Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Quinton posted:

I'll second that. Just finished Gideon the Ninth and it was an immensely fun read. I suspect people will either absolutely love the rude, snarky, sarcastic POV character or intensely dislike her (what's wrong with you?). The book itself mixes sci-fi, fantasy, horror, locked-in-a-mansion-murder-mystery, etc -- got your undead/undying space emperor, nine houses of different types of necromancers, ancient seat-of-the-empire planet, etc. Gideon's hate/hate relationship with Harrowhark, the heir of her house, powerful necromancer, and sort of horrific younger sister figure is quality fun too.

Regarding LGBT content/romance, the author had this to say over on GoodReads...

I bought this yesterday and ended up reading until 2 AM. If you're wavering on whether or not you want to read a rude, snarky, sarcastic POV, the POV character isn't just an edgelord or whatever. I really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Any more recommends about like, survival against the elements/space colonies/expeditions/exploration books that are SF&F?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, my "to read" list just got a lot longer.

Walh Hara posted:

Borges is exactly who you're looking for. Very similar style. Both are among my favourite writers, not sure whose better.

Start with ficciones.

Do you have a recommended translation?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Any more recommends about like, survival against the elements/space colonies/expeditions/exploration books that are SF&F?

Lem’s Fiasco is amazing. KSR’s Aurora too. Both are unexpected and original takes on space exploration themes.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 12, 2019

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bowser posted:

I asked this in the recommendation thread but didn't get any responses so I'm hoping you guys will be able to help. One thing I really like about Ted Chiang is his ability to take outlandish ideas and flesh them out into fully functional worlds - I'm thinking particularly of his stories "Hell is the Absence of God", in which miraculous visitations by angels are a common occurrence and "Omphalos", in which there's ample evidence that the Young Earth creation story is correct.

Another example of what I'm looking for would be the show The Leftovers. The show starts with a wacky premise and then delves into how different groups would react to it - the preachers, the scientists, the government, the grifters, etc.

I'm looking for other speculative fiction that does this. Stories about a flat earth about ship captains navigating to the edge of the planet, for example. I'd prefer fiction that doesn't include aliens, wizards, or dragons for the most part. Stories with humans as the main characters.

Any suggestions?

"The Gone-Away World" and, to a lesser degree, "Gnomon" by Nick Harkaway come to mind. Borges was an acknowledged influence on the latter.

"The City & The City" by China Mieville also.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 12, 2019

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Lem’s Fiasco is amazing. KSR’s Aurora too. Both are unexpected and original takes on space exploration themes.

Also KSR's Red Mars trilogy

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

bowser posted:

I asked this in the recommendation thread but didn't get any responses so I'm hoping you guys will be able to help. One thing I really like about Ted Chiang is his ability to take outlandish ideas and flesh them out into fully functional worlds - I'm thinking particularly of his stories "Hell is the Absence of God", in which miraculous visitations by angels are a common occurrence and "Omphalos", in which there's ample evidence that the Young Earth creation story is correct.

Another example of what I'm looking for would be the show The Leftovers. The show starts with a wacky premise and then delves into how different groups would react to it - the preachers, the scientists, the government, the grifters, etc.

I'm looking for other speculative fiction that does this. Stories about a flat earth about ship captains navigating to the edge of the planet, for example. I'd prefer fiction that doesn't include aliens, wizards, or dragons for the most part. Stories with humans as the main characters.

Any suggestions?

James Morrow’s Towing Jehovah trilogy, maybe.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Quinton posted:

(Gideon the Ninth spoilers)

Agreed. Seeing the world from Gideon's POV was extremely enjoyable, and I suspect Harrow will also entertain but differently. And there's the open question of "is Gideon really, truly gone?" -- on one hand the NecroLord says you can't un-Lyctor, but on the other hand we have bodies unaccounted for and the NecroLord strikes me as maybe not entirely infallible as gods go. I'm a little bummed that a number of characters I liked were killed off, but enjoy that "nobody's safe" feeling and am hopeful that the second book will introduce some equally enjoyable secondary cast members. Going to be a long wait until next June (per Amazon) for the second book!

don't forget the whole survived-lethal-gas child-of-unknown-origin thing
I'm thinking gideon is gonna get revived eventually

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What's the actual thing I'm interested in, you ask?

Highly advanced technology being perceived as works of actual gods. But not with a modern-day setting. The timeline in my (not-Earth) world is at about approximately Earth around the year 1900. (And the view that the creators of that were gods is not universally held and in dispute.)

Are there any good books using that trope which might be worth looking at?

I found something which is sort-of along those lines purely by accident - something which caught my eye in a used bookstore. It's not actually that close a match, since it's in the Fantasy sub-genre and what seems like magic is, in fact, magic, and the setting is the standard medieval fantasy level of technology, but the setting has some interesting elements, and some of them are somewhat relevant to the book I'm working on.

It's Jennifer Fallon's Hythrun Chronicles series (Medalon, Treason Keep, Harshini). One of the most interesting things about the setting is that the titular country Medalon is a secular matriarchy. It's in fact fanatically secular. It's ruled by the Sisterhood of the Iron Blade, the best bureaucrats in the world (yes, the title is strange). They came to power through a purging of all the heathen culture which previously lived there. Being ruled by bureaucrats, it's a very law-abiding society. The Defenders (the armed forces) are all male (or at least it seems so, otherwise the female protagonist R'shiel would have joined them), and they swear an oath of fealty to the First Sister and have a policy of staying out of the internal politics of the Sisterhood, no matter how much they might personally disagree with the woman in charge. Even the coup which deposes one First Sister so an ambitious one can take her place is done strictly by the rules, which means the military leader's hands are tied so he just stands by and does nothing.

I am enjoying the story, although I'm a little less enthusiastic about it after a certain plot point. The Goddess of Love decides to meddle and magics deserted soldier Tarja to kiss R'shiel mid-argument even though he otherwise wouldn't have at that time and possibly meddles with his head so that he'll only love R'shiel from that point on. That's kinda a bit deus ex machina for my preference And also at that point it had only been about a year at most since they learned that they were not actually blood related, so it's even more complicated (understatement). EDIT: ...After reading a bit more, I suppose the interference ultimately amounted only to a nudge.

Also a little while later there's another deus ex machina: Tarja is captured and tortured (a few broken fingers, a few loose teeth), and the Goddess of Love gets the God of Healing to intervene and heal him. I guess that will probably come into play later to make his unnatural recovery used to slander him as a demon or something. EDIT: It somewhat comes into play because his apparent lack of injuries makes it easier to believe he betrayed the rebels.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 13, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Doctor Jeep posted:

don't forget the whole survived-lethal-gas child-of-unknown-origin thing
I'm thinking gideon is gonna get revived eventually

I personally hope so. It's been a long time since I've had so much fun and been so utterly heartbroken at the end of a novel.

I looked at this book based on the silly blurb when it popped up in my Amazon suggestions because "that has got to be sooo bad", and then I read the reviews. Pre-ordered it based on those and I am supremely happy that I did.

I've suggested it to a few friends with "If you like books about swordplay and ridiculous violence, spells and mysteries, bitter rivalries and friendships, hatred, heartbreak, and hard-headed smart-asses, I genuinely recommend it. Oh, and lots of skeletons."

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 12, 2019

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

bowser posted:

Sorry, I read a Dutch translation...

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

Spite posted:

I liked American Elsewhere a lot. RJB used to write for the front page but it was like 07-08 timeframe maybe? I don't recall his screen name.

I'm vaguely remembering this from way back when and I think I first saw him in this or a similar thread and that his user name was his own name...

bowser posted:

Check out Daryl Gregory, specifically Pandemonium or The Devil's Alphabet - everyone is a human (or at least ish) and they take place on Earth in the present enough day. My favorite book of his is actually Afterparty but I feel you could put that one more solidly in the science fiction pile whereas the label speculative fiction seems to me a better fit for the rest of his books. He's also written a great novella, We Are All Completely Fine, about a support group for people who have survived the equivalent of a Saw movie or a Hills Have Eyes scenario but that is decidedly horror (altho I'm a wimp so ymmv).

ETA: Thanks to everyone who brought up Gideon the Ninth - I'm about half way through and its the most fun I've had with a book in a while.

Rain Brain fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 12, 2019

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

ravenkult posted:

Jonathan Strahan's Infinity Project anthologies are largely about these kinds of things--various sorts of expansion/exploration/colonizing and technology as it changes us through various phases of solar expansion, then galactic and beyond.

Also both Old Mars and Old Venus have a lot of what I'll call 'classic space colonization' stories about people struggling on the edge.

I'm having trouble thinking of novels on the topic even though I know they exist, and that I've read some. Oh, James Alan Gardener's Expendables and sequels fits a lot of that bill. Also Alan Dean Foster's Sentenced to Prism and a few of his other books--Foster is a middling author in most ways, but he writes a pretty good hostile ecosystem. Just avoid any books where he thinks he's being funny.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

bowser posted:

Any suggestions?

I read Alastair Reynolds' Terminal World recently and really liked it - the premise is that the world is divided up into invisible "zones," higher technology only works within certain zones, humans moving between them get sick and sometimes die. Bizarre premise that works really well.

Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee has a world revolving around perception-based physics operating around a religious calendar (or something??) which I can say felt fully realised even if I never understood it - which is possibly the mark of how well realised something is.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Kesper North posted:

"The Gone-Away World" and, to a lesser degree, "Gnomon" by Nick Harkaway come to mind. Borges was an acknowledged influence on the latter.

"The City & The City" by China Mieville also.

Warning: I haven't read The Gone-Away World, but Gnomon is mediocre if not bad. Harkaway spends 600 pages being in love with his cleverness for a coming up with a concept Borges would have handled in 6.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bowser posted:

di Giovanni worked directly with Borges to translate at least two volumes, but they are more difficult to find in print.

Huxley did the Penguin collection and I can't comment on his translation quality but you don't ever feel like you are reading a translation, because Borges is just that loving good. So basically I think it doesn't matter much.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Microcline posted:

Warning: I haven't read The Gone-Away World, but Gnomon is mediocre if not bad. Harkaway spends 600 pages being in love with his cleverness for a coming up with a concept Borges would have handled in 6.

I enjoyed Gnomon, but you absolutely nailed it with this comment.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well, comparing someone unfavourably with Borges is, like... the inverse of damning with faint praise.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm finally caught up on a decade of book backlog and dipped in here to skim a few recommendations, several hours later I'm gonna N'th Gideon the Ninth. It's clever like authors like Rothfuss grasp for and come up empty and nearly every page has some phrase both novel and eminently quotable. Doesn't hurt that it's universe is extra weird.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

ravenkult posted:

Offhand, and you've probably heard these in thread already - Quiet War, Annihilation, Forty Thousand in Gehenna, Children of Time, and Children of Ruin?

I can't think of any survival/expedition/exploration in fantasy, although i feel like there's something on the tip of my tongue. I'd be interested if someone else has one there.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ceebees posted:

I can't think of any survival/expedition/exploration in fantasy, although i feel like there's something on the tip of my tongue. I'd be interested if someone else has one there.

Iron Council and The Scar by China Mieville both fit the bill. Iron Council is pretty woke

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ravenkult posted:

Aurora.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Speaking of Children of Time, something about the smugness/tone of the writing is hurting me bad. Only 4 pages in, and already ready to dumpster it. Luckily it's a library copy and no money was spent on it.

Duke of Uranium by John Barnes is up next for me, and I know it's gonna be poo poo (back bookcover mentions "in the spirit of Harry Harrison and Robert A. Heinlein"). Next book up after that is Mack Reynolds Of Godlike Power, which even the editors apparently found impossible to classify.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Speaking of Children of Time, something about the smugness/tone of the writing is hurting me bad. Only 4 pages in, and already ready to dumpster it. Luckily it's a library copy and no money was spent on it.

Duke of Uranium by John Barnes is up next for me, and I know it's gonna be poo poo (back bookcover mentions "in the spirit of Harry Harrison and Robert A. Heinlein"). Next book up after that is Mack Reynolds Of Godlike Power, which even the editors apparently found impossible to classify.

Pretty sure that's just the way that particular character is portrayed. There's a different pov very soon so I'd say give it a few chapters at least.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

johnsonrod posted:

Pretty sure that's just the way that particular character is portrayed. There's a different pov very soon so I'd say give it a few chapters at least.

Yeah the first POV character is an rear end in a top hat

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Barnes likes to be a bit meta and deconstruct things. It's not his best book or anything close to it, but I thought it was fun. A lot of his viewpoint characters tend to be deliberately bad people in order to make the reader introspect on their own identification points with that protagonist, and that is true here also, so don't go in expecting things to be played straight.

In defense of Harkaway/Gnomon: It was easily one of my favorite books in years, and if you complain that it resembles a book written by someone who has literally just discovered Borges (which is valid, because he literally just had) then you're glossing over what I found to be the good stuff. I found deep and meaningful commonality between the experience of people being gaslit by governments, and the experience of people who have suffered long-term mental and emotional abuse from partners or family that involved such gaslighting, and it was pretty vital in catalyzing my recovery from same. I also find Harkaway's prose beautiful and warm, and generally a pleasure to read. So. YMMV.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 13, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

In defense of Harkaway/Gnomon: It was easily one of my favorite books in years, and if you complain that it resembles a book written by someone who has literally just discovered Borges (which is valid, because he literally just had) then you're glossing over what I found to be the good stuff. I found deep and meaningful commonality between the experience of people being gaslit by governments, and the experience of people who have suffered long-term mental and emotional abuse from partners or family that involved such gaslighting, and it was pretty vital in catalyzing my recovery from same. I also find Harkaway's prose beautiful and warm, and generally a pleasure to read. So. YMMV.
I'm going to agree there; he even references Borges in the text so it's not like he was ripping off. The description about 600 and 6 pages was pretty spot-on, but I don't think that makes Gnomon a bad book, definitely not by the genre's standards.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

anilEhilated posted:

I'm going to agree there; he even references Borges in the text so it's not like he was ripping off. The description about 600 and 6 pages was pretty spot-on, but I don't think that makes Gnomon a bad book, definitely not by the genre's standards.

I mean, I'll reiterate it's a fair critique. When I went to his reading for Gnomon here, he talked specifically about how he'd spent his whole life low key avoiding Borges until recently, and Gnomon was the direct result of his first encounter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Orv posted:

I'm finally caught up on a decade of book backlog and dipped in here to skim a few recommendations, several hours later I'm gonna N'th Gideon the Ninth. It's clever like authors like Rothfuss grasp for and come up empty and nearly every page has some phrase both novel and eminently quotable. Doesn't hurt that it's universe is extra weird.

Ok you've sold me

it's either this or I have to re-read Wheel of Time again, isn't it

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I dropped my Joe Abercrombie re-read for Gideon the Ninth and it was absolutely worth it. A++.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So Amazon calls Gideon #1 best seller in Lesbian Romance. I'm looking at the right book right?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lowness 72 posted:

So Amazon calls Gideon #1 best seller in Lesbian Romance. I'm looking at the right book right?

If you're looking at Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir, yes. Amazon categories can get...weird.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Lowness 72 posted:

Yup, that’s the one!

It’s not a false description, but it’s definitely not accurate.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

mdemone posted:

I enjoyed Gnomon, but you absolutely nailed it with this comment.

I'm also currently enjoying it, and I should probably pick up some Borges from the library next time I visit.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Gave Children of Time a 2nd chance, and it slightly improved (yes, I read fast).
Found the human chapters tedious, while the spider chapters gave the illusion of character development sheerly from re-usage of the same 3 or names for spiders each flash-forward. CoT had the shaky vibe of a 1st time published author going for a detached tone because they were mashing up too many disparate concepts (David Brins Uplift concept, Brian Aldiss's/Greg Bear's generation ship society breakdown, A. Reynolds "coldsleep", Vinge's Deepness in the sky, and finally the planetary monitor/eye in the sky concept from Terry Pratchett's most forgotten novel).
The shaky vibe of CoT was very weird in retrospect given that (checking) Children of Time was Czajkowski's/Tchaikovsky's 11th loving published novel.....unless Czajkowski/Tchaikovsky is massively overrated and people were desperate for A Deepness in the Sky 2.0.

If people are looking for something similar to CoT, James Blish's 1957 short story collection "the Seedling Stars" covers similar ground, more specifically the ocean story with its generational approach. Keep in mind the published date of 1957, some of those stories get weird with DNA and stuff.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Kesper North posted:

I mean, I'll reiterate it's a fair critique. When I went to his reading for Gnomon here, he talked specifically about how he'd spent his whole life low key avoiding Borges until recently, and Gnomon was the direct result of his first encounter.
Can you give me some more context/background on which Borges and what work?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They put the romance in lesbian necromancer :dance:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Khizan posted:

I dropped my Joe Abercrombie re-read for Gideon the Ninth and it was absolutely worth it. A++.

I am just reading the new Abercrombie instead.

Also, selling a book solely based on having lesbian necromancers instead of a description of the story makes me think it is another “great in concept, bad in execution” book.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean that whole quote is not inaccurate, there are lesbians, there is a haunted house, many of them are necromancers, skeletons feature heavily. It is also grossly underselling how good the book is and it does anything but fail to execute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

never judge a book by its blurb

im always telling people how bad the blurb for Use of Weapons is vs. how good the blurb for Consider Phlebas is, and those are two books in the same series from the same publisher!