Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Shield and Absorb Elements will save your life.

Replace Ray of Frost for the best cantrip: Prestidigitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The familiar giving you advantage on an attack roll only applies to something like Acid Arrow right? But not something that would require the enemy to make a save?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

cheesetriangles posted:

The familiar giving you advantage on an attack roll only applies to something like Acid Arrow right? But not something that would require the enemy to make a save?

"When you take the Help action, the creature you aid gains advantage on the next ability check it makes to perform the task you are helping with, provided that it makes the check before the start of your next turn. Alternatively, you can aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5 feet of you. You feint, distract the target, or in some other way team up to make your ally’s Attack more effective. If your ally attacks the target before your next turn, the first Attack roll is made with advantage."

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So yes? Because I'm making an attack roll with something like acid arrow but I'm not for a save spell.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

cheesetriangles posted:

So yes? Because I'm making an attack roll with something like acid arrow but I'm not for a save spell.

Yes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Comprehend Languages meanwhile is rarely going to be particularly relevant -- it may let you get more background or possibly short-circuit a puzzle, but the DM is never going to lock vital information behind unreadable text without giving you some kind of out.

Comprehend Languages is probably going to be fairly useful this campaign. Given it's premise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Anyway I hope you can keep us informed of how the campaign is going, as it looks like a interesting one.

Baldur's Gate Descent also has a cool idea called the parties dark secret. The dark secret is something the whole party was involved in, no matter their backgrounds or relationships, either a conspiracy, theft, murder, or failed coup. The party and DM can randomly determine, or pick details like: which notable NPC knows about the secret, what each party member's role in the crime was, how they got involved, and how it's coming back to haunt them.

The adventure overall looks interesting to me.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway I hope you can keep us informed of how the campaign is going, as it looks like a interesting one.

Baldur's Gate Descent also has a cool idea called the parties dark secret. The dark secret is something the whole party was involved in, no matter their backgrounds or relationships, either a conspiracy, theft, murder, or failed coup. The party and DM can randomly determine, or pick details like: which notable NPC knows about the secret, what each party member's role in the crime was, how they got involved, and how it's coming back to haunt them.

The adventure overall looks interesting to me.

I mean putting together a bonding mechanic out the gate is just good rpg advice in general. I'm interested in the adventure but the wacky races demon cart thing that keeps getting pushed doesn't really sound very interesting or engaging to me. I assume you're going to get it so let me know how big of a part it has to play in the adventure or what it's like overall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

I mean putting together a bonding mechanic out the gate is just good rpg advice in general. I'm interested in the adventure but the wacky races demon cart thing that keeps getting pushed doesn't really sound very interesting or engaging to me. I assume you're going to get it so let me know how big of a part it has to play in the adventure or what it's like overall.

Indeed. I just think the dark secret is interesting, because its outright something bad that the party even if otherwise noble messed up on. While it's been done before and it's not unique, it's something a lot of people don't think of, so it's good to put it out there from the start.

I have seen a bit of the adventure so far, some previews and a flip through. But the Mad Maxing around Hell seems like something that is largely up to the DM and players. They can make it a big part, or a small one.

I can PM you a basic rundown of the adventure from what I have seen if you would like as well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sometime soonish we'll be running Death House and Curse of Strahd. Someone remind me how many levels of Warlock is the most useful before running full tilt into Sorcerer.

Pretty sure it's only 1 or 3 but I can't remember. Fill spellcasting, no melee stuff.

Edit: PHB only, if it matters.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sometime soonish we'll be running Death House and Curse of Strahd. Someone remind me how many levels of Warlock is the most useful before running full tilt into Sorcerer.

Pretty sure it's only 1 or 3 but I can't remember. Fill spellcasting, no melee stuff.

Most people do two Warlock levels just to get Agonizing Blast. Three is fine if you want a pact boon and second-level spell slots.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

3 if you really want Pact of the Chain/Tome. Otherwise you get Agonizing Blast at 2 and are done with the class.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

cheesetriangles posted:

Yes.

Keep in mind Toll the Dead is already pretty good as is, so you could just hand the familiar's Help out to a fellow PC.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

2, but I'd wait until Sorcerer 5 before taking them; getting level 3 spells will do more for you than the increased basic attack damage.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 13, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

tzirean posted:

Most people do two Warlock levels just to get Agonizing Blast. Three is fine if you want a pact boon and second-level spell slots.

mango sentinel posted:

3 if you really want Pact of the Chain/Tome. Otherwise you get Agonizing Blast at 2 and are done with the class.

After looking over things and remembering the Warlock I played years ago, level three makes the most sense. Get me a Quasit and some Devil's Sight/Agonizing Blast. Use those level two slots to power more Metamagic once I get two levels of Sorcerer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
What does Agonising Blast do again?

There's a Warlock pact in my DM's custom setting that comes with sick tattoos and I'm interested.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

There's a Warlock pact in my DM's custom setting that comes with sick tattoos and I'm interested.

+CHA mod to Eldritch Blast damage (per hit).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

thespaceinvader posted:

It adds your Charisma modifier to your eldritch blast damage making it an even better cantrip

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Eh my sorc bloodline does that if I use the right cantrip.

(Sea Sorcerer is interesting)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thespaceinvader posted:

Does your "right cantrip" hit multiple times to make the bonus scale?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

thespaceinvader posted:

Eldritch Blast scales like fighter attacks so you get more attacks, which means more hits, and your Cha bonus on every hit. Other cantrips scale damage but it's all on a single hit or miss, and you only get you Cha bonus once. It's a huge difference.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

mango sentinel posted:

Eldritch Blast scales like fighter attacks so you get more attacks, which means more hits, and your Cha bonus on every hit. Other cantrips scale damage but it's all on a single hit or miss, and you only get you Cha bonus once. It's a huge difference.

Dont forget Hex damage on each of those shots for a beautiful minimum of 2x 1d10+4 + 1d6 at lvl5.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm playing a full warlock and I know sorlock is probably better but... I wanna be a cultist okay so I'm going whole hog on this. Although now that the great old one sorcerer (I don't remember what it was actually called) is out I kinda wish I was one of those because they seem a lot like GOOlocks but better because they get more spells.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Does your "right cantrip" hit multiple times to make the bonus scale?

No, but it also works on non-cantrips of the right damage type so

Call Lightning can potentially get +CHA to damage each time...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

thespaceinvader posted:

No, but it also works on non-cantrips of the right damage type so

Call Lightning can potentially get +CHA to damage each time...

that's not as impressive as the damage you can poo poo out with eldrich blast + AB all day erryday

my sorlock is seriously wild at 17 now. there's a reason people plan whole builds around taking warlock 2 at some point.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"Lucille, Cthulhu gave me a gift. I EB well. I EB very well."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah I know.

It's a prettyu low combat game to be honest, I'm having a lot more fun with utility spells plus metamagic than I have been with damage, to the point that I've very rarely blown my highest-damage stuff at all.

It's an interesting departure from my normal style.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Technically Call Lightning is a Druid-limited spell. The only way you're going to be able to cast it as a Sea Sorcerer is if you're multiclassing or have the Izzet Guild background, which adds the spell to your list (since this comes out of the Ravnica book, this would lock you out of Faerun Adventurers League games, if that matters to anyone). Additionally, the added Curse of the Sea damage is only applied once per turn, even if the spell hits multiple targets, and the curse ends if it isn't applied to a cantrip. So it's an issue even if you are using a similar spell like Storm Sphere or Lightning Surge.

All that being said, the cliche of taking two levels in Warlock just so your character can at-will 4d10+4*CHA force damage out to 120 ft is pretty overdone. Personally I try to avoid taking multiclass dips in the first place; either I commit to at least four levels or I stick it out for a single class. This is less than optimal in many cases, but I'm comfortable with that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 13, 2019

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'm glad 5e is designed for narrative effect and there's no weird rules interactions like "every adventurer sells their soul for 2 levels but doesn't REALLY mean it"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Razorwired posted:

I'm glad 5e is designed for narrative effect and there's no weird rules interactions like "every adventurer sells their soul for 2 levels but doesn't REALLY mean it"

Lol if you think as a DM that Patron won't come a-ringing just because someone only has 2 levels of Warlock.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"I sold my soul to an extradimensional patron, but only two levels worth, so I just have kind of a tired feeling."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*demon, large, on fire* faithful servant, it is time to pay the price of your power
*me, warlock 2/sorcerer 14, snapping fingers irritably* I want to say... Azrael?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Goo warlock/Goo sorcerer but they're different goos and "I travel a lot for work"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I like both of these, but especially the Secret Family Warlock.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mango sentinel posted:

Lol if you think as a DM that Patron won't come a-ringing just because someone only has 2 levels of Warlock.

Taking levels in Warlock doesn't need selling your soul.

It needn't even involve actually interacting with the patron.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Taking two levels in Warlock can sometimes just mean you get a new roommate who is also a sword.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Roleplaying what the voices in your head tell you to do is the best part of playing warlock

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

1st level is exciting

:effort:

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah I know.

It's a prettyu low combat game to be honest, I'm having a lot more fun with utility spells plus metamagic than I have been with damage, to the point that I've very rarely blown my highest-damage stuff at all.

It's an interesting departure from my normal style.

This is perfectly fine and reasonable, especially for a low-combat game. But the beauty (or horror, depending on perspective) of a sorlock is that you can cover very strong damage-dealing with EB and nothing else, requiring the investment of 2-3* levels in Warlock, a cantrip pick and your invocations, and a single metamagic pick (Quicken). You can then dedicate the rest of your spells known and spell slots to whatever you want — buffs, debuffs, control, utility, social — while retaining the ability to poo poo out martial-level damage at will (and force damage is the type with the least resistances/immunities among RAW enemies).

I’ve heard the argument that EB should have been a class feature that scales based on Warlock level. I’m no designer so I don’t know whether or not that would be better, but it would surely mitigate the proliferation of CHA casters with a Warlock dip.

* Since someone asked, 2-3 levels is the “standard” Warlock dip for a sorlock. Re: whether to take that third level, in addition to gaining Pact of Chain/Tome, your Warlock Pact Magic slots bump up to second level at 3. These recover on a short rest, and can be burned for sorcery points, so going to Warlock 3 means you can recover 4 sorcery points per short rest instead of 2. That’s another nice bonus that I hadn’t seen mentioned.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think DMs making warlocks deal with their patron all the time is just as dangerous as paladins getting forced to have situations that rub up on their convictions and oaths all the time. Yeah there's definitely room for interesting roleplay opportunities but I see lots of people giving advice like "why would someone wanna be a warlock if they don't wanna have a patron, DMs have your warlock players get demands from their patrons a lot!" Which putting aside the fact that the book explicitly details cases where you have patrons you might not know about or straight up don't care about you at all, I feel like it's the kind of advice that makes DMs treat their warlock players like "Satan says you need to eat that baby right now or he'll drag your soul to hell right now. Do it. Do it pussy, eat the baby. Doitdoitdoitdoit!" It is every bit as bad as making the paladin be party to torturing a goblin for information or making it so they fall because they killed an orc and unknowingly orphaned the orc's children so now he's party to killing children ergo OATHBREAKER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think the appropriate situation to be an adversarial DM about Warlocks is when it becomes a thing that people keep taking 2 level Warlock dips for Eldritch Blast, a thing that's only possible because the designers stridently adhered to 3E's very bad multiclass rules and that those players are only doing so they can (in most cases) deal even more damage while also playing a caster without having even a hint of an in-character explanation for why their Sorc/Paladin/whatever took a detour in worshiping Hastur.

The underlying rules are adversarial to good design and players doing it are adversarial to anyone in the party who made the foolish decision of not playing a primary caster in Dungeons & Dragons, so I don't feel bad about DMs using it as an excuse to complicate the player character's life.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 13, 2019