if you die there, you have to reload your last save no matter how long ago it was?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

thecluckmeme posted:

So, wait. What happens if you lose to the boss? Does it just straight up "Game closes" and then you have to reload the save from before the fight? So, if you die there, you have to reload your last save no matter how long ago it was?

You get a Game Over screen and it takes you back to the start screen for the game, so yes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Solitair posted:

You get a Game Over screen and it takes you back to the start screen for the game, so yes.

woof

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
That tutorial was there because believe it or not, a handful of people hadn't saved at all up to that point, and had to start from the beginning of the game after the clock hit 13 (RPG Maker doesn't give you the option to incorporate autosaves into your games). Something I think Grandma didn't bring up - the Doomsday Clock has four instances of "Time" to steal, and each one will set it back one hour.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Leroy Dennui posted:

That tutorial was there because believe it or not, a handful of people hadn't saved at all up to that point, and had to start from the beginning of the game after the clock hit 13 (RPG Maker doesn't give you the option to incorporate autosaves into your games). Something I think Grandma didn't bring up - the Doomsday Clock has four instances of "Time" to steal, and each one will set it back one hour.

Yeah, I wasn't nearly that bad, but I hadn't saved for like 3 or 4 hours when I first went to fight that guy. I thought the tutorial was just a funny joke, thought about saving, but didn't.

And then I got absolutely wrecked and lost all that progress.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Been looking forward to this one. Buck's nexus point is my favorite.

Jimmy and Buck's relationship always makes me sad. Jimmy is clearly afraid of Buck while still looking up to him. In Buck's memory cave and Buck's nexus point, Jimmy's action text is "..." Which he only does in nightmare dungeons or zones where he feels afraid. The other 3 family members all get action text in their caves and zones. We don't get any action text showing thoughts/memories about Buck other than in Legato where Jimmy remembers a time he built a castle out of blocks and Buck kicked it over - another negative memory.

And boy I bet Buck is really, really mad with himself for bullying Jimmy now that Jimmy has cancer.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Materant posted:

Another issue Buck might be facing in regards to Jimmy is that, just simply judging from everything we've seen, he's probably never run into a problem he couldn't overpower. He can't punch the problem away, and he doesn't know any other way to handle it. :(

I dont think its so much that as he expected to be the strong big brother, and thats his entire deal ever simce he saw baby Jimmy.
Now that theres something he cant do anything to help hes lost his purpose and is lashing out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Given how their dad is, and their mom's apparent cycling of depression and almost manic happiness, I reaaaally doubt Buck has ever learned how to effectively deal with his emotions. Even the things that actually seem to be real experiences, he doesn't ever seem to get any real discipline for lashing out. Just to the level of "Oh, stop that."

Buck's a dick, but he's also a teenager who is as much a victim of his experiences as Jimmy.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Also depression often manifests as anger in young men, so it makes sense that Buck would seem/be angry.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

that sounds worse

Considering Finnish cuisine you have no right to make judgement calls :colbert:

(I love salmiak though)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
This is the part that killed me during my playthrough. Seeing small bald Jimmy, Buck begging Jimmy to get stronger while hugging him.

Imo bashing that dog was the correct thing to do.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

This is the part that killed me during my playthrough. Seeing small bald Jimmy, Buck begging Jimmy to get stronger while hugging him.
And brushing Jimmy's hair to the side of his forehead. :smith:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

vortmax posted:

Also depression often manifests as anger in young men, so it makes sense that Buck would seem/be angry.
In general, teenagers aren't good at dealing with negative emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 39 is up

Venerable old man and veteran Hot Dad slowbeef joins me in a game he is also playing over at [url]Https://www.twitch.tv/slowbeef ...sometimes.

This is a good episode and also a terrible episode. We have a lot of fun but we don't talk about the game too particularly much-- especially the spiders or the skitter shaman.

Someone starts talking about terrible food and my eyes light up because I love it. And old man beef had a great time, which is always fun to see.

And I made a friend and had a lot of laughs.

Jimmy's anger scene is both comedic and kind of heartbreaking.

Kind of wish I had made fun of shaking the bees.

Commentary On

No Commentary