Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Latitude Ocotpus
Nov 17, 2009

Borrovan posted:

How is it? I've been doing SaySomethinginWelsh, finding it pretty good for getting basic vocabulary down without overthinking verb conjugation & poo poo, but it's not much good for sentence structure. Thinking of getting my bosses to fund me doing some proper classes, but idk if I've got time

It does a good job of starting you slow and building up ( which is pretty common for Duolingo I have found) you can pick up a lot of rules from context clues in the sentences they choose.
I find it really good but like I said we had Welsh lessons at least once a week my whole childhood so sentence structure etc comes easier to me. It is surprising me how much I remember !

Edit catte tax - good boy Bilko you have been gone too long

Latitude Ocotpus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:toot:

Reveilled posted:

I was deeply disappointed I couldn't go to the Welsh planet.
Me every time the train stops to change at Crewe.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Firos posted:

:siren::siren:NEW POD ALERT:siren::siren:

Get your pod, fresh from the hot takes mine. In a bonus episode this week we cover yet more of the stupid parliamentary shenanigans and the prorogation thereof. We also go through the ultimate libdem fightback article and I get really upset the whole way through.

Really starting to like this, need to get caught up, eps 1+2 were great.

deano fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 14, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I skipped a thousand posts, di I miss anything of note in the last... 2 days?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

tithin posted:

We're a Caliphate now

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

tithin posted:

either some serious political poo poo went down or someone had an opinion about food

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Angepain posted:

either some serious political poo poo went down or someone had an opinion about food

The only bad monster munch is roast beef

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

feedmegin posted:

We're a Caliphate now

Sadiq Khan's name should have been a warning, in hindsight.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

tithin posted:

A massive bunch of nerd poo poo about Terry Pratchett

Thetobester
Jul 14, 2012

tithin posted:

Two podcasts. They were good. One was infuriating.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

quote:

-how will you like it, say we stay in the EU, if a future government just of their own volition has a referendum on leaving without asking anyone?

Pretty sure the LibDems will give us little of a poo poo about democracy as we've come to expect from them actually

Thetobester posted:

Two podcasts. They were good. One was infuriating.

I apologise to everyone on behalf of the group for not being able to keep up the bantery good-humoured tone through the DWP episode. We wanted to but once you start talking about that poo poo it's just impossible :smith:

But there are alternatives to this shitshow and we will get there!

Rarity fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 14, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think that second tweet is pretty loving braindead. The Commons can only not hold this broken minority government indefinitely against its will because sooner or later there will have to be a General Election.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Rarity posted:

We wanted to but once you start talking about that poo poo it's just impossible :smith:

But there are alternatives to this shitshow and we will get there!

I'll probably check out the podcast over the weekend now, but the grimmest thing I saw was a suicide note from a man who had prevented a stabbing but had ended up cut himself and afterwards couldn't handle confrontation and he was saying how little things like early morning access to leisure centres and bus travel and poo poo was cut and he was unable to stand up for himself and appeal it due to his disability and he just had 0 quality of life now, even if he could just about afford to not starve and not freeze and it broke my loving heart because these are the people society is meant to protect and gently caress the tories, all of them, regardless of their brexit stance. And gently caress the lib dems too.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Liberals are loving stupid

Is that some sort of extraordinary revelation?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've started learning Welsh as it seems useful and I'm not sure I'll be moving out of Wales anytime. The girlfriend is fluent in it and we have a tutor who comes to my work which will help as I'm dyslexic and also stupid.

Wales is nice, I've definitely grown to appreciate the beautiful parts of it whilst being very frustrated in how underfunded the complete lack of support it has and that's not even mentioning the North end of the country.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

You guys are making me miss Wales (even though I'm from Cardiff which everyone hates apparently :dance:)

I can sing the national anthem and say (but not spell hah) the longest word train station thing, and say enough phrases to impress my clueless Canadian friends, but I always wish I'd stuck with learning Welsh at school.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I put butter on pasta before putting marinara on it to give it a buttety taste on the non covered pasta

Delicuous

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Flipswitch posted:

I've started learning Welsh as it seems useful and I'm not sure I'll be moving out of Wales anytime. The girlfriend is fluent in it and we have a tutor who comes to my work which will help as I'm dyslexic and also stupid.

Wales is nice, I've definitely grown to appreciate the beautiful parts of it whilst being very frustrated in how underfunded the complete lack of support it has and that's not even mentioning the North end of the country.

You're not stupid

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:qq:

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1172642731551862787?s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Did they not treat Blair nicely?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
War criminals well known for being given 100s of hours of tv screen time to air their poo poo views with minimal challenge (insert Blair joke)

efb :argh:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Oh for fucks sake, because of course they did.

Government advert uses images of slave ships to promote UK sea trade.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/13/tone-deaf-ads-use-slave-ship-images-to-promote-uk-sea-trade

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MartinBelam/status/1172511766934429696?s=19
https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1171878181264953344?s=19

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/13/tone-deaf-ads-use-slave-ship-images-to-promote-uk-sea-trade
"Needless to say, we apologise if any offence has been caused."

Wwwow. Not only is it one of those terrible sorry-you-were-offended half-apologies, they shove "needless to say" in front of it as if they don't actually need to apologise and you should somehow infer an apology from the rest of what they said.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1172596340905467907?s=19

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Accidentally revealing and Correct about British history. Gove is furious - writing a letter of complaint as he vibrates and rapidly shifts through the colour spectrum

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CGI Stardust posted:

Accidentally revealing and Correct about British history. Gove is furious - writing a letter of complaint as he vibrates and rapidly shifts through the colour spectrum

He's angry because they've accidentally revealed the future, not the past, and the true source of the Brexit Dividend - once we're free of the figurative shackles of EU regulations the literal shackles get taken out of storage.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FT/status/1172565851586945026

This is... probably not a good sign. I mean yeah gently caress pawnbrokers but I'm going to say if even they can't find profits in this economy we're pretty loving hosed.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Wow that's a lot of people learning Welsh, I've been learning it on Duolingo from scratch (only basis being I know how some of the sounds are pronounced because I looked them up as a kid) and I thought I was very much alone doing so. I don't live anywhere near Wales but I've always loved the country and the look of the written language.

Sounds like I'm going to need to find a tutor though. Like someone else said Duolingo doesn't do anything to explain the rules behind consonant mutations and the like, and while it does have sections on regional variations they are extremely basic.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's angry because they've accidentally revealed the future, not the past, and the true source of the Brexit Dividend - once we're free of the figurative shackles of EU regulations the literal shackles get taken out of storage.
Gove history knowledge combined with the Cummies imaginary: use the new government big data initiative for quantified phrenology. Every year, stack rank the population, clap the lowest-scoring 10% in irons, and ship them to the DRC for rare earth mining. Visionary.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

He's too much of a narcissist to boycott the BBC for long, sadly.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

kingturnip posted:

He's too much of a narcissist to boycott the BBC for long, sadly.

It's just another "I'm being silenced" bullshit that lets him go on a press tour of every tv channel and newspaper to spout more propaganda.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Wow that's a lot of people learning Welsh, I've been learning it on Duolingo from scratch (only basis being I know how some of the sounds are pronounced because I looked them up as a kid) and I thought I was very much alone doing so. I don't live anywhere near Wales but I've always loved the country and the look of the written language.

Sounds like I'm going to need to find a tutor though. Like someone else said Duolingo doesn't do anything to explain the rules behind consonant mutations and the like, and while it does have sections on regional variations they are extremely basic.
Definitely go for a tutor mate, it's a really different(?) language to learn. As someone who has tried to learn Russian for years (badly) and Somali, it's very different.

Barry Foster posted:

You're not stupid
Thanks but let's not say anything we can't take back now. :v:

E: There's way more Welsh goons than I thought there would be! That's pretty cool.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 14, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Flipswitch posted:

E: There's way more Welsh goons than I thought there would be! That's pretty cool.
Goonmeet in the capital. No, the real capital. You know the one I'm talking about.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

big scary monsters posted:

Humane euthanasia would be favourite.

Podcast chat: the latest episode was good as a look into the UK's lovely welfare, its motivations and effects and some practical advice. But I thought it could have been nice to go into a little in the way of solutions and alternatives too. I know the episode was already pretty long and UBI was mentioned briefly, and another episode on the topic might be in the works, but I also wonder if looking at other welfare systems might be interesting. Certainly other places in Europe do more or less the same thing a little better (I have some experience there), some places do it worse or have nothing at all. Are there places with radically different approaches to welfare and, if so, what are the outcomes there?

Yes! The show notes did include a couple of things to look into, Gman was going to give us an idea of some continental ones and Coohoolin a little knowledge of the Swiss system, but we were well pushed for time and decided to cut that section before we even recorded it. It’s definitely for a future episode though, possibly in the UBI episode, though it might well hold up on its own as an episode.

I’m glad everyone’s enjoying it, but please don’t get too used to two episodes a week :negative:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what’s a good charity to donate a bunch of women’s clothes? women’s shelters? in the london area

i don’t want to give it to some bullshit red cross charity shop

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bump_fn posted:

what’s a good charity to donate a bunch of women’s clothes? women’s shelters? in the london area

i don’t want to give it to some bullshit red cross charity shop

https://www.emmaus.org.uk/ do good work with homelessness, they’re generally my first choice.

If it’s specifically good quality women’s clothes then a shelter sounds a good idea though - although I don’t happen to know any.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean to be fair, it wasn't an important issue until Cameroid lit the fuse and then it became very loving important indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Goonmeet in the capital. No, the real capital. You know the one I'm talking about.
Rawson?