Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
You actually want to wait a while. You're still really powerful compared to feudal rulers, and can raise way bigger armies than them, so take advantage. Extort tribute, raid, maybe conquer some more tribes, and stack big piles of money and prestige, while you continue to improve your tribal holdings.

Once you can't improve your holdings any more, you're not really going to get that much more powerful, and by this time you may notice that feudals are a bit less helpless. This is a good time to make the switch. And since you can easily accumulate way more money than you can spend, you might even want to help some of your vassals upgrade their hillforts, so they can switch to feudalism too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Viking age fires in 793, so if Sigurdr is in his late fifties, it's got to be getting close.

I feel like it fires exactly in 800 every time.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

KDdidit posted:

I totally turned defensive pacts off. Did 3 runs with it in other starts and it wasn't for me. I could live with the <50 pacts, but the >50 ones didn't seem to make sense. Any way I got Scandinavia with about a year to spare, had to rush back after pillaging and win a holy was because i forgot i lost a bunch of piety reforming the religion. The council thing is annoying, why they don't want me to take an opm in dejure Scandinavia is a mystery, but whatever. When do people go feudal as Vikings? Still haven't kicked off the Viking age yet.

In order to go feudal, a character must follow an organized/reformed religion, have a tribal holding with a stone hillfort, and have passed the "absolute tribal authority" law.

Don't rush into feudalism, though. There are still advantages to being tribal for awhile. Tribal holdings generate a lot more troops and boats than a single castle does, so you should use those levies to raid and build up a sizable amount of gold before going feudal. I usually aim for 10k or more. You're going to need it when you switch to feudal, find yourself weakened, and need to build up your realm fast. Also, once you go feudal you cannot call for tribal allies to join your wars, and they will provide very few vassal levies until they too adopt feudalism, which may take some time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How do you make an Antipope?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

You actually want to wait a while. You're still really powerful compared to feudal rulers, and can raise way bigger armies than them, so take advantage. Extort tribute, raid, maybe conquer some more tribes, and stack big piles of money and prestige, while you continue to improve your tribal holdings.

Once you can't improve your holdings any more, you're not really going to get that much more powerful, and by this time you may notice that feudals are a bit less helpless. This is a good time to make the switch. And since you can easily accumulate way more money than you can spend, you might even want to help some of your vassals upgrade their hillforts, so they can switch to feudalism too.

Yeah, at some point as a viking you end up with so much gold that you can upgrade all your vassals to have hillforts as well. That way when you reform, they'll auto-reform with you.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

SirPhoebos posted:

From the wiki: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Antipope

Secular rulers can appoint a vassal bishop as an antipope, if:

the ruler is independent and at least duke tier.
the ruler can spend 500 Prestige
the bishop is at least count tier
the bishop is not subject to Papal Investiture crown law
the bishop likes the ruler more than the pope
the true pope is not the ruler's vassal
the religion does not have the "Deposed an Antipope" modifier to moral authority (Modifier is applied upon successful Depose Antipope war and lasts 50 years)

To appoint a bishop as antipope, go to the Religion tab (F9) and click the hat button Antipope.png next to the bishop.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

SirPhoebos posted:

Flip the helicity of the Pope.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Find a Pope with the same mass, but an opposite charge. Make sure you don't let the Popes touch.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

McGavin posted:

Make sure you don't let the Popes touch.

It's not gay unless the Popes touch.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What are good mods in the crazy post-Holy Fury/Iron Century world we live in?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What determines who joins a rebellion when you fail to imprison or revoke a title? I just had a weird situation where I had a valid reason to imprison a vassal, but when I went to do it and the roll failed, basically the entire loving kingdom joined in with him. I thought they were only supposed to be able to do that if the action would be viewed as tyrannical?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What determines who joins a rebellion when you fail to imprison or revoke a title? I just had a weird situation where I had a valid reason to imprison a vassal, but when I went to do it and the roll failed, basically the entire loving kingdom joined in with him. I thought they were only supposed to be able to do that if the action would be viewed as tyrannical?

They might've disliked you or may have already been part of a rebellious faction. They might have also had marriage ties and allliances amongst your vassals and were able to call them into the war.

In other happenings, I have confronted myself about being the lover of one of my wives.

I'm gonna beat myself up. Give 'im hell, me.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've gotten call to arms from other rebellious vassals whom I had no previous alliances or factional membership with... I think the option is always available among all other vassals of the same liege, but it'll only work if they hate the liege enough. Maybe their willingness to join also takes into account the relative strength of all discontent vassals combined, kinda the way factions do, I'm not sure

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SirPhoebos posted:

Sometimes when a mommy and daddy love each other very much the daddy puts baby inside the mommy's belly and then a few decades later a monarch uses that baby as a pawn in a political struggle over the right of kings to appoint clergy.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
actually, in this analogy, the mommy is the papacy, the daddy is a sovereign ruler, and the baby is a prince-bishop

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I just had a loving nobody survive 15 assassination attempts in a row.

And then to add injury to insult he beat me in a duel despite me having a 100 skill versus his 20.

Is there some hidden "just will not loving die" trait?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

And then to add injury to insult he beat me in a duel despite me having a 100 skill versus his 20.

Can you post a screenshot of their CrusaderBook profile? I'm curious to see how much of a bum they are. :D
And yeah, that happens for me too, now and again. What's his intrigue like? Since it may be possible that they won the duel through that intrigue/deception option, to spike your opponent's drink beforehand, or whatever it is.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

Paranoid.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

SirPhoebos posted:

Characters with paranoid trait have 90% chance of escaping any assassination attempt. Turns out expecting people are out to get you is helpful when they're really are out to get you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Pyromancer posted:

Characters with paranoid trait have 90% chance of escaping any assassination attempt. Turns out expecting people are out to get you is helpful when they're really are out to get you.

Tell me you're exaggerating. The wiki says:
>Characters who are Paranoid are ten times more likely to get a whiff of plots against them, their spouses and their children. [...] Paranoid characters are more likely to survive in most plans, while Trusting characters are significantly more likely to be killed in most plans.

Of course, it's compensated by the fact that you become stressed all the time and also my wife is pregnant, but I was away, WASN'T I? Still sounds too strong and a no-brainer for almost any kind of character.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

YeH wow I have a thousand hours in this game and I had no idea, that’s amazing

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Hey, there's a big chunk of Syria taken out of the Abbasids, I wonder what's going on theoh my Allah"

She founded the Alexander knockoff bloodline. When I checked on her a few years later, she had conquered like a third of Anatolia and driven the Byzantines into the sea. And she's gay as hell.

Naturally, her sons are disappointments.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

1stGear posted:

"Hey, there's a big chunk of Syria taken out of the Abbasids, I wonder what's going on theoh my Allah"

She founded the Alexander knockoff bloodline. When I checked on her a few years later, she had conquered like a third of Anatolia and driven the Byzantines into the sea. And she's gay as hell.

Did you have gender equality on or something? Did she just convert to Islam before going on her roaring rampage of revenge? I never see women control muslim countries normally.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

She 100% deserves to get a great work made. Perhaps the ruler statue...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

She's got sympathy for Judaism, Christianity, AND Zoroastrian. Has she been doing like, a world tour of religions or something?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Eimi posted:

Did you have gender equality on or something? Did she just convert to Islam before going on her roaring rampage of revenge? I never see women control muslim countries normally.

Nope, default rules. I started at 769 and am 820ish right now.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

She's got sympathy for Judaism, Christianity, AND Zoroastrian. Has she been doing like, a world tour of religions or something?

No idea. I have never wanted a "What the gently caress happened here" feature more than I do now.

Delving a little more into her history: her grandfather was Count of Osraige in Ireland but it looks like her family lost the title at some point and her dad died landless. Her living brothers are both nobodies back in Ireland. Her first husband was the Duke of Kent. In 808, she conquered the Emirate of Damascus as an Adventurer, had her husband murdered, then conquered several other chunks of Syria. She is the founder of the Sultanate of Syria. She killed her first man personally at the age of 24 and has had two Emirs burnt at the stake. She recently had a Pet Graveyard built at the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. Where all the conversions to Levantine and Islam happened and how she got away from the Abbasids are anyone's guess. I love her and I wish she was my liege.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 13, 2019

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

1stGear posted:

No idea. I have never wanted a "What the gently caress happened here" feature more than I do now.

Delving a little more into her history: her grandfather was Count of Osraige in Ireland but it looks like her family lost the title at some point and her dad died landless. Her living brothers are both nobodies back in Ireland. Her first husband was the Duke of Kent. In 808, she conquered the Emirate of Damascus as an Adventurer, had her husband murdered, then conquered several other chunks of Syria. She is the founder of the Sultanate of Syria. She killed her first man personally at the age of 24 and has had two Emirs burnt at the stake. She recently had a Pet Graveyard built at the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. Where all the conversions to Levantine and Islam happened and how she got away from the Abbasids are anyone's guess. I love her and I wish she was my liege.

How do you find out this kind of information? To me it seems like that is the biggest feature missing from CK2. I always forget why people are in my prisons for example.

Unless there is some kind of feature and I missed it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

1stGear posted:

That's fuckin incredible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

How do you find out this kind of information? To me it seems like that is the biggest feature missing from CK2. I always forget why people are in my prisons for example.

You can kind of puzzle it out by looking at their dynasty, and the history on the titles they hold. The latter will tell you when they acquired them and how they got it (i.e. inherited, conquered, created, etc.).

I wonder if she rolled the "child of destiny" event. Her stats are insanely high, especially considering she doesn't have quick or genius.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Red_Fred posted:

The family stuff is a matter of just clicking through her relatives and seeing what they're up to. Titles she conquered and created are a matter of clicking on the title's shield then clicking on its History. Kills are a button on the character's page.

And forgetting you have characters in your prison till the smell of their rotting corpse seeps up into your great hall is a CK2 tradition.

quote:

I wonder if she rolled the "child of destiny" event. Her stats are insanely high, especially considering she doesn't have quick or genius.

From what I'm reading about that chain, this is probably it. She has a modifier for strangling a snake in her crib which is apparently a thing in the chain and if the Child is unlanded when they hit a certain age, they get a pile of event troops and jet off to conquer something. You also get unlimited Invasion CBs which explains why she's loving up the Middle/Near East with a vengeance.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 13, 2019

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Aw man, thought that was only broken for the player :magical:

Edit: if I kill him and his kids will his wealth become mine?

Well the answer to this is yes. I played the long game: killed his kids, then executed him when only his mother (also in my prison) was left then banished her and got all $11k. I got kinslayer but my PC died like 6 months later so it all worked out well.

I’m now more than 3 times as wealthy as the next nation despite being pretty small.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I ran through the tutorial as the King of Léon, then kept playing through as his daughter, who ended up founding two bloodlines and conquering almost enough territory to form the empire of Hispania.

Her failniece's short reign lasted long enough to lose a war to increase council power. This I guess meant that my vassals were free press their own wars, because they finished reconquista-ing on their own while I sat around and twiddled my thumbs.

After her son took over, I was able to form a more friendly council and start seizing territory again, which let me finally form Hispania and dole out kingdoms to my vassals.

One of those vassals... went a little crazy:

It doesn't seem like a problem for now, I married off one of my daughters to him and he has 100 opinion of me, but that's, like, a lot of territory, and I don't think he's done in North Africa. How do I thwart his ambitions? Specifically, how do I keep him from de jure absorbing more land into his kingdom? Can I revoke the title from his heir?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I totally agree that character history would be a great feature. Paradox tries to do some things that simulate it, like Bloodlines are partly there so that you can quickly see great ancestor of a person. Ditto traits like Crusader or Viking, they tell you more about what character did rather than his stats.

EU Rome had a feature like this: https://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/293136-europa-universalis-rome-windows-screenshot-it-s-not-the-years.jpg
But I guess it had fewer characters and CK2 would die if it tries to store all this info. Maybe they should do it only for living characters and get rid of boring stuff like stat changes and fought battles.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

It doesn't seem like a problem for now, I married off one of my daughters to him and he has 100 opinion of me, but that's, like, a lot of territory, and I don't think he's done in North Africa. How do I thwart his ambitions? Specifically, how do I keep him from de jure absorbing more land into his kingdom? Can I revoke the title from his heir?
If you're worried about him getting too strong and you have more troops than him right now, just be a tyrant and revoke his kingdom. The opinion penalty sucks but it only lasts 5 years. Your other options include murdering his whole family or waiting until you have a legitimate reason to revoke, but those take time. In the future, don't create kingdom titles and give them out if you don't need to; your're way under your vassal limit for no reason and Granada is like 40% of Hispania.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 14, 2019

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

oops

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I don’t think I can revoke while he’s my son-in-law (unless there’s some way to cancel the alliance).

I’m still really vague on how taxes flow and what the value of retaining a duchy/kingdom is.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

I don’t think I can revoke while he’s my son-in-law (unless there’s some way to cancel the alliance).

Oh, in that case murder him and revoke from his heir.

Lazyhound posted:

I’m still really vague on how taxes flow and what the value of retaining a duchy/kingdom is.

You don't want to give out duchies/kingdoms unless you're over your vassal limit and you need to get back under it. Doing that creates strong vassals that can challenge you, and you'll get less in the way of taxes and levies from your counts since there's a middleman.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

1stGear posted:

This is the kind of amazing stories I play CK2 for

I never been much of a fan of events, they can be funny or interesting first time you see them, but after they are just repetitive lame stories forced upon characters again and again. What is actually good is this kind of crazy spontaneous stories happening organically within the game. And for that, nothing can beat CK2

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

child of destiny is too rare imo, Ive never seen it