Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Considering that only three, or arguably four, of the Japanese Godzilla films could be considered capital C cinema and the rest are fun kids films a whole lot of you have some kind of elevated view of them.

Get out of the thread imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"World building" isn't real and there isn't a single franchise that doesn't discard/mutate both thematic and plot elements from one film to another.

I agree, and discarding certain elements can be done well to tell a story that people connect with, or poorly to create dissonance between two related movies. KOTM felt very much like the latter to me, particularly with regards to Godzilla's new characterization as a vengeful and petty titan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Get out of the thread imo.

you would think 15 Godzilla movies getting added to the Criterion collection would get people to accept they're actual movies but i guess not

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you would think 15 Godzilla movies getting added to the Criterion collection would get people to accept they're actual movies but i guess not

They should have added all 30+ :colbert:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shouldn’t “capital C cinema” have an actual capital C?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dammerung posted:

I agree, and discarding certain elements can be done well to tell a story that people connect with, or poorly to create dissonance between two related movies. KOTM felt very much like the latter to me, particularly with regards to Godzilla's new characterization as a vengeful and petty titan.

The end of Godzilla '14 is "Savior of the City? this dude wrecked a whole bunch of stuff" and KOTM is "savior of all humanity, actually, and yeah he wrecks stuff"

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

The end of Godzilla '14 is "Savior of the City? this dude wrecked a whole bunch of stuff" and KOTM is "savior of all humanity, actually, and yeah he wrecks stuff"

"For now" is the last stated line in the movie. It hardly seems to establish him as a savior of humanity out of anything other than convenience. Compare the bridge scene in 2014 and his brief encounter with Ford Brody to his return/resurrection in KOTM, there's a huge distinction in how he treats and responds to humanity.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He looks at them and shows off. The movie is obsessed with displays of power from the good-guy kaiju in it, whether it be Mothra unfurling her big beautiful glowing wings or Godzilla blowing big blue atomic fireworks.

I do agree that some of the "I'm too old for this poo poo" angle of Godzilla from '14 got dropped but it wasn't replaced by malevolence.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

He looks at them and shows off. The movie is obsessed with displays of power from the good-guy kaiju in it, whether it be Mothra unfurling her big beautiful glowing wings or Godzilla blowing big blue atomic fireworks.

I’d actually pinpoint that as being the main failure of the movie: the monsters have this almost desperation to impress that ultimately makes them come across as smaller. Like, psychologically small.

The gold guy bites a power line and blasts the entire sky with electricity, and I can’t for the life of me tell you how this makes him more dangerous than he was previously - let alone why he didn’t do it earlier.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I do agree that some of the "I'm too old for this poo poo" angle of Godzilla from '14 got dropped but it wasn't replaced by malevolence.

Why do they feel the need to show off and intimidate humans? To me, it made them look either needlessly cruel or frightened of humans. Which is an interesting direction to take the titans in, it almost reminded me of GINO.

And I would disagree about Godzilla not acting negatively - if this isn't malevolence, it's the next closest thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I’d actually pinpoint that as being the main failure of the movie: the monsters have this almost desperation to impress that ultimately makes them come across as smaller. Like, psychologically small.

The gold guy bites a power line and blasts the entire sky with electricity, and I can’t for the life of me tell you how this makes him more dangerous than he was previously - let alone why he didn’t do it earlier.

I mean, that's a fair criticism. G'14 destroys your town without even intending to because it's an anthill to him and he's on the way to a Big Rumble. G'19 flexes and poses and shows off to you. Look at meeeeee! Good thing I did, in fact, want to look at him.

Dammerung posted:

And I would disagree about Godzilla not acting negatively - if this isn't malevolence, it's the next closest thing.

It's a badass glower, gimme a break. If Godzilla wanted those guys dead they're fuckin' dead. Again it's "I'm so badass, look at how badass I am!"

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

It's a badass glower, gimme a break. If Godzilla wanted those guys dead they're fuckin' dead. Again it's "I'm so badass, look at how badass I am!"

Godzilla 2019 seems small and insecure and the furthest thing from a badass, especially because he wouldn't be alive without those guys that he's glowering at.

And your characterization of Godzilla in the 2014 movie has some holes in it. Have you ever had this kind of a moment with an ant? It seems telling to me that Godzilla 2019's characterization can be reduced down to "he's trying to be a badass" whereas Godzilla 2014 is a bit less easily defined.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dammerung posted:

Godzilla 2019 seems small and insecure and the furthest thing from a badass, especially because he wouldn't be alive without those guys that he's glowering at.

Those guys also hosed him over in the first place. He was winning.

I've never said Godzilla thinks people are ants, but it's totally in the film's text that he fucks up most of Oahu with a tsunami and doesn't give a poo poo, nor does he give a poo poo about the skyscraper he turfs the male MUTO into.

BTW if I find an ant or a spider in my house I put it outside. But I've definitely hosed up all their poo poo when gardening and not particularly cared. Things to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The G14 Godzilla was doing pest control. The G19 Godzilla was facing a challenger for his crown; he acknowledges humans helped him but he makes sure they recognize he is in charge, especially considering humans reacted to every move he made in the movie with aggression, up to trying to kill him. If humans want to join the fight, they need to recognize their place as a subordinate to his rule. Godzilla enforced peaceful coexistence between titans and humans, but that ultimately keeps both groups in check. He's not really protecting us from titan aggression, he's keeping everyone in line

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

No that would just be “Cinema” instead of explaining it as “capital C cinema” for emphasis.

I love G movies and have been watching them for longer than most of you have probably been alive but I wouldn’t call most of them important movies or anything. But they are great fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

The G14 Godzilla was doing pest control. The G19 Godzilla was facing a challenger for his crown; he acknowledges humans helped him but he makes sure they recognize he is in charge, especially considering humans reacted to every move he made in the movie with aggression, up to trying to kill him. If humans want to join the fight, they need to recognize their place as a subordinate to his rule. Godzilla enforced peaceful coexistence between titans and humans, but that ultimately keeps both groups in check. He's not really protecting us from titan aggression, he's keeping everyone in line

You might even say he's the king....of the monsters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No that would just be “Cinema” instead of explaining it as “capital C cinema” for emphasis.

I love G movies and have been watching them for longer than most of you have probably been alive but I wouldn’t call most of them important movies or anything. But they are great fun.

Honestly you're probably about right on Movies that Try To Be Actual Movies, related to Godzilla.

Just on the Japanese side, since all of the American ones have done so with gusto even if the end result can be questionable, you have G'54, Godzilla VS Mothra '64, (GRA is way too much of a quickie cash grab for its own good. It COULD Have been a classic if they gave it more time and some more script passes but they didn't) G'84, and Shin Godzilla

Godzilla VS Destroyah is an interesting one as is Biollante, but neither try to be as cinematic as the other films. They're borderline cases.

This does not denote The Best or even My Favorite Godzilla films- because Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla '74 is one of my all time favorite Godzilla films ever- but yeah. VS Mothra is the big exception to the VS rule because it's tackled with a lot of sincerity and earnestness, where it really is about the over all story rather than the title fight.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Those guys also hosed him over in the first place. He was winning.

I've never said Godzilla thinks people are ants, but it's totally in the film's text that he fucks up most of Oahu with a tsunami and doesn't give a poo poo, nor does he give a poo poo about the skyscraper he turfs the male MUTO into.

BTW if I find an ant or a spider in my house I put it outside. But I've definitely hosed up all their poo poo when gardening and not particularly cared. Things to do.

Both of those things are in the film's text, but they don't support a Godzilla which can be as easily defined as him wanting to act like a badass. I guess that's where a lot of my love for his characterization comes from - he's certainly powerful, but much more enigmatic and less easily comprehensible or defined.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The MUTOs were implied to be responsible for the deaths of his relatives way back when and almost killed him in a straight fight. I'm not sure if I would agree with it being only pest control in that context! Ford Brody's role in 2014 was only different from those within Monarch in 2019 by virtue of him not being part of a larger group/organization. Godzilla didn't feel the need to react to humanity's previous efforts to kill him in 2014 or threaten them (as highlighted by his reaction to getting shot at, interactions with Ford, and peaceful departure at the end of the film.) Going along the new motivations for the actions of the 2019 Godzilla, it seems that what distinguishes him from how he was in 2014 is that he's more frightened and insecure, which are interesting traits for sure! Not ones that I necessarily like, but they do seem part of an interesting interpretation of the character.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dammerung posted:

Why do they feel the need to show off and intimidate humans? To me, it made them look either needlessly cruel or frightened of humans. Which is an interesting direction to take the titans in, it almost reminded me of GINO.

Because humans are the other Apex predator. They literally state this in the movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vince MechMahon posted:

Because humans are the other Apex predator. They literally state this in the movie.

Humans aren’t apex predators.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Vince MechMahon posted:

It seems like the Oxygen Destroyer would have been what convinced Godzilla, but we also see him pitching tantrums while Monarch is monitoring him. What was the moment wherein the switch happened in Godzilla's mind? It's another weird detail that doesn't seem to go anywhere and is only confusing when 2014 is brought into the equation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dammerung posted:

It seems like the Oxygen Destroyer would have been what convinced Godzilla, but we also see him pitching tantrums while Monarch is monitoring him. What was the moment wherein the switch happened in Godzilla's mind? It's another weird detail that doesn't seem to go anywhere and is only confusing when 2014 is brought into the equation.

He only started getting aggressive to humanity when he realized they were about to release Ghidorah.

That wasn't him being a dick for no reason, that was him telling them to KNOCK THAT poo poo OFF

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Burkion posted:

He only started getting aggressive to humanity when he realized they were about to release Ghidorah.

How would he know that?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Burkion posted:

That wasn't him being a dick for no reason, that was him telling them to KNOCK THAT poo poo OFF

Why didn't he go there to stop them? Why screw around for years threatening researchers?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

How would he know that?

Because he could hear the signal they were using.

This isn't very difficult. They set off the signal to wake up Ghidorah, Godzilla gets pissed off

You can make it more than it is and question it but that is the intent

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Burkion posted:

Because he could hear the signal they were using.

This isn't very difficult. They set off the signal to wake up Ghidorah, Godzilla gets pissed off

You can make it more than it is and question it but that is the intent

But the scene with the Orca being used to awaken Ghidorah doesn't happen until after Godzilla threatens the Monarch researchers. And why did he threaten them if they weren't the ones waking up Ghidorah?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Humans aren’t apex predators.

I mean this is wrong but I think I get what you mean: a lion or whatever can eat one human just fine. A group of humans, especially ones who live in some sort of society, are absolutely a 'collective apex predator', so to speak.

The film then tries to extrapolate this out to 'human civilisation is the newest kaiju', which is dumb, because even an idiot animal could look at humans and figure out there's a bunch of different groups all fighting each other. We're not even a bunch of smaller organisms working together like a man o' war, because man o' wars don't nuke themselves.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ungulateman posted:

I mean this is wrong but I think I get what you mean: a lion or whatever can eat one human just fine. A group of humans, especially ones who live in some sort of society, are absolutely a 'collective apex predator', so to speak.

No, it’s like the ‘alpha’ thing - what you’ve written is how the scientific term is used in everyday speech, but it’s not really true except under very specific conditions.

Apex predator status is determined by what’s called a species’ ‘trophic level’, and humanity is collectively too omnivorous to qualify. The amount of plants in the human diet puts them near the middle of the metaphorical pyramid.

(From what I understand, human trophic levels only begin to approach the apex in specific communities that rely heavily on fish for sustenance.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Likewise, Godzilla, who seems to subsist primarily on radiation, is more similar to plants or some hydrothermal bacteria than a predator of any sort.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

Likewise, Godzilla, who seems to subsist primarily on radiation, is more similar to plants or some hydrothermal bacteria than a predator of any sort.

Exactly - Earth’s top apex predators are actually killer whales, and they are usually considered endangered species.

(Imagine Godzilla crushing a pod of orcas because he feels threatened by their apex predator status. Shamu, Queen Of The Animals!)

People are (mis)using these terms to express value judgements, so “apex predator” here means best at violence. And this concept of apex/alpha predator is then conflated with the concept of “alpha males” to create this fantasy ecology where the animals who are ‘best at violence’ become the dads of other species.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 13, 2019

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Remember that when you use words you must use them only in their most strick scientific usage.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

UmOk posted:

strick

Please do not troll

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Remember that when you use words you must use them only in their most strick scientific usage.

You don’t have to do anything, but actions have consequences.

In this case, the consequence is that the characters in the film are pseudoscientists and their explanations for the animals’ behaviour are false.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I totally understand ignoring the "human parts" of a Godzilla movie to enjoy the monster fights. I'd argue that they're one story and it doesn't make sense to do that, but I get it. But the family drama in this Godzilla movie is too obnoxious to be ignored.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

imagine thinking kotm is more than just okay with a bucket full of caveats, what an oblivious existence

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

I totally understand ignoring the "human parts" of a Godzilla movie to enjoy the monster fights. I'd argue that they're one story and it doesn't make sense to do that, but I get it. But the family drama in this Godzilla movie is too obnoxious to be ignored.

And yet, I ignored it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Why would you watch a movie like KOTM with boring characters when you can watch a movie like Godzilla vs Megalon about an inventor guy with a cool houseand his "friend" that races cars and their robot that can changes size at will.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

And yet, I ignored it.

“I don’t care that the human character suck; I just watch these movies for the monster action.”

Ok, so what are the monsters actually, like, doing? Their actions and motives are really unclear.

“Well according to the human characters...”

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

And yet, I ignored it.

I think that any film which is only enjoyable/tolerable if half of it is ignored can't be considered a good film. Enjoyable, sure, but certainly not good. Would it perhaps be more accurate to say that there are a number of scenes in the movie that, when removed from context, you find very enjoyable?