Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

A chemist once told me that as long as you drink enough methylated spirits, the 85% ethanol will competitively saturate the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme in the liver, preventing the 10% methanol from being converted to formaldehyde, so you'll get a lovely headache but won't go blind.

I have not tested this and would not recommend it without further independent research, but need and needs must post-Brexit.

I've actually told this story before it it bears repeating that many moons ago a Polish friend of the family brought back some "Polish vodka" for my dad, which is just methanol you're meant to put into a strong level of normal vodka for an extra kick. My dad... did not bother to finish the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

^^^I was wondering if it might come across as racist that I mentioned the nationality of the distillers, thanks for explaining why it's relevant

Guavanaut posted:

A chemist once told me that as long as you drink enough methylated spirits, the 85% ethanol will competitively saturate the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme in the liver, preventing the 10% methanol from being converted to formaldehyde, so you'll get a lovely headache but won't go blind.

I have not tested this and would not recommend it without further independent research, but need and needs must post-Brexit.
A medic told me the same exact thing, apparently fucktons of regular alcohol is an effective treatment for methanol poisoning. For context, we were hammering down a bunch of "whisky" that some Polish lads in Southampton made in their garage at the time, so he must have been confident.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

One common treatment for methanol poisoning is administering a whole lot of ethanol, so it sounds plausible.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I could actually do with some low abv beers for a house party this weekend, what's the UKMT recommendation?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I learned that in med school S02E01 when House makes LL Cool J drink to cure his methanol poisoning.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I could actually do with some low abv beers for a house party this weekend, what's the UKMT recommendation?
I wouldn't go as far as "recommendation" but I always drink Argus french lager from Lidl, £2 for an 8-pack of 250ml bottles (check the strength though, there's a more expensive version of the same brand that's stronger).

It's fine, pretty much tastes like any brand name French bottled lager except that you can have a few & drive home since an entire pack is like 2 pints across the whole evening.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

Alcohol-free alcohol is good

Borrovan posted:

A medic told me the same exact thing, apparently fucktons of regular alcohol is an effective treatment for methanol poisoning. For context, we were hammering down a bunch of "whisky" that some Polish lads in Southampton made in their garage at the time, so he must have been confident.
The good news is that if you're distilling from a mash made of anything starchy (grain, potats, neeps) or pure sugar it's almost impossible to get any methanol in the finished spirit, because there's none in the mash, and even a fruit based distillation should be fine. Throw away the heads anyway because they're gross and can cause headaches.

Almost all methanol poisoning from distilled spirits is due to black marketeers thinking that they can get away with cutting the finished product with a few percent of methanol and pick a few percent too many.

But yeah, drinking a fuckton of ethanol is an effective antidote to methanol poisoning (also brexits).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rarity posted:

Fragile masculinity isn't inept manly behaviour though. Fragile masculinity is when men either do things they don't want to or do things that are really silly out of a desire to come across as more masculine. They're examples of how the patriarchy hurts men as well as women. There's some great articles on it by The Good Men Project which is a site I massively recommend.

I mean yeah fair enough, but the example given was it being funny men were drinking non-alcoholic beer that had bottles made in a similar "macho" style as normal beer bottles. Which I don't think is really hurting anyone, and is clearly something the men in question want to do.

e: Or to put it another way it seems like the silliness sometimes comes from the perceived lack of manliness in the first place. Hardly makes a difference if the beer is alcoholic or not, aside from that it's somehow okay to have a punkish manly bottle for your alcoholic one but it's silly to want to the same bottle for your weakass pansy non-alcoholic one.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 13, 2019

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Mrenda posted:

I think for some people it's that it's a non-sweet alcohol free drink. Most of the alcohol free stuff is either plain water, or sweet stuff, whether it's fruit juices, water with fruit, or soft drinks.

Exactly this, tonic water can be good because the quinine gives it a nice bitter taste, but it can still be quite sweet sometimes.

Pressure Drop, Big Drop Citra IPA is a very nice 0.5% beer, probably the best low alcohol one I've tried so far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mrenda posted:

I think for some people it's that it's a non-sweet alcohol free drink. Most of the alcohol free stuff is either plain water, or sweet stuff, whether it's fruit juices, water with fruit, or soft drinks.

That's different, if you're drinking it cause you like it then that's not putting on a front for the lads or anything.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The absolute best low abv beer is Kernel Brewery table beer. Usually clocks in around 3%

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Who drinks beer out of a poncy bottle in a pub anyway?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Who drinks beer out of a poncy bottle in a pub anyway?

Even if I buy a bottle of beer I usually ask for a glass to pour it into because I find drinking from a bottle awkward.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I only drink beer from the most performatively masculine vessel when I'm with other men. A giant hollow glass phallus.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The problem is that unless explicitly told otherwise by the people peddling their quackery (and sometimes even then), people will drop both chemo- and radiation-therapy if they can just "do these simple steps" because those simple steps won't have the same side-effects as chemo- and radiation-therapy have.
Despite the fact that I felt like I got off easy by only having to deal with incredible amounts of tiredness (which unfortunately has become chronic) and tinitus from chemo- and radiation-therapy, I met several people who were considering going with alternative solutions instead of continuing to receive therapies because they were feeling the side-effects more than me, despite being told that the alternatives they were thinking of were complementary.

VideoGames posted:

It is probably completely obvious in every way, but Pink is my favourite colour.
Pink is a great color and one of my favorites, although my all-time favorite is purple.
If I had the money for it, I'd have several purple suits to wear for special occasions.

Ebola Dog posted:

Alcohol free (or low alcohol, 0.5%) beer is nice at lunchtime or if I want something to drink that's not sweet or plain water. Many soft drinks are either full of sugar or sweetener and I don't always want a sweet drink. I don't want to drink alcohol free beer for the sake of drinking beer but because I like the taste (as long as it is a nice tasting one that is!) but don't always want the alcohol.
It is surprising how much of a blessing it is to live near a well which has water that tastes really good.

Also if anyone could help me, I've been trying to piece this together, but I'm still not entirely sure.
Does 'melt' mean someone whose brain has melted? That's as close as I've come to a definition when it's used here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beer is called "beer" because "piss" was already taken.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Rarity posted:

This is an interesting response cause me and my friends had been talking about how this is an example of fragile masculinity. Why do you need to front that you're getting boozed up when you're not and why does drinking soft drinks make you look like "a fanny"?

I mean I was just pointing out that this is (certainly was) a phenomenon. I don't know the answer to your question because that isn't me.

Jesus Christ I'm going to stop posting here for a while, bye.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I only drink beer from the most performatively masculine vessel when I'm with other men. A giant hollow glass phallus.

There is absolutely some oval office out there who drinks from a glass vagina to prove he's not gay.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

D. Ebdrup posted:

Does 'melt' mean someone whose brain has melted? That's as close as I've come to a definition when it's used here.
It's northern and Scottish slang for an idiot. I'm not sure what the etymology is, but I guess it's the same as soft or dull (as in not bright or not sharp, not as in weak or uninteresting).

Tesseraction posted:

There is absolutely some oval office out there who drinks from a glass vagina to prove he's not gay.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I get six men to stand round me in a circle flicking drops of it at my mouth while grunting encouragement. Obviously grunting is the manliest form of communication, and kneeling is a sign of respect to their manliness. Filming it for the internet is of course to freak out beta cucks with how manly i am. Please say I am a man. I need htis please

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not sure perfomative masculinity means much if you hide in your ma's basement 24/7.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

crispix posted:

I mean I was just pointing out that this is (certainly was) a phenomenon. I don't know the answer to your question because that isn't me.

Jesus Christ I'm going to stop posting here for a while, bye.
hope you handle minor misunderstandings better irl

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Not sure perfomative masculinity means much if you hide in your ma's basement 24/7.
Can't have your masculinity questioned by the large African Muslims who patrol London for Sadiq Khan if you hide in the basement 24/7 with your collection of glass cunts.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Tesseraction posted:

This will never not be funny

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1172463454671835137?s=20
https://twitter.com/How_Upsetting/status/1172470235947048960?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

My White Elf casts Cone of Not-Racist.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ah the lowest level of non-apology (below even "sorry if you chose to be offended"): the "we obviously need to get better at explaining how you're wrong and we're right"

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bobstar posted:

I learned that in med school S02E01 when House makes LL Cool J drink to cure his methanol poisoning.

metoo

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Anyone been to a jobs fare? I went to one yesterday did a circuit of the room and picked up some leaflets for jobs but not sure if that's what you generally do at these things.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

bessantj posted:

Anyone been to a jobs fare? I went to one yesterday did a circuit of the room and picked up some leaflets for jobs but not sure if that's what you generally do at these things.

I always pick the leaflets up when I go sign on so it looks like I give a poo poo, but I've never been to one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I won three jobs at the hook-a-duck.

Depends on the fair, some of them are just excuses for companies to give away pens and promotional material and others you can actually chat to the people there if there's something that catches your eye and find out whether you'd get on well with it before applying.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

bessantj posted:

the key advantage of job fairs is that there are a people from a hundred industries you know nothing about that are keen to answer your questions. check the website beforehand and make a list of all the companies that you might just tolerate working for. this should be a substantial fraction of the companies. then go to the fair and talk to people from each company on your list, and chuck the ones which are obviously terrible. hopefully you get to the end of it with companies that seem interesting. then send both them and their competitors a job app.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
One recruitment secret that doctors hate telling you is that attitude makes a heap of difference. When in doubt, talk to the people at a job fair and look interested. Like, you wouldn't believe how many people apply for jobs and then turn out to not even seem that interested when you call them for interviews. I'd rather have a team member that gels with the group and can adopt than someone who has the perfect educational background.

If it turns out you're unqualified for the job, talk to them about what would be required for you to be qualified. Sometimes there are relatively short job training courses available.

Just having talked to the recruiter can be helpful if you're not ace at writing a resume etc., they might put you in their "special pile" if you hit it off. But they won't do it if you just walk through in silence and take a pen and some candies. Worst case scenario you'll pick up a lot of surface level information about different trades and industries.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Rarity posted:

That's different, if you're drinking it cause you like it then that's not putting on a front for the lads or anything.

Apologies. I quoted you continuing the thread, when really the "some people actually like a/f beer" was addressing the point about non-alcoholic beers existing only to save face.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I lived in Spain for a while, and I miss that no-alcohol beer is dirt cheap over there, while here it costs nearly as much as the full gets-you-pissed stuff. No-alcohol San Miguel was something ridiculous like 38 cents per can, while Heineken 0.0s or Brewdogs here are getting on for a quid, or more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1172474776125943809

"studied the blade energy" is a loving killer phrase

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Yeah, the Vmax of ethanol:AD is a lot faster than methanol:AD, so Dr. House was not bullshitting on this one.

Needless to say, don't try to apply this logic to almost any other drug/poison combo tho

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just did a great belly laugh at Jo Swinson taking a dump all over "economically conservative, socially liberal" when it's the Lib Dems entire reason for existing.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
^^^Especially since she just pissed off the other half by offering a pointless £9k bung to everyone.

Nah, this is just 4D chess. She's positioning herself so that when they become the Liberal Quisling UKs, the graun won't call the transition forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

Wales would be proper hosed as an independent nation though? North Wales in particular?

There's a lot of animosity towards South Wales in the North (source: am from North Wales). There's a perception that South Wales betrayed the country by dumbing down the language, and by bending over backwards to please the English. So any successful plan for independence would have to include some amount of appeasement to close those old wounds, perhaps including moving the Capital to Aberystwyth as a compromise, and greater economic investment in the North