Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Moose posted:

oh cool its an enchantment that red can destroy

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/1172199904401227776

Can someone help me understand what the "flavor" of this card is exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

Really blurring the line between enchantment and colored artifact.

Flavor.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Sickening posted:

It’s literally the glass casket that Snow White was put into while she slept

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It is also apparently a comfy place for what looks like a fox to curl up and sleep. Judging by the art.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

this is a bizarre approach to magic that i do not subscribe to

It's simple, if they deal with this and then you slam down Nissa, Who Shakes the World or God-Eternal Rhonas or something, they got rid of a 4/4 instead of the much more dangerous thing one mana later.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They're going to be internally debating enchantments vs. artifacts with color for a long time and we're going to see weird things like this until a decision is made. Since the reaction to colored non-vehicle, non-equipment, non-creature artifacts has been pretty negative, I kind of expect they'll start going back to colorless artifacts without subtypes for things that only have activated or static abilities within the next year, two tops.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I actually think flavor is 100 percent a fine answer for why that card is an artifact. Like if you accept that flavor can be the reason, then there’s literally no issue

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

it is kind of funny that you can animate the coffin and have it go stomping over to your opponent and punch them in the face. Little blue fairy waves her magic wand at it and it gets a giant pair of muscular arms coming out of it and 4 +1/+1 counters

but yeah, they should probably cool it on the colored artifacts when it doesn't really matter.

alternatively, they can step up the artifact hate and put that in every color, and make enchantments harder to kill, and use that to differentiate them. If they continue with that philosophy, it also reduces the chance that they make another broken artifact set!

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 12, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

It's the glass casket the freedom fighters put Princess Sally in after she died.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Sickening posted:

Judging by the color I'd say vanilla.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

whydirt posted:

It’s literally the glass casket that Snow White was put into while she slept

But Emmara Tandris is cmc 7

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
What I don't understand is why artifacts and enchantments need to be more mechanically different than "some things effect one thing and not the other"

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Correction, an artifact Journey to Nowhere!

Right, a bad journey to nowhere.

Keep in mind that journey can exile any creature. And this is an artifact and therefore easier to remove.

Flavor.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
WotC is going to gently caress up and print an artifact with etb destroy target enchantment and ruin Modern

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's the glass casket the freedom fighters put Princess Sally in after she died.

Don't worry, few years later that comic series followed.

:negative:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
artifact

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AlternateNu posted:

It’s a turtle hydra. :3:

Not the first one. All hydras might be turtles on this plane.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

Not the first one.

gently caress the Brawl decks. :colbert:

Framboise posted:

Right, a bad journey to nowhere.

Keep in mind that journey can exile any creature. And this is an artifact and therefore easier to remove.

Flavor.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

WotC is going to gently caress up and print an artifact with etb destroy target enchantment and ruin Modern

Why would that ruin modern?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh yeah, so it is. :huh: Though it is literally mercurial.

I'm actually quite alright with this being an enchantment because they're enchanted silks the orc can't just tear through willy nilly.

rkajdi posted:

Because then Mox Opal would get banned, followed by whatever takes over in the wake of the bannings stemming from that.

Edit:
Correct.
v v v

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 12, 2019

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

rkajdi posted:

I'm guessing they mean by giving Affinity an answer to Stony Silence?

Or is it something else?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

Because then Mox Opal would get banned, followed by whatever takes over in the wake of the bannings stemming from that.

Since looting is already gone, I don't see why the other problem enablers (ancient stirrings and mox opal mainly) should still be legal. If people really want "fair" magic, all the gimmick quick game stuff should be gone. I don't think modern would be fun as the collection of midrange piles that would result, but if we're going to ban one quick enabler, all of them should go.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress the Brawl decks. :colbert:

Hey look, a better Glass Casket and worse Journey to Nowhere. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Framboise posted:

Karn can't grab silkwrap out of your sideboard and put it to work punching the opponent to death. :shrug:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rkajdi posted:

Since looting is already gone, I don't see why the other problem enablers (ancient stirrings and mox opal mainly) should still be legal. If people really want "fair" magic, all the gimmick quick game stuff should be gone. I don't think modern would be fun as the collection of midrange piles that would result, but if we're going to ban one quick enabler, all of them should go.

Opal isn't the unfun part, it's Lantern.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Framboise posted:

Did you know that: artifact synergies are much, much stronger than enchantment synergies

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Looting probably should not have been banned (yet)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did you know that: artifact synergies are much, much stronger than enchantment synergies

just wait til theros 2

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I agree. Take Serra's Sanctum off the reserve list and print it into standard.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

AlternateNu posted:

Unironically. Cradle too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

They made Tolarian Academy a creature that also makes a token that partially buys back it’s cost and can also Mind’s Desire so heck, why not

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lone Goat posted:

just wait til theros 2

I just realized, if they bring back Devotion in Theros 2 these 4 CMC hybrid creatures could see play.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tubgoat posted:

Unironically. Cradle too.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They made Tolarian Academy a creature that also makes a token that partially buys back it’s cost and can also Mind’s Desire so heck, why not

I'm still kind of torqued they made flip versions of Academy and Cradle in Ixalan but not a Sanctum.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
to be fair there's not really anything magical about the glass coffin itself, an awake orc would probably go wtf are you doing and punch through it

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Ancient Stirrings is whatever actually, just a stupid cantrip. Mox Opal is a different story, but even with those banned, the most powerful fair cards like jace, sfm, wrenn6 and bloodbraid and a bunch of teferis just dominate the format. Without any cards like those, midrange piles and uw would just dominate the format. Good luck playing wild nacatl and freinds then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fixed phantom

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

dragon enthusiast posted:

to be fair there's not really anything magical about the glass coffin itself, an awake orc would probably go wtf are you doing and punch through it

The magic is the knockout gas inside.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

dragon enthusiast posted:

Or it could stay put and snuggle the fox. CMC four or more and you’ve got better things to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Is this the first Monty Python reference? Proud of wizards for the restraint.