Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I JUST realized the Teacher’s Lounge theme is basically Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
The portrayal of high school in Teacher's Lounge is so silly and directly ripped from pop culture that I don't think it's ever evoked an actual high school memory for me, nor did I feel it needed to, so I don't really see how an interview about the guest's real high school experience fits into the tone or content of the show. It'd be strange to have the show be more realistic or actually be, like, about high school or something.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I just wanna hear what happens to the first real celebrity when Drew has one of his moments where he just loses his mind for a few minutes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Magissima posted:

The portrayal of high school in Teacher's Lounge is so silly and directly ripped from pop culture

For example, at Hamilton High School loose sheets of paper are constantly raining down on people, it's like the end of an 80's movie in there

The Senator Giroux posted:

I just wanna hear what happens to the first real celebrity when Drew has one of his moments where he just loses his mind for a few minutes.

This may be the real draw of non-character guests, getting to hear somebody unfamiliar with the show reacting when they are exposed first-hand to "SUCK THEM BUCKHOLES! BUCK A SUCK! JUNG JEWEY!"

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
but having non-character guests is going to inhibit the craziness. i wish wild horses would stop having guests on. they're so weird and interesting and have such a great dynamic between themselves and then the guest comes on and all the fun stops. the most recent episode aparna nacherla was the guest, who's great and everything, but she barely talked and it was so much better than usual.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did y'all turn off the preview before they mentioned their first "celebrity guest" was Michelle Obama?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Franchescanado posted:

I JUST realized the Teacher’s Lounge theme is basically Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan

Hahaha, oh my god

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I mean, it's just gonna be like Comedy Bang Bang.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did y'all turn off the preview before they mentioned their first "celebrity guest" was Michelle Obama?

Egg on my face for just reading the description, once again

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
i mean, it's not really the caliber of the guest that is the issue for me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Magissima posted:

The portrayal of high school in Teacher's Lounge is so silly and directly ripped from pop culture that I don't think it's ever evoked an actual high school memory for me, nor did I feel it needed to, so I don't really see how an interview about the guest's real high school experience fits into the tone or content of the show. It'd be strange to have the show be more realistic or actually be, like, about high school or something.

Every school has a cheetahman

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

the Insane Piano posted:

i mean, it's not really the caliber of the guest that is the issue for me.

Let me get this straight, you legitimately believe that Michelle Obama would be a guest on a podcast that has had several season finales where OJ saves the day with his white Bronco...

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Gourley just posted that him and Rust are back for In Myers We Trust with Gyers and Rust

The Senator Giroux fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 9, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That's awesome, I had a great time listening to all the Jason ones a couple of months back even though I had only ever seen a few of the movies. Maybe I'll actually watch along this time

I hope the episodes are still like two and a half hours long

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wait a minute....big apple bible? That's a good idea for a show!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
https://twitter.com/earwolf/status/1171790395572928513

kevin must be so excited

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:rip: Earwolf

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The latest HH was extremely good.

to knowledge

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

to knowledge

I was totally unfamiliar with Ayo but she was great. Was super happy to hear her come back into the studio for today's Pro Version.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Carl asking Andy if he knew what vore was had me laughing big time.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Paul Scheer takes the opportunity to drop not one, but two absolutely terrible political opinions at the end of the On the Waterfront episode of Unspooled (defending both HUAC and the invasion of Iraq [!!]).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

to knowledge

Got around to it late, but that was a corker for sure.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ayo edibiri should be the third host

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Chairman Capone posted:

Paul Scheer takes the opportunity to drop not one, but two absolutely terrible political opinions at the end of the On the Waterfront episode of Unspooled (defending both HUAC and the invasion of Iraq [!!]).

Oh my goodness gracious. I might have to listen to my first episode of Unspooled to see how he got to the Iraq war from there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Iraq War bit came out of nowhere. He basically said that Elia Kazan did nothing wrong by testifying to HUAC because they thought that they were doing the right thing at the time and "no one got hurt" (which is also a crazy thing to say, especially since the other host had like five minutes earlier talked about how people's lives actually were destroyed) and then immediately added on something to the effect of "Like the people who voted for the Iraq War, it made sense at the time and no one knew it was a fake war so we shouldn't criticize people for voted for the war." Which is in a way even crazier than the HUAC comments.

I wonder if this weird worldview has anything to do with June Diane Raphael clearly being a huge support of Hillary Clinton.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hillary losing really did break a lot of comic’s brains

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It’s wild to listen back to episodes before the election, up until like 2 weeks after, when most podcasts had burned through their reserves, where it went from “Donald trump has some really good ideas lol, lock her up!” To “so I just am not sure about the world anymore.”

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like how Hannibal Buress predicted before the election that Trump would get the popular vote, but Hillary would win through the electoral college (though I think there were a lot of people who thought that). Almost had it!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I4H has some particularly rough episodes in that regard.

But there's a great scene with Gemberling and Ozeri where the game is that Hillary being elected means all the Trump supporters have to reluctantly not be racist anymore. It plays is a lot darker in retrospect.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Especially Greg Proops.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i refuse to believe anyone broke more than jen kirkman

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

i refuse to believe anyone broke more than jen kirkman

Wasn't she broken before then though?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

The Ape of Naples posted:

Wasn't she broken before then though?

She was a fun guest on the Pod F. Tompkast

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And The Todd Glass Show, where I remember her having very progressive politics. What happened with her?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 13, 2019

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I do remember her being fun but also kinda broken, for whatever reason. Even before 2016. She just kinda went off the deep end.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kirkman was just on the finale episode of The Long Shot podcast (RIP) and was pleasant and funny enough but not nearly as sharp and snappy as she used to be. I like her and her stand-up (but haven't checked it out in awhile), but I think she also went through some personal turmoil a few years back. And yeah the election really did a number too.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

The Iraq War bit came out of nowhere. He basically said that Elia Kazan did nothing wrong by testifying to HUAC because they thought that they were doing the right thing at the time and "no one got hurt" (which is also a crazy thing to say, especially since the other host had like five minutes earlier talked about how people's lives actually were destroyed) and then immediately added on something to the effect of "Like the people who voted for the Iraq War, it made sense at the time and no one knew it was a fake war so we shouldn't criticize people for voted for the war." Which is in a way even crazier than the HUAC comments.

I wonder if this weird worldview has anything to do with June Diane Raphael clearly being a huge support of Hillary Clinton.

I love Scheer but he's also kind of a dumbass on a lot of things. I'm sure June plays up her exasperation with him on HDTGM but you can tell when she's legitimately pissed at something that drops out of his mouth.

On these specific topics it's probably worth keeping in mind that most of the main Earwolf crew are a bunch of privileged rich bougies. Great podcasts, funny people, but it's still a factor.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 14, 2019

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Laterite posted:

On these specific topics it's probably worth keeping in mind that most of the main Earwolf crew are a bunch of privileged rich bougies. Great podcasts, funny people, but it's still a factor.

I always laugh when I remember that chef Kevin's dad is a health insurance executive.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Flaskraven posted:

I always laugh when I remember that chef Kevin's dad is a health insurance executive.

Never forget: the answer to the question "Which LA comedians are secret rich kids" is "All of them except Nick Kroll, because his dad's status as a billionaire is public knowledge"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Kirkman had an episode of her podcast around the time when the Gawker article came out about an anonymous comedian who jacked off in front of women in like 2015 calling Louis Ck out, because he did it to her too, but she deleted it and tried to sue everyone who tried to do a followup, because it was prior to that 2017 watershed