Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

MonsieurChoc posted:

Weird to see Queen Wendy Koopa hanging out with the boys on twitch for once.

she was on the both nights of the first one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

big boi posted:

TBH I tried to listen to Streetfight and didn't find it entertaining at all

turn in ur working class card

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ohshit Amber dropping a LotR ref, she's a nerd too now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ohshit Amber dropping a LotR ref, she's a nerd too now.

She geeked out about Breath of the Wild on an episode

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm torn, the chapo stream is good but the debate stream is soul crushingly boring

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Street Fight can be very intermittent, but when they're on they're great.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Man this episode made me nostalgic for like 2006 in the middle of nowhere coming home from the bar with some friends, getting stoned and watching televangelist Jack Van Impe and his wife Rexella warn about the imminent coming of the antichrist, which was sure to be from Russia.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
This debate sucks rear end, i'm tapping out

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

AnEdgelord posted:

This debate sucks rear end, i'm tapping out

how can you say this when joe bidens teeth fell outta his goddamn head and he called bernie the president

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

rapeface posted:

she was on the both nights of the first one!

not the feet tho

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

who's the baseball cap?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
horny footpervs culled like an invasive species.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

turn in ur working class card

My Dad is a member of the Elks and loves the poo poo out of Trump. I'm a legacy.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
will's cancellation for not liking garth ennis is revoked cos he has a thicc gf. well done will

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Clipperton posted:

will's cancellation for not liking garth ennis is revoked cos he has a thicc gf. well done will

the gently caress he said she doesn't like ennis?

not happy with this

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

TVsVeryOwn posted:

who's the baseball cap?

Producer Chris.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Ennis blows. Just constant base edge-lord poo poo.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

joedevola posted:

the gently caress he said she doesn't like ennis?

not happy with this

we'll always have struggle session

papa horny michael posted:

Ennis blows. Just constant base edge-lord poo poo.

the last time this was arguable was maybe 1995

e: ah here we go

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1154782696347963393

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Boys' Amazon show is good because they cut 90% of Ennis' actual writing out and just kept the core concept. Ennis has literally never made a comic that lasted for more than one issue that wasn't insufferable.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
how about his entire punisher run you philistine

e: god, hitman was fun. there's a comic to make a tv show out of. benicio del toro as bueno excellente

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 13, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

sexpig by night posted:

The Boys' Amazon show is good because they cut 90% of Ennis' actual writing out and just kept the core concept. Ennis has literally never made a comic that lasted for more than one issue that wasn't insufferable.

What about his run on Hitman?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

comics are insufferable

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ennis is a very frustrating writer because there is a heart there, and when that heart is wide open like in issue 34 of Hitman or the Texas arc of Preacher it's heartwrenching and real, but when it tries to balance with his Farrelly Brothers comedy, it's very hard to love.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
yeah i'm saying if you don't like jokey ennis read punisher max, hardly any jokes and the ones there are are very very black

i make no apologies for finding a lot of ennis's comedy funny as hell. i once made john mccrea's day because everyone else in line was asking him for batman and star wars sketches and i wanted one of ivor making GBS threads himself from DICKS

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
i mean you can be vulgar but still have nuance. garth ennis isn't complex, so it's boring. then the humor just looks more like he's entertained by the misogyny and homophobia.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

papa horny michael posted:

i mean you can be vulgar but still have nuance. garth ennis isn't complex, so it's boring. then the humor just looks more like he's entertained by the misogyny and homophobia.

try born or my war gone by or pride & joy or war stories (any of them) or or or

i mean how many ennis comics have you actually read

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Clipperton posted:

Hes right

Mark Millar being so bad may have taken some of the heat off but man preacher is rough now that I'm not a teenage atheist

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
he wrote it for teenage atheists, it's not garth ennis's fault that the aging process exists. i've never really revisited preacher or the boys for that matter

i still read through punisher max every year or two, that's held up monstrously well

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Hellblazer spinoff one shot that's just a family drama in Ireland is a direction I wish he'd tried to follow farther.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
if Ennis being “misanthropic” is a hurdle then just start with his most wholesome work

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

comics are insufferable

Watchmen is literally the only good comic. I haven't been able to finish any others.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Clipperton posted:

People are allowed to have some terrible opinions -- it doesn't make them automatically 100% bad.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like Ellis a lot more than Ennis, but they're pretty similar. Like Whedon, both have a specific voice that once resonated strongly with the zeitgeist, doesn't necessarily age well, and really put people off everything they touch if they first take a dislike to it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If I watch this "Righteous Gemstones" show, will I enjoy it, or will it just make me really mad and depressed?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

prefect posted:

If I watch this "Righteous Gemstones" show, will I enjoy it, or will it just make me really mad and depressed?

It is good and pretty fun like all projects from that team, only Observe and Report is genuinely depressing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I really enjoyed this episode because I went to high school with Jody Hill.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
303 is another very good and less well known Ennis book.

An old Russian soldier sees an American bomber wipe out an Afghan village in order to cover up a helicopter crash. So he goes to America to do revenge about it.

There's some stuff about the exploitation of immigrant labour and the inherent crookedness of private health insurance in there too.

It's very Cormac McCarthy, but with a happy ending.

He assassinates George Bush.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Really enjoyed Felix's religious analysis this episode. That guy's sharper than he lets on.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's not Ellis' fault Transmetropolitan turned out to be a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

It is good and pretty fun like all projects from that team, only Observe and Report is genuinely depressing.

I remember going to see this in theaters as a senior in high school, expecting a typical Seth Rogen comedy, and being absolutely blown the gently caress away. It really captures the "Thin (insert color) Line" mentality that amped up post-9/11, where everyone with a miniscule degree of authority started thinking of themselves as the last line of defense against the savages who would destroy America, whether that be a terrorist or a kid shoplifting from FYE.