Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Now that you started the Hickman thing of introducing the F4 into an unrelated story just go full Hickman and bring Doom as the hero of the story.

Have her steal Doom’s time platform, so she can steal Blackbeard’s treasure, and ends up in FF#5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Here's a summation of my feelings on Gwenpool Strikes Back:

It's the 2019 version of Daniel Way's Deadpool.

harsh, but fair

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Namor did nothing wrong, and Doom would have been too dead to save the universe if Captain America had his way. Destroying the other Earths wasn't even 100% selfish since it saved those other universes too IIRC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinteres posted:

Namor did nothing wrong, and Doom would have been too dead to save the universe if Captain America had his way. Destroying the other Earths wasn't even 100% selfish since it saved those other universes too IIRC.

Steve's point was "if we can't figure out how to save ourselves without killing billions (really trillions or more) other people, then we don't deserve to live our selves," and I don't think that's the wrong stand to take.

Also, it didn't save those other universes, literally everything except the two life rafts, Dr Doom and Dr Strange died, and Doom stitched some poo poo together from his memories and the broken remains of the other universes.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 13, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If it’s a fight to the death between our universes, or else both will be destroyed, I’m destroying the gently caress out of your universe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

If it’s a fight to the death between our universes, or else both will be destroyed, I’m destroying the gently caress out of your universe.

Surprise twist "Everything died."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you cant save literally everyone you shouldnt save anyone has to be one of the dumbest takes ive heard ngl

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

if you cant save literally everyone you shouldnt save anyone has to be one of the dumbest takes ive heard ngl

There's a difference between not being able to save everyone and actively working to kill other people to save yourself. That was the entire argument, Beast was building world killing bombs "as a last resort" and Steve said "no, that's not acceptable, even as a last resort, because it won't be the last resort." And sure loving enough they were used well before it before they were the last resort.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was the last resort in that it was used after they exhausted what options they could come up with and didnt work, and they used that time to search for other options, which either also failed or never emerged. so yeah, last resort

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

it was the last resort in that it was used after they exhausted what options they could come up with and didnt work, and they used that time to search for other options, which either also failed or never emerged. so yeah, last resort

Every minute they spent making world killing bombs was a minute they didn't spend trying to find a different way and then they got into a fight with "not the justice league" who'd already actually successfully prevented several incursions instead of talking with them and brainstorming a solution.

I understand why they did what they did, but I also completely understand why Steve Rogers wants to loving kill them over it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Steve's point was "if we can't figure out how to save ourselves without killing billions (really trillions or more) other people, then we don't deserve to live our selves," and I don't think that's the wrong stand to take.

Also, it didn't save those other universes, literally everything except the two life rafts, Dr Doom and Dr Strange died, and Doom stitched some poo poo together from his memories and the broken remains of the other universes.

Am I making this up, or did they at least think that's how it worked? Because there was that whole plot point where all the aliens wanted to destroy the Earth of their own universe before it collided with another universe and destroyed everything.

Skwirl posted:

Every minute they spent making world killing bombs was a minute they didn't spend trying to find a different way and then they got into a fight with "not the justice league" who'd already actually successfully prevented several incursions instead of talking with them and brainstorming a solution.

I understand why they did what they did, but I also completely understand why Steve Rogers wants to loving kill them over it.

The first world killing bomb gave them way more time to think about alternatives later than they would have had without it though. Cap was wrong. I think it would be fair to argue that writing a comic book where genocide bombs had to be used is kind of a crappy thing to do (though I enjoyed the series and Secret Wars), but in that book as written everything would have died without them.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 13, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

the faux jl prevented 3 incursions, one of which used an infinity gauntlet analog and was a one shot, one was a mapmaker world and was destroyed by a one of power by the magic guy, and the third was implied to be destroyed by the jl and then recreated through time manipulation of some sort. the first thing the illuminati did when they met the jl was try to come up with options other than destroying either planet.

na 16

na 19

quote="Sinteres" post="498268446"]
Am I making this up, or did they at least think that's how it worked? Because there was that whole plot point where all the aliens wanted to destroy the Earth of their own universe before it collided with another universe and destroyed everything.
[/quote]

yes, because doom withheld the information about molecule man and the beyonders from everyone, no one knew how to even forestall the death of any given universe other than destroying its earth or various one-off solutions like the infinity gauntlet of the phase shift trick

site fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 13, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The first time they used the planet killing bombs was after their fight with "not the Justice League " and then everyone who wasn't Namor realized they were loving monsters who deserved death and didn't do poo poo to save the world. The only reason they had time after that was because Namor was going on a genocide tour with the help of loving Thanos.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the first time they used a bomb was back in issue 6, 13 issues before the jl fight

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Both sides made foolish decisions and the whole issue is a real moral gray area but ultimately it doesn't matter because no one remembers Secret Wars or the lead up to it aside from Doom, Maker, and the FF and basically nothing ever happened... unless it did because Stark's super weapon that he built for incursions is still in space? ...But it didn't because Steve and Tony didn't beat each other to death in the desert... But it did because Shuri's in a coma at the start of the new Black Panther series? But it didn't because Thor starts post-SW still unworthy (and alive). But it did because...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Here's a summation of my feelings on Gwenpool Strikes Back:

It's the 2019 version of Daniel Way's Deadpool.

Yikes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

the first time they used a bomb was back in issue 6, 13 issues before the jl fight

They lucked out with that one as that was a mapmaker incursion and that Earth was already completely dead.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Both sides made foolish decisions and the whole issue is a real moral gray area but ultimately it doesn't matter because no one remembers Secret Wars or the lead up to it aside from Doom, Maker, and the FF and basically nothing ever happened... unless it did because Stark's super weapon that he built for incursions is still in space? ...But it didn't because Steve and Tony didn't beat each other to death in the desert... But it did because Shuri's in a coma at the start of the new Black Panther series? But it didn't because Thor starts post-SW still unworthy (and alive). But it did because...

BP remembers unless some other fuckery happened

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

It's, disappointing

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

site posted:

They blew up the justice league world, not to save everyone, but to give themselves an extra 12 hours before the next incursion. Not worth it imho.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They lucked out with that one as that was a mapmaker incursion and that Earth was already completely dead.

That's fair

Billzasilver posted:

They blew up the justice league world, not to save everyone, but to give themselves an extra 12 hours before the next incursion. Not worth it imho.

I mean, it's not like they knew that going in, not that it would've mattered much since the Illuminati broke up and tried to let the universe die during that next incursion

I'm actually kinda glad this thing sparked off it gave me an excuse to reread new avengers

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nobody but Chris Hastings should be allowed to write Gwenpool, because even the author they brought in as a ringer just didn't get it.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I really believe that one day we'll get a good Gwenpool book again but this mini is not that book.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The whole point of Gwenpool is that she's not a wacky fourth wall breaking memer, which Strikes Back doesn't seem to get at all. Her most consistent trait is being a sincerely enthusiastic comics fan who is trying to figure out how to thrive in 616. She does silly things from time to time, but for the most part the comedy in her series comes from the fish out of water, "I know you guys are comic book characters but I still have to interact with you as peers" stuff. Which also winds up being a source of pathos and character development!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Android Blues posted:

The whole point of Gwenpool is that she's not a wacky fourth wall breaking memer, which Strikes Back doesn't seem to get at all. Her most consistent trait is being a sincerely enthusiastic comics fan who is trying to figure out how to thrive in 616. She does silly things from time to time, but for the most part the comedy in her series comes from the fish out of water, "I know you guys are comic book characters but I still have to interact with you as peers" stuff. Which also winds up being a source of pathos and character development!

Yeah but now she is down to bang.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
Sorry to resurrect a conversation from a couple pages ago, but does one of the recent Captain Marvel runs actually deal with her Civil War 2 stance in a decent way? Or do they all kind of ignore it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

Well they hadn't exhausted all options because there was one solution or way to stop the Universes from dying. And that was to investigate why the Universes were dying in the first place.
Which Doom did.
He figured out the method to stop it all (which granted by the time he did it, everything was dead bar two universes so it was too late.)

And Doom figured this out without any of the insider knowledge or equipment that the Illuminati had. (Hell they even met Doom and Kristoff and point blank refused to tell them anything.)

The argument that "only by using Planet busting bombs can we hope to end this threat" is undercut by the fact that one third party working independently of a lot of the main movers and shakers was able to come up with a solution. And Doom didn't even have to use world killing bombs to do it.
Just Beyonder killing ones.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

Honestly the only person I think who's written Gwen and (sorta) got that shtick is Mark Waid BUT he dropped the ball on writing her in an entertaining way, especially being written into a ham-fisted 'man are the real monsters' story. (Which is true, but the story's hands are made entirely of pork.)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

The Question IRL posted:

Well they hadn't exhausted all options because there was one solution or way to stop the Universes from dying. And that was to investigate why the Universes were dying in the first place.
Which Doom did.
He figured out the method to stop it all (which granted by the time he did it, everything was dead bar two universes so it was too late.)

And Doom figured this out without any of the insider knowledge or equipment that the Illuminati had. (Hell they even met Doom and Kristoff and point blank refused to tell them anything.)

The argument that "only by using Planet busting bombs can we hope to end this threat" is undercut by the fact that one third party working independently of a lot of the main movers and shakers was able to come up with a solution. And Doom didn't even have to use world killing bombs to do it.
Just Beyonder killing ones.

The Illuminati did that too, they sent Pym out into the multiverse.

Also Doom's plan ended up destroying countless universes, it was his bomb that brought the number of universes down to a handful.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Starsnostars posted:

The Illuminati did that too, they sent Pym out into the multiverse.

Also Doom's plan ended up destroying countless universes, it was his bomb that brought the number of universes down to a handful.

Clearly Doom should have had someone check over his notes to make sure that the explosion was a more manageable size.

I wonder if Reed Richard's could have done it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Question IRL posted:

He had literally the most inside source you could have in that situation in Owen Reece lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1172312003928412160?s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just catching up on Deaths Head. Between this, Thanos, Belit, and even The Forgotten Queen at Valiant, I think Tini Howard is becoming one of my favorite writers right now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is such a small thing, but I love the narration bubbles in Invisible Woman and how they're faint to the point of being almost transparent.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

X-O posted:

Just catching up on Deaths Head. Between this, Thanos, Belit, and even The Forgotten Queen at Valiant, I think Tini Howard is becoming one of my favorite writers right now.

Yeah, Death's Head rules (love Kei Zama's art too), Belit was so energetic and vibrant and Thanos is super-interesting, so I'm really hyped for Strikeforce and Excalibur.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
did anyone read post brubaker secret avengers? worth keeping up with even though its spencer on the book if i liked the brubaker issues?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

did anyone read post brubaker secret avengers? worth keeping up with even though its spencer on the book if i liked the brubaker issues?

Spencer should definitely be skipped (unless you want to read the infamous Fear Itself issue where a mutant makes the Lincoln memorial fight but then dies on the floor of Congress stupidly) but from there Ellis has a pretty good run and Remender goes from there to the end for some great issues. The other two volumes are just meh.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

site posted:

The Spencer run is like four issues and a quarter of them stands out as maybe the worst Fear Itself tie in. Just skip to Ellis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Nobody but Chris Hastings should be allowed to write Gwenpool, because even the author they brought in as a ringer just didn't get it.

I say let Gerry Duggan take a shot, dude managed to make Deadpool fun and compelling again after having to fix all of Daniel Way's bullshit