Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I don't have anywhere to fish until I get my boat built out, and that won't be until over the winter.

Send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Find a section of bank, cast away, catch feesh.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

bleh, I could keep hitting these ponds I've been going to but I'm pretty sure they're just about fished out.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Get a map out and hike a little to find something different? Pull a City Fishing or whatever that show was and go around your town to all the docks you never thought there would be lunkers and see what's lurking?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I think I'm going to order my first soft plastic mold next paycheck. Plans are to try using as a version of a trick worm with a floating plastic blend. Should be interesting.

https://anglingai.com/ts111-05-5-5kicker-tail-worm-mold/

Biggest thing I'm looking for at the moment is a good injector with a locking tip and preferably a handle. Then I need to track down old school pyrex measuring cups, a micronuculater, a good ventilator mask a bunch of odds and ends supplies.

This is alotta money and work to make baits because I can't buy exactly what I want otherwise. :sigh:

If it makes a difference, I'm going to be setting up for soft plastics this winter and I can probably help you out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If it makes a difference, I'm going to be setting up for soft plastics this winter and I can probably help you out.

I’ll buy you the big hoochy pattern if you do. Also some sort of 3-4inch grub with tail.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ll buy you the big hoochy pattern if you do. Also some sort of 3-4inch grub with tail.

Definitely!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lemme know if you are looking for a particular style of lure kobold. I've been slowly collecting mold maker's sites to keep an eye on for interesting stuff. But my first few are strictly going to be baits I wanna have. Also, lemme know if you find an injector with a locking tip AND a drat handle. I have yet to find one thats not an addon for overpriced af. :argh:

LingcodKilla posted:

https://www.btsmolds.com/grubs/8-swim-grub-with-hook-slot

Why stop at 3-4? Why not 8 inches of grub? :getin:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 9, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

Lemme know if you are looking for a particular style of lure kobold. I've been slowly collecting mold maker's sites to keep an eye on for interesting stuff. But my first few are strictly going to be baits I wanna have. Also, lemme know if you find an injector with a locking tip AND a drat handle. I have yet to find one thats not an addon for overpriced af. :argh:

https://www.btsmolds.com/grubs/8-swim-grub-with-hook-slot

Why stop at 3-4? Why not 8 inches of grub? :getin:

Too big for a teaser hook. Sadly.

Nice site.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh drat, I found the one I was actually looking for!

https://anglingai.com/8-single-tail-grub-mold/

Honestly, I just wanna get good enough to start doing a laminate in the future. I wanna recreate the perch pattern keitech has in their swimbaits and expand it to other stuff.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Any advice for a fly tying vise? The prices on them go from sane to nuts really quick. I'd prefer not to spend hundreds of bucks on one, but I dont want to low ball it too hard and have a frustrating time.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm moving to Seattle on October from the Midwest and I'm thinking getting into fishing might be a fun way to get outside. Any resources on Seattle/Washington fishing to help someone who hasn't really been fishing since he was 10?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

captkirk posted:

I'm moving to Seattle on October from the Midwest and I'm thinking getting into fishing might be a fun way to get outside. Any resources on Seattle/Washington fishing to help someone who hasn't really been fishing since he was 10?

oh we have such sites to show you

Where in seattle?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Had a blast with the rock bass this morning. Bass are so much fun

captkirk posted:

What are you into? Lake or river or salt? Fly or cast and retrieve or bait? Boat access? Driving limited? There are so many options you can get anything, really. Even green lake got stocked with fuggin tiger muskie lmao.

Also you can always go hit up outdoor emporium and shoot the poo poo with people who work there

Edit: if you havent been out in a long time I really want to show you what catching a big dogfish is like

Lingcodkilla for some reason I thought you moved. It's about sea run cutty time baby!! Best fishing in the NW imo

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 10, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

oh we have such sites to show you

Where in seattle?

I'm moving into the Fremont area.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What are you into? Lake or river or salt? Fly or cast and retrieve or bait? Boat access? Driving limited? There are so many options you can get anything, really. Even green lake got stocked with fuggin tiger muskie lmao.

Also you can always go hit up outdoor emporium and shoot the poo poo with people who work there

Edit: if you havent been out in a long time I really want to show you what catching a big dogfish is like

I'll have a car after a couple of weeks but no access to a boat. It's been a long time since I've fished but when I was a kid it was mostly fresh water (river and pond) bait fishing but no experience with fly or cat and retrieve.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lingcodkilla for some reason I thought you moved. It's about sea run cutty time baby!! Best fishing in the NW imo

I’m in town until late December then gone for 11 months to new fishing grounds (the med!).

And hell yeah just a few miles from my house I have good access to shores where the cutthroats run.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Hell yeah dude. Rock bass are so freaking cool! They are hands down one of my favorite fish to randomly hook.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Gooch181 posted:

Any advice for a fly tying vise? The prices on them go from sane to nuts really quick. I'd prefer not to spend hundreds of bucks on one, but I dont want to low ball it too hard and have a frustrating time.

What type of flies are you going to be tying?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

King of Bees posted:

What type of flies are you going to be tying?

I know for sure I want to be able to whip up nymphs and wooly buggers. Terrestrials would probably be nice as well, but I'm so new to fly fishing that it's tough to give you a solid answer.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I use a cheap-rear end travel fly tying kit because I like how it all fits in a ~ 4"x8" box.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I decided to splurge on the best sub-$150 vise I could get, which was the stonfo airone. You can find it online for pretty good prices on sale. It’s compact, easy to set up, and has a great vise clamp for even midges down to 22.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

whopper ploppers are on sale at cabela's, grabbed a few sizes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Welp, I am back in Florida for a trip. My fishing license is still valid, so I think I'll try to get out to the estuary.

I want to pick up a new light tackle spinning combo. I love my beater daiwa dshock, what's a good step up from that? Looking to spend about a hundred bucks, probably less. 6lb line, mostly freshwater but I'd like salt hardiness.

Already have an UglyStik, wouldn't mind another one if that's the best in the price range.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 13, 2019

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I took the kayak out tonight to try and do some spotlighting for gars. Ended up with 3 gars, but saw plenty more. I think the issue was that I was using a head torch, there's a bunch of videos showing them being attracted to underwater lights so I've ordered a flounder light to see if that helps.

There was heaps of life out there, some big flatties that were either too deep to net or too wary for me to get the net under, a huge snook that would've been as thick as my arm, some small whiting, big mullet, heaps of baby rays and puffers. I scooped up a few puffers to make them inflate and also went for the tail grab on some banjo sharks that were chilling out in the shallows.

The downside was I managed to snap the handle of the rudder lever so I'll need to sort out a replacement for that somewhere.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol. That's awesome. Do you ever gig for flounder? That's something I want to try

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Haha holy poo poo that's different for me, nice

King of Bees posted:

Lol. That's awesome. Do you ever gig for flounder? That's something I want to try

I drift and jig with a herring all the time for bottomfish using a salmon mooching rig. Super easy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

King of Bees posted:

No, but now a flounder light is in the post I might start. There's plenty of good spots for floundering near me too.

Everywhere I've drawn in red is shallow a long way out and probably holds shitloads of them.

I think I'll mainly focus on the gars though, they make amazing baits and being out on the water in the kayak on a glassed out night is awesome.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

gay picnic defence posted:

I think I'll mainly focus on the gars though, they make amazing baits and being out on the water in the kayak on a glassed out night is awesome.
This actually sounds teeeeeeeerrifying.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's cool as heck man.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

No, but now a flounder light is in the post I might start. There's plenty of good spots for floundering near me too.

Everywhere I've drawn in red is shallow a long way out and probably holds shitloads of them.

Wanna spear them flatties!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm going river salmon fishing next weekend, thinking about getting a rod and reel for it because my only spinning setup is ultralight. Anyone have any recommendations? If it's something that could do double duty for pike or lake trout or just as an extra bass rig too that'd be great.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I've said it a billion times, but I love my st croix eyecon rod, and pflueger president xt.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Lemme know if you are looking for a particular style of lure kobold.

I'm planning on starting out with pretty standard, multipurpose molds (twist tail grubs, senkos, etc) and trolling lure skirts at first. I'd like to make some of the weird creature designs someday, but I don't even know how to fish those. I'm stoked to talk shop with you, though!

captkirk posted:

There are a handful of fishing goons out here. You're going to be near Green Lake, too, which has a lot of stocked and holdover trout, some bass, and loving enormous carp and channel catfish. Last summer a guy caught a 45 lb channel cat:

Even green lake got stocked with fuggin tiger muskie lmao.

I read that in one of my guidebooks, but as far as I can tell they stocked some in there like 20 years ago and haven't since. I'd be shocked if there were any left, but anything's possible.

quote:

That offer open to anyone, sailor? :wink:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ghostnuke posted:

I've said it a billion times, but I love my st croix eyecon rod, and pflueger president xt.

Thanks, bit out of my price range for something that I won't use often but I'd love to get a st croix for my main bassin rig at some point.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I adore my Ark Sniper and Abu Garcia MGX setup for all around baitcaster work. I bought the reel 6ish years ago, the rod this year. Just a match made in heaven. :swoon:

Edit: And the Megabass Levante ML spinning rod I got a few months back has been absolutely awesome. I just wish I could decide on a reel for it. I keep bouncing between a 2000 size Daiwa Tatula or Kaga and a 13Fishing Prototype X. For now the 6 year old Abu Garcia Revo Inshore size 30 reel is doing work on its own though.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 19, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I caught my PB smallest fish today out of the Grand River. You know when you throw a spinner or a spoon and all those baitfish follow it in but they're too small to bite it? One bit it. Gotta respect him for it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress. Two days ago the coho were boiling the water 10ft from shore in town and I didn’t have my rod. Yesterday, nothing.
I had my rod.

Stupid fish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress. Two days ago the coho were boiling the water 10ft from shore in town and I didn’t have my rod. Yesterday, nothing.
I had my rod.

Stupid fish.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

My flounder light arrived today, I'm off to the hardware store to get the parts for an extra long kage gaff to use as a spear.

I'm basing it on this:

https://anglerwithin.com/how-to-make-a-spear-gaff/

Good chance I'll have put the thing through my foot before the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

My flounder light arrived today, I'm off to the hardware store to get the parts for an extra long kage gaff to use as a spear.

I'm basing it on this:

https://anglerwithin.com/how-to-make-a-spear-gaff/

Good chance I'll have put the thing through my foot before the end of the year.

That's dope as hell. As soon as some things fall off the to-do list I'm going to get into gigging as well. Keep us posted!