Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

The other 50 is for things staying the same. Can't be too prudent in your predictions.

This is liberalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1172248393596526592

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

no way

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

im dead

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HEY GUNS posted:

you joke but this is about as peaceful and drama free as anything has ever been

i include the world from 1946 to 2001 in this "everything"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ah yes, the poor and wretched workers like...

*checks notes*

every Hollywood star, TV news anchor and professional athlete in the country

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tulip posted:

What's the DEAL with observational humor?

the deal is that seinfeld got his start in the late 70's and his stuff was actually pretty groundbreaking at the time. it only looks super generic in retrospect because the next two decades of stand-up were influenced by him.

then he became rich and lost touch with reality, trying to make observations about everyday life doesn't work when your everyday life is so far removed from the audience's.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I found the worst DSA member

https://twitter.com/dawnsaffron/status/1172524412370685953?s=21

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Knowing Seinfeld is actually a hack comedian only makes the show better in retrospect.

seinfeld doesn't realize that he's no different than kenny banya

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/DragHris/status/1172544816632279043

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i dunno despite all the handwringing in this thread "cancel culture" seems to be right on the money to me

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

(dead)
(Canada)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
poor grandpa joe, cancelled into oblivion by the :females: hashtag

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Johnny Depp on there is really funny given that

1. His career is intact
2. He's such a famous pain in the rear end to work with that his career should be dead on those grounds alone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Al! posted:

i dunno despite all the handwringing in this thread "cancel culture" seems to be right on the money to me

as in verb noun?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Tulip posted:

Johnny Depp on there is really funny given that

1. His career is intact
2. He's such a famous pain in the rear end to work with that his career should be dead on those grounds alone

apparently this is true for Chris hardwick as well. well 1 is definitely true, but apparently 2 is a lesser known fact

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
many such cases!

Also despite the focused hot take I can't help but notice the guy pointing out that jacking off suffices as something to do to keep kids off the street

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"Not long after" wow, what the gently caress, Amerikkka?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

can confirm, except for the shoplifting and death row part

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Halser posted:

many such cases!

Also despite the focused hot take I can't help but notice the guy pointing out that jacking off suffices as something to do to keep kids off the street

TVs and movie theaters do substantial crime reduction because yeah, bored folks make trouble, but I refuse to taint my search engine with whatever it would take to figure out if somebody checked masturbation

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

if we attached devices to men that jerked them off three, four times a day then they would never be horny enough to do sex crimes

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

turn off the TV posted:

if we attached devices to men that jerked them off three, four times a day then they would never be horny enough to do sex crimes

I see you've read my blade runner fanfiction

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

(dead)
(Canada)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

turn off the TV posted:

I Have No Horny And I Must Crime

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Halser posted:

many such cases!

It's a two-fer!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Al! posted:

it really does need to be talked about at length, but declaring someone you don't like "canceled" gives people a fleeting sense of power, especially if they're part of a historically marginalized group. it's much easier to knock down than it is to build up

connected to that, i typed a lot of words about the state of comedy today but this guy said it better than i could. there are a couple of other tweets he made after that as well
https://twitter.com/SeanMcCarthyCom...ber%3D5%23pti30

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Sep 13, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know who that guy is but he is basically man yells at cloud so if he is the best representative of your argument you might want to self reflect a bit

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

am I supposed to feel bad that this poor man wrote thousands of tweets, some of which were racist

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know who that guy is but he is basically man yells at cloud so if he is the best representative of your argument you might want to self reflect a bit
he isn't wrong though

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

cancel culture only really matters for people who can never log off and live their lives so if it bothers you just do that

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

what do you think he’s saying because to me it seems to be “it’s ok to say racist stuff if you’re trying really hard in comedy”

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

what do you think he’s saying because to me it seems to be “it’s ok to say racist stuff if you’re trying really hard in comedy”
even if his example is bad, this is something people do on the regular to advance themselves and you're an idiot for thinking it's not harmful behavior

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
When I apply for a job I just show them the list of all the people I've deemed problematic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

get that OUT of my face posted:

he isn't wrong though

he isn’t really making any salient point outside of woe is me handwringing

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The problem is that cancelling a problematic comedian is an individual solution when the solution needs to be systematic I.e. cancel SNL

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

he isn’t really making any salient point outside of woe is me handwringing
wrong

Tulip posted:

The problem is that cancelling a problematic comedian is an individual solution when the solution needs to be systematic I.e. cancel SNL
right, SNL is at its worst ever

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

even if his example is bad, this is something people do on the regular to advance themselves and you're an idiot for thinking it's not harmful behavior

I agree people do racist stuff to advance themselves all the time and it is harmful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I agree people do racist stuff to advance themselves all the time and it is harmful
you're not stopping racism by digging up poo poo one person said years ago, you're doing it for a fleeting sense of power

the only thing that needs to be canceled here is twitter