Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

And that is why I always play with ProjectE :downs: I don't even bother abusing EMC loops or collectors, the QoL of going mining and then being able to grab components without having to craft every one manually is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xun posted:

And that is why I always play with ProjectE :downs: I don't even bother abusing EMC loops or collectors, the QoL of going mining and then being able to grab components without having to craft every one manually is awesome.

Equivalent Skies manages to make a Skyblock with ProjectE unlocked from the start into an extremely boring and grindy experience. Not even ProjectE can save you from bad design.

Minecraft is just not Factorio or Infinifactory. It can’t be. It sucks at that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely have enjoyed stuff like Thaumcraft more than most mods because it fits well with the fact that minecraft is a first person lego game, it gets you to build fun looking stuff. Sadly some of the things like the ambient effects of everything near a research bench seem to have been taken out in the latest version.

More modpacks would benefit from that philosophy I think though, introducing cool looking things to build and a focus on the experience of using them, minecraft is quite a tactile game and a lot of mods seem to work really hard at taking that out and turning it into a number cruncher.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tyty posted:

I've seen people complain about it and sometimes modpack authors will slide in with a smug-rear end "You need to automate it" but it's like they don't even understand their own design.

Why on earth would I sink the resources into automating, say, thermex coils, in a pack where the endgame is EnderIO and you haven't changed the recipes? Why would I devote so much of my resource income to something that I'm ultimately going to need -maybe- 10 of? Not only do minecraft modpacks not have many shared components, even in a skyblock where the resource income is renewable and automated, the resource cost is almost way too prohibitive to actually automate anything. It often costs a lot of metal to actually make the tubes/conveyors/whatever, but the sheer resource drain of making a chest full of something is going to leave you with none of those materials for an amount of time. Nobody is going to automate anything with that much of a cost to them, so players end up either hand-crafting everything or rushing to AE2/RS as fast as possible to get around crafting chains altogether. And that's without things like GregTech levels of complexity which just makes the whole mess go from tedious to unfun.

I'd like to see a pack focused on automation designed like Factorio, but I don't think Minecraft as a game is at all built for the massive resource draw necessary for something like that. Maybe you'd be able to get away with it on a skyblock but then it wouldn't be much different than any other skyblock, you just wouldn't need to make literally everything from every tech mod in the pack for no reason.
This is both why modded Minecraft, for me, became a thing I'd only play before work (then just leave it running while I was at work for resources to build up) and a thing that I just... don't give a poo poo about playing any more. Sure, it's fun the first time you automate a sequence of machines to turn cobble/sand into rich phyto-grow, and it's fun the first time you build a power system involving gas burning generators, a melon cloche, and most of Mekanism's HDPE production line, but after that first time it just feels like everything's going through the motions but this time the iron ore processor's named the Crusher instead of the Pulverizer.

Modpacks seemed like they were "solving" this by requiring more resources to build the machines, then neutering the potentially fun mods because they'd cause lag on the machine network required to run your storage system or gather the resources required to do the bare minimum. It's not fun to me. At least it made me weirdly grow to appreciate Vanilla more, somehow?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I really think the best way to go about integrating different mods into each other is to pick one basic resource from each mod and make that the gating mechanic, then use the previous mod(s) in the stack to provide the methods of obtaining that resource.

For example, like I did in DPT6 (before I admittedly got a little bogged down in the same "craft bits to craft bits to craft the thing" design flaw), if you have IE and TE in the same pack, TE machines should be an upgrade in efficiency, space use, speed, or all three over IE - and all that they should need is steel ingots.

The fun part is then providing different ways for people to make steel, with different levels of investment in the IE progression. Again, using DPT6 as an example:

• Method 1 was combining 4 iron and 4 marble to make 4 steel blend, which could then be cooked in an alloy kiln with charcoal to make 4 steel. 2:1 material efficiency.
  • Method 2: Use coal coke and a blast/induction furnace to make steel. 1:1 efficiency.
  • Method 3: Coal coke and iron cooked in an arc furnace. 1:2 efficiency.

Each of these options required different levels of infrastructural support, but the goal was more or less achieved. Nerds could just cook enough steel via IE to produce steel using TE machines, and then never touch IE again - or, if they like IE, they could invest in the infrastructure requirements to support an arc furnace and be rewarded with more efficient material costs.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely have enjoyed stuff like Thaumcraft more than most mods because it fits well with the fact that minecraft is a first person lego game, it gets you to build fun looking stuff. Sadly some of the things like the ambient effects of everything near a research bench seem to have been taken out in the latest version.

More modpacks would benefit from that philosophy I think though, introducing cool looking things to build and a focus on the experience of using them, minecraft is quite a tactile game and a lot of mods seem to work really hard at taking that out and turning it into a number cruncher.

I agree big time. The number one thing that turns me off from modpacks is the inevitable descent into tech mods and automation that it feels like *every single one has*. The big fun is making your thematic builds. The huge popularity of skyblock maps, which almost all just turn into a horrible mishmash of ill-fitting machines built around "efficiency," is a pretty big warning sign.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Once you’ve automated one thing you’ve automated then all. There is nothing new and interesting left to find. Skyblocks and FTBs are the same drat game over and over again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly nowadays I find more enjoyment out of making my own themed packs without a dozen of the same category mod type than by playing premade stuff. All the big packs pretty much have the same big-names mods and/or too many mods of the same type for me to care anymore.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Omnifactory was the only pack I ever played that really made me want to or enjoy large scale automation, and a huge part of that is that resources are very plentiful and can themselves be automated in a variety of ways, plus lots of forms of ore processing. The recipes were well integrated so there was very little stuff along the lines of what you see in many modpacks where a part of the tech tree only exists as distraction and once you pass its gate you never touch it again. That said, my understanding is that (as is often the case) the endgame push is a tedious grind where you have to build like 20x of each machine, but at least as far as I've gotten you don't need ridiculous parallelization, and automation will get you far. Probably the biggest difference in any pack I've played between doing things by hand and just having automatic processing, given the amount of steps and varied resources that go into some things.

That said I'm pretty burned out on that whole approach lately, as many others, and I've learned to enjoy just a really simple approach instead. My current modpack is 90% small tweaks or quality of life mods, and the big content stuff is Betweenlands, Astral Sorcery, and Wizardry. I cut out Thaumcraft and Tinkers just to reduce the resource dumping/ladder climbing feeling and this much simpler pack is really more my speed these days. I missed this kind of unassuming and laid back experience.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I appreciate Volcano Block for its willingness to do new things.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would give my left arm for a new Hexxit or Plus Sigma. I want something adventure/building focused, but the base loot tables suck rear end in almost every dungeon mod and it loses the magic if I make them myself.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Eox posted:

I would give my left arm for a new Hexxit or Plus Sigma. I want something adventure/building focused, but the base loot tables suck rear end in almost every dungeon mod and it loses the magic if I make them myself.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some structured 'dungeons' and maybe that's the way to unlock more crafting/etc. "At the end of dungeon one, you find a workbench!' etc.

DDSS was great until I realized how tedious all the crafting would be. :\ I think that Ultimate Alchemy is the last modpack I played that I really went 'whoa that's a neat idea on', because it immediately gives you infinite wood and stone and is just about the automation of all those things, and that was faaaantastic. I might go back and try it again honestly.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Some sort of procedurally generated "Super Hostile" worldgen could be neat, if anyone still remembers the Super Hostile maps.

Go forth and conquer the dungeon, get rewards, go conquer the next dungeon...

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Clearly the time is right for Blightfall 2.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hopefully there's some stuff in the pillager code that makes it easier to do more dangerous worlds with interesting adventure progression

do 1.14 villagers still need mobgriefing on to breed? i know other parts of villager breeding were tinkered with

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Carados posted:

Clearly the time is right for Blightfall 2.

Hey, there was that pack the Blightfall developer was supposed to be working on that got shown off a bit in this thread. Hopefully that'll come out someday! I'm also kind of hoping that underwater pack pushed a bit earlier is cool, but we'll see.

TBH though most of my time spent playing Minecraft lately is just tossing mods into a folder and playing with them. I just got done with one pack like that; I don't bother setting up a progression, but honestly a 'progression' often feels like an excuse to add multiple tech mods and force you to use all of them when they're redundant. I'd rather go 'oh, I should build (a power system) because I need power' 'oh, I should build resource processing because I need a lot of this for another mod', 'oh, I have a lot of stuff, I should build an rftools storage monitor (never use AE)' than need to build Block X to build Widget Y.

Progression-based packs can be fun, certainly (I did like exoria, until it hit environmental tech/infinite resources, and sevtech ages was fun when I was playing it with friends) but it's way too much trouble when I'm rolling my own pack. Most mods are pretty well assembled and can work together as-is, as long as you don't need to install every single tech mod off forge and demand a raison d'etre from each and every one of them.

Then again, when I'm not wandering swamps or horrible monster dimensions, I mostly just end up building big, expansive kitchens and dining areas, so my opinion is probably not the best about what Minecraft should be.

100% True Authentic Artistic Vision Minecraft Experience

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Minecraft is a sandbox game so if you want to build a big, fancy kitchen then...hey, knock yourself out.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
See now we just need someone only into designing weapons and then someone designing bosses and we have a Kitchen Sink Dungeon pack

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

BlondRobin posted:

Hey, there was that pack the Blightfall developer was supposed to be working on that got shown off a bit in this thread. Hopefully that'll come out someday! I'm also kind of hoping that underwater pack pushed a bit earlier is cool, but we'll see.

TBH though most of my time spent playing Minecraft lately is just tossing mods into a folder and playing with them. I just got done with one pack like that; I don't bother setting up a progression, but honestly a 'progression' often feels like an excuse to add multiple tech mods and force you to use all of them when they're redundant. I'd rather go 'oh, I should build (a power system) because I need power' 'oh, I should build resource processing because I need a lot of this for another mod', 'oh, I have a lot of stuff, I should build an rftools storage monitor (never use AE)' than need to build Block X to build Widget Y.

Progression-based packs can be fun, certainly (I did like exoria, until it hit environmental tech/infinite resources, and sevtech ages was fun when I was playing it with friends) but it's way too much trouble when I'm rolling my own pack. Most mods are pretty well assembled and can work together as-is, as long as you don't need to install every single tech mod off forge and demand a raison d'etre from each and every one of them.

Then again, when I'm not wandering swamps or horrible monster dimensions, I mostly just end up building big, expansive kitchens and dining areas, so my opinion is probably not the best about what Minecraft should be.

100% True Authentic Artistic Vision Minecraft Experience

You're build looks super good! I also like to build weirdly elaborate buildings, although I tend to build empty buildings that I leave sitting around until my girlfriend fills them with kitchens and dining areas :v: Which mod adds the placeable food items?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If only building large/megastructures wasn’t a tedious pain in the rear end at any level. Though Effortless Building helps a lot.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Xun posted:

You're build looks super good! I also like to build weirdly elaborate buildings, although I tend to build empty buildings that I leave sitting around until my girlfriend fills them with kitchens and dining areas :v: Which mod adds the placeable food items?

That's HeatAndClimate, a Japanese-developed mod that I guess would be most cleanly described as 'Better With Mods Meets Pam's Harvestcraft, Also Fire Hurts.' It's a good core mod to expand Minecraft, probably my favorite; it changes the game so blocks and dimensions which would have temperature... do that thing. Magma is hot to stand around, ice is cool, etc. and you can place these near each other to mitigate the effects, wear armor to increase your comfortable range etc. Then it uses this mostly to do things like making metal processing an in-world thing where you put blocks of dust in special environments to smelt them. Also part of that, it also has a lot of food- way less than Pam's Harvestcraft, but way more than most other mods- and apply the same thing to them. That brick stove in the screenshot is actually functional! You can make chili in the pot halfway off the screen to the right, too.

It also adds really big, satisfying ore chunks to find, some really quite good-looking gear, a handful of weird magical accessories based around gems and the reason I called it like Better With Mods, a whole bunch of machines that use kinetic energy, usually generated with or manipulating the temperature systems above. Also a hilarious series of chemical reactions to make plastics (which then you can press into acryllic glass, synthetic fibers for clothes or fake fur), smokeless gunpowder et. al. because apparently the mod-maker thinks chemistry is super fun.

As a bonus, the entire thing visually looks extremely Katamari Damacy-style kitsch.

Edit: If you saw AppleMilkTea for 1.7.10, this is basically the successor to that mod.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

BlondRobin posted:

That's HeatAndClimate, a Japanese-developed mod that I guess would be most cleanly described as 'Better With Mods Meets Pam's Harvestcraft, Also Fire Hurts.' It's a good core mod to expand Minecraft, probably my favorite; it changes the game so blocks and dimensions which would have temperature... do that thing. Magma is hot to stand around, ice is cool, etc. and you can place these near each other to mitigate the effects, wear armor to increase your comfortable range etc. Then it uses this mostly to do things like making metal processing an in-world thing where you put blocks of dust in special environments to smelt them. Also part of that, it also has a lot of food- way less than Pam's Harvestcraft, but way more than most other mods- and apply the same thing to them. That brick stove in the screenshot is actually functional! You can make chili in the pot halfway off the screen to the right, too.

It also adds really big, satisfying ore chunks to find, some really quite good-looking gear, a handful of weird magical accessories based around gems and the reason I called it like Better With Mods, a whole bunch of machines that use kinetic energy, usually generated with or manipulating the temperature systems above. Also a hilarious series of chemical reactions to make plastics (which then you can press into acryllic glass, synthetic fibers for clothes or fake fur), smokeless gunpowder et. al. because apparently the mod-maker thinks chemistry is super fun.

As a bonus, the entire thing visually looks extremely Katamari Damacy-style kitsch.

Edit: If you saw AppleMilkTea for 1.7.10, this is basically the successor to that mod.

Oh poo poo this looks amazing, I'll have to install it ASAP. Have you tried it with modded biomes as well? I see that it does stuff with biome humidity/temperature but I don't know if that's something they added or working with something innate to minecraft biomes so modded ones would have them too.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Xun posted:

Oh poo poo this looks amazing, I'll have to install it ASAP. Have you tried it with modded biomes as well? I see that it does stuff with biome humidity/temperature but I don't know if that's something they added or working with something innate to minecraft biomes so modded ones would have them too.

It's okay with modded biomes generally since IIRC it can follow Minecraft's heat map if all else fails, but chokes-ish on mod alternate dimensions; ones that apply the heatmap are okay, mostly, but a bunch will just be extremely default temperature. (The Nether is fine, but intentionally very hot; make sure to wear cool clothes! The End iirc is mostly untouched except End Rods emit cool temperatures.)

However, it comes out of the box with specific support for Biomes o' Plenty, and most of the other biome mods didn't survive the version transitions from 1.7.10 onwards! So generally I don't notice. The only catch is it has its own seasons system, which does not play well with Biomes o' Plenty's own season system that comes in a related mod (though they aren't terrible together, you just have to match their time cycles.) That mod is optional anyway, though.

Also fwiw it's generally very well integrated- pretty much all its materials are oredicted and you can use its materials extremely broadly across most mods. The only real problem is its chemicals aren't, because there's not a lot of mods that actually use multiple 'real' fluids and gasses, and because it loves particular detail its titanium is not 'titanium,' but a 'titanium alloy' because afaik that's how titanium is actually used in real life.

EDIT: It's also pretty much 100% integrated into JEI, including custom recipe information for things like items that transform when dropped in certain environments and for the processes and outputs of its various machines.

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 13, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tiny Dry Rubber crafts by 9 into Dry Rubber. How come it won't do the thing in a compacting drawer?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Tiny Dry Rubber crafts by 9 into Dry Rubber. How come it won't do the thing in a compacting drawer?

Does it reverse? A compacting drawer doesn't compress unless it can be done in reverse, so unless a Dry Rubber turns into 9 Tiny Dry Rubber it won't do it. It's only intended as large storage for things like metals and possibly redstone with blocks and nuggets where they're all interchangeable ways of storing. It's not meant as an autocrafter to pile things together.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

BlondRobin posted:

Does it reverse? A compacting drawer doesn't compress unless it can be done in reverse, so unless a Dry Rubber turns into 9 Tiny Dry Rubber it won't do it. It's only intended as large storage for things like metals and possibly redstone with blocks and nuggets where they're all interchangeable ways of storing. It's not meant as an autocrafter to pile things together.

Sounds like a niche for an addon to Storage Drawers.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ugh, that sucks...but, I got Refined Storage up and running, so I'll prolly just pipe the Tinies in and craft as needed.

If I have Mob Grinding Utils, what's the best structure to use for a mob farm? Extra Utilities isn't in the pack, but I do have Industrial Foregoing and Draconic Evolution.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

Ugh, that sucks...but, I got Refined Storage up and running, so I'll prolly just pipe the Tinies in and craft as needed.

If I have Mob Grinding Utils, what's the best structure to use for a mob farm? Extra Utilities isn't in the pack, but I do have Industrial Foregoing and Draconic Evolution.

Industrial Foregoing is good at duplicating specific mobs, but its essence requirement means you need a seed mob farm. If you have Astral Sorcery, a pelotrio ritual will produce a LOT of mobs, if you juice it with a collector. They only work at night, though. EnderIO has infinity dust that can spawn mobs, too, though I don't know if it's self-sustainable outside of FTB: I. Other than that, a vanilla-style dark room.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Industrial Foregoing is good at duplicating specific mobs, but its essence requirement means you need a seed mob farm. If you have Astral Sorcery, a pelotrio ritual will produce a LOT of mobs, if you juice it with a collector. They only work at night, though. EnderIO has infinity dust that can spawn mobs, too, though I don't know if it's self-sustainable outside of FTB: I. Other than that, a vanilla-style dark room.

Is there a blueprint/tutorial I can follow? I've never built one of these before.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Mob_grinder

i hate them with my life

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a blueprint/tutorial I can follow? I've never built one of these before.

Which one?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The easiest one that doesn't suck.

Oh, it...mob farms look kinda jank don't they? The really tall ones look weird as hell.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, you don't realize how some mods reduce annoyances until you don't put them in your pack; I'd forgotten how big a pain in the rear end it is not being able to just craft slimeballs or finding slime island.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have over time come to really hate mob grinders in general because they're terrible and take way too long to set up and require even more rote repetition than setting up my 400th tinker's smelter or going through Thaumcraft's research yet again. They never work perfectly and two seemingly identical builds feel like they yield massively different results and they're always getting clogged with spiders, or not handling endermen, or what the gently caress ever.
If a simple, reliable mob spawning/farming mod had come out early and just become the accepted standard it would've changed so much, or even if Minecraft had something to force it, but no, we get this incredibly weird wiki-checking garbage where I have to look up the spawning radius vs the mob idle radius on every new skyblock pack. Terrible mechanic, dear packmakers stop forcing me to construct a fully vanilla mob spawner as like the 4th quest in a progression pack.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I kinda wish adventure maps would make a resurgence, I feel like part of the magic of how good Blightfall is is that it's both a modpack and an adventure map combined. Even with dungeon and exploration mods in packs, procedurally made dungeons tend to be "beat one and you've beaten them all" for any particular mod in a pack and they wear thin VERY quickly imo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I followed this guy's mob farm and it's only now after I built it that I don't think it can spawn Endermen, which is the only mob I was trying to get drops for. :negative:

EDIT: In fact, it's not working whatsoever. That's cool.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 14, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I followed this guy's mob farm and it's only now after I built it that I don't think it can spawn Endermen, which is the only mob I was trying to get drops for. :negative:

EDIT: In fact, it's not working whatsoever. That's cool.

If you just want an easier way to get ender pearls, there's the Ender Ore mod that adds a dust you can mine for that you can easily craft into pearls.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you just want an easier way to get ender pearls, there's the Ender Ore mod that adds a dust you can mine for that you can easily craft into pearls.

I think they're playing a specific mod pack, so it's probably not as easy as tossing in an ore mod. Otherwise my response to their 'how to build a mob grinder without extra utils 2' question would have been 'add extra utils 2, i mean what the heck c'mon'

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I mean, you could always use some sort of large-scale mining rig to mine out several chunks and light up the bedrock. Then, mobs will have nowhere to spawn except a mob farm you build there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
If Dark Utilities is in the pack use vector plates or use the fans from Mob Grinding Utils instead of water to move the mobs around and it should work for endermen as long as its tall enough inside that they have room to spawn.

In Volcano Block how do I submit the fond memories or mana automation quests? There is no option in either the book or the quest chest to take either. The friend memories I could submit from my inventory or the chest.