Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

PirateDentist posted:

For a different topic, it was announced a while back that we're moving to Ivanti for our ticket system sometime next year. Anyone have any experience with it? Our current setup is what I'd loosely define as "Hot rear end" that my company doesn't control at all, so I don't think it can get really worse really. Just a different flavor of terrible.
We use Ivanti for our patching and application management (a product they bought previously known as LANDesk). It's... not great. But maybe their ticketing is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I've got a director who went off reservation and has decided we need to add a convertible laptop to our fleet. Not a Surface, which we already technically support. Not a slate or tablet, not something like a monitor+digitizer like a Cintiq...but the convertible, stylus-enabled version of our cheap as poo poo 13" ultrabooks that everyone hates. I finally got my hands on a representative unit yesterday, including the top of the line stylus Dell produces. Unlike the Surface, which has an unpowered stylus, or the Apple Pencil, which is rechargable, it takes a AAA battery. The battery goes under a friction-fit cap at the "eraser" end of the stylus. I have deft artist hands, and I nearly cracked the loving thing trying to get the battery inserted. Also, there's no retainer for the stylus, aside from the sides of the base being magnetized (but not the screen, so lol if you have things plugged into the USB/USB-C ports!) But there is a lanyard loop! On the cap. Which is removable and only stays attached via friction.

I would utterly destroy those styluses just through idly playing with them while I'm focused on some other task, just to keep my hands busy.

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.
I sadly dont have much backend configuration experience for Ivanti(formerly frontrange HEAT), but I will say one of our clients has a nice config. We are just one team in the mix and compared to the premerger software, Altiris, and our parent companies software, TrackIT, I prefer Ivanti.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Unlike the Surface, which has an unpowered stylus

Did they change the stylus at some point? My SP4-included pen uses a AAAA battery and connects via bluetooth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's like the IT corollary to House MD's, "everyone lies": "users will break poo poo." If it's not bolted down, it will end up in pieces somewhere, and no one will be able to tell you what happened. One thing I learned from doing IT in an earthquake prone area was how to use velcro tape to secure things so they wouldn't go anywhere...which reminds me, I have a freestanding 7' rack in my apartment that I should probably do something about before Mt. Hood blows up or some such poo poo.

I've got a director who went off reservation and has decided we need to add a convertible laptop to our fleet. Not a Surface, which we already technically support. Not a slate or tablet, not something like a monitor+digitizer like a Cintiq...but the convertible, stylus-enabled version of our cheap as poo poo 13" ultrabooks that everyone hates. I finally got my hands on a representative unit yesterday, including the top of the line stylus Dell produces. Unlike the Surface, which has an unpowered stylus, or the Apple Pencil, which is rechargable, it takes a AAA battery. The battery goes under a friction-fit cap at the "eraser" end of the stylus. I have deft artist hands, and I nearly cracked the loving thing trying to get the battery inserted. Also, there's no retainer for the stylus, aside from the sides of the base being magnetized (but not the screen, so lol if you have things plugged into the USB/USB-C ports!) But there is a lanyard loop! On the cap. Which is removable and only stays attached via friction.

There's no way this doesn't end with my team getting hammered on our internal social network for replacement styluses and break-fixes on poo poo we've never supported :psyduck:

So break it good and hard then. It's a test unit and that's what you should be doing to it. Run that bastard device into the ground, and take a budget to your boss showing just how much extra you'll be paying in replacement parts regularly if you use them vs something decent. You either fix the problem or your rear end is soundly covered.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So break it good and hard then. It's a test unit and that's what you should be doing to it. Run that bastard device into the ground, and take a budget to your boss showing just how much extra you'll be paying in replacement parts regularly if you use them vs something decent. You either fix the problem or your rear end is soundly covered.

I like the way you think :hai: I wonder if a comedy compilation video of the various ways I make this thing fail would be value add for management or just for me and the provisioning analysts who have heart palpitations every time I tell them there's new hardware on its way.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Did they change the stylus at some point? My SP4-included pen uses a AAAA battery and connects via bluetooth.

Does it? I know mine's Bluetooth, but I wasn't aware there's a battery in it. digs in laptop bag Well I'll be damned, TIL! It's got a much more robust twist-lock cap, though, and generally feels less breakable (I mean, I didn't even know the end was removable, so that's some decent engineering). The part of the cap that clips into the barrel is quite a bit longer and has a metal retention bumper inside.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was also gonna say I remember my stylus for my S3 worked fine and had that wacky battery in it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

LethalGeek posted:

I was also gonna say I remember my stylus for my S3 worked fine and had that wacky battery in it.

I think I assumed it was like the old Wacom Intuos style stylus that worked entirely by EMR.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

See those are all increasing the scope out of IT and leaving wiggle room. The way I learned it allows a lot of zen-like wisdom to be gleaned.

Rule 1 means there is a problem, the user is not lying about this. It makes no assertions about what that problem is, what caused it, or if it is anything other than the user's incomprehension... it just states that the problem exists.
Rule 2 means you don't troubleshoot the problem the users tells you exists, you make them show you the problem. That way you determine if it's a layer 8 issue, or something you actually need to fix. It also has security/reliability implications, whereby the less the user is trusted to do, the less they can gently caress up and lie about.

Exactly!

PirateDentist posted:

For a different topic, it was announced a while back that we're moving to Ivanti for our ticket system sometime next year. Anyone have any experience with it? Our current setup is what I'd loosely define as "Hot rear end" that my company doesn't control at all, so I don't think it can get really worse really. Just a different flavor of terrible.

Ivanti is...okay. We use it and it's not the best thing ever, but it's better than CA SDM. It's a web interface for a database, basically, so it can be buggy and slow as poo poo; there's also a lot of different ways to confuse yourself as well as users (Service Requests and Incidents both contain Tasks).

Thanatosian posted:

We use Ivanti for our patching and application management (a product they bought previously known as LANDesk). It's... not great. But maybe their ticketing is better.

We just recently started using Ivanti's Endpoint Manager and it's pretty solid. There's a LOT of loving work to set it up to where it's useful, though. It does support PXE imaging which is nice!

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 12, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a thread for headsets, or a good place to ask about them? I glanced over Inspect Your Gadgets, but didn't see a particular thread for them.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

See those are all increasing the scope out of IT and leaving wiggle room. The way I learned it allows a lot of zen-like wisdom to be gleaned.

Rule 1 means there is a problem, the user is not lying about this. It makes no assertions about what that problem is, what caused it, or if it is anything other than the user's incomprehension... it just states that the problem exists.
Rule 2 means you don't troubleshoot the problem the users tells you exists, you make them show you the problem. That way you determine if it's a layer 8 issue, or something you actually need to fix. It also has security/reliability implications, whereby the less the user is trusted to do, the less they can gently caress up and lie about.

This is wisdom.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is there a thread for headsets, or a good place to ask about them? I glanced over Inspect Your Gadgets, but didn't see a particular thread for them.
I didn't dig too deep but I needed a headset that connected to a PC and could send commands (answer phone) so I ended up on a Logitech G933 for my WfH deal. All the proper commercial ones from like Plantronics were way more money than I cared to spend. The major flaw is plugging the receiver directly into the PC kills the range but a 6' USB extension cord fixed that. I've had 2 different callers at work ask me what I use since they said I sounded clear and wanted to get their own. Also works with a lot of non PC systems apparently.

Most importantly the battery compartment is easy to access, unlike a lot of poo poo I've dealt with in the past. Oh and I was surprised when I could plug another source directly into the 3.5mm jack on the headset & operate the wireless connection at the same time.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 13, 2019

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
A ticket came in:
A portion of the network is down.

So...... I work at a small company, with a small network. Months ago I asked my boss if I could put a lab switch's management port on the network, so I could configure it remotely. He said sure. I asked, "what IP address?". He replied "192.168.x.y is free I think, but ping first, just in case."

So that's what I did and everything worked.

A month ago, he installed a new switch on the network.

Yesterday, I spent some time reconfiguring the lab switch remotely.

It wasn't the lab switch I was configuring.

No, I didn't backup the config. And yes, my boss is on vacation and is unreachable.

Edit: I never saved the config changes. One simple reload and everything is good again. I'm just gonna... not touch anything else for the rest of the day.

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 13, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Had a very weird case come in from a customer today.

They could connect to their CMS system via SSH fine, and by CMS supervisor fine on their local machine, but when they tried it from a server that has a bunch of automation scripts it didn't work.

What was weirder was that if they tried to get the server to contact the primary CMS not the secondary, it worked fine, but whoever made these scripts years ago hard coded some details, so pushing to the primary wasn't an option.

Anyway, I give the customer a couple starting points to check, and then after lunch he calls and up and tells a colleague I can close the case.

It was DNS.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The haiku of IT strikes again

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The haiku of IT strikes again

It was funny, because as soon as I heard, that's what I thought of, but we next to never handle DNS, that's the customers problem, and most of the systems we set up use IP addressing not FQDN

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mehall posted:

and most of the systems we set up use IP addressing not FQDN

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagghhh

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
This thread makes a breakdown actually seem like vacation

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

nitrogen posted:

This thread makes a breakdown actually seem like vacation

You joke, most of my vacation time gets used covering for mental breakdowns where I just can't DO anything for 4-6 days at a time. They only happen a couple times a year, but holy poo poo I could really use actual planned vacation time instead of these "hide in my house and do nothing while I try and get my head back together" staycations. If we got actual sick time (three loving days) I could use that instead, but I accrue a loving 3.3 hours of vacation time every pay period (2 weeks).

At least when I get my promotion in a couple months I'll move to salaried, which puts me on the "unlimited PTO plan"

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An application was migrated and now has connectivity issues. A bridge was opened yesterday and is still going, network connectivity is fine.

Place your bets on it being DNS here

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagghhh

oh, i'm aware of that being it's own mess of issues, don't get me wrong, but I think most of the blame falls on Avaya there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sprechensiesexy posted:

An application was migrated and now has connectivity issues. A bridge was opened yesterday and is still going, network connectivity is fine.

Never doubt the haiku:

It's not DNS
There's no way it's DNS
It was DNS

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Let's assume it's something with more failure modes, like people, first. Only then rely on experience.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ConfusedUs posted:

Never doubt the haiku:

It's not DNS
There's no way it's DNS
It was DNS

It was WINS

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

It was WINS
Why did you have to go ahead ruin a perfectly good day

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Moey posted:

It was WINS

God drat it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Moey posted:

It was WINS

I remember the feeling I felt every time I killed an IPX/SPX node or a WINS device in favor of a pure TCP/IP + DNS solution.

Best feeling in the world.

Finally pulling IPX from my last router? Goddamn IT heroin.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Agrikk posted:

I remember the feeling I felt every time I killed an IPX/SPX node or a WINS device in favor of a pure TCP/IP + DNS solution.

Best feeling in the world.

Finally pulling IPX from my last router? Goddamn IT heroin.

Plz put it in my veins by EOB thx in advance.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Moey posted:

It was WINS

Mods mods!

Get that evil out of here.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I didn't know what WINS was offhand and when I Googled it, the first results were 1990 Era Clipart PowerPoint-equivalent slides about it. I recoiled in horror and closed the browser.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

DelphiAegis posted:

I didn't know what WINS was offhand and when I Googled it, the first results were 1990 Era Clipart PowerPoint-equivalent slides about it. I recoiled in horror and closed the browser.
You probably got infected with the GeoCities virus

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The worst part about that virus is gaining a sexual attraction to purple monkeys.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

The worst part about that virus is gaining a sexual attraction to purple monkeys.
And under construction gifs

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Do you know how hard I worked to put that under construction gif up on my website!? Days I tell you! Days!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DelphiAegis posted:

And you know what a synonym for recoil is

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Heners_UK posted:

Do you know how hard I worked to put that under construction gif up on my website!? Days I tell you! Days!

I would not be surprised to find out that more effort was collectively put in to under construction pages for personal web sites than actually constructing the things.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

No under construction for me. I just loaded up my site with the Diablo font and various hellfire gifs. :colbert:

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I suddenly have the urge to join a token (web) ring.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A couple thousand alerts came in...

Overnight it appears that the Gateway AV on our firewalls decided that Windows Update traffic was some random Trojan, so I woke up to a Inbox completely packed with alert emails. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Most Important Legal Document This Century
Most Important Legal Document This Century_01
Most Important Legal Document This Century_02
Most Important Legal Document This Century_final
Most Important Legal Document This Century_final_01
Most Important Legal Document This Century_use_this_one
Most Important Legal Document This Century_use_this_one_02