Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
cross posting from 'help us identify a game' thread, since we're stumped for once:

There was a game I used to play a couple of years back, probably on android or maybe PC (though I doubt it). I think it was recommended to me here on something awful, so I hope someone recognises my description.

"It was a simulator /management game where you controlled a medieval era mercenary company, similar to the strategic layer of xcom or football manager or the diamond dogs parts of MGS5. You hired different types of units like sappers or cavalry to form squads that you sent on different kinds of missions to earn more money, hire better troops and so on. I remember it was all done through menus and had a very brown colour pallet, and I think the name was something Company or Company of something."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

edit: nvm

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I played that, it was a Facebook game and there was a SA banner ad for it I think. Can’t remember the name but something like The Company sounds about right.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tias posted:

cross posting from 'help us identify a game' thread, since we're stumped for once:

There was a game I used to play a couple of years back, probably on android or maybe PC (though I doubt it). I think it was recommended to me here on something awful, so I hope someone recognises my description.

"It was a simulator /management game where you controlled a medieval era mercenary company, similar to the strategic layer of xcom or football manager or the diamond dogs parts of MGS5. You hired different types of units like sappers or cavalry to form squads that you sent on different kinds of missions to earn more money, hire better troops and so on. I remember it was all done through menus and had a very brown colour pallet, and I think the name was something Company or Company of something."

You mean Battle Brothers?

It’s available on steam.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Tias posted:

dunno but that sounds dope

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ZombieLenin posted:

You mean Battle Brothers?

It’s available on steam.

We'd already eliminated Battle Brothers in the other thread. Also Battle Brothers doesn't really have those dispatch missions as described.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Zaodai posted:

We'd already eliminated Battle Brothers in the other thread. Also Battle Brothers doesn't really have those dispatch missions as described.

It sounds a bit like the really old school Warhammer Fantasy game Shadow of the Horned Rat too.

I have no idea if it was ever ported to mobile, or whether or not a successor game was made though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that sounds like Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

gradenko_2000 posted:

that sounds like Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance

A couple of years back would mean 2015-2017, not the nineties, but neat suggestion! Please keep 'em coming.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Tias posted:

A couple of years back would mean 2015-2017, not the nineties, but neat suggestion! Please keep 'em coming.

I'm just going to repeat myself with more evidence this time:

Here's an archived thread for a game called The Company. It was a Facebook game so it's long gone by now but I remember it fitting your description exactly. Menu based, brown and the gameplay was mostly organizing your dudes into squads and sending them to do things.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shadow Watch from Red Storm Entertainment?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Obfuscation posted:

I'm just going to repeat myself with more evidence this time:

Here's an archived thread for a game called The Company. It was a Facebook game so it's long gone by now but I remember it fitting your description exactly. Menu based, brown and the gameplay was mostly organizing your dudes into squads and sending them to do things.

I'm enjoying everyone ignoring you despite you obviously having the right answer.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I would not recommend Theater Commander : The Coming Wars.

I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but it doesn't seem to do it at all. The above screenshot is the nicest I could get the map to look, otherwise it's just horizontal lines.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Tias posted:

No, I realize, but I am also vaguely aware there have been a number of tactical Games Workshop/Warhammer title for mobile over the last 5 or 6 years.

I guess I was thinking maybe one of them was a remake/sexual/successor to that title.

Alchenar posted:

I'm enjoying everyone ignoring you despite you obviously having the right answer.

Not ignoring, I just never played it so I have no reference, and since the OP hasn’t come back to confirm/deny it’s the right answer, I keep throwing poo poo at a wall.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 13, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been looking at TOAW4. Please talk me into/out of it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drone posted:

It's a little confusing to wrap your head around the time/turn system, but it's a fantastic game with nearly infinite replayability.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It's also very nice if you don't like to focus on one conflict or theater, which is typically my problem. The only thing I don't like about it is the UI is frustrating and very outdated, but that's true of almost all Grognard games tbh.

The whole thing with tuns being divided into slices of time is a PITA at first, but once you understand it it's not too bad.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

wilderthanmild posted:

The whole thing with tuns being divided into slices of time is a PITA at first, but once you understand it it's not too bad.

Is the turn system sort of like Flashpoint Campaigns or something?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

I wrote a tutorial on how to play:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11GMVwu9JQNDuQakTIE_K-E4x0-6uvvWn/view?usp=drivesdk

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It's a really good tutorial.

The game can be good but some of the scenarios are better than others. I'm doing the Fulda 55 scenario and it's just the right size. Some of the monster scenarios push the boundary too much. Between a Tiller game or this, I'd take this. JTS stuff wows for the size and detail, but TOAW seems to be what I actually end up playing.

In other news Command Ops 2 has Steam workshop support and there's actually a couple of good maps/scenarios. Dude named Bie added a D-Day Caen and a Pegasus Bridge scenario. I'm not sure if you can get access to Steam Workshop with the free version of the game, but I don't see why not? The Workshop to Game process is a bit clunky, you need to open a separate window to bring it all in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Late Naval Action trip report: The final (optional) tutorial is so hard that when you pass it the game announces it in Nation Chat and everyone cheers you.

Sailing is still fun, UI acceptable, server population is now stable and full of die-hards who will play forever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You half tempted me to give it another go, but bleh. It will probably just depress me with what it could've been. Someone just make a single-player Sid Meier's Pirates! style game with its naval combat gameplay, tia.

In other Naval Combat News:

"Nick Thomadis, Game Labs Team Admin posted:

Posted Tuesday at 01:58 PM

[Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts] is currently almost ready for the first alpha release, that is going to be playable with pre-order. Our site already includes this info and we will inform when it is going to be release ASAP.

Well, this might be interesting, then again given how sporadic they've been with news who knows how far off this actually is.

https://www.dreadnoughts.ultimateadmiral.com/preorder

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 15, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wish Killerfish Games (Cold Waters) would announce what they're working on next. Atlantic Fleet was good and Cold Waters is fantastic but I'm itching for something new, maybe more surface fleet stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Obviously they should throw their hat into the WW2 Submarines Ring. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hunter-Killer task force management in 1942/43 is a game concept I'd like to have explored, please

which side of the convoy do you place your destroyers on? can you manage with just corvettes because the USN is getting stingy again? what direction do you send out the Wildcats from your jeep carriers? do you zigzag to avoid torps or do you make a run for the safety of Iceland-based Liberator patrols?

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hunter-Killer task force management in 1942/43 is a game concept I'd like to have explored, please

which side of the convoy do you place your destroyers on? can you manage with just corvettes because the USN is getting stingy again? what direction do you send out the Wildcats from your jeep carriers? do you zigzag to avoid torps or do you make a run for the safety of Iceland-based Liberator patrols?

This is something I really wish Atlantic Fleet would let you do. Few things are more annoying than watching your precious battleship eat two or three torpedoes on the first turn of the battle because all of your DDs spawned on the other side of the convoy. A battleship that I was only able to buy due to the sacrifice of a heavy cruiser, two destroyers and a very, very lucky single torpedo hit on Bismarck.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Zeond posted:

This is something I really wish Atlantic Fleet would let you do. Few things are more annoying than watching your precious battleship eat two or three torpedoes on the first turn of the battle because all of your DDs spawned on the other side of the convoy. A battleship that I was only able to buy due to the sacrifice of a heavy cruiser, two destroyers and a very, very lucky single torpedo hit on Bismarck.

This is why Atlantic Fleet was just a little too groglite for me.

I just wish someone would remake GNBNA and/or Fighting Steel.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm curious about settings with Grognard games. I'm in the process of making one and I'm pretty happy with how my mechanics are shaping up in a basically unthemed map so I want to start work on an actual game with a setting.

Is a historical setting important? Setting never really bothered me at all, so long as it was interesting. Move War in the Pacific to the Caribbean and have UK fight USA, or USA vs Cuba during the space age and I would have been just as interested. I'm also a sample space of one and the war games I've seen are basically all either Warhammer or Historical to some degree. I was hoping some of you would be able to tell me what you look for in a setting for a game. Do you just play Historical because it's what is available? Is it just gameplay you're looking at and anything goes?

Ultimately I want to flex my creativity and do things that are interesting to me, researching battles and facts is not interesting. Maybe not for my first one, but my second game I really want to try an asymmetrical game of pacifist space aged humans fighting against mind controlling parasites who fight with guerilla tactics until each can field an actual army. But if historical games are what people just want I'd do it as Vietnam instead.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

While I think historicity is definitely a draw for a lot of people, hypothetical-but-relatively-plausible-ish scenarios are also great. I think grognards care more about the authenticity of the details (a reasonable order of battle, etc.) than about the authenticity of the events being depicted.

Especially when you consider things like ATG exist and are well-liked. And the large majority of CMANO scenarios are also speculative.

I'd personally love to see a fully-fleshed out alternate history scenario for WITP for example (gimme a Kaiserreich mod), or maybe a "different, but sorta the same" type setting a la the Strangereal from Ace Combat.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lord Windy posted:

I'm curious about settings with Grognard games. I'm in the process of making one and I'm pretty happy with how my mechanics are shaping up in a basically unthemed map so I want to start work on an actual game with a setting.

Is a historical setting important? Setting never really bothered me at all, so long as it was interesting. Move War in the Pacific to the Caribbean and have UK fight USA, or USA vs Cuba during the space age and I would have been just as interested. I'm also a sample space of one and the war games I've seen are basically all either Warhammer or Historical to some degree. I was hoping some of you would be able to tell me what you look for in a setting for a game. Do you just play Historical because it's what is available? Is it just gameplay you're looking at and anything goes?

Ultimately I want to flex my creativity and do things that are interesting to me, researching battles and facts is not interesting. Maybe not for my first one, but my second game I really want to try an asymmetrical game of pacifist space aged humans fighting against mind controlling parasites who fight with guerilla tactics until each can field an actual army. But if historical games are what people just want I'd do it as Vietnam instead.

Alternate histories are fine, but they lose out on the chance to compare yourself to real events, which some people like. And planning out an alternate history to the same depth and sophistication as real history (if that’s the plan) is going to mean a ton of work in itself.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's best when settings and mechanics work together. I've preferred games that have unique mechanics that express something about a setting than mechanics that can let you fight as Romans as readily as NATO.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

This is an interesting point. Setting is definitely important to me - and I often find there's a kind of feedback loop where a game motivates me to learn more about a certain period/battle/war, which then draws me further into the game, which inspires more research, and so on. This is how I went from browsing WITP LPs to creating my own wargame set in the Pacific and planning to hike the Kokoda track. I've always enjoyed learning more about history and think wargames offer a unique and engaging way to do that.

The flip side of this is that I'll generally ignore games in a setting which doesn't interest me. Never really got into games set in ancient Rome, for example, despite the fact that there are probably some great games set in that period.

Ultimately though the most important thing is to make games you want to play... If you aren't interested in researching orders of battle, statistics, etc. it's probably not worth doing. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a big, under-served audience out there looking for wargames in a unique non-historical settings.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So is there like no actual audience in general for a full on grog game but one that has a sensical UI and a somewhat decent'ish AI? Full on details is great (you want to have a comprehensive game of the Eastern Front in WW2 down to the squad loadouts, awesome) that does not seem like you're doing a 90's style flowchart breakdown and the tactical/strategic end of things is moderately challenging?

Or is that really not something that can be done without making it 'lite' style? I would love some hyper dense grog games that are not a.. Well, insanely steep learning curve to figure out the UI.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You could make a full grog game with excellent UI
and good AI, but you'd only legally be allowed to release it on a tiny homebrew webstore, and you'd have to charge for patches. Cheques only, please, and your one-time activation code will be with you within 20 working days.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

wedgekree posted:

So is there like no actual audience in general for a full on grog game but one that has a sensical UI and a somewhat decent'ish AI? Full on details is great (you want to have a comprehensive game of the Eastern Front in WW2 down to the squad loadouts, awesome) that does not seem like you're doing a 90's style flowchart breakdown and the tactical/strategic end of things is moderately challenging?

Or is that really not something that can be done without making it 'lite' style? I would love some hyper dense grog games that are not a.. Well, insanely steep learning curve to figure out the UI.

The main problem is that full on detail makes a game harder for an AI to play, and many of the things detail adds are not problems of UI but of game design itself.

There's no UI that's going to make WitP a sane game. There's also no UI where moving around regiments on the Eastern front is going to be not tedious while you have full control.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think theres a definitional issue here. For me, grognard games are a niche corner of the strategy genre that happen to have common traits, some of which might be necessary and some of which might not. For historical games industry reasons devs of grognard games have spent 20 years diverging and not really paying attention to what the rest of the industry has been doing, which is why even best in class games have UIs that come from Windows 95. That's one example, but theres a host of things grognard devs do because that's what they do but it doesnt define a grognard game.

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock is a good example of how if a game is actually comfortable to play then it stops being grognard and magically becomes strategy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

I think theres a definitional issue here. For me, grognard games are a niche corner of the strategy genre that happen to have common traits, some of which might be necessary and some of which might not. For historical games industry reasons devs of grognard games have spent 20 years diverging and not really paying attention to what the rest of the industry has been doing, which is why even best in class games have UIs that come from Windows 95. That's one example, but theres a host of things grognard devs do because that's what they do but it doesnt define a grognard game.

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock is a good example of how if a game is actually comfortable to play then it stops being grognard and magically becomes strategy.

I do think that there are games where a better, more informative UI would be a big help- for example, Field of Glory II does a very poor job of explaining capabilities at a glance- for example, learning how pike phalanx units work is really important to being able to beat them(you need to wear down the unit to knock off the rear rank to take the deep pike bonus down to something manageable), but the only way to learn that easily is to watch youtube videos.

I mean, a lot of modern UI is having less need for buttons. I'm not really sure what an improvement to, say, WitP's UI would be, given its massive level of complexity and need for all these buttons.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Theme is important, but I've come to enjoy games that are thematic but still open to expansion. TOAW, CMANO, even Dwarf Fortress. I can only see Barbarossa kick off so many times, or invade Normandy so often. I'm not sure I could get into a game where there was orange cubes fighting brown cubes over a map I knew nothing of. Spiderweb games (maker of crappy RPG's) made a game set in pre-Roman England or some such era and it sold like poo poo, but if you add goblins, dwarves, and elves, people eat it up. It's nice to slide into a familiar battlescape and re-enact a bit of history, but it's also cool to see some dude mod in some obscure battle from 1944.

Look at the Baseball/Hockey/Soccer Manager games, hard to get much groggier then that. If you made a "Battalion Troop Management" game in that same vein an embarrassing amount of us would buy it and love it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

To me, if the game's not historical or in a clearly defined and well known setting, it takes longer to understand just what I'm doing. If you took all the the Vietnam out of Vietnam '65 and made it space aliens against humans, I'd still be interested, but I wouldn't understand it quite so implicitly.

I know what a Spitfire can do in combat. I know roughly what kind of damage the Enterprise (the aircraft carrier or the various spaceships) can do. I know what a Battlestar is meant to do. But if you take the Deadlock dev's previous game, Star Hammer, will you so readily understand the capabilities of their generic starships, and the enemy's generic starships?

However, that also introduces a problem. If things don't work as per the player's understanding of the setting - if you give a TIE Fighter shields (:argh: Battlefront!) - then you run the risk of angering those players.

Personally, I'm much more of a fan of games that convey the setting through their mechanics, rather than games that adhere to full accuracy to their source material. Give me Churchill over Campaign for North Africa, or to a lesser extent, DC:B over WitE (though I don't think DC:B does quite enough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To me, if the game's not historical or in a clearly defined and well known setting, it takes longer to understand just what I'm doing. If you took all the the Vietnam out of Vietnam '65 and made it space aliens against humans, I'd still be interested, but I wouldn't understand it quite so implicitly.

Yeah, I relate a lot to this. The value of keeping something historically grounded and :airquote: realistic :airquote: is so that, if you have a background understanding of the tactics / operational strategy / grand strategy involved with any given historical situation, you can draw on that understanding to inform your planning and actions, and the learning curve of the game, so to speak, only extends to wrestling with the controls.

To wit, the reason why it's important to have the blitzkrieg of June 1941 "feel" right, even if you have to throw-in a bunch of arbitrary modifiers to get there, is so that a German player doesn't have to re-learn how to conduct armored warfare across two games both covering Barbarossa.