Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The hard part is the image processing to figure out where their eyes are. Or even being able to image it around the glare of their headlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

just keep a handful of caltrops in your cupholder, no need to overthink things.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
guy on a motorcycle was lanesplitting in morning commute the other day. said to my self "that dude is gonna get doored" and sure enough 30 seconds later someone swerves to block dude's way. they had a Little Conversation and the guy moved on. thought i was gonna see some road rage fighting. shame.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

The hard part is the image processing to figure out where their eyes are. Or even being able to image it around the glare of their headlights.

Just modify the trunk or hatch like one of these signs, where it goes from matching the car's finish to flipping into a mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGSLJDcq47I

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Caption: "Commitment"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
How?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Why?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

xzzy posted:

Just slap a strip of retroreflective tape across the back.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I can at least answer the “Where” and guess AAMMMERRRIIICCAAAA. :patriot:

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
I hear the train a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Brolander posted:

guy on a motorcycle was lanesplitting in morning commute the other day. said to my self "that dude is gonna get doored" and sure enough 30 seconds later someone swerves to block dude's way. they had a Little Conversation and the guy moved on. thought i was gonna see some road rage fighting. shame.

Cool thing about lanesplitting is anybody you piss off stays stuck in traffic further and further behind you. Also, if you're lanesplitting fast enough that you can't watch & brake for a door, or where getting doored would kill you, IMO you're going too fast.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NoWake posted:

Cool thing about lanesplitting is anybody you piss off stays stuck in traffic further and further behind you. Also, if you're lanesplitting fast enough that you can't watch & brake for a door, or where getting doored would kill you, IMO you're going too fast.
Dooring has killed cyclists, so you don't need to be going that fast.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if youre riding your lifestyle choice in traffic its not like living is particularly high on your priority list

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

Dooring has killed cyclists, so you don't need to be going that fast.

Wet leaves have killed cyclists

Cyclists are fragile as gently caress. Their bones have the consistency of pretzels.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Powershift posted:

Wet leaves have killed cyclists

Cyclists are fragile as gently caress. Their bones have the consistency of pretzels.

Remember, a pretzel nearly killed dubya!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Remember, a pretzel nearly killed dubya!

What a letdown. Pretzels are cock teases I tell you.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

if youre riding your lifestyle choice in traffic its not like living is particularly high on your priority list

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

chumming the highway

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/load-alberta-highway-unsafe-1.5277048

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Can't help but feel they're on the way back from a "load any trailer with as much derelict farm equipment as you can for $500" sale.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Yesterday I saw a crossover vehicle with running boards. It was a Buick Encore and I looked it up and the ground clearance is 6.2 in.

Edit: My 2009 Civic has a ground clearance of 5.9 in.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 12, 2019

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

waffle iron posted:

Yesterday I saw a crossover vehicle with running boards. It was a Buick Encore and I looked it up and the ground clearance is 6.2 in.

It's a Buick, the target demo is, what, 70+?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The majority of crossovers have full on given up any pretense of offroad abilities. They're all about providing an upright seating position on a car-like ride.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think I can fit 33/12.5r15s without a lift and that would give me 9 inches but my approach and departure angles would still be single digits.

I have said before I like the cuv concept because they are selling cars to people who want trucks but should be in cars.

I just wish they weren't in an ugliness competition, and didn't kill all the cars.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Yet he's not riding a motorcycle is he

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

waffle iron posted:

My 2002 Monte Carlo had 6.2" of ground clearance and I can confirm it was sufficient to carefully drive fully onto a curb and grass area, then down off the other side to escape a parking lot that had a locked gate late at night. That's all the off-roading most city folk will ever need.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've made some really silly decisions with my 5.5 inches of clearance city car and managed to not break anything or get stuck. Obviously there's a very firm limit to how "off road" such a car can go but if you go slow and keep the tires out of holes a lot more forest service roads are accessible than you'd initially think.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

xzzy posted:

I've made some really silly decisions with my 5.5 inches of clearance city car and managed to not break anything or get stuck. Obviously there's a very firm limit to how "off road" such a car can go but if you go slow and keep the tires out of holes a lot more forest service roads are accessible than you'd initially think.

*watches as a rock in the middle of a forest service road takes out xzzy's oil pan*

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PremiumSupport posted:

*watches as a rock in the middle of a forest service road takes out xzzy's oil pan*

Rocks are some people's natural enemies.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/next/drivers-cant-stop-running-over-this-rock-by-the-colorado-mills-target/412803465

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Article posted:

at least people who hit it are validated. They know they're not alone.

Yeah sorry but just because there are a lot of bad drivers out there doesn't make it any better that you're one of them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PremiumSupport posted:

It would make me internet infamous at least so I don't see any downsides!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
mildly related: I just found out that one of my coworkers (whom I very rarely interact with) is a chud, as I was browsing Facebook marketplace and came across his ad for some metal keys you can get your Bitcoin wallet key engraved in. Imagine my lols. I dug deeper and saw that he was a fan of Carson in the primaries and is now a very quiet Trumper. LMAO he works in a company of progressive scientists. However, the ability of engineers to be complete chuds is also absolutely amazing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Last night I was pulling out of a parking lot and almost got t-boner by some guy on a bike who was going against traffic, running a red light, with no lights on his bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

mildly related: I just found out that one of my coworkers (whom I very rarely interact with) is a chud, as I was browsing Facebook marketplace and came across his ad for some metal keys you can get your Bitcoin wallet key engraved in. Imagine my lols. I dug deeper and saw that he was a fan of Carson in the primaries and is now a very quiet Trumper. LMAO he works in a company of progressive scientists. However, the ability of engineers to be complete chuds is also absolutely amazing.

Source your quotes

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lol wrong thread.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Caption: "Commitment"

Boomers love simple machines like lovers, pullies, and inclined planes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Oscar Wild posted:

Boomers love simple machines like lovers, pullies, and inclined planes.

Good, looks like they've got an expensive teeter-totter now

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That those things don't require a class A is complete bullshit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Javid posted:

That those things don't require a class A is complete bullshit.

"What? This isn't mine. It's owned by fun times llc in cutbank, mt. I just found it like this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

xzzy posted:

The narrow width and picking your line goes a long way. I went from a camry to a suburban and I’m actually more wary now in the suburban because it’s clearance isn’t great and it’s wide, harder to pick a line. Whereas a camry that’s on a road rutted out by wide cars can put a tire on the edge and one on the middle bump and beast thru