Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Syd Midnight posted:

The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them; more men are daily bound down as slaves to tend them, more men are daily devoting the energies of their whole lives to the development of mechanical life. 

God it's so true. The other day I used a messaging app that stripped line breaks etc. so if you formatted your message to entertain human eyes the machine mangled everything and made you look like a complete lunatic.

Why did they do that? Because in software you have to sanitize all your text inputs or else risk damaging your database or something.

But formatting text isn't remotely difficult to solve. You can fix it with one line of code. Which means either the developers weren't really focused on what messages looked like on their app, or else a gauntlet of meetings and proposals determined that mangling text messages was in the best interests of the company.

This means you have to restructure your message so it's aesthetically pleasing and informative within the confines of what the app allows.

We're spending millions of dollars creating these systems that ostensibly facilitate human interaction but actually force people to restructure their interactions in machine-friendly terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
How is that any different than typing before wysiwyg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Plain text doesn’t strip line breaks.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
im loving dead

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Nastier Nate posted:

im loving dead

The clickhole at the bottom is inspired

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Which means either the developers weren't really focused on what messages looked like on their app, or else a gauntlet of meetings and proposals determined that mangling text messages was in the best interests of the company.

i guarantee you it's the first one

as soon as they could get a few random words to go through, they hit the "ship it" button, and never even considered testing line breaks because the idea that anyone might want it never crossed their minds

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Breakfast All Day posted:

nice try, but my dick is licensed under creative commons share alike

and yet it has no users

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Must be because of the open sores.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Must be because of the open sores.

or the black hat

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Crashes on launch, long reload times. One star.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/SimonovCarbine/status/1171825224209326082

apparently not a joke

https://gurugamer.com/esports/prince-of-saudi-turned-out-to-be-a-big-dota2-fan-3074

his steam profile

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Archangel_Yuji/

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

shame we never found bin ladens steam profile

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

didnt i read someplace that kim jong un has a steam profile?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ah he's probably dead already

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_bin_Abdulaziz_bin_Salman_Al_Saud#Arrest

RIP

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Not to be a killjoy or anything but the Gurugamer link I've seen people share doesn't really prove anything, it just asserts that it's been previously proven who the account belongs to without any evidence.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's confirmed that bin laden was an avid player of pirated DS games, including New Super Mario Bros. and Animal Crossing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's like that time people found Assad's itunes account. Even horrible monsters can have normal human hobbies.

We're lucky nobody ever went through Hitler's book collection or whatever.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SlothfulCobra posted:

War and Peace, but Book 4 is missing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The theory is that it's his kid's account, Junior's got the same name as Dad but isn't currently held in (an admittedly very cushy) prison and is also 15 so it makes sense he plays thousands of hours of DOTA

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

War and Peace, but Book 4 is missing.

David Stahel wrote a book on Barbarossa where he mentions in passing that there's evidence that none of the people involved in planning had actually read accounts of Napoleon in Russia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hitler loved dogs and was a big environmentalist iirc

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

he liked drawing disney characters, so probably would have been a big weeb nowadays

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

mike12345 posted:

he liked drawing disney characters, so probably would have been a big weeb nowadays

Hitler complaining about CalArts style on Twitter.

e: On the bright side he would probably consider John K a degenerate.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
can we take a moment to talk about the amazing documentary, Brazil

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

mike12345 posted:

the holocaust and all of the other blood spilled in WW2 was a part of a secret Nazi occult ritual to make anime real. It ultimately cost hitler the thousand year reich and millions upon millions of lives, including his own, but I’m sure that he’d say it was worth it

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
You joke but this is literally true, just replace "anime" with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's confirmed that bin laden was an avid player of pirated DS games, including New Super Mario Bros. and Animal Crossing

i hope someone in the world had one of his villagers move in and theres an animal neighbor from his town living day to day on someone else's DS :stoked:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

the holocaust and all of the other blood spilled in WW2 was a part of a secret Nazi occult ritual to make anime real. It ultimately cost hitler the thousand year reich and millions upon millions of lives, including his own, but I’m sure that he’d say it was worth it

this implies some wild poo poo about the nature of fullmetal alchemist

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

i hope someone in the world had one of his villagers move in and theres an animal neighbor from his town living day to day on someone else's DS :stoked:

I wanna play OBL's Mario Maker levels

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

autism ZX spectrum posted:

difference is we've had that form of text processing for you know, 40 years, so everyone just expects it to work that way and when it doesnt its like, wow you really went out of your way to handle string input in an archaic way

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BULBASAUR posted:

yes please

i was going to make a joke about some part of the movie that didnt come true but i guess that didnt happen

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

BULBASAUR posted:

a few years back there was a news story that original prints of metropolis were found in brazil and I misunderstood the headline and thought original film of brazil had been found in metropolis. but that's where superman lives and isn't a real city

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

chairface posted:

a few years back there was a news story that original prints of metropolis were found in brazil and I misunderstood the headline and thought original film of brazil had been found in metropolis. but that's where superman lives and isn't a real city

Never underestimate the power of tourist traps: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis,_Illinois

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/froglacroix/status/1172307878805327873

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

SplitSoul posted:

Also bans on face-covering.
A guy in the UK (I wanna say London?) was in the news a while back because he covered his face when he saw the camera. Cops stopped him & asked him to show his face. He said no. Cops arrested him for... Resisting arrest.

Weirdly this never happened when I did it, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the fact that I'm white & the other guy was not. No need for indirectly racist face covering laws when the cops can can already just arrest u for being the wrong colour *taps head*

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

oh at first i thought it was a hot dog dispenser but then i got disappointed

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol, had a job interview with these people for a remote position that looked better than my current gig, and everything went great then at the end they're like "btw, to do this job you need to be in front of a spycam all day, watch this video"

https://vimeo.com/321351784

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

nope nOPE NOPE!!!!!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

"we're bringing the office into your desktop so you can be with the people you work with"

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Being able to look up and see my coworkers is priceless :downs: