Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Also I have 3 pounds of shredded chicken. What should I do with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Enchiladas

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Steve Yun posted:

I have a four cup granite mortar and just ordered a one cup porcelain. Could I have just used my big one for tiny spoonfuls of spices?

Yep. I do small quantities of rosemary all the time in my big granite one.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Buffalo chicken dip. I don’t care if it’s Midwest trashy, it’s good.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Steve Yun posted:

Home made Crunchwraps.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Steve Yun posted:

Ice Cream.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Budget bites has a recipe for chicken burritos that you can clingwrap up and freeze if you just wanna do a big bulk lazy meal prep for when you're in a pinch or somethin.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I know it's basic, but that sounds like an opportunity for a really good chicken salad. Like, the mayonnaise type.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

I have a four cup granite mortar and just ordered a one cup porcelain. Could I have just used my big one for tiny spoonfuls of spices?

Yeah I've ground teaspoon or smaller quantities in mine all the time

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Light oil in a skillet
Toss in mushrooms
Wait until they start to get soft
Throw in shredded chicken
Mix soy sauce and brown sugar at a 1:1 ratio
Pour into skillet and let that poo poo cook through
Send to me

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Anyone got a simple marinara/tomato sauce recipe? I got a bunch of ripe tomatoes I picked from my summers potted patio tomato crop. :)

I mean I could just go to google but :shrug:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chinatown posted:

Anyone got a simple marinara/tomato sauce recipe? I got a bunch of ripe tomatoes I picked from my summers potted patio tomato crop. :)

What kind of tomato? If it was a patio garden are they cherry tomatoes?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

I guess my biggest question is are they sauce tomatoes? If they're plum or roma tomatoes or of that sort, (lots of "meat" not much "seed and guts") then sauce is pretty straight forward. Other tomatoes will make sauce, but you'll need to cut back the liquid you add to the mix and do more blender work to get it smooth.

Scald them (drop whole into boiling water) to make the skin burst, then peel the skin off.
Put them into whatever pot you want to make the sauce in and hit them with a masher to make "crushed tomatoes"
Add in 1/4 of their weight in either wine or water
Add in some spices. Oregano, basil, rosemary, black/white pepper, garlic, salt. Do this to taste
Keep simmering it until the "crushed" bits get super soft, then hit it with a stick blender until it's as smooth as you want it to be.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
They are Heatmasters from the "Home Depot" growing region of the USA.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Yes, although it's sometimes kinda a pain in the rear end if the spice you're trying to grind is wee and spherical (black pepper, mustard seed, whatever), because they tend to try to jump out of the mortar.

Or at least I notice it a lot more when I'm doing a small batch of something in my fuckoff big granite m&p than if I'm doing larger batches or using a smaller m&p.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chinatown posted:

2# tomatoes
5 Tbsp butter
1 onion, halved

Simmer ~45 minutes, discard onion.

Add fish sauce if you have it salt if you don't to taste.

You can add some oregano at the start or basil at the end if you want to tart it up, but we're talking week night gently caress it sauce here so don't overthink it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SubG posted:

2# tomatoes
5 Tbsp butter
1 onion, halved

Simmer ~45 minutes, discard onion.

Add fish sauce if you have it salt if you don't to taste.

You can add some oregano at the start or basil at the end if you want to tart it up, but we're talking week night gently caress it sauce here so don't overthink it.

Save the onions to caramelize and use on something else later. If you have fresh basil throw it in as you're mixing in your pasta, if you have dried don't bother. This is more or less my go to tomato sauce when using fresh from the garden, doctored up with whatever else happens to be fresh at the moment.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Save the onions to caramelize and use on something else later.
They're pretty good as-is as a sandwich/burger topper or just on toast too.

For anyone unfamiliar: if you take an onion, halve it, and then simmer it in sauce for 45 minutes it'll hold its shape until you touch it, and then it'll separate into a bunch of sheets of tomato-braised onion.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

They are Heatmasters from the "Home Depot" growing region of the USA.
They aren't traditional sauce tomatoes, so I'd start out using 1/8th liquid by weight in the pot. Add a little water/wine if it needs more, otherwise just keep cooking them until they're soft, hit with the blender, then cook some more to reduce any excess liquid out of the sauce.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Awesome thanks guys.

I also found an italian deli/store nearby with fresh pasta to I'm planning on getting nice (fat) this weekend.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lol WTF am I supposed to grind in this

Edit: ok it’s a piece of garbage. My big one dusted a handful of black pepper in seconds, after a minute in the small one I still had whole peppercorns.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 13, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I bought an equally useless pestle and mortar that has shallow sides and it angled to one side, so everything would fall out unless you were really careful. Now I know to buy a deep pestle and mortar so I can just go ham on whatever I'm crushing without worrying it's gonna fall out.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: ok it’s a piece of garbage. My big one dusted a handful of black pepper in seconds, after a minute in the small one I still had whole peppercorns.

It could work for grinding sesame seeds for Tonkatsu sauce at the table.
A long time ago I had a small porcelain mortar like that and I tried to bash down chilli and garlic in it and just succeeded at breaking it!
I have 2 granite ones and they are awesome.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I only ever had a small porcelain mortar which, predictably, was garbage, so I never trusted any mortars but I'm thinking I'll reconsider and I even know a shop right around the corner. Anything I have to watch out for so I don't accidentally snag a piece more suited for decoration?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BNF-KTHERB...PAAAOSwCgNbu96y

I got this one on a goon’s recommendation and i love it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I bought this for $55 on kenji's recommendation and it's incredible https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0747DHS6T/

the one steve yun linked looks about the same though

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Steve Yun posted:

I suggest looking at Pinterest for decorative mortar and pestles for ideas.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Quick one (probably going to start a debate).

Microplaned garlic: would a buffalo wing sauce be a good application for this? I love garlic flavored wing sauces, and I'm making wings tonight using a basic buffalo sauce, so I wanted to toss some garlic in there.

Will microplaned garlic be too much? I've done it with roughly minced garlic in the past and hadn't had a satisfying garlic flavor. It won't really be cooking much, just enough to melt the butter and warm things through before tossing the wings.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I dont have much personal experience with microplaned garlic outside of knowing it is stronger than chopped or minced, but I know it is still garlic and garlic is good in wing sauce. I am sure it will be fine. If you are worried about it being too pungent I would just add a small amount while you prep the sauce and taste, adding more as you feel is needed. Given that it is pureed it should dissolve fairly well into the sauce, so I am willing to bet any garlicky wing sauce you've had at your wing bar of choice was made using that.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Yup, definitely worried about overdoing it. No idea why I didn't just think of the add/taste/adjust method, but I wasn't sure if maybe there's a better way of cooking the sauce that would get me a good garlic flavor without risking it being overbearing or bitter.

I haven't used microplaned garlic but once or twice, and it was in reputable recipes so there were no issues. For some reason it only dawned on me earlier that microplaned garlic would dissolve well in the sauce, instead of having "big" chunks of garlic on my wings. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with an inedible pile of bitter wings, which would be a crime against humanity.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
make Sriracha wings instead

no need to add extra garlic

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My general opinion is that anyone who dislikes lots of garlic is a defective person to begin with. I might not want it on everything, but for savory foods, there's not much that can't be enhanced with a little more garlic.

As for microplanes, I think as long as you have a decent one and the clove of garlic is at the right stage of ripeness that works. The problem I have with most microplanes is that they do really good for hard and dry food items (nutmegs, etc) and really really bad for things that are wet and fibrous (garlic, ginger, etc.). If you had one that was super sharp, then it would probably work and not just gum up and dribble garlic juice on the food.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anytime something asks for minced or pressed garlic I just grate it on a microplane. I haven’t noticed a difference in how garlic-y things taste since I started doing that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just smack the garlic real hard with a big knife on the cutting board, works great

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Lawnie posted:

Anytime something asks for minced or pressed garlic I just grate it on a microplane. I haven’t noticed a difference in how garlic-y things taste since I started doing that.

I sometimes wonder if garlic is like salt. More garlic means less sensitivity to garlic or something. Ever since I got a decent microplane I've been using it for everything but recipes that call for whole cloves or rough chops.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Weltlich posted:

My general opinion is that anyone who dislikes lots of garlic is a defective person to begin with.

Quite so.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
trip report: microplaned garlic worked great. First bite of the wings had a hint of garlic at the start, but then it really came through on the back end. But not in a bad way... then again I love garlic, and I guess thinking about it it'd take a lot to overpower the hot sauce.

That said, Kenji's oven baked wings were a tad disappointing this time (not really, but they weren't as good as normal). I must have put too much salt on because they were a bit on the salty side, and not quite as crispy as usual. Old rear end baking powder maybe, but 40 minutes in the oven is usually plenty to get them good and crispy. Oh well, slightly sub-par wings are far from the worst thing.

anyhow, sauce (cribbed from somewhere on serious eats, and enhanced with garlic):

2T unsalted butter (per lb of wings)
2T Frank's redhot sauce (per lb of wings)
1 large clove garlic (microplaned, per lb of wings)

Throw in sauce pan. Heat over low to melt butter, whisk together, and let everything co-mingle while wings are cooking. Toss wings in it. Eat. Could probably stand more garlic, but I didn't want to overdo it. edit: also I couldn't get this to emulsify, but I didn't try real hard. Didn't care because whisking it right before tossing the wings works out fine.

I see a lot of recipes call for additional vinegar but there's plenty in the hot sauce. I don't know what adding more would really do.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 14, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Halve the salt on all kenji recipes

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Halve the salt on all kenji recipes

Hard disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.