Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Sleep more and sleep better.

Also listen to Sleep more. Dopesmokerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

david carmichael posted:

Sleep more and sleep better.

This is the actual correct answer.

To get better you need to sleep better.

There are more and more studies coming out about how greatly sleep affects your weight loss / muscle gain.

If you are only getting 5-6 hours a night you are hurting your training quite a lot.

The same thing where you can’t out train a bad diet the same goes for sleep and recovery.

Sleep more.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I aim for 8 hours every night, but lately the quality has been bad. It's probably just stress. I haven't wanted my gym time to suffer, but I'm probably due for some sort of deload anyway.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I aim for 8 hours every night, but lately the quality has been bad. It's probably just stress. I haven't wanted my gym time to suffer, but I'm probably due for some sort of deload anyway.

Fall SAD, stupid lack of sun.

Time for vitamin d supplements.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Cobra Commander posted:

I was first into the gym yesterday morning and was listening to this song at 0530 when the rest of the crew rolled in.

GET THE gently caress IN, BOYS.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Gearing up for our small town zombiethon in october. Practicing my foot-drag on the treadmill.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

MarcusSA posted:

This is the actual correct answer.

To get better you need to sleep better.

There are more and more studies coming out about how greatly sleep affects your weight loss / muscle gain.

If you are only getting 5-6 hours a night you are hurting your training quite a lot.

The same thing where you can’t out train a bad diet the same goes for sleep and recovery.

Sleep more.

Here's a guy who says you only need 6 :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g2ntIN7JuY

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everyone has a certain amount of sleep they need to get to be well-rested. That's generally in the range of 6-8 hours for most of us. Some of us are at the high end of that range, and others are at the low end. If you're not sleeping enough for you, you're going to have problems.

It would be nice if this were something you could change, but it's pretty strongly genetic. That goes for most sleep behavior.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yep, fast sleepers are a real, genetic thing, and that genetic trait has been shown to be correlated with life success IIRC. This, and only this, is why I'm not as successful as Arnold.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

ovenboy posted:

It is more like: "oh, it is singles for squat today" Start doing singles with increasing weight each set, and when the movement starts to slow down or you feel you've only got 3 or 4 left in you, start to add 4-5% per set.
The next set: "Oh, I could easily have done three more or so" *add 4-5%*
The next set: "hmm, I could at least done two more" *add 4-5%* repeat until you reach the prescribed intensity.
Then there is usually some back off sets, like subtract 5% and do sets here until it is RPE9 again, or subtract more and do sets of 5 for the back off work etc.

Most of the work will just seamlessly emerge from the warm ups (lets say you're supposed to do eights, then you just warm up with sets of eights until you reach the prescribes intensity), and most of the work is in the RPE8 range, with some sets of seven and some sets of 9 which is a range that even novices are good enough at judging. So sure, it is a bit more involved, but it is awesome when you have days like Bruce Willice in unbreakable, and just keep adding weight each set because that dang RPE8 or whatever never arrives. It also feels pretty good when you are sick/tired/impaired and you can train anyways, and when you get back for real you're hitting the ground running.
That said, there is no program or method that is going to fit everyone on the planet, and that is ok too.

Just chiming back in to say that this was fantastic advice, and really helpful for me. I think I was just overwhelmed with all of the various numbers and meanings without actually taking in the meaning.

I got my first 200kg deadlift pull today, I'm feeling very positive about how this program will go

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Hey guys! Haven't posted in the swole thread for a while, mostly because I ain't swole no mo'. But I wanted to give a quick status update, because nobody in my real life cares to hear about powerlifting.

ANYWAY: Squatted 365lbs when I weighed 210 pounds. Looked in the mirror later and was like "this has to go." So now here I am 8 months later, weighing 184 pounds and dropping. Wasn't hard. Just cut out all soda and fast food. Buuuuut now I'm weak as a baby. I'd guess my 1 rep squat is about 250lbs now, but I haven't tested it.

The best/worst part? Nobody said anything when I was at my strongest. Now that I'm "skinny" I've had multiple people tell me that I look like I've been lifting. :saddowns:

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Paper Diamonds posted:

Hey guys! Haven't posted in the swole thread for a while, mostly because I ain't swole no mo'. But I wanted to give a quick status update, because nobody in my real life cares to hear about powerlifting.

ANYWAY: Squatted 365lbs when I weighed 210 pounds. Looked in the mirror later and was like "this has to go." So now here I am 8 months later, weighing 184 pounds and dropping. Wasn't hard. Just cut out all soda and fast food. Buuuuut now I'm weak as a baby. I'd guess my 1 rep squat is about 250lbs now, but I haven't tested it.

The best/worst part? Nobody said anything when I was at my strongest. Now that I'm "skinny" I've had multiple people tell me that I look like I've been lifting. :saddowns:

Looking muscular has a lot to do with body fat % and losing 15% of your body weight is pretty significant. Yeah it sucks your lifts suffered but that will come back with a little effort.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Cool my abs and back are sore too, am I destined to be sore forever?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sweet As Sin posted:

Cool my abs and back are sore too, am I destined to be sore forever?

Keep going and it'll stop.

Unless you're over 30 then you'll always be sore until death takes you.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Ah gently caress I'm 30

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sweet As Sin posted:

Ah gently caress I'm 30

Oh its over.
Sorry

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Year 31; my body lies in ruin

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I turned 30 4 days ago :ohdear:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Can confirm; I'm 34 and every moment is agony.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've been 30 for 6 weeks and it isn't all bad

but I did have to start doing yoga and more daily stretching and lacrosse ball/massage roller work to stay ahead of the curve

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The trained eye can discern a Strong Fat Guy amongst regular Fat Guys, but most people will just see you as a fat guy

If you want to super swole you have to get shredded so the contours of your muscles are seen by average joe

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Zzulu posted:

The trained eye can discern a Strong Fat Guy amongst regular Fat Guys, but most people will just see you as a fat guy

If you want to super swole you have to get shredded so the contours of your muscles are seen by average joe

Confirmed. I looked bigger when I was 15lbs of fat lighter, and my brother looks huge and is like 40lbs lighter than me with like no fat.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zzulu posted:

A coworker recently saw me without a lab coat on and complimented me on my arms/shoulders.

I told him thanks and he should see my legs in my singlet.

I'm gonna find out this afternoon if I can jerk more than I clean. Split the two this 1RM cycle. Cleans went well enough yesterday. Put up 88kg but the catch was kind of janky. Need more practice pulling heavier weight so my brain stops trying to clean too early. Jerks have been great lately so I ought to at least do 88kg off blocks. 91 would be excellent since that's basically 200lbs.

Registered for the state championships for the experience and another weight class for my gym. If I play it right I basically pick my weight class for maximum team points.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Wish I had started lifting at 22 instead of at 32. Oh well. Just have to be more careful during my next reincarnation cycle.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Wish i had started lifting at 16

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had a weight training class in high school and completely squandered it. I was such a loving idiot.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I wish I'd started lifting at 14 with access to someone that actually knew how to program, not finding lovely Westside articles in Powerlifting USA when I was 16 or 17 and gym coaches that thought good mornings would break your back.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I am glad I started lifting at thirty, instead of forty or sixty.

Omnikin posted:

I've been 30 for 6 weeks and it isn't all bad

but I did have to start doing yoga and more daily stretching and lacrosse ball/massage roller work to stay ahead of the curve

friend, the only thing we truly have to do is to one day die

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
How are you supposed to interpret the weird phrasing the RP programs use for RIR? I understand what RPE and RIR are but the spreadsheets say "3/fail" "2/fail" "1/fail" which is weird. The instructions that came with the spreadsheet say it's supposed to be read as "x reps from failure" but that's still unclear to me. Is "1/fail" supposed to be RPE 9 or 10?

I've been doing my "1/fail" weeks as all RPE 10 grinds but maybe that's not optimal lol. I'm being consistent and making great progress so I guess it doesn't really matter much but it's something that's confused me about this program.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Should be RPE 9 as 10s aren't something you should regularly do in training. More like a mock meet or if you yolo and go off program.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
hm maybe that's why I feel like poo poo on the final weeks of each meso :thunk:

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

ovenboy posted:

I am glad I started lifting at thirty, instead of forty or sixty.

friend, the only thing we truly have to do is to one day die

:same: I did lift in my ealy 20s but not this way.

I'm constantly hungry, though. I struggle with meeting my calories and I wake up starving. My stomach is smaller now and I can't eat that much, I need to eat more often but sometimes I can't.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

The 30+ lower back pain can be cured with some swings

I lifted a bit in college but didn't really get into it until my late 20s unfortunately. I was an offensive center and D-tackle in middleschool/high school but completely shirked the weight training stuff.

bomb fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 13, 2019

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Zzulu posted:

I worked with a guy that was way into power lifting but we never connected on it because I thought he was just fat. Then we became fb friends when he moved, and I was like "oh..."

turd in my singlet posted:

hm maybe that's why I feel like poo poo on the final weeks of each meso :thunk:

No that's your Turkish cardio.

itskage fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 13, 2019

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Zzulu posted:

Wish i had started lifting at 16

I lucked out & my older bro got me into lifting/fitness when I was around 14/15, then I stuck with it in high school both my junior & senior years. People used to wonder why or tell me I was wasting my time going to the gym 3-4 days a week...now most of those people are just now trying to get into some kind of shape because they let themselves go or have other health problems (bad lungs from smoking, diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, joint pain from being overweight, etc.)

Makes me glad I stuck with it & didn't let their terrible opinions stop me. Even funnier that sticking with it consistently for 20+ years has made me look a ton younger than them, even with a shaved head & a little gray in my beard.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Every RP template I've seen has you work up to a 1/fail over a meso but boy do BBM/RTS/JTS love having you hit a RPE 9 top set every week for loving everything.

turd in my singlet posted:

How are you supposed to interpret the weird phrasing the RP programs use for RIR? I understand what RPE and RIR are but the spreadsheets say "3/fail" "2/fail" "1/fail" which is weird. The instructions that came with the spreadsheet say it's supposed to be read as "x reps from failure" but that's still unclear to me. Is "1/fail" supposed to be RPE 9 or 10?

I've been doing my "1/fail" weeks as all RPE 10 grinds but maybe that's not optimal lol. I'm being consistent and making great progress so I guess it doesn't really matter much but it's something that's confused me about this program.

One more rep till failure. Is how I read it, so RIR 1 or RPE 9.

Also just looked at one of the RP template pdfs.

quote:

5.) What is “3/fail, etc…” and what does it mean?
A: As described in the “how to” document, x/fail means you stop the working set as soon as you reach x
number of reps away from muscular failure. Another way to put this is that you should rack the weight
and end the set when you have x reps left in the tank. For example, if the instruction is 1/fail, that
means that you should be lifting until you only have one rep at most left in the tank, with good
technique.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
lol apparently i cant read

Guyver posted:

Every RP template I've seen has you work up to a 1/fail over a meso but boy do BBM/RTS/JTS love having you hit a RPE 9 top set every week for loving everything.

I think it's supposed to be skill specific for meet prep? BBM's hypertrophy and GPP programs don't have a lot of @9s, but I know their meet prep programs do. The 1@8 is practice at doing a heavy single, and the working set @9 is practice for high intensity. Then you do your volume sets.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah it might be just their strength templates. The current Str 3 template even the accessory work on the first developmental block is like 10@7, 10@8, 10@9 then 2x10@-5% of @9.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Cobra Commander posted:

top of page 420 with this post :2bong:

Anyway, I started lifting in January and have lost over 30 pounds with very little cardio, from 200 down to 165, although I am pretty active otherwise through my other hobbies. If I can just get my beer drinking habit under control, I should be shredded and pretty healthy in no time! Except I have to have surgery to repair a paraesophageal hernia this year which is probably going to suck for about 4 weeks

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

top of page 420 with this post :2bong:

Anyway, I started lifting in January and have lost over 30 pounds with very little cardio, from 200 down to 165, although I am pretty active otherwise through my other hobbies. If I can just get my beer drinking habit under control, I should be shredded in no time! Except I have to have surgery to repair a paraesophageal hernia this year which is probably going to suck for about 4 weeks

Guy at my gym got that done not too long ago and yup it sucks. It’s probably a bit older though so his recovery took longer.