Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nosre posted:

Anyone ID what deficiency this is? On lemons in pots

I think that’s nitrogen deficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hmm, maybe. Yellowing for sure is, though from some reading it seems like the typical pattern is reversed (ie the veins stay green and the leaf turns yellow first; mine is the opposite)

Example from online

Either way I'm probably overthinking it because I know they're overdue for fertilizer

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The veins turn yellow first because the plant is pulling nitrogen from old growth to use elsewhere. Iron, zinc, and manganese show the opposite pattern (interveinal chlorosis) and only on new growth because they are immobile within the plant.

That’s the idea, anyway.

Cold soil and girdling could cause symptoms like you’re seeing, but I rather doubt either is happening here.

Overwatering is sufficient to do it, but it sounds like you’ve had the tree long enough to know how thirsty it is and that the yellowing is recent.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Neat, thanks. I fell behind on fertilzing these things cause I've been procrastinating figuring out how to use granular fert in pots, but I found this recipe to turn it into a drench:

quote:

You simply soak your granular organic fertilizer in water, let it sit for 24 hours, and strain out the liquids. This works equally as well for store-bought granular organic fertilizers (like my favorite, Gardner and Bloome!) as it does for homemade fertilizer recipes. Here’s what to do.

-Use 1 cup of fertilizer for each gallon of water.
-Soak the fertilizer in the water, and let it sit for 24 hours. Stir periodically.
-Strain out the solids, and use the liquid as a fertilizer at a rate of 1 to 2 cups per perennial, 2 to 4 cups per shrub, or 6 to 8 cups for trees.
-The liquid can be used full strength for foliar feeding/ spraying on leaves, or can be diluted with a small amount of water to make sure the entire root zone of the plant is evenly covered. For container plantings for example, I would use 1 to 2 cups per gallon and simply soak the entire pot.
-There is no need to waste the solids, which still have nutrient value. Use them as a low powered fertilizer on established landscape plantings which only need a mild boost.

1 cup to a gallon seems like a lot? Gonna try it though I guess

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Anyone have experience growing CA native plants in containers? I have a patio that gets full sun April-October (north facing) and a small yard that is partly sunny, and I'm on year three of killing sage and lavender. I just can't figure it out, although this year has been more successful than last. I'm starting to think the key is to take the sun down a notch from what they would want in the ground, i.e. sage that loves full sun when ground planted should get only part sun in a container. But its still a mess.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Nosre posted:

Neat, thanks. I fell behind on fertilzing these things cause I've been procrastinating figuring out how to use granular fert in pots, but I found this recipe to turn it into a drench:

It does sound like a lot. The liquid fertilizer that I've been using is on the order of a tablespoon-ish per gallon (can't remember exactly what). But it may be that the granules have a lot less fertilizer per volume, since they need binders and stabilizers and like slow-release stuff or whatever.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

The ones I have bought at Home Depot have been ready to replant, both in the US and Canada

Ok thanks! I figured as much, the small ones come in pretty tiny super-thin plastic pots. Now I just need to get a good pot and soil mix.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My elephant ears got huge and are over 8' tall now. Please feel free to admire them. I think it's super cool that they aren't woody and get that huge. We didn't get a really hard freeze this yr so I never cut them back.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nosre posted:

Eeyo posted:

It does sound like a lot. The liquid fertilizer that I've been using is on the order of a tablespoon-ish per gallon (can't remember exactly what). But it may be that the granules have a lot less fertilizer per volume, since they need binders and stabilizers and like slow-release stuff or whatever.

The key is that you’re not pouring that whole gallon on a plant.

For soaking, the instructions have you diluting again at up to one part concentrate to eight parts water, so it ultimately works out to two tablespoons of granules per gallon.

Let’s check that.

I have Miracle‐Gro Shake ’n Feed that I wish were a liquid. NPK concentration is 12‒4‒8

I look up the data for Miracle‒Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food. It’s exactly double in concentration, at 24‒8‒16. It’s supposed to be used at one tablespoon per gallon.

quote:

With a Watering Can: Mix 1 tablespoon of Miracle-Gro® for every gallon of water.

For All Flowers and Vegetables: Use 1 gallon for every 10 square feet of flowers and vegetables, every 7 to 14 days.

For Roses: Use 1/2 gallon for small bushes. Use 1 gallon for large bushes. Feed every 7 to 14 days.

For indoor plants, mix 1/2 teaspoon (not tablespoon) per gallon of water. Apply every 2 weeks. We do not recommend foliar (leaf) feeding for houseplants.

So for the same concentration of nutrients, I would need two tablespoons of the granules, same as your source suggested for the upper end of the range.

This assumes that the nutrients in the granules are soluble and they pack as densely in the tablespoon as the powder does. Neither of these are likely to be true, and they err on the side of underfertilising. Knowing that, I would definitely use the upper end of the recommendation, i.e. two cups of concentrate per gallon for outdoor plants.

For indoor plants, the soluble Miracle‐Gro instructions suggest using one‐sixth the amount. Make of that what you will. The more a plant is growing, the more nutrients it needs.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 3, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My 24-year-old mama pothos is putting up beautiful new growth at the soil. :3: Tomorrow I'm going to give her a dab of Osmocote and top off the pot with a little new soil, then add the new moss totem and see if I can't train her upward.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

The key is that you’re not pouring that whole gallon on a plant.

For soaking, the instructions have you diluting again at up to one part concentrate to eight parts water, so it ultimately works out to two tablespoons of granules per gallon.

Let’s check that.

I have Miracle‐Gro Shake ’n Feed that I wish were a liquid. NPK concentration is 12‒4‒8

I look up the data for Miracle‒Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food. It’s exactly double in concentration, at 24‒8‒16. It’s supposed to be used at one tablespoon per gallon.

So for the same concentration of nutrients, I would need two tablespoons of the granules, same as your source suggested for the upper end of the range.

This assumes that the nutrients in the granules are soluble and they pack as densely in the tablespoon as the powder does. Neither of these are likely to be true, and they err on the side of underfertilising. Knowing that, I would definitely use the upper end of the recommendation, i.e. two cups of concentrate per gallon for outdoor plants.

For indoor plants, the soluble Miracle‐Gro instructions suggest using one‐sixth the amount. Make of that what you will. The more a plant is growing, the more nutrients it needs.

This is good info but I can't tell which parts you're replying to me (and my source talking about 1 cup / gallon), and which parts are directed at Eeyo and his 1 tablespoon / gallon source :(

I understand that liquid stuff is way more water-soluble, and, since the granules have variable performance, liquid fertilizers into water are more likely to be correct on the order of tablespoons, while solids might be appropriate in cups

I'm using a solid, so more, but on the other hand, I'm looking to fertilize indoor pots, which would suggest cutting the dosage by 1/6. Confounding that, my initial source said 1 cup for outdoor trees and shrubs, but then it says for container plantings use 1-2 cups / gallon (so, more)?

On the third hand, the granule mix I'm looking to use up is only 7-3-6, less concentrated than any of the above examples.

This is so confusing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sorry, I just didn’t read the latter half of the directions you posted :doh: I believe it’s asking you to make a concentrate of 1 cup granules in 1 gallon of water. Then use like 1 cup of that per gallon to actually water your plants. So the original 1 cup has 16 tablespoons of granules. The gallon you dilute that concentrate to has 16 cups, so 1-2 tablespoons of granulated fertilizer per gallon (once diluted).

Sorry for confusing things.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hey, no problem, it's a process (added fun for me is I'm in belgium and my french, which all the directions are in, sucks)

Previous fertilizers I've used I've been able to just soak the whole pots through without overdoing it, which is convenient, but if I have to only give them one cup of the solution at a time to avoid risk, I can do that :)

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

cheese posted:

Anyone have experience growing CA native plants in containers? I have a patio that gets full sun April-October (north facing) and a small yard that is partly sunny, and I'm on year three of killing sage and lavender. I just can't figure it out, although this year has been more successful than last. I'm starting to think the key is to take the sun down a notch from what they would want in the ground, i.e. sage that loves full sun when ground planted should get only part sun in a container. But its still a mess.

What zone in California? It's tricky if you're in chaparral, they all really hate containers. I'm in SF and basically nothing from around here can go in a pot, it'll just die.

content: my new Ming Aralia and my stupid African violets that refuse to bloom. Apparently I'm into old lady plants lately.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 4, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Haven't updated on the patio dudes in a while.

The Carolina Jasmine is doing great. I'm probably leaving Knoxville after december and moving to atlanta for rotations, and I'm going to be bringing this one with me. I just don't want to cut her from the railings. If i stayed in knoxville she would bloom next spring. I'm not gonna lie, that thought has passed through my mind as a reason to stay. But gently caress this town.

Here's another picture of the Jasmine. Reason it's such a big deal to me is it's my mother's favorite flower, and she bought it when my brother died for his funeral. She tried growing it later when I was growing up, but this poo poo attracts hella bees.

Here's another picture of the left side the patio. You can see, the Tuberose has bloomed again, but the fragrance isn't as strong. Also she's growing to seed, and I'm not sure what that means. My other tuberose (far left) never really got going. In the red pot I've got a bunch of radishes growing. They grew well in my gutter planters, but the actual radishes were very small. I'm hoping a larger growing area will produce bigger ones.

Here's the right side. As you can see, the ghost peppers on the left are growing like hell. The bell pepper plant is huge; about 4 feet tall. He doesn't produce hardly anything though, and when he does they stay small and won't turn red. It's gotta be about root space. I'm not sure if you can see, but the jalapeno plant is full and ill need to pickle them soon. towards the right you can see some banana peppers that are huge. again, i need to pickle them.

The zinnias. my god the zinnias. They are all getting 2-3 feet long, and just grow like idiots. and i have trimmed several of them for their flowers. they're quickly becoming my 3rd ish favorite thing ive grown.

The gutter plants have done fantastic. On the left, you can see the flowers I have growing and they're all doing well. On the right, the middle used to be onions who got huge but produced no..onions....due probably to space restrictions. The bottom was cilantro who all sprouted, took one look at the sun, and promptly died.

You can see my morning glories that have grown up the ropes. They're doing fantastic just from those little bucket planters i have hanging on the balcony. They flower every morning and are fantastic.

Also at the top you can see the gourd that has grown across the porch. He's yellow because he's sick but still alive. I swear there's just something that kills squash on my patio. You can see on the previous right side I've tride to start a couple more gourds but they're just sick as hell.

Just a different picture of my impatiens and coleus growing in one of those cloth hangers. Not a huge fan of them tbh, especially in this heat. you can also see another gourd plant that has started to take over.

And of course, the gourd. But I have not one, but TWO gourds now! Honestly surprised I don't have more. I think the trick with them is growing like 10 of them. Things to learn for next time.

All in all I'm really happy with how this garden has turned out. I've probably still got a couple months of growing, since you know global warming and all. I'm really excited to take everything I've learnd and make a small garden in Atlanta next year, then eventually back to Asheville where I am going to loving grow crops.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
That’s an excellent little garden my dude! Be proud!!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Random question: anyone here have any experience/tips on successfully air layering a plant?

I have a 3 foot tall Dracaena fragrans that has been losing ground. I think that it may have gotten too much direct sun. There is one green tip high up on one stem, and I'd like to give that a new start if I can.

I've read about air layering, but I've never actually done it before.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TofuDiva posted:

Random question: anyone here have any experience/tips on successfully air layering a plant?

I have a 3 foot tall Dracaena fragrans that has been losing ground. I think that it may have gotten too much direct sun. There is one green tip high up on one stem, and I'd like to give that a new start if I can.

I've read about air layering, but I've never actually done it before.

I would be surprised if crocoduck in the bonsai thread couldn't give you some good advice, they've been posting less though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464693

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I would be surprised if crocoduck in the bonsai thread couldn't give you some good advice, they've been posting less though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464693

Thanks!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

It's spring now here in Australia, which means I can finally start sowing these 2000ish cacti and succulent seeds........

(where the hell I'm going to keep the 1500ish adult plants that come about as a result of this is an issue I'll worry about... eventually.)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
That's so cool. I'll definitly uh... plant any of either of those seeds you dont want! Where did you get so many??

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Sunflowers are way too much fun!

You’re looking at a mix of Autumn Beauty, Italian White and Velvet Queen.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 6, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

elgarbo posted:

It's spring now here in Australia, which means I can finally start sowing these 2000ish cacti and succulent seeds........

(where the hell I'm going to keep the 1500ish adult plants that come about as a result of this is an issue I'll worry about... eventually.)

I grew some once! Good luck with them. Cactus sprouts are ridiculously tubby and cute.

Not my original photo - it's from The Laid-back Gardener.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thursday evening I had three monarch chrysalises, but on Friday morning only one was left. I am fairly certain that they did not hatch as (1) I don't see any remnants of them and (2) one went into chrysalis a full week before the other. What feeds on butterfly chrysalises at night?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 7, 2019

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I dunno, but something also ate the monarch that had set up to pupate right next to my front door. :( I was so stoked to get the chance to watch it day by day

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mice or rats? I dont know if birds would eat it at night but they would during the day. Also lots of insects. Bummer, sorry

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Mice or rats? I dont know if birds would eat it at night but they would during the day. Also lots of insects. Bummer, sorry

I ended up placing an additional pot under the last one, thus raising it another 6" from the ground, but between 9pm and 2am, it too had disappeared.

:negative: I'm sorry I failed to protect you :negative:

And I will have my vengeance on the perpetrator, in this life or the next.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

theHUNGERian posted:

I ended up placing an additional pot under the last one, thus raising it another 6" from the ground, but between 9pm and 2am, it too had disappeared.

:negative: I'm sorry I failed to protect you :negative:

And I will have my vengeance on the perpetrator, in this life or the next.

It doesn't seem to be a good year for Monarchs :(

I'm on the easternmost US flyway and have a patch of milkweed that usually gets Monarch visits and 10-20 chrysalises each year; this year, nothing.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Update on my little plant shelf,

Its going very well, the jade on the left is coming back after a bout of some type of illness.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Jestery posted:

Update on my little plant shelf,

Its going very well, the jade on the left is coming back after a bout of some type of illness.

They look good! I love jade plants.

Reminds me of a question: has anyone here ever tried one of those prefab polycarbonate greenhouses like this one)?

Is wind an issue? They're clearly not as full featured or durable as a purpose-built one would be, but I have been wondering if one of them might let me putter with my plants a little bit longer next year, and maybe start to try out the idea of a more permanent one eventually.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

A company I used to work for sold assembly for stuff like that. Yes, wind is very much an issue. You want to have them installed on a level concrete base you can drill anchor poles into to keep it secure.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

They look good! I love jade plants.

Reminds me of a question: has anyone here ever tried one of those prefab polycarbonate greenhouses like this one)?

Is wind an issue? They're clearly not as full featured or durable as a purpose-built one would be, but I have been wondering if one of them might let me putter with my plants a little bit longer next year, and maybe start to try out the idea of a more permanent one eventually.

Every review I've read says wind is an issue if you get more than a light breeze. I looked at them for a while but am either going to just build my own with 2x4's + plastic sheeting or give up and take winters off.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Thanks, both of you!

I'm not too surprised that wind would be an issue, especially since the framework doesn't seem to include diagonals for strength. The idea of a concrete pad is interesting and I could see how that would add stability. I'd have to hire that out, but it might be doable. Since wind is a thing that exists just about everywhere, it sounds like a pad is the only practical way to go. I sure wouldn't want to be trying to break the greenhouse down every time a storm is forecast.

I once saw a homebuilt one that was a geodesic dome, which was stable as heck and interesting looking too. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to make one like that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I just bought a bunch of native plants at the local annual big native plant sale and planted them this evening! Please wish them luck! The volunteer I spoke to said they were good for my area and shade tolerant but I have never been good at keeping plants alive so they may need it.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Has anyone successfully grown hydrangeas from a cutting started indoors during the winter? I’m reading that they do better when started by a cutting outdoors.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

I just bought a bunch of native plants at the local annual big native plant sale and planted them this evening! Please wish them luck! The volunteer I spoke to said they were good for my area and shade tolerant but I have never been good at keeping plants alive so they may need it.

Water them in (unless they specifically shouldn't be lol) is advice I've been given before and good luck!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My imperial red philodendron has grown quite tall and the soil is draining fast, so I think I need to repot it. I don’t have a picture right now but I found this one here that is similar:

The red lines are where the soil goes up to on mine, and mine is a bit taller and can still support its own weight.

If i change the soil, can I bury it deeper so that it’s less awkwardly tall (and some of the stems connecting the leaves would be underground) or am I suppose to keep it the way it is?

I also want to propagate my monstera but there are only two growing vines and both have gigantic leaves. If I cut off one of the end leaves with the node… will the mother plant keep growing on that vine or will it just stop? I’m not sure if ‘vine’ is the correct wording but I mean the thick thing from where all new leaves branch off from.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Water them in (unless they specifically shouldn't be lol) is advice I've been given before and good luck!

I did my best to! I'm a bit worried about how much I should be watering them after this since the advice online is either for in summer or winter rather than spring, but it's going to be sunny with very little rain for the next while so I guess I'll just go with the summer advice and also try and observe them and water accordingly.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm starting work on a herb garden if sortsim going to dig in my compost in a couple weeks and make a herb garden

At the moment a passion fruit vine to makemuse of all the sun in this location

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So one of my inlaws works at a green house and shes given me a euphorbia ammak. They tossed it in the trash due to rot, so she gave it to me to see if i can salvage that I can.

I cut off some 5 of the arms, let them callous for a week and then tried potting them in dry cactus mix. But two of them had spots before I put them in the dirt, two of them have developed spots yesterday, so 1 of them is left. Anyone have any suggestions?

https://imgur.com/a/0GhicSL