Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

mearn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEGs_ierWo

I always enjoyed Kevin Nash encouraging you to pick somebody else. Didn't even want to work more than he had to in a video game

I’m pretty sure some of the wrestlers misunderstood and thought they were being picked as opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I’m pretty sure some of the wrestlers misunderstood and thought they were being picked as opponents.

like, half of them seem to have been told that, but then you have guys like Nash and Scott Norton and Alex Wright and Piper who are talking about you picking them to play with

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Alaois posted:

like, half of them seem to have been told that, but then you have guys like Nash and Scott Norton and Alex Wright and Piper who are talking about you picking them to play with

WCW being inconsistent with the things it tells it's wrestlers? That's unpossible.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I preferred the PS1 wrestling games to the N64 ones because the N64 ones were all about reversal timing and I couldn't do it so I'd get really mad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked doing a fireball motion to do a suplex or whatever. That was cool, Acclaim.

(The PS1 THQ games didn't seem awful at the time, though.)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Endless Mike posted:

I liked doing a fireball motion to do a suplex or whatever. That was cool, Acclaim.

(The PS1 THQ games didn't seem awful at the time, though.)

You see, I super loved that too.
And the character models were less ugly on the PS1.
All I wanted out of a wrestling game is to make myself and live out my dream of being a pro wrestler.
(And the N64 controller was a poorly designed trash fire)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 12, 2019

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Alaois posted:

there was a very good AJPW game on the PS1 but it never came out in the US. All Japan Pro Wrestling - King's Soul

The best AJPW game is Giant Gram 2000

I have to bring this up anytime someone mentions wrestling games

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I still have a soft spot for WrestleMania: The Arcade Game. I mean, come on, you can hit people with tombstones and giant hammers, and Yokozuna bleeds ham hocks when you smack him around.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

mearn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEGs_ierWo

I always enjoyed Kevin Nash encouraging you to pick somebody else. Didn't even want to work more than he had to in a video game

bret calling it "The WCW" will never not be funny

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Low Desert Punk posted:

bret calling it "The WCW" will never not be funny
wcwwrestling.com

World Championship Wrestling Wrestling dot com

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yes, Alex Wright, I know that you are German.

Scott Norton is the only one who seems to be genuinely on my side here.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Scott Norton seemed like the real life version of those giant wrestlers who'd appear in the Dragon Ball Budokai tournaments.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Scott Norton looked like he could successfully wrestle a bear, then poo poo in it's mouth.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

iamsosmrt posted:

Scott Norton seemed like the real life version of those giant wrestlers who'd appear in the Dragon Ball Budokai tournaments.
Norton would beat Goku in an eating contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKxXr1s2TDw

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man, I have trouble eating ONE pancake...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you have your hands tied behind our back or something?

EDIT: Preemptive apology if you have no hands or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He's twice the man you are, and has half the hands you do,

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you have your hands tied behind our back or something?

EDIT: Preemptive apology if you have no hands or something.

No. Pancakes just make me queasy.
That's why I stick with waffles and french toast.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Once pancakes get soggy they're gross piles of mush

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't even understand why it's called a waffle iron. Wouldn't that flatten out all the little squares?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

i like to let the bacon rest on my pancakes instead of syrup. but that's mostly because I steal breakfast from the breakroom in a nearby business. Have to be very quick, you see.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Once pancakes get soggy they're gross piles of mush

sounds like someone needs to just pick up the drat pace

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

mactheknife posted:

sounds like someone needs to just pick up the drat pace

Sometimes you just can't pretend you're on man vs food when you're with a group of people but when you're alone sure all bets are off

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Sometimes you just can't pretend you're on man vs food when you're with a group of people but when you're alone sure all bets are off

Yeah, but when you're alone there's nobody around to give you the Heimlich when you end up choking on your breakfast. It's a conundrum.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Now I have a lot to think about

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think pancakes should be ironed. And waffles should be dry cleaned.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

He was in the WCW Thunder videogame, as the guy who yelled "REEEEEEEEESE!" as his only voiced line

Back when Revenge was out, me and my friend played it religiously and it was what drew us into watching WCW to begin with. By the time we were playing the game, the actual Flock was broken up and Reese was phased out, so we knew pretty much nothing about him. I still played as him because there was a fun novelty to the mysterious, mohawked grunge giant.

One day, we're watching some MTV show that was a documentary about the ordinary day for a VJ. There's a part where a tired Jesse Camp or Carson Daly was picking up fan mail and mentioned, "Tyrese gets all the mail." My friend immediately perked up and went, "Reese gets all the mail?!"

From that day on, we'd constantly bring that up while playing Revenge. Reese was tall, knew Raven and was constantly overwhelmed with post office deliveries. That's all we knew. And it was enough.

That is my Reese story.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gavok posted:

Back when Revenge was out, me and my friend played it religiously and it was what drew us into watching WCW to begin with. By the time we were playing the game, the actual Flock was broken up and Reese was phased out, so we knew pretty much nothing about him. I still played as him because there was a fun novelty to the mysterious, mohawked grunge giant.

One day, we're watching some MTV show that was a documentary about the ordinary day for a VJ. There's a part where a tired Jesse Camp or Carson Daly was picking up fan mail and mentioned, "Tyrese gets all the mail." My friend immediately perked up and went, "Reese gets all the mail?!"

From that day on, we'd constantly bring that up while playing Revenge. Reese was tall, knew Raven and was constantly overwhelmed with post office deliveries. That's all we knew. And it was enough.

That is my Reese story.

Stories like these are why I love the WCW thread and will never stop reading it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did you use the create a costume function to give him a mailman uniform?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
https://wwfoldschool.com/wcw-all-nighter/

Here's the match listing for todays from the vault drop. I remember taping this as a kid, make sure you watch this show because it's so loving good. It's Schavonie, Bobby, Dusty, Zybzcko, Mean Gene and Gordon Solie in a hotel room at what appears to be a childrens wcw themed birthday party watching a top 10 clash of the champions countdown.

It's 6 hours, which is the exact time of a home vhs tape. I gotta say with tape trading taking off in the early 90's this was a genius way to promote wcw. And they were smart with the match selection, 8 Flair matches, 2 Hogan matches. It's legitimately a selection of 12 great or cool matches and not about promoting Hogan and his buddies. A lot of these matches have guys that I believe were retired or gone from WCW.

This was absolutely made for smarks at the time and the way Ted Turner loved wrestling it was probably pretty easy to convince the TBS programmers to give up a 6 hour chunk 12:05-6:05 on a saturday or sunday morning instead of showing a couple movies and little rascals reruns.

Turns out both Hogan matches were bonus matches, but pretty cool that they they were both recent ppv matches, his debut cage match against flair and War Games vs the Dungeon of Doom.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

have you tried emulating a dreamcast lately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Alaois posted:

have you tried emulating a dreamcast lately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gently caress no i have a dreamcast and crt

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The American Dream posted:

https://wwfoldschool.com/wcw-all-nighter/

Here's the match listing for todays from the vault drop. I remember taping this as a kid, make sure you watch this show because it's so loving good. It's Schavonie, Bobby, Dusty, Zybzcko, Mean Gene and Gordon Solie in a hotel room at what appears to be a childrens wcw themed birthday party watching a top 10 clash of the champions countdown.

It's 6 hours, which is the exact time of a home vhs tape. I gotta say with tape trading taking off in the early 90's this was a genius way to promote wcw. And they were smart with the match selection, 8 Flair matches, 2 Hogan matches. It's legitimately a selection of 12 great or cool matches and not about promoting Hogan and his buddies. A lot of these matches have guys that I believe were retired or gone from WCW.

This was absolutely made for smarks at the time and the way Ted Turner loved wrestling it was probably pretty easy to convince the TBS programmers to give up a 6 hour chunk 12:05-6:05 on a saturday or sunday morning instead of showing a couple movies and little rascals reruns.

Turns out both Hogan matches were bonus matches, but pretty cool that they they were both recent ppv matches, his debut cage match against flair and War Games vs the Dungeon of Doom.

There were at least two All-Nighters. The Clash special was the last of them and not the one that you've linked. There were some similar listings such as the 1988 Clash match with Flair and Sting, and the Magnum T.A. confrontation. I think the Mulkeys were on there, too. I have most of the Clash special kicking around on VHS tape somewhere.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Scroll down a bit, it lists both shows

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

gently caress no i have a dreamcast and crt

oooooh well look at mister big shot over here

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

When are those All Nighters gonna get shown on PSP-TV

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

And then I inevitably have to back up this point with the awesome create a wrestler mode.

I do remember picking up a used copy from a site about 12 years ago for very cheap and realising that Japan has very different ideas about what used games are compared to the rest of the world.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Hoss Corncave posted:

And then I inevitably have to back up this point with the awesome create a wrestler mode.

I do remember picking up a used copy from a site about 12 years ago for very cheap and realising that Japan has very different ideas about what used games are compared to the rest of the world.

Please explain what you mean.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Nystral posted:

Please explain what you mean.
Used games from Japan are often in really, really good condition. I have some boxed Super Famicom games and they look like they've been hermetically sealed for the last 25 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I actually have good memories of Mayhem! Less so Backstage Assault.

Having played both really my only good memory of them is Bobby Heenan's commentary line about the "greco-roman low blow", which I think was in both but might've only been one of them. Can't remember which.