Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Her campaign failure is my favorite thing about this hellscape of a primary. Inject the “beehive” tears straight into my veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Warren has a stump in healthcare, there’s at least two videos of her giving this stump, and it goes like this: “the ACA is a product of the Heritage Foundation and and Mitt Romney and it got a ton of amendments and for all that reaching out Republicans gave it no support.”

It always concludes with “everything should be on the table.”

It’s disappointing in that it doesn’t aspire to dream very high, but it seems appropriate because healthcare policy is a very Congress thing. Nobody with any level of enthusiasm about single payer will likely be able to keep the party together in Congress. This is the part of governing where goons always post that picture of LBJ looming over a guy and whine about how the executive only gets to act like an emperor when they’re a Republican. And that’s not a shock because conservatives like strongmen and like hierarchies.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I know bernie is going to win because look at this smooth rear end loving handshake

This is a better metric to use than all of the post-debate analysis i have read.

Please pay me lots of money now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kYCRMS4_pA

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I suspect both will be introduced at the same time. The mental health bill is likely to spend far less time in committee, to see far fewer amendments, far more likely to be passed back to the original house that introduced it unchanged, and will almost certainly proceed more quickly through any revision review process.

If she were President its worth remembering Warren will not "do" either bill, she will only support them, and Congressional dems have a lot of factions who will probably "want" something in exchange for a big bill like m4a (reassurances of some sort of nothing else) but will be letting to let a smaller bill pass through pretty much unchallenged.

Even a Congress that passes m4a before midterms, it will probably take a few years from beginning to genuine implementation (and almost certainly at least the same year and a half the ACA took to pass). The mental health bill, like I said, shouldn't need that at all, its very possibly a few-months-and-done deal. Just by virtue of the size and scope of the respective bills and how much time they'll spend in committee before reaching the floor if nothing else.

And if the m4a bill does look like its gonna pass super fast somehow the mental health bill will just be ignored and never reach the floor like countless bills are.

Kind of weird that the candidate with all the smart plans is making goons guess and suspect what her plans actually are, no?

Unless her plan for healthcare is to crowdsource a plan for that

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I was under the impression she has explicitly said she supports Bernie's plan?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Hellblazer187 posted:

The Castro pile-on is so loving transparent and stupid (and will totally work). "Did you forget what you said two minutes ago?" is not an explicitly age related attack, it's only being read as such because everyone knows that Biden's brain is pudding. If anyone else contradicted themselves, he could use that line and it would just be like, catching someone in a shifting position.

Ugh everything is so stupid.

Ya it’s amazing that the supposed ageism dogwhistle can be heard so clearly but the white supremacy bullhorns going off as Biden talked about how lovely black families are at raising their own didn’t grab much attention.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Warren: I support Bernie’s plan.

Rando: Is Bernie’s plan the one you’ll try and pass?

Warren: See healthcare is about our values...

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Here's a fairly level-headed take on Warren's healthcare position.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That article basically directly reflects my own opinion. It feels like she's using language intended to give herself plausible deniability. If her real position were to push Sanders' MfA bill as her healthcare plan, I would expect for her (and her website) to directly speak about and emphasize details from the bill itself.

As is, even the most generous interpretation of her words/actions is one that leaves me thinking "why should I take the risk when I'm 100% confident that this other candidate will make a genuine effort at passing it (or at least pushing forward the time-table on doing so)?"

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I'm sure Warren personally believes in M4A (I'm not but work with me) but why the gently caress do I care what she personally believes? She's running a campaign and it is complete radio silence on the subject from her campaign. It's not that she's overlooking it or doesn't understand it, she just doesn't support it. Stop looking for signs that she might actually be a sleeper agent for the left She is Elizabeth Warren, capitalist to the bone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

That article basically directly reflects my own opinion. It feels like she's using language intended to give herself plausible deniability. If her real position were to push Sanders' MfA bill as her healthcare plan, I would expect for her (and her website) to directly speak about and emphasize details from the bill itself.

As is, even the most generous interpretation of her words/actions is one that leaves me thinking "why should I take the risk when I'm 100% confident that this other candidate will make a genuine effort at passing it (or at least pushing forward the time-table on doing so)?"

Oh, I figured it out.

Warren supporters are the audiophile types who will insist that a 7th generation copy of a copy of a copy audio cassette tape offers the best quality for audio.

Why bother with the genuine article?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Phone posted:

Oh, I figured it out.

Warren supporters are the audiophile types who will insist that a 7th generation copy of a copy of a copy audio cassette tape offers the best quality for audio.

Why bother with the genuine article?

Warren supporters buy the gold plated monster cables is what i'm hearing.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Which means Biden drops to number 2 ahead of Warren storming to 3rd place.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

Which means Biden drops to number 2 ahead of Warren storming to 3rd place.

Take a look at who they polled, it’s actually hilarious.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I was under the impression she has explicitly said she supports Bernie's plan?

She says a lot of things, some of which contradict other things she says, and she's never explicitly resolved that, which is why your posts are full of "hm I guess" "well maybe she" "well I think" "hmm I suppose", none of which you would need to say if her position were as explicit and clear as you insist.

E: the Jacobin article fool_of_sound posted does a good job pointing out the vague and mixed messaging her campaign has been sending out

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 13, 2019

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1172534621101285377?s=19

At this point I genuinely believe the corporate media is doing everything they can to make Biden the Dem candidate so that Trump can essily beat him and guarantee 4 more years of record profits for news stations/papers.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Hellblazer187 posted:

The Castro pile-on is so loving transparent and stupid (and will totally work). "Did you forget what you said two minutes ago?" is not an explicitly age related attack, it's only being read as such because everyone knows that Biden's brain is pudding. If anyone else contradicted themselves, he could use that line and it would just be like, catching someone in a shifting position.

Ugh everything is so stupid.

They have "Biden is old" so embedded in the back of their minds, they projected onto Castro. They did the same thing with Ilhan Omar when she said that Lindsay Graham was "compromised".

"Oh, you think they have something about his sexuality?"

Never said it, but it was in the back of their mind when she said it.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/17/18187084/ilhan-omar-lindsey-graham-compromised

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It almost makes me like Castro. Is he a sucky centrist type though?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/JacobRForster/status/1172374666658213888?s=19

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-pool-in-1962/

:wtc:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Pretty much, yeah. He's shifty on M4A, and his record as HUD secretary was terrible.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Castro has never had a meaningful political character. He'll happily get on board with whatever.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

So Biden's life inspired SE Hinton?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I think on a list of all the possible reasons for Warren hedging on Healthcare, a rabid ideological devotion to capitalism ranks pretty low.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah, figured as much. Still, I have to take his side on this one. It's some bullshit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

:chanpop:

No loving way

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
M4A means there’s a government health policy that accepts anyone.

“But what about...”
Anyone.

Isn’t hard.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1172534621101285377?s=19

At this point I genuinely believe the corporate media is doing everything they can to make Biden the Dem candidate so that Trump can essily beat him and guarantee 4 more years of record profits for news stations/papers.

No, they want Biden because they both know that he won't actually change anything of substance and are dumb loving idiots who think he's the best shot at beating Donny. A doddering fool who spends their days eating applesauce in the White House dinning room is super fine. Donny's biggest issue is that he's being a real in your face rear end in a top hat while eating that applesauce.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/CaraKorte/status/1172646489186635776

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

God that got hard to watch at the end, real awful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Office Pig posted:

God that got hard to watch at the end, real awful.

makes me wanna throw everyone against universal healthcare into the deepest darkest pit.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It feels especially gross coming hours after Yang’s lottery bullshit.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
This is news to ya'll? Of loving course disabled people will kill ourselves when thrown to the wolves. Of course we already die from lack of healthcare. Of course we're already exposed to the innumerable barbarities of private healthcare. If people gave half a poo poo about those with disabilities or chronic illness, every loving executive and lobbyist who keeps this loving death machine in motion would be in the Hague. My health has gotten worse recently and its been difficult to adapt. I need to attend uni right now because I can only afford college with my scholarship, which I have to use up within the next two years. Our lovely public transportation makes it hard to get on/off campus. If I want to drive there I need a parking pass (which costs money). If I dont want to pay, well gotta go to the DMV with a doctor's rec! Not even mentioning the absurd cost of my medicines. This is the tip of the iceberg. Were I not from a middle class background, I would 100% be dead. I have a friend in a very similar situation.

If you vote for someone not staunchly for M4A, your apathy is pure evil. Take your means-testing and shove it up your rear end.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

I think on a list of all the possible reasons for Warren hedging on Healthcare, a rabid ideological devotion to capitalism ranks pretty low.

Yeah crazy to consider that someone who is proud to be "a capitalist to my bones" might have some kind of ideological commitment to capitalism. That's out there man.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

Castro has never had a meaningful political character. He'll happily get on board with whatever.

yea Castro's short amount of time has actually been fairly unremarkable. Nothing great but also nothing that bad per say. He has some good things like decriminalizing border crossing and all, I don't love him but I see him as someone we could likely push into being not terrible just because his family are such power hungry ghouls they'll do whatever.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah crazy to consider that someone who is proud to be "a capitalist to my bones" might have some kind of ideological commitment to capitalism. That's out there man.

Yeah she has an ideological commitment but it's not her first and foremost principal, or else she wouldn't be a social democrat.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Castro's willingness to call out Obama's immigration policy makes him more courageous and more principled than most non-Bernie candidates.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

joepinetree posted:

Castro's willingness to call out Obama's immigration policy makes him more courageous and more principled than most non-Bernie candidates.

yea at the very least, as bloodless as he can be on other things, he seems to actually want serious immigration reform and has no issue calling out all bad actors out.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah she has an ideological commitment but it's not her first and foremost principal, or else she wouldn't be a social democrat.

To her bones is pretty first and foremost. She can't stop calling herself a capitalist and has probably never called herself a social democrat.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nearly killed em! posted:

To her bones is pretty first and foremost. She can't stop calling herself a capitalist and has probably never called herself a social democrat.

Yeah I'm fairly sure she would correct anyone who actually called her that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Social democracy is Warren's method of saving capitalism from itself.