Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Junior G-man posted:

Didn't Spoons drop the price of their pints by like 20p last week? Wonder what impact that had their margins ...

This is to quick to impact their profit margins, they have known about the drop for some time - so what it actually means is that the price drop is a desperate attempt to get customers to visit, dressed up in Brexit terms to get a headline and free publicity.

So he's trying to profit off brexit like the rest of them.

EDIT - 203AD was a dull year, noted only for the martyring of Perpetua and Felicitas 203Bc saw Publius Cornelius Scipio murdering some Carthaginians.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Another thing about "alternative" treatments is time. GPs are hard-pressed enough to spend more than 7 minutes with each patient, which is fine for "look at this lump" - "yeah that needs removing, the removal place will contact you, bye", but is terrible for bedside manner and feeling listened to, as someone said above - though GPs do try, I'm amazed how much you can actually squeeze into a tiny appointment.

Whereas for a payment that is either affordable or at least not unthinkable, you can get half an hour, or even an hour or more with a different type of person in a white coat, who will listen and take you seriously, if only because they can sell you more woo that way, but that's a placebo effect in itself. And the more evidence-based/honest ones will either be able to actually help, or go "woah, that's real medicine territory, back to the doctor with you!"

Everyone should read Trick or Treatment - spoiler: not all of every type of alternative treatment is junk, but a lot of it is.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Guavanaut posted:

The threat might encourage more regional representation.

Surely empowering existing representation rather than creating new bodies though?

Saith posted:

I dunno butt, if we managed to somehow weasel our way out of the UK and into the EU, I think we'd be getting off easy.

If the Severn Toll gets turned into a visa charge I’m gonna be loving livid

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Steve2911 posted:

Brewdog has loads of pubs with good burgers, and their non-Punk pints are infinitely better.

Sorry, not supporting a company that does shite like this:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Borrovan posted:

you probably already know this but there was a big indy march in Merthyr the other day. Apparently the SWP were out in force handing out a bunch of literature saying that independence is actually bad but no really people should join the SWP :laugh:

Independence is meant to get us away from the weird cult full of sex perverts though

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Someone should poll support for independence if it means forming a union of basically what they have now but without England.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Qwertycoatl posted:

It was the best thing in my life until I found it worked with the dynamite hotkey as well

Oh my Jesus what

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobstar posted:

Another thing about "alternative" treatments is time. GPs are hard-pressed enough to spend more than 7 minutes with each patient, which is fine for "look at this lump" - "yeah that needs removing, the removal place will contact you, bye", but is terrible for bedside manner and feeling listened to, as someone said above - though GPs do try, I'm amazed how much you can actually squeeze into a tiny appointment.

Whereas for a payment that is either affordable or at least not unthinkable, you can get half an hour, or even an hour or more with a different type of person in a white coat, who will listen and take you seriously, if only because they can sell you more woo that way, but that's a placebo effect in itself. And the more evidence-based/honest ones will either be able to actually help, or go "woah, that's real medicine territory, back to the doctor with you!"

Everyone should read Trick or Treatment - spoiler: not all of every type of alternative treatment is junk, but a lot of it is.

What ones aren't junk (placebo effect notwithstanding, since presumably that's all of them)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

Brewdog posted:

Satirically dubbed Beer for Girls, Pink IPA is BrewDog’s clarion call to close the gender pay gap in the UK and around the world and to expose sexist marketing to women, particularly within the beer industry. This is our overt parody on the failed, tone-deaf campaigns that some brands have attempted in order to attract women.

For the next four weeks, we are offering Pink IPA. Inside the bottle, it is the exact same beer as Punk IPA. But on the outside, it looks different. This is a reflection of the situation around the world relating to gender imbalance – Pink IPA is our effort to raise awareness of the current, unwelcome, status quo. At BrewDog we are committed to a workplace free from inequality of any sort.

To reference the gender pay gap, 20% of the proceeds from Punk IPA and Pink IPA sold over the next 4 weeks will be donated to charities that fight inequality and support women. In the UK, we’re supporting the Women’s Engineering Society. In America, the pay gap is 19%, and the charity receiving that portion of proceeds will be 9to5. Read more about our charity partners and find the gender pay gap in your country here.

What’s more, people who identify as female will be able to pick up Pink IPA in any BrewDog bar for 20% less. The beer will launch in our bars this Thursday 8th March to coincide with International Women’s Day.

The gender pay gap is one issue to which we are taking aim with Pink IPA. But we have a second problem that also warrants action. It beggars belief that in 2018 we are still seeing some breweries rely on sexist marketing to sell their beers.

Lazily targeting the female market with sub-par products designed by expensive research are inherently patronising. Depicting women in wholly unacceptable ways on labels is something we do not condone, and creating concepts that undermine women’s ability to enjoy beer (ANY beer) is both short sighted and restricts progression.

Pink IPA is our contribution to the ongoing debate around the representation of gender diversity within the beer industry. We want to change the image of beer forever; for the better. Pink, Punk, it’s all the same. Drink whatever makes you happy.

You can pick up Pink IPA from our online shop here, or in our BrewDog bars from Thursday, and if you identify as female you’ll get 20% off in bars.

Men? You pay full price. Reality really is that harsh.

Probably quite cynical but not all that cunty imo. :shrug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rarity posted:

At least women can have a beer as compensation for not being allowed to have a Yorkie

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
their beer is really expensive and not very good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanford posted:

Last time my wife and I went in a Spoons it was for breakfast and we had to wait twenty minutes while the barman served two "dirty pints" of mixed spirits to some lad out on a stag do with his mates. They encourage responsible drinking, it seems, by looking at two nearly-full pint glasses and saying "probably get another double rum in there?". They guy's face when he got told it was eighty-eight quid was a picture - he just stood there looking into his now empty wallet with a crestfallen expression. By the time we left one of the party had been sick on the way to the toilets, one was lying face down in the smoking area, and one of the pints had been dropped unsipped on the patio. Decent breakfast, but we've not been back.

This whole post reads like Hubert Selby Jr., but the most upsetting part is bringing your wife there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

Surely empowering existing representation rather than creating new bodies though?
Little of both. There are existing bodies like the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly and the London Assembly, but other regions had their assemblies dissolved or turned into talking shops like LGYH.

I would like to see a Council of Provinces replace the 'Lords' (mostly life peers plus some dukes and episcopi) as an upper house though.

Barry Foster posted:

What ones aren't junk (placebo effect notwithstanding, since presumably that's all of them)
Chinese and Indian medicine places are allowed to dispense stuff like ephedrine, which chemists can't and the NHS won't, as long as they do it in plant form. Which isn't as precise as actual pharmacology, but it does still work.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

Chinese and Indian medicine places are allowed to dispense stuff like ephedrine, which chemists can't and the NHS won't, as long as they do it in plant form. Which isn't as precise as actual pharmacology, but it does still work.

Hell yeah it does, best gym workouts on that stuff. Shame it keeps me awake for 26 hours or so

But then I'm not sure I count that as alternative medicine, because it is most assuredly an Actual Drug

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Brewdog is rightly dunked on nowadays as it often conspicuously fails to live out its values.

Beer is fine though and there are worse companies.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Brewdog aggressively purchase real estate and shove in their own lovely bars. My partner and I often go on long walks around London just to explore - we'll come across a bar we used to like drinking in only to find its now a brewdog. I hate their smarmy ad campaigns too, 'advert on a bus' haha how clever of you. I guess the beers a step up from carlsberg or whatever but there's a million other UK beers that are better. Beavertown can go gently caress themselves too.

I'll have a quarter pounder please

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Steve2911 posted:

Probably quite cynical but not all that cunty imo. :shrug:

They made it loving pink

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
To bring this back to Williamson, maybe this is just the uppity homo in me speaking but I gotta say during an epidemic that came close to wiping out an entire community having a straight woman preying on people to push some The Secret bullshit about aids can be cured by positive thinking and love and that people dying painfully were to blame for not wanting it enough is stone cold disgusting and defending it as spiritual beliefs is vile

Also if the quality of American lib coming to this thread to rubber neck brexit is gonna be people supporting that or that landlord loving gently caress then jesus christ the next few months are gonna be really insufferable before we end up all mad max.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I had a job at 'spoons during my uni days and it was quite a fun place to work in the early 00's. By the time I moved on, head office had started gradually squeezing every last drop of profit they could find, and that has continued relentlessly ever since. Even now I still keep in touch with a lot of the people I worked with back then and have heard various stories:

• Employee benefits like free coffee removed, which costs the company less than 5p per cup.
  • Staff discount on food reduced and only available on shifts over a certain length. Quite common to get rota'd on for 1 hour less than that.
  • Many food options were gradually replaced with cheaper and much worse alternatives.
  • Adding fingerprint-based clocking machines to remove paid breaks.
  • 48 hour contracts for salaried management who were still expected to do unpaid overtime.
  • Paying those managers gently caress all and wondering why all the good ones moved on to other big chains like Costa Coffee.
  • Some really shady poo poo where external auditors are incentivised to fail pub stock checks, causing all the staff in the pub to miss out on bonuses
  • For a while new staff were expected to do the online training courses unpaid in their own time from home, until head office realised how loving illegal that is.
  • Staff have been asked to hand out those lovely brexit magazines to nearby houses 'on their way home'. Unpaid of course.

When I conquer the ash wastes of post-No Deal Britain, Tim Martin's severed head will be proudly mounted on the front of my war rig.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

This whole post reads like Hubert Selby Jr., but the most upsetting part is bringing your wife there
I read it in the slow, careful narration of an elder William S. Burroughs, wavering between slight bitterness and general world-weariness.

Barry Foster posted:

Hell yeah it does, best gym workouts on that stuff. Shame it keeps me awake for 26 hours or so

But then I'm not sure I count that as alternative medicine, because it is most assuredly an Actual Drug
It's alternative in that you generally get it from a person who has studied at a completely different set of institutions to the medical mainstream, you don't take a prescription to the chemist, and that it comes in plant-based form, but yeah, it works because of containing actual drugs.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Guardian
Network Rail failed to act in the interests of tenants and the taxpayer when it sold off £1.5bn of railway arches, sacrificing an important asset for short-term gain, according to MPs.
The PAC chair, Meg Hillier, said: “Ultimately, government took a short-term decision to sell a profitable asset to plug a funding gap."

MPs noted it would lose Network Rail at least £80m – potentially £160m – a year in rental income. It could also lead to significant costs for the taxpayer should the rail infrastructure manager need to repurchase space for engineering works or upgrades in the future.

The sale makes the new owners the biggest landlord to small businesses in the UK.

:monocle:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
what's the deal with beavertown, i assumed there would be something lovely about them eventually but i never bothered to go digging

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Brewdog are a lovely company but I do have a weakness for Elvis Juice, it's delicious and I'm a sucker for grapefruit style ipas.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Brewdog make a couple of good beers, but their whole operation is just such cynical affected bourgie punk bullshit that it's real offputting. Also I don't wanna pay a premium for a brand, because I'm a low income motherfucker and beer is expensive enough as it is here in Bog Mongolia.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Zalakwe posted:

Brewdog is rightly dunked on nowadays as it often conspicuously fails to live out its values.

I can actually hear a passerby shouting in a small, distant voice "your beer's poo poo, mate".

Pretty sure that's Lothian Road in Edinburgh.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Nuclear Spoon posted:

what's the deal with beavertown, i assumed there would be something lovely about them eventually but i never bothered to go digging

I guess nothing too horrible, just still marketing themselves as a quirky craft brewery that only cares about quality. Heineken bought an undisclosed portion of their company so they could build a huge new building, they often contract brewed in Belgium when they couldn't keep up with demand, stopped supplying the distributors that made them big in the first place so they could prioritise selling to the supermarket chains.

Like I don't mind if you wanna go big and make money but don't pretend you're some little guy slugging it out with the German consortiums any more in the name of good beer. Plus neck oil tastes like old piss

I have Opinions On Beer

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

crispix posted:

Pretty sure that's Lothian Road in Edinburgh.

I think you're right, good spot if so.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is probably completely obvious in every way, but Pink is my favourite colour.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
didn’t they invite a bunch of chuds to make some kind of MAGA beer or something? I remember the controversy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

el dingo posted:

I guess nothing too horrible, just still marketing themselves as a quirky craft brewery that only cares about quality. Heineken bought an undisclosed portion of their company so they could build a huge new building, they often contract brewed in Belgium when they couldn't keep up with demand, stopped supplying the distributors that made them big in the first place so they could prioritise selling to the supermarket chains.

Like I don't mind if you wanna go big and make money but don't pretend you're some little guy slugging it out with the German consortiums any more in the name of good beer. Plus neck oil tastes like old piss

I have Opinions On Beer

Same kind of poo poo as innocent smoothies isn't it? "Aw shucks, we're just a plucky underdog trying to bring good vibes into your life with kale and a blender. Buy this poo poo or you will die of heart disease!"

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jose posted:

their beer is really expensive and not very good
their alcoholic beer is massively average, but they were the first brewery I knew of that made alcohol-free beer that didn't taste like watered down Fosters. There's tons of better 'craft' alcohol free beers nowadays but maybe they deserve a bit of credit for helping start the trend.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zalakwe posted:

i'm the beer without borders sign on a lovely pallet fence

also did they cheap out and use CHEP pallets which are already blue? if so you can annoy the local brewdog manager by siccing the world's scariest pallet company on them :lol:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

VideoGames posted:

It is probably completely obvious in every way, but Pink is my favourite colour.

Hard same, comrade.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

didn’t they invite a bunch of chuds to make some kind of MAGA beer or something? I remember the controversy
Makes Animals Gay Ale

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

el dingo posted:

Like I don't mind if you wanna go big and make money but don't pretend you're some little guy slugging it out with the German consortiums any more in the name of good beer.

Which is also Brewdog in a nut shell, the only difference being that they might as well be inBev themselves now. Success story? Sure. "Punk"? not any longer. I would have so much more respect for them if they actually socialised profits among their members.

Quite like a Neck Oil. Much prefer Siren's Sound Wave. Peak beer for me despite trying far too many like the toff I am.

suck my woke dick posted:

I'm the faceless drone in the white t-shirt.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

also did they cheap out and use CHEP pallets which are already blue? if so you can annoy the local brewdog manager by siccing the world's scariest pallet company on them :lol:

Nah they're not chep, they look like those cheap flimsy pieces of poo poo that can't hold a stack of toilet paper without snapping. chep make some sturdy stuff

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Zalakwe posted:

I'm the faceless drone in the white t-shirt.

He has the composure of a man who is undertaking serious contemplation of life decisions made tbf.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

It's "ironic" (probably not).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

toiletbrush posted:

their alcoholic beer is massively average, but they were the first brewery I knew of that made alcohol-free beer that didn't taste like watered down Fosters. There's tons of better 'craft' alcohol free beers nowadays but maybe they deserve a bit of credit for helping start the trend.

I honestly don't get alcohol free beer. If I'm not drinking I don't want a cheap imitation of beer I'll just drink something different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The new punk AF is pretty good, we've been selling poo poo loads of it

Brooklyn special effects too for another alcohol free option

(i don't work for BD or Brooklyn just stock their beer)