Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Did anybody not already know that about Beck though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I knew he had a Nazi program on TV but that's about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hirayuki posted:

He's a Scientologist.

it's harder to hold it against him than most because he was basically raised in the religion by his batshit crazy parents, tbh

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I didn't realise they had Chipotle back then.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

purple death ray posted:

It's news to me but following his life and career hasn't exactly been a priority in life.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Inceltown posted:

It's news to me but following his life and career hasn't exactly been a priority in life.

what a strange post

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

MariusLecter posted:

Beck the musician is criminally underrated.

Nah, he's a loser

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

es un perdedor

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
bebé

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IiLZ0dvDWU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
There's no tax on food in my state (Michigan), so it blew my mind when I found out there are states that do tax food purchases.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can burts a bloodvessel in your eye(s) by puking, coughing, sneezing, SHIDding, and/or FARDing too hard.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

There's no tax on food in my state (Michigan), so it blew my mind when I found out there are states that do tax food purchases.

In California there is a sales tax levied on food prepared hot or cold food prepared and eaten on the premises, but not on cold food when taken to go. This means that at Subway you do technically pay extra if you want your sandwich toasted.

Edit: In case anyone was curious, it’s because sales tax is applied to finished product, and cold food taken to go was meant to encompass food that required extra steps (such as cooking) to be consumable. They didn’t make additional caveats such as ready-to-eat food that happens to be cold to keep categorization simple.

dirksteadfast has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Sep 13, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah in my state if you order food to go and then eat in it's technically tax fraud

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Yeah, in Michigan, the tax is applied at a restaurant, and I've seen it listed on the receipt as an eat-in tax.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
On top of all that, hot prepared food is blocked from EBT (food stamps) while cold prepared food is not. So many grocery stores will just make twice as much and throw half in the fridge while keeping the others warm and fresh.

This is part of the reason cook-at-home pizza exists.

If poor-hating assholes had their way, they would probably also take away benefits from anyone who is rich enough to own a microwave oven instead of a conventional oven.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

99.6% percent of those lazy fucks have fridges, you know, so

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

99.6% percent of those lazy fucks have fridges, you know, so

Lucky Duck!!! :bahgawd:

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

purple death ray posted:

Beck is someone I know exists as a public figure/musician but if you put a gun to my head I could not tell you a single thing about him or what he's done or what the guy even looks like. Even the most bland famous band I've never listened to I could tell you something about them just through cultural osmosis, but Beck is an actual black hole.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Beck is someone I know exists as a public figure/musician but if you put a gun to my head I could not tell you a single thing about him or what he's done or what the guy even looks like. Even the most bland famous band I've never listened to I could tell you something about them just through cultural osmosis, but Beck is an actual black hole.

He’s a little white dude who makes good music in a variety of genres. Try listening to Beck.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

beanieson posted:

He’s a little white dude who makes good music in a variety of genres. Try listening to Beck.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

drat you for making me look that up.

Ursula Le Guin is a really good author and you should read her books and say thank you instead of drat you

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah I also know nothing about Beck for some reason. I just know he's a musician and there's probably a guitar involved somewhere

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We are all one consciousness split into separate beings.

We are all Enya.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

And one day will will all rejoin to become Enigma

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I also know nothing about Beck for some reason. I just know he's a musician and there's probably a guitar involved somewhere

He has, or had, two turntables and a microphone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

And one day will will all rejoin to become Enema

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Beachcomber posted:

Where it’s at?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Picnic Princess posted:

We are all one consciousness split into separate beings.

We are all Enya.

I thought we were all one consciousness, experiencing itself subjectively.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The band name Dead Cross is a play on Red Cross (not to be confused with the band Redd Kross)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

wtf is Enigma, though? Besides the abstract concept or WW2 encryption machine? This is the first I've heard of any alternative.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The chanting in Enigma's world famous song "Return to Innocence" is sung by Taiwanese indigenous people known as the Amis.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I was at the same level of Beck knowledge but then one day I was in the car with my wife and the beefcake pantyhose song came on the radio and I said "Oh hey it's the beefcake pantyhose song by the beefcake pantyhose band." and she said "You mean Loser by Beck?" and I was like "Woah."

Oh and also he was in a crappy Futurama episode.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And a really good episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Beck owns, midnite vultures is my favorite Beck album. I didn't just figure this out though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

The chanting in Enigma's world famous song "Return to Innocence" is sung by Taiwanese indigenous people known as the Amis.

Yeah Enya was down smoking fat doinks in Amis country and heard it and stole it. That's how she gained their powers and became Enigma.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Moon Monster posted:

I was at the same level of Beck knowledge but then one day I was in the car with my wife and the beefcake pantyhose song came on the radio and I said "Oh hey it's the beefcake pantyhose song by the beefcake pantyhose band." and she said "You mean Loser by Beck?" and I was like "Woah."

Oh and also he was in a crappy Futurama episode.

It was actually a great futurama episode

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

No it wasn't

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
My first exposure to Beck was the video for Mixed Bizness. I kinda hated the song at the time, and didn't give him a second look until I downloaded Odelay out of a feeling of cultural obligation... last year. :shrug:

And yeah, he's really good, and definitely not someone you can get a feel for from one or two songs. I'd somehow managed to avoid hearing Where It's At all these years, and it was like, oh, so this is that "I've got two turntables and a microphone" song people are always referencing. :haw:

Derelict was the track that hooked me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rollersnake posted:

My first exposure to Beck was the video for Mixed Bizness. I kinda hated the song at the time, and didn't give him a second look until I downloaded Odelay out of a feeling of cultural obligation... last year. :shrug:

And yeah, he's really good, and definitely not someone you can get a feel for from one or two songs. I'd somehow managed to avoid hearing Where It's At all these years, and it was like, oh, so this is that "I've got two turntables and a microphone" song people are always referencing. :haw:

Derelict was the track that hooked me, though.

This video owns (it's also extremely 1999):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQfwgzoiq4c

Temaukel has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Sep 16, 2019