Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, 50 Foot Ant was a hell of a storyteller. That set would make a hell of a novel.

In actual OSHA news, one of my team's SOPs for working in the labs is, "if you hear glass breaking, run for the door." Well, I got to update it this summer to include "if you hear a loud noise and 'oh poo poo!' from a researcher, run for it."

I was in the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance lab to get a vendor-supplied PC on the domain. I had just finished when I heard a really loud WHOOSH and a scientist shouting 'oh poo poo!'. I grabbed my stuff and beat him to the door.

This is what tens of thousands of dollars of liquid helium boiling off looks like.

https://i.imgur.com/me56bVk.mp4

Is the visible vapor the helium itself or just condensation from the cold? Because I'd have thought helium would rise rather faster than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
How the gently caress did they trigger a loving quench on that Bruker 500

Src: am former nmr person

Ed: there is a lump of iron in that giant thermos, sitting in a liquid helium bath. That in turn is sitting in a liquid nitrogen bath.

Once you have the iron real cold, it is a superconductor, and you can pump current into it, which gives rise to a very strong magnetic field, that 500 MHz unit is running around 11.7 Tesla. The Earth magnetic field is like 50 microTesla in comparison.

So as long as the magnet stays cold, the current keeps the field looping. If, however, for some goddamn reason, the magnet gets a little too warm, it stops superconducting, and the field heats up like good old P= I^2*R and R isn't zero any more. Current turns into heat, boils off liquid helium as the field "quenches".

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This wouldn't have happened if they upgraded to the Bruker 600.

The hydrcoptic marzelvanes always were a little twitchy on the 500's.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But can it handle bilateral phase transforms on the lunar wane shaft?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This wouldn't have happened if they upgraded to the Bruker 600.

The hydrcoptic marzelvanes always were a little twitchy on the 500's.

But you can clearly see they've been upgraded with jerry girdled rover trunions, along with converting the modus to a logarithmic casing in such a way that the two sperving bearings are in a direct line with the panametric fam. That completely prevents side fumbling which makes them more reliable than the 600 at half the price.

This had to be user error.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Definitely! I've seen a 200% reduction in side-fumbling with the new upgrades. And my cardinal grammeters? Man, you would not believe how synchronized they are now.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Trabant posted:

Some strong "an SD card was recovered from the scene, this is the last image saved" vibes here.
It reminds me of the photo from Afghanistan where a US mortar team and the photographer were killed when a mortar went off in the tube. The last photograph on the camera was a fireball expanding outwards from the mortar tube and everyone standing around it.

edit - Hilda Clayton was the combat photographer who died in the explosion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Apollo posted:

It reminds me of the photo from Afghanistan where a US mortar team and the photographer were killed when a mortar went off in the tube. The last photograph on the camera was a fireball expanding outwards from the mortar tube and everyone standing around it.

edit - Hilda Clayton was the combat photographer who died in the explosion

Why don’t they make body armour out of flash cards?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Why don’t they make body armour out of flash cards?

The real question is why don't they make body armour out of DSLRs

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Definitely! I've seen a 200% reduction in side-fumbling with the new upgrades. And my cardinal grammeters? Man, you would not believe how synchronized they are now.

These are the best derails.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

terrenblade posted:

These are the best derails.

It's not a derail, it's about the structural dynamics of flow. We are discussing the obstacles, challenges, and insecurities that come up against the simple act of delivering an element from one place to another. To name a few: attrition, gravity, mischief, calamity, incompetence … also, erosion, contraction, expansion, buffoonery.

Essentially, we are discussing the tremendous difficulty inherent in simply transporting any entity from A to B.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Powershift posted:

It's not a derail, it's about the structural dynamics of flow. We are discussing the obstacles, challenges, and insecurities that come up against the simple act of delivering an element from one place to another. To name a few: attrition, gravity, mischief, calamity, incompetence … also, erosion, contraction, expansion, buffoonery.

Essentially, we are discussing the tremendous difficulty inherent in simply transporting any entity from A to B.

You know what would be great with that? A breakfast, maybe we'll go crazy, get a whole spread with muffins, breakfast breads, assorted pastries. You know, a whole spread. How does that sound?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
DIY wood splitters are frequently posted here and... honestly, this one's not as immediately dangerous to life or health as most:

https://i.imgur.com/armbUri.mp4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pshhhh, what is that, like 5 RPM

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/rpCZvXk.mp4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Trabant posted:

DIY wood splitters are frequently posted here and... honestly, this one's not as immediately dangerous to life or health as most:

I think that is the safest home brew wood splitter I've seen posted anywhere

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Nice cartwheel at the end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

I think that is the safest home brew wood splitter I've seen posted anywhere

The open pulleys are a hazard.

So is the way the wedge passes through the table. Get a hand caught there and kiss it goodbye.

There’s a safer splitter I saw in one of the compilations in this thread. Like this one, it splits logs with a slow but unyielding force, but it’s reciprocating, not rotational, so a hand can only be trapped against the log.

I couldn’t find that one again but I found this one which does it one better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy99iG0sadM&t=270s

starts at 4:30

I like that the thing isn’t reciprocating non‐stop and has to be manually engaged each time. I don’t like that it has exposed pulleys.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I have one that's almost exactly like that that my dad build, but it's hydraulic, no exposed anything.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We had one of the ram-type splitters at a summer camp I worked for a while. Come to think of it, that whole place was OSHA as gently caress.
- The septic tank was underneath the soccer pitch and often overflowed.
- We turned a fenced-off petting zoo into a paintball field (after all the animals got eaten by wolves). They put me in charge of the paintball program because I was the most familiar (I had played maybe a dozen airsoft games and three paintball games). The CO2 tank line blew a few times, once pouring liquid CO2 all over my hand. The fences weren't draped in material to stop paintballs, so we had to halt hikes and other programs around the field because some kids got hit by stray balls. There was a small swamp in the center of the field that kids often fell into during games. Kids far too young were being signed up to play paintball which meant we had to play 'rabbit': Instead of two teams, it was all 18-24 campers with markers against an unarmed me - I'd go deep in the field and blow a whistle, then try to sneak past them. I never won.
- When they oversold the camp one year, in a rush they rented commercial trailers (the kind with linoleum floors and air conditioning you might see used as an office on a used car dealership lot) and filled them with bunkbeds. They had these huge metal stairs to get in, and the electrical powering them had exposed ground posts. This solution seemed to work, so these trailers became semi-permanent cabins.
- They let me fell trees and drive a tractor while high as balls.
- I kinda sorta started a forest fire one year.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I think this one is pretty decent as far as home made log splitters go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VMhfIsfm0

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

- I kinda sorta started a forest fire one year.

Go onnnn... :allears:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Poldarn posted:

Go onnnn... :allears:

OK, so the way it worked at this camp was you'd get one 24-hour day off a week, starting at 5:30 (dinnertime) and only during the week from Monday to Thursday nights to ensure that all staff were present for the incoming/outgoing campers, the opening bonfire and the dance on Friday night. The (usually random, but sometimes by request) group you shared a day off with became your crew with which to gently caress off to town, get drunk and get a motel room, go portage somewhere to get drunk and do drugs, or whatever.

On the night in question our crew made the stupid decision to hike out into the woods to one of the smaller fire pits used for outdoor education sessions. It wasn't far enough away from the camp. Some staff who were still on-duty caught wind of this somehow and came out to visit us - I spent a lot of time yelling at a few of them to go back and take care of their campers. It became a loud-rear end party and the fire grew.

I retired to a tent after pouring some water and scattering the coals. In the morning, I returned, still a bit drunk and pissed on the embers, thinking that would put out the fire. It didn't. The next night we got a message over the radios to send two counsellors from each cabin down for an emergency meeting. It was a ground fire - the dry roots beneath the firepit (why a pit was built this way I don't know) had caught fire and were burning underground. We had to lug garbage pails of water into the woods and dump them as some of the other staff dug into the ground and cut the roots, to prevent the fire from bursting in a tree and starting a full-blown forest fire. The local town's fire department even showed up, took a look around and said "you did everything we would," and left. This all happened in the middle of the night.

The next morning the senior staff called us into a meeting and reprimanded us like crazy. I was worried I'd be fired, but apparently I was too valuable to let go (canoe instructor, in charge of paintball, could teach rock climbing, low ropes etc.). I spent the whole meeting with my head in my hands.

So technically I didn't start the fire, but since I was the most senior staff member onsite I still hold myself responsible.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Can't fall from a ladder if there's no ladder.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

How the gently caress did they trigger a loving quench on that Bruker 500

Src: am former nmr person

Ed: there is a lump of iron in that giant thermos, sitting in a liquid helium bath. That in turn is sitting in a liquid nitrogen bath.

Once you have the iron real cold, it is a superconductor, and you can pump current into it, which gives rise to a very strong magnetic field, that 500 MHz unit is running around 11.7 Tesla. The Earth magnetic field is like 50 microTesla in comparison.

So as long as the magnet stays cold, the current keeps the field looping. If, however, for some goddamn reason, the magnet gets a little too warm, it stops superconducting, and the field heats up like good old P= I^2*R and R isn't zero any more. Current turns into heat, boils off liquid helium as the field "quenches".

why dont they vent that poo poo outside op

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, 50 Foot Ant was a hell of a storyteller. That set would make a hell of a novel.

In actual OSHA news, one of my team's SOPs for working in the labs is, "if you hear glass breaking, run for the door." Well, I got to update it this summer to include "if you hear a loud noise and 'oh poo poo!' from a researcher, run for it."

I was in the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance lab to get a vendor-supplied PC on the domain. I had just finished when I heard a really loud WHOOSH and a scientist shouting 'oh poo poo!'. I grabbed my stuff and beat him to the door.

This is what tens of thousands of dollars of liquid helium boiling off looks like.

https://i.imgur.com/me56bVk.mp4

Any electronics stop working?

https://www.ifixit.com/News/iphones-are-allergic-to-helium

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

How many times do I need to tell you, calling on dark spirits to grant you magic power is not a OSHA violation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Was he the one that was in that haunted base?

Ostensibly he and Humper Monkey were brothers, with Humper Monkey being an extremely volatile juvie kid who died like a decade ago.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Trabant posted:

Wouldn't this be safer without gloves?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LdChUbCUcQ&t=8s

There are some cursed ones in here.

The next one isn’t so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4m7FrnudhE&t=314s

The last one is blessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YpOZBHwpT8

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mister Speaker posted:

So technically I didn't start the fire,

But you did light it
And tried to fight it?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

shovelbum posted:

why dont they vent that poo poo outside op

That's my thought too unless we just can't see the vents. NMRs I've been around have big rear end ventilation units to blow all that nitrogen/helium outside. Quenching NMRs very much want to murder you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mustached Demon posted:

That's my thought too unless we just can't see the vents. NMRs I've been around have big rear end ventilation units to blow all that nitrogen/helium outside. Quenching NMRs very much want to murder you.

You will at least hear them quenching.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rust Martialis posted:

You will at least hear them quenching.

When I hear them quenching, you’ll hear me clenching.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

chopping wood

this is the one i remember from the last wood posting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ejWHlPLaE

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

:stare:

Pilots now issued sippy cups

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

The open pulleys are a hazard.

So is the way the wedge passes through the table. Get a hand caught there and kiss it goodbye.

There’s a safer splitter I saw in one of the compilations in this thread. Like this one, it splits logs with a slow but unyielding force, but it’s reciprocating, not rotational, so a hand can only be trapped against the log.

I couldn’t find that one again but I found this one which does it one better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy99iG0sadM&t=270s

starts at 4:30

I like that the thing isn’t reciprocating non‐stop and has to be manually engaged each time. I don’t like that it has exposed pulleys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy99iG0sadM&t=175s

In about 10 seconds (3:05), this guy narrowly misses getting his pant leg caught by the screw. Sure, it's not spinning that fast, but he'd be hosed if it gets caught. Gives me shivers, especially with how cavalier he is about the whole thing.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

"It's a living!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Until they get a log full of ants.