Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fist4jesus posted:

I regularly use a floor sander on my feet.

You'll never guess what a shop vac can be used for.

as a house vac! :haw:

e: god drat sight gag at the top of a page again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

team fortress 2?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

A lot of things work in ways they weren't intended to

Screwdrivers can be chisels, angle grinders can be nail files, small trucks can be big trucks and retroencabulators can be turboencabulators.

Still haven't found a use for reployers though.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Battery powered leaf blowers work great as a broom if you have tile floors and a lot of pets. Just blow all that hair and dirt out of the front door. Also great for getting your fire pit burning hotter than the flames of hell.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Powershift posted:

You'll never guess what a shop vac can be used for.

as a house vac! :haw:

e: god drat sight gag at the top of a page again

Someone in a PYF Bachelor poo poo thread used one to suck the contents out of a taint boil once :vomarine:

e: nm, it was a Hoover Wind tunnel “since someone would ask”

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 13, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Someone in a PYF Bachelor poo poo thread used one to suck the contents out of a taint boil once :vomarine:

e: nm, it was a Hoover Wind tunnel “since someone would ask”

Glad you clarified that one.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Applesnots posted:

Battery powered leaf blowers work great as a broom if you have tile floors and a lot of pets. Just blow all that hair and dirt out of the front door. Also great for getting your fire pit burning hotter than the flames of hell.
Leaf blowers do pretty well as gutter cleaners and for removal of light snow cover.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Leaf blowers do pretty well as gutter cleaners and for removal of light snow cover.

I had a gas one with an long upside down kinda snorkel thing to blow out the gutters, It worked pretty good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I've used my aircompressor to clean mine a few times. Worked ok.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think anyone's mentioned the pigeon-guided bomb yet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

drat, you beat me to it. Crazy part is it loving worked but the government just preferred computers, so they scrapped the project.

Pigeons have great vision and you can teach them some pretty precise visual tasks. One lab had them detecting cancer

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Why build a machine to act as a neural network when you can just go out and catch one?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Jabor posted:

Why build a machine to act as a neural network when you can just go out and catch one?

Where do you live that you can go out and just catch machines?

Around here they're all pretty quick

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Evilreaver posted:

Where do you live that you can go out and just catch machines?

Around here they're all pretty quick

Depends on what you need to catch. For instance, an arm with a long loose sleeve is a great way to bait a lathe trap. Just put that poo poo down somewhere in the bad end of town and wait for the screams.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Is that the part of town where all the tools hang out? :suicide:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

This reminded me of the most OSHA.jpg job I ever had. Doing IT and project stuff for a UXO/mine-clearance and training organisation in East Africa. I was also the only guy with, and who could use, a DSLR.

One day we took our UXO/Mine teams in training to a provincial army base because they had collected an amount of ordnance for disposal.

"Where is the plastic explosive?"
"We don't have any, we only have this stuff"
"Is it in date?"
"Probably not, they've been keeping it in that roasting hot corrugated tin shed over there with the paint and oily rags."

A couple of mortars of gently caress-knows provenance.

They were put in a hole with a decent chunk of the explosive and we pressed the button from a hundred meters or so back, in a trench. I caught the moment as I pulled the shutter on this one.

It was a massive thump. This fuse hit the back of the trench near me at about Mach gently caress You. I wish I could have kept it as a keepsake but gently caress taking mortar parts through airports in the early to mid 2000s.

Unfortunately it turned out that the explosive had more bark than bite, and the two mortars remained intact. Worse, they were now hot and angry. I snapped this pic, as I'd already walked up with the guys, and then we all pretty much ran straight back to the trench.

We all mucked in and started kneading all of the remaining explosive we had into two fat baked potato lumps as the mortars cooled off. After some time one of guys went out alone and very carefully placed the new charges. He's a veteran of Kosovo and I never saw him more terrified.

Second go was very much successful. Shrapnel sounds weird. Anyway that's my story.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ReelBigLizard posted:

This reminded me of the most OSHA.jpg job I ever had. Doing IT and project stuff for a UXO/mine-clearance and training organisation in East Africa. I was also the only guy with, and who could use, a DSLR.

Dear Lord.

Unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc88JoHx-kY

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Some strong "an SD card was recovered from the scene, this is the last image saved" vibes here.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

My grandfather grew up in rural Poland between the World Wars. Finding WW1 shells was apparently quite common for them.

Their way of clearing UXO was to leave it where it was, but clear the ground around it and build a wooden platform around/on top of it. Then build a giant bonfire on said platform, get it started, then run away. The fire then burns through the platform, which collapses and lets the fire/embers fall on to the UXO, which then explodes.

Seems like an ingenious way of doing it to me. Not exactly the safest, but a hell of a lot safer than moving it/hoping for the best.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

St_Ides posted:

Seems like an ingenious way of doing it to me. Not exactly the safest, but a hell of a lot safer than moving it/hoping for the best.

It's not the worst way, probably the worst case is similar to the above though - It doesn't work and now you have a device in an even more potentially dangerous condition.

Speaking of the worst way, we had a report come in to the mine action co-ordination group while I was back in the capital one day. Some guys who ran a bicycle repair shop had found a downed helicopter gunship in the bush and relieved it of a load of ~30mm cannon shells. They were pulling the projectiles, heating them up and then using a hammer and chisel to pop the copper driving bands off to use for brazing. Apparently they had been doing it for weeks before the inevitable happened. I was glad we didn't attend the scene.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Wouldn't the bonfire method just create flaming shrapnel everywhere? Bombs gone, now we just need to deal with this uncontrollable forest fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Did the death of Joana Sainz Garcia get posted? She was a Spanish performer killed two weeks ago in a pyrotechnic accident on stage.

quote:

A pyrotechnic on the stage misfired and shot shards of its metal casing into Garcia’s stomach. According to a group promoter who spoke with the press, “no one could explain what happened.”

The spokesperson said they’ve been doing the same act for over five years. More than 2,000 cartridges of the type that exploded had been used in previous performances, with no issues.

The fireworks used in the show are like sparklers and are supposed to last around 20 seconds. The manufacturer of the sparklers may have filled the pyrotechnic with the wrong material. The error may have caused the device’s metal casing to explode outward.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

ReelBigLizard posted:

Depending on how much of the booster was chopped off, you might have been holding the angriest part of that munition in that photo:

What kind of PPE were you wearing for this? You were definitely in the danger zone for fragmenting munitions, and having multiple people go downrange to check the aftermath of a shot is a pretty big no-no in the UXO disposal world.

Also the red stuff looks like Semtex, which isn't that far off from C-4 and typically stays good for a few decades.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ChickenHeart posted:

Depending on how much of the booster was chopped off, you might have been holding the angriest part of that munition in that photo:

What kind of PPE were you wearing for this? You were definitely in the danger zone for fragmenting munitions, and having multiple people go downrange to check the aftermath of a shot is a pretty big no-no in the UXO disposal world.

Also the red stuff looks like Semtex, which isn't that far off from C-4 and typically stays good for a few decades.

It was hollow, just the bakelite part. Otherwise I wouldn't have hosed with it.

I was in a suit/helmet/plate combo thing. It was hot, heavy and disgustingly sweaty.

The red stuff wasn't semtex, certainly not brand name, and it was seriously old.

E:

quote:

a pretty big no-no in the UXO disposal world

And yeah, that's why it's in thread.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 13, 2019

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Burning_Monk posted:

Wouldn't the bonfire method just create flaming shrapnel everywhere? Bombs gone, now we just need to deal with this uncontrollable forest fire.

Exploding stuff is pretty good at starting fires in the first place, and any professional setup would take fire prevention into consideration regardless of whether burning is involved or not (in a permissive environment; safety may occasionally take a backseat to timeliness in a warzone).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Dealing with Mine disposal/IED disposal/Iron Harvest disposal must make pants making GBS threads a regular occurance I would assume.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

ReelBigLizard posted:

The red stuff wasn't semtex, certainly not brand name, and it was seriously old.

Well, that just means it has more experience (also please tell me that stuff was at least sealed in that wax paper packaging)

Croatoan posted:

Dealing with Mine disposal/IED disposal/Iron Harvest disposal must make pants making GBS threads a regular occurance I would assume.

Initially I would get pretty anxious when handling explosives, but once you start building up your knowledge of how explosives function and how to best protect yourself against known and unknown hazards (and of course constant, unending training), the nervousness just turned into a healthy respect for stuff that can rupture your lungs/plant the baseplate from a tank round inside your chest cavity. Safety and situational awareness are drilled into your head from day one.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ChickenHeart posted:

Safety and situational awareness are drilled into your head from day one.

Presumably more enjoyable than the list of alternative things which can get drilled into your head (although that probably only once)?

:shrug:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Schadenboner posted:

Presumably more enjoyable than the list of alternative things which can get drilled into your head (although that probably only once)?

:shrug:

Actually I would have preferred if they used something other than the spade drill bit

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYunaBkn9Ng

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's not the worst way, probably the worst case is similar to the above though - It doesn't work and now you have a device in an even more potentially dangerous condition.

Speaking of the worst way, we had a report come in to the mine action co-ordination group while I was back in the capital one day. Some guys who ran a bicycle repair shop had found a downed helicopter gunship in the bush and relieved it of a load of ~30mm cannon shells. They were pulling the projectiles, heating them up and then using a hammer and chisel to pop the copper driving bands off to use for brazing. Apparently they had been doing it for weeks before the inevitable happened. I was glad we didn't attend the scene.

ChickenHeart posted:

Initially I would get pretty anxious when handling explosives, but once you start building up your knowledge of how explosives function and how to best protect yourself against known and unknown hazards (and of course constant, unending training), the nervousness just turned into a healthy respect for stuff that can rupture your lungs/plant the baseplate from a tank round inside your chest cavity. Safety and situational awareness are drilled into your head from day one.

I find stories of stuff like this fascinating.

Please share lots more.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I have no FIRSTHAND UXO experience, thankfully, but I work on a military base that has been used as a test range for a very, very long time and UXO awareness training is mandatory. From that, I have the two supposedly true stories.

In the first story, they told us about a worker on base who was mowing a field and happened to find some mortar rounds. He did the right thing and called the base UXO people. Then he did the absolutely wrong thing and put the mortar rounds onto the his lawn mower so he could drive them back and have them ready when the UXO group arrived. When the trainer telling us the story got there with the rest of the group, he found a crowd gathered around the guy's still running lawnmower in a parking lot, rubbernecking.

The second story is even more horrifying, and honestly sounds like bullshit. However, I've heard it multiple times at multiple trainings, and the base did used to handle the type of ordnance in question.

The base is huge, and not all of it is in use in any given decade. As such, recreational hunting is permitted with a permit (and outside of the restricted areas.) One day a hunter, who worked on base and should have known better, found an artillery shell. He thought it was expended, and took it home as a neat souvenir. His wife took one look at it and told him not in her house before calling the police. The police contacted the base UXO group, and they determined the shell was not only live, but an unexploded chemical munition. The entire neighborhood was promptly evacuated while the shell was carefully removed and disposed of.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shut up Meg posted:

I find stories of stuff like this fascinating.

Please share lots more.

Same, could prob be it’s own gbs thread to draw folks in that are scared of this megathread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

50 Foot Ant's stories about working with ordnance storage in West Germany are widely believed to be bullshit but I still like them. He told one of an impatient NCO wanting to get sweating explosives out of a bunker faster, so he just loaded up a forklift with crates and took off down the road. At the perfect moment for comedic timing he hit a pothole and blew up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, 50 Foot Ant was a hell of a storyteller. That set would make a hell of a novel.

In actual OSHA news, one of my team's SOPs for working in the labs is, "if you hear glass breaking, run for the door." Well, I got to update it this summer to include "if you hear a loud noise and 'oh poo poo!' from a researcher, run for it."

I was in the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance lab to get a vendor-supplied PC on the domain. I had just finished when I heard a really loud WHOOSH and a scientist shouting 'oh poo poo!'. I grabbed my stuff and beat him to the door.

This is what tens of thousands of dollars of liquid helium boiling off looks like.

https://i.imgur.com/me56bVk.mp4

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 13, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

chitoryu12 posted:

50 Foot Ant's stories about working with ordnance storage in West Germany are widely believed to be bullshit but I still like them. He told one of an impatient NCO wanting to get sweating explosives out of a bunker faster, so he just loaded up a forklift with crates and took off down the road. At the perfect moment for comedic timing he hit a pothole and blew up.

Was he the one that was in that haunted base?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think that was Humper Monkey, but they were related somehow.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Was he the one that was in that haunted base?

here's a little reading

http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

have fun

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mllaneza posted:

This is what tens of thousands of dollars of liquid helium boiling off looks like.

Some say that researchers in that lab still sound a little funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, 50 Foot Ant was a hell of a storyteller. That set would make a hell of a novel.

In actual OSHA news, one of my team's SOPs for working in the labs is, "if you hear glass breaking, run for the door." Well, I got to update it this summer to include "if you hear a loud noise and 'oh poo poo!' from a researcher, run for it."

I was in the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance lab to get a vendor-supplied PC on the domain. I had just finished when I heard a really loud WHOOSH and a scientist shouting 'oh poo poo!'. I grabbed my stuff and beat him to the door.

Oh nice, the assisted suicide room, I need one of those.