Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is me irl

I'm sure I've mentioned this story before but one of my acquaintances boasted that he could wheelie literally any bike, with a standard bet of one pint at several biker pubs in the Home Counties if anyone could bring him a (road-legal, two-wheeled) bike that he couldn't. I've seen him wheelie old French mopeds (full throttle and full pedaling required to get the torque), full-dress Harleys, and even a shaft-drive BMW (possibly breaking the universe in the process, but that's an old internet joke for another story).

Then one of my neighbours decided to really push him and handed over the keys to his 80s Goldwing (the one I know I've mentioned before with the massive sound system he would use to blast Ride of the Valkyries while filtering). Wheelie bloke took it off round the corner and came past the car park of the pub several times with variations on the theme of throttle, clutch and weight failing to get the wheel more than an inch off the ground. He disappeared for a minute or two - long enough for us to believe that he'd fled in shame - before he came past, one foot on the pillion, one on the backrest, with the luggage scraping the ground and the number plate shattered. He explained the technique was to stand on the seat, slam on the brakes, and jump on the back seat while clutching it up, if anyone wants to replicate it (on someone elses bike...)

Fair play to him he did offer to replace the scratched up bits but my mate decided he'd keep them to pretend he'd done it, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

before he came past, one foot on the pillion, one on the backrest, with the luggage scraping the ground and the number plate shattered.

:lol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm sure I've mentioned this story before but one of my acquaintances boasted that he could wheelie literally any bike, with a standard bet of one pint at several biker pubs in the Home Counties if anyone could bring him a (road-legal, two-wheeled) bike that he couldn't. I've seen him wheelie old French mopeds (full throttle and full pedaling required to get the torque), full-dress Harleys, and even a shaft-drive BMW (possibly breaking the universe in the process, but that's an old internet joke for another story).

Then one of my neighbours decided to really push him and handed over the keys to his 80s Goldwing (the one I know I've mentioned before with the massive sound system he would use to blast Ride of the Valkyries while filtering). Wheelie bloke took it off round the corner and came past the car park of the pub several times with variations on the theme of throttle, clutch and weight failing to get the wheel more than an inch off the ground. He disappeared for a minute or two - long enough for us to believe that he'd fled in shame - before he came past, one foot on the pillion, one on the backrest, with the luggage scraping the ground and the number plate shattered. He explained the technique was to stand on the seat, slam on the brakes, and jump on the back seat while clutching it up, if anyone wants to replicate it (on someone elses bike...)

Fair play to him he did offer to replace the scratched up bits but my mate decided he'd keep them to pretend he'd done it, lol.

I’m literally that dude. You can wheelie anything with the right setup.

tjones posted:

As someone who rides a friend's floorboarded Harley when I'm bored and swapping bikes, gently caress floorboards. They serve no good purpose.

The same goes for dual lever shifters.

Agreed on both points. I’m glad whoever bought the bike originally had the good taste to get the pegs and single action shifter.

I also took the highway peg floorboards off the front and replaced them with leftover RD350 pegs

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I replaced the piston on my Husqvarna FC350 this weekend cause it was bogging out at high rpm/high speed and it was blowing some smoke out the butt.

The old piston and rings looked alright and not torched and it still smokes a bit and I'm thinking I should've done valve stem seals as well while I was in there :(

Anyone want to tell me it's a terrible idea to ride a bike on a kart track this weekend that has leaky valve stem seals? cause I'm gonna do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s not a terrible idea. Keep it topped up with oil. Leaky valve guid seals are more of a cosmetic annoyance.

Real answer: it’s a euro dirt bike. Chances are good it was gonna blow up anyway.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It's only annoying because the main symptom is bogging out when you're approaching 100mph at the top of 5th, which is really hard to diagnose and repeat on the street. Abusing a sumo on a full size road track is incredibly fun and probably very bad for the engine.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
For some stupid reason I got the itch to open up my Nighthawk 750 and bleed the hydraulic tappets (since I'd never seen one, and thought it might clear up a ticking that I am imagining I can hear).

I've spent the last day and a half pulling out the camshafts, checking out the rockers, bleeding tappets, cursing at the cam chain and timing marks, freaking out when the engine stopped turning (turns out the cam chain loves to bind up in the bottom end), and finally buttoning it all up and starting the engine with some trepidation. The engine runs fine (but the ticking is still there :toot:).

I actually had a reason to be in there to replace the seal on the valve cover, but could have done only that with a lot less blood and angst. I learned a lot and can't say I totally regret the experience.

One technical question: I didn't see a way to line up the firing order with the crank rotation (since each cylinder only needs to fire on every other crank rotation). Do the coils just fire on every rotation (that is to say, do they fire an extra spark at the end of the exhaust stroke?)

EDIT: I always forget to get pics of these things in progress but enjoy a pic of my camshafts:

Ulf fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 9, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

For some stupid reason I got the itch to open up my Nighthawk 750 and bleed the hydraulic tappets (since I'd never seen one, and thought it might clear up a ticking that I am imagining I can hear).

I've spent the last day and a half pulling out the camshafts, checking out the rockers, bleeding tappets, cursing at the cam chain and timing marks, freaking out when the engine stopped turning (turns out the cam chain loves to bind up in the bottom end), and finally buttoning it all up and starting the engine with some trepidation. The engine runs fine (but the ticking is still there :toot:).

I actually had a reason to be in there to replace the seal on the valve cover, but could have done only that with a lot less blood and angst. I learned a lot and can't say I totally regret the experience.

One technical question: I didn't see a way to line up the firing order with the crank rotation (since each cylinder only needs to fire on every other crank rotation). Do the coils just fire on every rotation (that is to say, do they fire an extra spark at the end of the exhaust stroke?)

EDIT: I always forget to get pics of these things in progress but enjoy a pic of my camshafts:

That's exactly what they do, when 1 is firing 4 is exhausting so the spark does nothing, and vice versa plus the same for 2-3. It's referred to as a wasted spark system, what with the one spark event per coil going to waste.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

tjones posted:

As someone who rides a friend's floorboarded Harley when I'm bored and swapping bikes, gently caress floorboards. They serve no good purpose.

The same goes for dual lever shifters.

The one time I've seen a valid use for them was an acquaintance that had almost lost his leg in a motorcycle accident (he was riding and a sedan ran a red light and t-boned him). They reattached it but he had severely limited flexibility and mobility in that foot.

He could press with his leg, but he couldn't lift flex at the ankle. But that's about the only situation I've seen where I thought they made sense.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rex clutch:

Fiber plates are within spec and not visibly warped, I don't have a great reference plate to properly check against for warpage

Steel plates are mostly very smooth finish, with spots that are visibly matte instead of shiny, but still finger-smooth. The furthest in steel plate is a bit discolored.

Basket and hub seem in good condition. There's a bit of a wavy feeling on the surface of the basket grooves that pushes against the clutch plate fingers. Couldn't get the hub nut off even with putting a pipe through the wheel spokes. Should have left it in fifth.

The main springs are a couple thou above the rejection spec. They should be closer to a hundred thou above. Getting new springs.

The rollers in the thrust bearing are quite worn. Getting a new thrust bearing, pin, and plate.

Hopefully that will take care of the gronk.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I changed the fork springs and oil on my nx 250(the black one) to make it be a little firmer. Used fork oil smells soo bad.
I also lowered the front fender back to stock since we're gonna stud some default dimension front tires for this winter so I don't need the extra room for the tire to clear.

Next up is to mount a extra light that turns with the fork like my brother has set up on his red one. Wired into the high beam. We use cyclops 10k h4 bulbs, but the light not turning with the bike is a little annoying in the fall.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 13, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to do a coolant flush this weekend so today I picked up the supplies. Apparently it's a huge time-sink effort if you want to actually do a flush and not just a quick change. Mainly because you have to ride and let the motor cool before you start messing with the cooling system for obvious scalding-prevention reasons.

I may change my spark plugs while I'm at it, since I bought replacements a month ago.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Martytoof posted:

Going to do a coolant flush this weekend so today I picked up the supplies. Apparently it's a huge time-sink effort if you want to actually do a flush and not just a quick change. Mainly because you have to ride and let the motor cool before you start messing with the cooling system for obvious scalding-prevention reasons.

I may change my spark plugs while I'm at it, since I bought replacements a month ago.

Possible foot in mouth here, because I haven't done a coolant flush on a bike, but surely its no different than a car? They have kits where you can take off a radiator hose, hook up the kit, then use a garden hose to flush the entire system. I would think that would save you a significant amount of time.

Or Slavy will chime in about one weird trick that will make it a 5 minute job.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Ex250 right? There's a drain screw on the water pump, it's a 10mm bolt with a visible copper washer. There is also a drain screw on the front of the barrels, behind the exhaust. Drain them when it's dead cold and upright.

If what comes out is green and not muddy or rusty looking, don't worry about flushing etc, the drain screws will get 95% of it. Be sure to take the fairing off and drain the overflow reservoir as well.

Fill the system to the brim with the bike upright, overfill the reservoir slightly then run it at idle until the radiator level stops going down or it starts to visibly want to overflow and boil up. Give the hoses a bit of a squeeze and stuff to dislodge any trapped air - the ninjette is really good and easy in this respect so don't get too wound up about it. Put the cap on, go for a ride, check reservoir level afterwards. Easy!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yep. That sounds way more bearable than the flush. I’m not even sure the bike needs a flush but I don’t trust the PO to have done anything right. I’ll just replace for now and enjoy the month and change I have left to ride.

Re: power flush — I’m sure you can power flush but that’s probably way out of my league :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 14, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Forgot to mention: coolant will loving rocket out of the drain screw the moment you take the rad cap off. Deflect the stream with cardboard or suffer the pissy consequences.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Don't kink shame me thx.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So I sold my 2015 VFR after 35,000km. Seems I dodged a bullet too, looks like the last place I serviced it (repairs after dropping it in the driveway) kinked the breather for the fuel tank. Guy who sold it for me told me the guy they sold it to came back day later complaining of strong fuel smell. Turns out because the breather was blocked, the tank split from the pressure and released a bunch of fuel.

Yet another reason why I will avoid getting my bike serviced by anyone but myself unless I have to...

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

loaded it up again (with an incredible amount of weed and even MORE spam) before my next 2500mi trip to nashville :D

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

loaded it up again (with an incredible amount of weed and even MORE spam) before my next 2500mi trip to nashville :D

hell yeah

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got my clutch tool so I popped the hub off. Everything else looks to be in pretty good shape.

Because I don't know, though, how do these clutch basket fingers look?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's fine, barely worn at all. Your problem must lay in the release system, or elsewhere.

E: does that basket have springs on the back side?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, they're not broken that I remember but I don't think I can remove them the way the basket is constructed

There's also a sprung damper in the hub, no spec on spring length there

e: Damper springs and basket springs definitely not broken. Everything else looked good. Reassembled the clutch and buttoned it up with new clutch springs and thrust bearing.

The gronk is still there.

I've done about all I can to that side of the clutch. It's hydraulic-operated so I'll address rebuilding the master and slave cylinder later this year.

Also added a 12V/USB port under my seat, just wired right to the battery.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 20, 2019

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
My 2017 Street Twin has had this really annoying fault where all the warning lights would come on about half the time I made a full lock turn to the right. Bike running perfectly and they all went out after a restart.

It’s out of warranty and I’m not the original owner but after fruitlessly searching for what I assume is a wiring fault and reading about a recall this model year had I took it to the local triumph dealer.

They have agreed it’s a manufacturing issue and are replacing the whole wiring loom which I’m pretty happy with as I now assume that’s the hidden reason I managed to pick it up cheaply.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What are the odds that a British bike would have an electrical issue?

(good job on the free wiring harness replacement)

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Topped off my GL1000s oil with automotive synthetic a while back because I was lazy. Changed the oil back out with the appropriate stuff today. Also did the final drive oil, probably for the first time in it’s very destructive life. I had forgotten about the smell of final drive oil. From my time working on RWD Volvos though, I’ll never ever forget the taste.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've heard that there is some concern about the friction modifiers in automotive oil soaking into your clutch plates and being a problem even after you change it back to the proper kind. Idk. Maybe consider replacing those too if they're not too expensive and your clutch is getting old anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Clutch plates on a Goldwing is an engine out job

Just throw a little sand in there for extra frictions

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah if I have to pull the engine... I mean, I’ve done it before on a parts GL1000, I know enough to know I don’t want to have to do it again. 76,000 miles on the original so far though, and a dirty neutral indicator switch making my dash constantly glow green...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Rex, Yesterday: cleaned and waxed the chain and flipped the eccentric tensioner upside down

Then put my big hardcases on, strapped my tent to the top and rode out to my usual BC haunt

Today: hit the good poo poo (New Denver through to Creston, with a ferry in the middle) and rode back to cowtown.

I just barely made the ferry, if I hadn't I'd only be getting in as I post this now. But I did have breakfast on the boat. Never miss a chance to eat on a boat, I say.

Also, I met a duck

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Pretty good weekend. Originally planned the pod lights to turn on with my high beams, and the LED underglow to only be workable off the ACC circuit. Couldn’t crack open my high beam switch, those screws were rusted on. My usual plan for that is to Dremel cut a flat head slot and break the screw or bolt off with the biggest screwdriver I can find. My Dremel remains in Arizona with my ex wife. Ok, go grab my dad’s kit. There’s a post-it inside. “Switch broken, 8-03-2016.”

Who tf does this.

Well never mind. Pod lights are wired into the ACC circuit now off of a relay, and I’ll come back to it. LEDs still come on whenever, they’re direct off the battery. My Oldwing continues to slowly transform into a spacecraft.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I changed the 15T drive sprocket to 16T. On Thursday I'm kicking off a 2200-mile road trip to California and back.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ulf posted:

I changed the 15T drive sprocket to 16T. On Thursday I'm kicking off a 2200-mile road trip to California and back.

On the Zero or Nighthawk?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
On the nighthawk. The Zero only has level 2 charging so longer road trips take a bit long (you spend 50% of the time charging), plus there’s a charger gap in the UT/NV/AZ area.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stuck a pair of cheapo wide angle circular rear view mirrors to my regular mirrors so I can see who's on my rear end more clearly, but was feeling kind of blehh so didn't get a chance to try them on the road :[

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
i bought a cheap motorcycle over the weekend from the original owner

I started to do some thing to it today

oh god, what have i started

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Withnail posted:

i bought a cheap motorcycle over the weekend from the original owner

I started to do some thing to it today

oh god, what have i started

Looks like the front fell off

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I like it much better.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

OctaMurk posted:

Looks like the front fell off

https://youtu.be/3m5qxZm_JqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Revvik posted:

Pretty good weekend. Originally planned the pod lights to turn on with my high beams, and the LED underglow to only be workable off the ACC circuit. Couldn’t crack open my high beam switch, those screws were rusted on. My usual plan for that is to Dremel cut a flat head slot and break the screw or bolt off with the biggest screwdriver I can find. My Dremel remains in Arizona with my ex wife. Ok, go grab my dad’s kit. There’s a post-it inside. “Switch broken, 8-03-2016.”

Who tf does this.

Well never mind. Pod lights are wired into the ACC circuit now off of a relay, and I’ll come back to it. LEDs still come on whenever, they’re direct off the battery. My Oldwing continues to slowly transform into a spacecraft.

I am extremely appreciative of those Vetter bags. They look cool