Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Hirayuki posted:

Left-turn-only lanes are also not on-ramps. Do not pull out of a driveway into that middle lane and drive down it with your turn signal on (or not), trying to merge into a non-turn lane. People will move into that turn lane to, you know, turn. (Stopping in the middle lane waiting to merge is also uncool, but I'll give it a pass if traffic is horrendous and you don't stay there for long.)

Usually there are laws about that, like here you can't drive in a middle turn lane for more than 200 feet without turning or merging, but people definitely abuse it.

There should be a service like Uber but for law enforcement where you just get deputized, get a ticket book and a siren and you can use your own vehicle to enforce the law. I could crank out like 10 tickets each way to and from work every single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Usually there are laws about that, like here you can't drive in a middle turn lane for more than 200 feet without turning or merging, but people definitely abuse it.
Apparently it's entirely illegal in my state to use that middle lane for passing or merging if it's marked for left turns only--and I suspect they all are around here.

There should be a service like Uber but for law enforcement where you just get deputized, get a ticket book and a siren and you can use your own vehicle to enforce the law. I could crank out like 10 tickets each way to and from work every single day.
Yes: this, please.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fascism isn't cool

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Fascism isn't cool

I think we could dabble in it just a little as long as we kept it only to traffic violations.

We live in a society, after all.

(in case it's not clear, I was being hyperbolic. I do think it would be an interesting in an ideal world where people aren't dishonest and wouldn't try and exploit the system for anything except what it is designed to be, but that's obviously not the world we live in. Still, seeing people blatantly violate traffic law in very dangerous ways every day with no consequence yet you get scooped up for keeping up with the flow of traffic at the end of the month is very frustrating).

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Sep 13, 2019

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Helith posted:

I do sort of have some sympathy here. I grew up in the UK where we use a weird mix of metric and imperial so I’m comfortable with both.
However that said I now live in Australia which is completely metric and the one thing I can’t wrap my head around is measuring my weight in kilos. I’ve always used stones and pounds. I can intuitively understand where my weight falls on the scale of underweight to obese using stones but I don’t have any bearings on where my weight in kilos falls on that scale. It’s taken some years to adjust, but adjust you do.
Still, America should join the rest of the world in using metric , make life easier for everyone so we can stop having to translate everything for you. That’s a pet peeve, having to look up wtf a Celsius temp is in Fahrenheit just so the whole room can join in the weather talk.

im all for metric everything but celsius. ill die on the farenheit hill. its better for the temperatures humans live with. 2 degrees is an insane amount of change in celsius makes it hard to effectively heat or cool your home.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

snergle posted:

celsius makes it hard to effectively heat or cool your home.

It really doesn't.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

snergle posted:

im all for metric everything but celsius. ill die on the farenheit hill. its better for the temperatures humans live with. 2 degrees is an insane amount of change in celsius makes it hard to effectively heat or cool your home.

this is accurate

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

snergle posted:

It's 3.6 which is not an insane number or hard to figure out. Just change the thermostat by less.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you find it difficult to effectively heat or cool your home using Celsius I suggest getting professional help because there is clearly something wrong with you

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Why would you measure your weight in "stones" like a caveman

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Fascism isn't cool

The uniforms were.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There are two types of countries: those that use the metric system and those that have put a loving man on the moon holy poo poo can you believe the goddamn moon

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

snergle posted:

Okay, but now imagine your thermostat allows setting half degrees in Celsius. Suddenly there's no reason to use Fahrenheit for anything ever!!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fahrenheit is stupid as gently caress and that's the long and short of it. There's no excuse for keeping that system.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oldpainless posted:

There are two types of countries: those that use the metric system and those that have put a loving man on the moon holy poo poo can you believe the goddamn moon

:lol: when was the last time we put a loving man on the moon? 1972, that's 47 years ago, sorry this doesn't fly anymore.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Fahrenheit is stupid as gently caress and that's the long and short of it. There's no excuse for keeping that system.

How about spite? It annoys a LOT of people so it must be actually good, right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

How about spite? It annoys a LOT of people so it must be actually good, right?

That's a very boomer attitude

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't get why it matters which one is used, it's the same thing on different scales. It's not like cups and quarts or something where you have to remember bullshit conversion factors.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

That's a very boomer attitude

It's kind of tongue in cheek but it's probably exactly why it will never happen in reality. People generally don't like being browbeaten into doing things differently, especially in a condescending way.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I don't get why it matters which one is used, it's the same thing on different scales. It's not like cups and quarts or something where you have to remember bullshit conversion factors.

It's worse than cups and quarts because, not only is a Celsius degree equal to 1.8 Fahrenheit degrees, 0 Celsius is not the same temperature as 0 Fahrenheit

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Winter Stormer posted:

It's worse than cups and quarts because, not only is a Celsius degree equal to 1.8 Fahrenheit degrees, 0 Celsius is not the same temperature as 0 Fahrenheit

Pfft how can two zeroes not be equal, learn to math duder

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It's kind of tongue in cheek but it's probably exactly why it will never happen in reality. People generally don't like being browbeaten into doing things differently, especially in a condescending way.

this must be why no matter how many times I say "bitches be shoppin'" they absolutely refuse to stop shoppin'

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate the phrase "tongue in cheek". It brings to mind a gory image of a tongue somehow physically fused or stuck through a cheek.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The fact there is no consistent size for a tablespoon is poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The cups and teaspoons poo poo is sexist too. It's designed with the assumption that housewives can't measure things in rational units.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kelvin bitches

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shibawanko posted:

I hate the phrase "tongue in cheek". It brings to mind a gory image of a tongue somehow physically fused or stuck through a cheek.

Tongue FIRMLY in cheek is even worse

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

I hate it too but there's not really a better short way of saying "this statement does not 100% accurately reflect my own beliefs and i'm only being semi-serious"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hate it too but there's not really a better short way of saying "this statement does not 100% accurately reflect my own beliefs and i'm only being semi-serious"

j/k

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Winter Stormer posted:

I meant for just using one or the other, not converting between the two. There aren't any arbitrary smaller units that require you to remember that 5 degrees are equivalent to 14 donkeydegrees or anything.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

User reviews on eBay/Amazon/Wish/Ali that are just:
"Arrived early and not visibly damaged. Have not tried it yet. Five Stars"

That's not a review of the product it's a review of your postal service and I can't fathom what sort of person thinks this might be at all helpful.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Never owned one of these and never will, but it's made in Switzerland. One star

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's not a review of the product it's a review of your postal service and I can't fathom what sort of person thinks this might be at all helpful.

It's helpful when a site (aliexpress, ebay) gamifies review to the point where leaving anything is more important than anything else.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

similar theme: recipe reviews.

We've covered the long family story/references to 9/11 novels prior to the recipe, but the reviews are just as annoying if not moreso. They give you information, but not the information you need. The recipe might say it needs 2 eggs, 4 cups of flour, green beans, corn and vanilla and almost all the reviews are like "I didn't have eggs so I used milk, and I used a completely different kind of flour, couldn't find green beans so I substituted sausage, my son HATES corn so I switched that for pumpkin, and instead of vanilla I poured half a bottle of bourbon in. Totally delicious! It was a hit at my office party, 5 stars!!!".

am I the weird one for trying to actually follow the recipe?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

We've covered the long family story/references to 9/11 novels prior to the recipe, but the reviews are just as annoying if not moreso. They give you information, but not the information you need. The recipe might say it needs 2 eggs, 4 cups of flour, green beans, corn and vanilla and almost all the reviews are like "I didn't have eggs so I used milk, and I used a completely different kind of flour, couldn't find green beans so I substituted sausage, my son HATES corn so I switched that for pumpkin, and instead of vanilla I poured half a bottle of bourbon in. Totally delicious! It was a hit at my office party, 5 stars!!!".

Yes, recipes are for chumps. Just dump a pile of poo poo into a bowl add heat, and hope that it doesn't come out labeled as "dubious food"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Yes, recipes are for chumps. Just dump a pile of poo poo on the floor and eat it off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo, and hope that it doesn't come out labeled as "dubious food"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I find those useful. Substitutions are a useful thing to know, and there are plenty of recipes (eg stir frys, casseroles, some pasta sauces, etc) where there is a lot of room to experiment.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Yes, recipes are for chumps. Just dump a pile of poo poo into a bowl add heat, and hope that it doesn't come out labeled as "dubious food"

Love me some spicy stewed fruit

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I find those useful. Substitutions are a useful thing to know, and there are plenty of recipes (eg stir frys, casseroles, some pasta sauces, etc) where there is a lot of room to experiment.

Yeah, the only ones I don't like are the ones who give bad reviews after substituting sulphuric acid for vegetable oil or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a line where a substitution fundamentally alters it to the point that it's an entirely different thing and the review becomes irrelevant. I'm not talking about subbing in skim milk for whole or using a little extra spice etc.