Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

oh drat I didn't know you could do this

Oh yeah, they only require level. You should be able to get Shamir, Catherine, Alois, Hanneman, and Manuela right away. You also have Seteth now and he's really strong and a Wyvern Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Harrow posted:

If you haven't already you can probably get Felix. He wants two if the things Byleth is best at (swords and strength) and is also an extremely good character. If you're playing female Byleth, Sylvain is a free recruit, too.

Sylvain is both my favorite character in the lore and is an essential member of my team.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, they only require level. You should be able to get Shamir, Catherine, Alois, Hanneman, and Manuela right away.

Oh right on, I'll go and talk to them right now. Thanks team.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fadam posted:

Yeah they only require levels.

You can easily grab Hanneman, Manuela, Catherine, Alois, Shamir and Cyril

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

Sylvain is both my favorite character in the lore and is an essential member of my team.

You gotta recruit his best friend and tsundere boyfriend Felix

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat, at first I was mad I lost two of my starters, but now my roster is fully sick.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

fadam posted:

You can also recruit Cyril but I’m not sure how useful he’ll be on that route

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is there any point to doing church route if I've done the other 3? People are making it sound like a GD recap but also you betray Edelgard like a giant rear end in a top hat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is there any point to doing church route if I've done the other 3? People are making it sound like a GD recap but also you betray Edelgard like a giant rear end in a top hat

There are a few extra lore reveals and Seteth gets more screen time. It's mostly very similar though, with one fewer chapter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Some of the cutscenes that were in GD make more sense on Church but it covers largely the same ground and you don't even get a lord to hang out with.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's mostly you replacing claude and seteth railroading the hell out of you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

fadam posted:

on the Church route the entire faculty will automatically join up with you if they haven't already, outside of Gilbert

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Yinlock posted:

on the Church route the entire faculty will automatically join up with you if they haven't already, outside of Gilbert
fortunately, gilbert is a terrible unit, and as such, his absence will not be missed

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently you can recruit Alois on Edelgard's route too?

Whooooops

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah the units you can't recruit per route are:

Blue Lions: Edelgard, Hubert, Claude
Golden Deer: Edelgard, Hubert, Dimitri, Dedue, Gilbert
Black Eagles Church:Edelgard, Hubert, Dimitri, Dedue, Gilbert
Black Eagles Edelgard:Claude, Hilda, Dimitri, Dedue, Catherine, Cyril, Gilbert, Flayn, Seteth

On Blue Lions Lorenz leaves post time skip but can be rerecruited. On Golden Deer Ashe leaves post time skip but can be rerecruited. Lysithea is recruitable on Black Eagles Edelgard in part 2 if skipped in Part 1 by defeating her with Byleth or Edelgard.

Notably Shamir, Manuela, Hanneman and Alois are basically free recruits you can get on every route to fill out your roster.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Apparently you can recruit Alois on Edelgard's route too?

Whooooops

It kinda makes sense since Alaois seems far more invested in protecting Jeralt's kid than in the church.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The church route has the best final map music so it's worth it for that at least :colbert:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm at the War of Eagle and Lion rn and what the hell have these kids been eating :stare:

e: Rhea can I please enroll Cyril in my class I seriously need his Point-Blank Volley right now

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
What is the trick to ensuring 1 turn kills on enemies on hard difficulty. Byleth, Petra, and Edelguard are the only ones aside from mages that can reliably pull them off and without combat arts.

I feel like I must have failed to build my other characters properly. Is it just the strength stat what is key?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Yeah the units you can't recruit per route are:

Blue Lions: Edelgard, Hubert, Claude
Golden Deer: Edelgard, Hubert, Dimitri, Dedue, Gilbert
Black Eagles Church:Edelgard, Hubert, Dimitri, Dedue, Gilbert
Black Eagles Edelgard:Claude, Hilda, Dimitri, Dedue, Catherine, Cyril, Gilbert, Flayn, Seteth

On Blue Lions Lorenz leaves post time skip but can be rerecruited. On Golden Deer Ashe leaves post time skip but can be rerecruited. Lysithea is recruitable on Black Eagles Edelgard in part 2 if skipped in Part 1 by defeating her with Byleth or Edelgard.

Notably Shamir, Manuela, Hanneman and Alois are basically free recruits you can get on every route to fill out your roster.

both Ashe and Lorenz leave during the skip on the church route but can be rerecruited with anyone

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DropsySufferer posted:

What is the trick to ensuring 1 turn kills on enemies on hard difficulty. Byleth, Petra, and Edelguard are the only ones aside from mages that can reliably pull them off and without combat arts.

I feel like I must have failed to build my other characters properly. Is it just the strength stat what is key?

it all comes down to their speed, mostly

look at your equipment weight, you'll often be able to hit an enemy twice with a weaker weapon

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

fortunately, gilbert is a terrible unit, and as such, his absence will not be missed

Gilbert can be kind of unintentionally funny. Like if he gets a 3-4 stat level up he says something like “Perhaps I’m not completely worthless.”

Chill out dude; you got Strength and Defense. I’m happy.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Chapter 7 was pretty tough but a lot of fun. It wasn't as scary as it looked at first glance (still plenty tense though) since securing the ballista area early gives you a lot of advantage. I'm glad I got Weight -3 on Ashe in time, it allowed him to avoid doubles from the Pegasus Knights so he could deal with them early.

Also there just had never been an opportunity for me to use Lord Dimitri, because Canto and movement has been so important. Kind of a pity.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

Gilbert can be kind of unintentionally funny. Like if he gets a 3-4 stat level up he says something like “Perhaps I’m not completely worthless.”

Chill out dude; you got Strength and Defense. I’m happy.

It's funny when people are sad about getting like a str/spd level. That's good! That's all I want from you!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

professor metis posted:

It's funny when people are sad about getting like a str/spd level. That's good! That's all I want from you!
That's why Echoes's lines based on what they got rather than number of stats they got were a better option, though of course that requires way more lines.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

will the day where Nintendo of America doesn't choke badly on anything involving LGBT+ stuff ever come

i'm so tired of being frustrated at localizations i otherwise like because they fumble gay/trans stuff so badly
it wont come because anytime they do people act like the reason this stuff is downplayed is because the japanese are homophobic, and anytime you point out it was changed in localization people get mad at you like you're some guy getting wound up about the sylph censorship in ff8

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

You can get Hilda if you A rank them before the last month pre timeskip. However as you can't give them gifts or even ask the recruit question it's half luck if they join you.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
What controls when an adjutant unit steps in with the follow-up attack? Is it just like a flat ~1% chance per round?

Does an adjutant provide the same support bonuses it would if it were standing next to the unit? NB I am not asking whether adjutants gain support.

Can you use, say, the Frozen Lance combat art with something other than a lance? Are the melee combat arts per-weapon? Asking for Marianne as a pegasus/falcon knight with a levin sword.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

drunkencarp posted:

What controls when an adjutant unit steps in with the follow-up attack? Is it just like a flat ~1% chance per round?

Does an adjutant provide the same support bonuses it would if it were standing next to the unit? NB I am not asking whether adjutants gain support.

Can you use, say, the Frozen Lance combat art with something other than a lance? Are the melee combat arts per-weapon? Asking for Marianne as a pegasus/falcon knight with a levin sword.

i dunno what triggers adjutant follow-ups, though i always wondered if it had anything to do with support ranks

also combat arts are tied to weapon types themselves so you can't use frozen lance with a sword or hexblade with an axe or whatnot. though if your marianne is a pegasus/falcon knight with a levin sword she should be perfectly serviceable, especially once you do her paralogue and get her busted magic relic sword

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

it wont come because anytime they do people act like the reason this stuff is downplayed is because the japanese are homophobic, and anytime you point out it was changed in localization people get mad at you like you're some guy getting wound up about the sylph censorship in ff8
I like to imagine that every time someone casually accuses the entire Japanese archipelago of being homophobic, someone on a Japanese forum says the same thing right back. "You know what those Christian countries are like. They'll never catch up."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Frustratingly enough it seems to be a thing with Nintendo's localization branches in general. For whatever reason the NOE branch decided to tone down a character who was explicitly a lesbian into merely implied being one in Xenoblade 2's localization.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not treehouse or NoE's company, it's Nintendo itself. Even Atlus, who third-partied localized TMS and 8-4 who did Awakening, toned down stuff the same things in recent games like Xenoblade and FE.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

funny how "censorship" is always when a blouse covers cleavage by 2 more pixels and never when LGBT relationships are made toothlessly platonic or erased outright

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Araxxor posted:

Frustratingly enough it seems to be a thing with Nintendo's localization branches in general. For whatever reason the NOE branch decided to tone down a character who was explicitly a lesbian into merely implied being one in Xenoblade 2's localization.

Which one of the various ambiguous lesbians? The water elemental ether cannon, can't remember her name right now?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people never care about this poo poo because localization changes has been successfully made into an 'us vs them' issue where if you dislike changes you're a gamergater

the dub of dragon maid added tons of poo poo to downplay the lesbian relationship at its core ('you do realize im a girl, right?' changed to 'I'm not interested in other women,' lots of random added lines where she asks the other woman not to touch her), and the translator for that dub literally said lesbians are all entitled babies who don't understand writing, but they added a random dunk on incels so its cool and nobody cared.

Omobono posted:

Which one of the various ambiguous lesbians? The water elemental ether cannon, can't remember her name right now?

Sheba. In Japanese she talks about wanting a harem and is explicitly sexually interested in other women, in English she just talks about wanting an 'entourage' and more just vagueflirts. It's still pretty explicit considering her entire gameplay gimmick revolves around women, and I can get that the word 'harem' implies some weirdness if you aren't familiar with its use as a descriptor for an anime trope, but you could massage that stuff without downplaying the fact that she's here to get laid.

Generally Nintendo just seems to view gay stuff as like, 'comic mischief' that sometimes requires downplaying so a game doesn't come across 'too horny' or whatever. like they view sheba wanting to take a bath with sexy ladies and the grandpa dragon dropping a line about pyra being sexy on the same level. but those two things are very different if you take like, literally any social context into account. But they don't seem to.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 14, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah, that's who I meant. Those changes were basically as obvious and idiotic as making Uranus and Neptune "cousins".

E: and I don't understand a lick of Japanese. It was that obvious.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

Generally Nintendo just seems to view gay stuff as like, 'comic mischief' that sometimes requires downplaying so a game doesn't come across 'too horny' or whatever. like they view sheba wanting to take a bath with sexy ladies and the grandpa dragon dropping a line about pyra being sexy on the same level. but those two things are very different if you take like, literally any social context into account. But they don't seem to.
I don't know what they're afraid of. If Nights of Azure 2: The Bride of the New Moon: The New Moon Is Also a Woman can get away with an ESRB T, surely anything can.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tora is also toned down, who comes across as outright a predator pedophile as the game progresses.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

Tora is also toned down, who comes across as outright a predator pedophile as the game progresses.

That is, to be fair, a good change.

Not as good as it could be, by, say, deleting Tora (and his minigame) entirely. But a good change.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 14, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Mokinokaro posted:

You can get Hilda if you A rank them before the last month pre timeskip. However as you can't give them gifts or even ask the recruit question it's half luck if they join you.

Whaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

tbf tora comes across like hes 15 so he comes across more like a horny anime teen than anything really predatory, but yeah, I have no issues with some of the changes with tora.