Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Maybe I'd put it as, a white person with a swastika tattoo is either a Nazi, or so screamingly oblivious to the concept of bad optics that if he isn't apologizing for it or hiding it or working on finding a way to change it at every step he doesn't really get a lot of sympathy for having people mistake him for a Nazi.

I genuinely disagree with this. The Swastika is a large part of many religions that whites are of course free to practice, and you see a great deal of that overflow into the tattoo world. In my experience, those folx prefer yoga to curbstomps.

You are describing a conservative mindset. You are allowing Hollywood to influence your thought process. You sound like you don't deal with this on a daily basis.

Think about it like this. The overt and subconscious racism that me and mine deal with is a daily affair, from all kinds of whites without any racist markings. You seem to see it as swastika = racist, when as far as I can tell, it's white person = racist. So, honestly, those that have non-nazi swastikas that are willing to support a symbol that they get so much poo poo for defending, those people have my respect. Why? Because by picking something difficult to defend to other whites, they have a sliver of what it's like to live as a Native in the US.

In more simple terms, your loving swastika tattoo isn't what will give it away to me if you are a racist, it'll be your racism.

White folx don't give a gently caress about my people, so my people don't give a gently caress what white people think of our culture. Don't like it? Please leave already, we'd love our land back.

Choom Gangster has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
While I agree most white people are racist to varying degrees, even "woke" white people, I also think if you're a white dude with a swastika on you, you're probably a nazi. I can hold these two expectations simultaneously.

Edit: Nevertheless, Pewdiepie is completely dogwistling, I have no doubt in my mind considering the flack he's caught in the past few years. It's probably a smart (but evil) move on his part financially. Hell, the $50K isn't even his money as it turns out.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Choom Gangster posted:

I genuinely disagree with this. The Swastika is a large part of many religions that whites are of course free to practice, and you see a great deal of that overflow into the tattoo world. In my experience, those folx prefer yoga to curbstomps.

You are describing a conservative mindset. You are allowing Hollywood to influence your thought process. You sound like you don't deal with this on a daily basis.

Think about it like this. The overt and subconscious racism that me and mine deal with is a daily affair, from all kinds of whites without any racist markings. You seem to see it as swastika = racist, when as far as I can tell, it's white person = racist. So, honestly, those that have non-nazi swastikas that are willing to support a symbol that they get so much poo poo for defending, those people have my respect. Why? Because by picking something difficult to defend to other whites, they have a sliver of what it's like to live as a Native in the US.

In more simple terms, your loving swastika tattoo isn't what will give it away to me if you are a racist, it'll be your racism.

White folx don't give a gently caress about my people, so my people don't give a gently caress what white people think of our culture. Don't like it? Please leave already, we'd love our land back.

Dude you realize that the sauwastika and the the nazi swastika are different symbols right? Also gently caress off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The problem is the Nazi swastika has a clear design. It's at an angle and has a distinctive appearance compared to actual religious swastikas (which often include dots in the empty spaces as well). If a white guy has a swastika tattoo, you should likely be able to immediately tell if it's a religious piece or if they're a Nazi. This is like the people trying to say PewDiePie was just wearing a "Malta Cross" when it's a completely different design that looks only superficially similar.

I'm also pretty sure that religious swastika tattoos are vanishingly rare compared to Nazi ones. I've never seen a religious one in person but I've seen at least three people with Nazi ones (accompanied by many other Nazi tattoos).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

chitoryu12 posted:

The problem is the Nazi swastika has a clear design. It's at an angle and has a distinctive appearance compared to actual religious swastikas (which often include dots in the empty spaces as well). If a white guy has a swastika tattoo, you should likely be able to immediately tell if it's a religious piece or if they're a Nazi. This is like the people trying to say PewDiePie was just wearing a "Malta Cross" when it's a completely different design that looks only superficially similar.

I'm also pretty sure that religious swastika tattoos are vanishingly rare compared to Nazi ones. I've never seen a religious one in person but I've seen at least three people with Nazi ones (accompanied by many other Nazi tattoos).

This is true, although there's one at a similar angle on the Snoldelev Stone from around the 9th century but other than that I don't think I've seen them offset like the Nazi Hakenkreuz

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
The swastika is kind of like having a bunch of confederate flags on your wall, or a meticulously maintained collection of pictures of your neighbors b-hole. Yeah okay sure there ARE conceivably innocuous reasons for having it up there but the chances of me running into a genuine example are so low that I'm just gonna err on the side of caution, doubly so if the person gets real hung up about it. If that means I'll miss out on some totally radical relationships with Buddhists, then that's my loss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's probably even fewer innocuous reasons for having a Confederate flag.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nastyman posted:

The swastika is kind of like having a bunch of confederate flags on your wall, or a meticulously maintained collection of pictures of your neighbors b-hole. Yeah okay sure there ARE conceivably innocuous reasons for having it up there but the chances of me running into a genuine example are so low that I'm just gonna err on the side of caution, doubly so if the person gets real hung up about it. If that means I'll miss out on some totally radical relationships with Buddhists, then that's my loss.

I guess to me the difference is that with the confederate flag there's always an association with the confederacy. The relationship may be totally benign (a historian or something possibly) but the design is inextricably linked to that specific context, no other occurrence exists.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nastyman posted:

And to rephrase my thing, if his reasons ARE innocuous, he's going to bend waaaay over backwards to make it VERY clear that those are the reasons. He's not gonna be all like "Yeah ok I guess you could interpret my swastika collection as Nazi in nature, but that's on you you weirdo :rolleyes:"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
And if he's a Nazi, don't worry, he'll tell you.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

christmas boots posted:

This.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Stop defending swastika usage holy gently caress you're giving way too much credit to people who don't deserve it 99% of the time.

Put it this way, if I myself were to go get a swastika tattoo for completely benign reasons, I would absolutely expect people to think it's a nazi thing and expect to have to explain why not constantly. In other words, I just wouldn't get the tattoo.

Bevause it's 2019 and that's what it almost always means.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skwirl posted:

There's probably even fewer innocuous reasons for having a Confederate flag.

Captured in battle.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

chitoryu12 posted:

Captured in battle.

:hmmyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chitoryu12 posted:

Captured in battle.

Yeah, I guess I would proudly hang a Confederate flag if my great great great grand pappy had torn it from the hands of a dead reb.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Urinal lining.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
This tattoo? Oh, no, it's a sauwastika, and my mustache is simply the toothbrush kind, popularized by Charlie Chaplin. Now if you excuse me, there is mein fuh--my father *greets with a Roman salute*.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm sorry, are you saying that indigenous rights should be considered in calling white guys with swastikas Nazis? Yes those matter, even being the child of a man whose Native culture got beaten out of him but don't you see how incredibly tonedeaf you're being? Contemporary morals around the swastika come about because it was used by the one historical genocide we can convince people to care about consistently. You want to help out the tribes? Don't argue to protect nazis because natives have a minute amount of potential harm. That is a good thing for people to fear and have an automatic revulsion to, because it's the same band of fascists who are currently in power. You're selling the house to pay the library fees here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ads put up in public count as social media right?

https://twitter.com/JordanHaedtler/status/1171926612708868096?s=19

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Croatoan posted:

While I agree most white people are racist to varying degrees, even "woke" white people, I also think if you're a white dude with a swastika on you, you're probably a nazi. I can hold these two expectations simultaneously.

Edit: Nevertheless, Pewdiepie is completely dogwistling, I have no doubt in my mind considering the flack he's caught in the past few years. It's probably a smart (but evil) move on his part financially. Hell, the $50K isn't even his money as it turns out.

My current theory is that he never even planned to donate the money. It was just to stir up drama when the fash base of his did its thing. Now he's got loads of free media attention and that keeps the media empire going.

Brand boosting through controversy is way too common to be anything else than cynical marketing.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

christmas boots posted:

The thing is, even more than he hates minorities, PDP loving loves money and attention. If he goes full fash, he loses plausible deniability and all the subscribers and donors who are letting themselves believe his plausible denials. That's the point of dogwhistles: they let him keep that sweet, sweet sucker cash rolling in while letting the rest of the fash know he's really on their side.

e: and of course this is generalizable: lots of fash want to show off just how fascist they are, but for many of them laughing at normies is part of the point, so they want to be able to say "no, this definitely isn't a symbol of hatred and oppression, you credulous idiots will believe anything!" and deliberately select their iconography to allow that.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Sep 13, 2019

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I would love to see a list of everyone who signed off on this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How bad does he not think it looks though to his big sponsors to offer a big donation to an anti-hate charity ... and then rescind it? Because his fans demanded him to??

E: VV Yeah exactly

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Sep 13, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Data Graham posted:

How bad does he not think it looks though to his big sponsors to offer a big donation to an anti-hate charity ... and then rescind it? Because his fans demanded him to??

The hilarious part is there are legitimate reasons not to donate to ADL, but I don't think those were the reasons his fans were bitching at him, unless he starts dedicating all his future videos to solidarity with the Palestinian people or something.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Sunswipe posted:

https://twitter.com/MosherMoz/status/1172401743830740992

"It's not a Nazi symbol, it's a German symbol that Germany stopped using because of its association with the Nazis. Totally different." ~ Someone who is totally not a Nazi.

https://twitter.com/MosherMoz/status/1170636821048508416

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

So Shane Gillis got hired for SNL and was immediately found to have been making a lot of awful racist rants for "comedy."

https://twitter.com/Shanemgillis/status/1172340437752807424

so are white male comedians the new opressed gamers?

https://twitter.com/SeanMcCarthyCom/status/1172270460102414343

https://twitter.com/Beaker_Speaks/status/1172342511119060992?s=20

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Excuse me young cartoon bears, would you like to get into the honey at the bottom of this pot? Can you prove that you're a part of antifa so you can argue that you're not stealing the ranger's pick-a-nic basket?? Facts.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

To be fair to that guy, when he was told it was a parody blog, he said “Thanks for letting me know” instead of doubling down.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

AlbieQuirky posted:

To be fair to that guy, when he was told it was a parody blog, he said “Thanks for letting me know” instead of doubling down.

Then someone a bit further on goes "but antifa would totally do this so it's only a matter of time before it becomes real". OP may have learned but there are hundreds more to rise and take their place.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Choom Gangster posted:

Well, gently caress, I apologize unreservedly. This is a way more complicated issue than I thought it was and I have some learning to do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AlbieQuirky posted:

Don’t worry, a bigger idiot was happy to swoop in and take his place.

https://twitter.com/dethkruzer/status/1170724592857571329?s=20

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That's just more of the standard "it doesn't matter if it's true, it sounds like it could be true, makes u think" chud bullshit.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
"I wouldn't be surprised if this happened because it's what my constant daily supply of propaganda tells me happens!"

It's like all those lovely political cartoons that had Obama saying crazy bullshit he never even came close to saying and just passing it off as "well no it didn't happen, but you can totally imagine right?"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I feel like I'm missing some cultural context for this one. Is it a thing about segregated public transport?

Skwirl posted:

The hilarious part is there are legitimate reasons not to donate to ADL, but I don't think those were the reasons his fans were bitching at him, unless he starts dedicating all his future videos to solidarity with the Palestinian people or something.

Not to derail us into D&D, but someone mentioned this earlier and I looked up the ADL and in general they look pretty okay? Not hyper-conservative, not hyper-zionist, support some progressive/liberal causes, only outright bad thing I could find was them not fully recognizing the Armenian genocide. Did I just manage to walk past all the really bad poo poo?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like I'm missing some cultural context for this one. Is it a thing about segregated public transport?

Not to derail us into D&D, but someone mentioned this earlier and I looked up the ADL and in general they look pretty okay? Not hyper-conservative, not hyper-zionist, support some progressive/liberal causes, only outright bad thing I could find was them not fully recognizing the Armenian genocide. Did I just manage to walk past all the really bad poo poo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy poo poo I just assumed it was a period sex joke.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:stonk: Holy poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Redlining has been covered, but the ADL has a tendency to attack anyone critical of Israel's treatment of Palestinians as anti-semitism (specifically going after Ilhan Omar after she had some basic criticism of politicians taking donations from pro Israel Lobbyists).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Well, gently caress, I apologize unreservedly. This is a way more complicated issue than I thought it was and I have some learning to do.

It’s really not that complicated, the amount of white people who just genuinely want to practice some eastern religion are generally a very very small minority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Skwirl posted:

Redlining has been covered, but the ADL has a tendency to attack anyone critical of Israel's treatment of Palestinians as anti-semitism (specifically going after Ilhan Omar after she had some basic criticism of politicians taking donations from pro Israel Lobbyists).

Agreed but that is 100% not why PewDiePie decided not to donate. It's just his plausible deniability that the fascists this is so loving hilarious.