Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just don't think there's any way around the fact that this was one story told in two parts. I feel like it's not really fair to judge Infinity War on it's own now that the story has been completed.

I do understand why you feel like Infinity War was repetitive though, you're right that it's mostly just Thanos showing up somewhere, winning a battle fairly easily, and getting a stone. I can't really argue with that. But the post I was responding to was a specific complaint about the portrayal of Thanos and that someone that powerful came off as lazy because he didn't simply go after the stones directly right away. Well, the movies show you exactly why he preferred not to do that, because by drawing all this attention to himself Thanos sealed his own fate, if not for the Avengers involvement he would've simply Snapped half the universe out of existence and nobody would've been able to stop him or reverse what he'd done. The fact that he won a temporary victory over them doesn't change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

What movie was this?

I'm not giving them advertising for this poo poo. They had a character call the one black character a mongrel because his character came from a distant kingdom. I think this was filmed in the 90s? But that's no excuse. I dont care how this ends, this is too awful. Not even funny awful.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Glasses Optional posted:

Ostensibly he would have known about Odin.

Who else would he have known about that could pose a threat to him? Because it definitely feels like a saitama situation.

Thanos on his own is straight-up significantly weaker than Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch, which was shown in the movie. Dr. Strange is a capable but fairly new sorcerer and could probably beat him in a fight if he was carrying no stones. Hela from Thor: Ragnarok would wipe the floor with him. Presumably, even though they haven't been shown in the Marvel movies, there's cosmic stuff out in the universe like Galactus and the Silver Surfer that would easily dwarf Thanos' main superpower of "being a big tough purple dude." I never really got the feeling that the big battles against Thanos were meaningless or that the Avengers' loss was a foregone conclusion. Sure, he was stronger in a battle than most of the brute force-based Avengers, but in the final fight, if he hadn't had his big gunship to back him up, Scarlet Witch would have ripped him in half when she confronted him. A lot of the Avengers are just regular human beings with some skills and technology, anyway.

It's not really comparable to Saitama, who is so absurdly powerful that when he faces the One Punch Man universe's equivalent of Thanos (Boros, who's an intergalactic warlord sailing the universe in search of a challenge), he ends up taking pity on him and holding way back to pretend like he can't just dust him in a split second.

I did think splitting the Thanos story into Infinity War and Endgame led to Infinity War being extremely boring and Endgame containing huge amounts of talking to fill time though.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm not giving them advertising for this poo poo. They had a character call the one black character a mongrel because his character came from a distant kingdom. I think this was filmed in the 90s? But that's no excuse. I dont care how this ends, this is too awful. Not even funny awful.

If it's from the 90s I'm not sure why you are so concerned

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The real bummer about Endgame is that it didn't follow the ending from the comics where Thanos becomes a literal cosmic being after clowning all of the Avengers and random heroes trying to stop him, and while he's overwhelmed with hubris and trying to wrestle the personification of an actual galaxy Nebula yanks the glove off his unconscious physical form and uses it herself. It's especially weird because even in the MCU they really played up the insane abuse that Nebula took from Thanos her whole life that leads up to it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Is your irritation that it doesn't show things going bad for the people under the overpass or that people flocked there in the first place? Because people have been trained for decades now to seek shelter under overpasses (I certainly was--it is a popular myth) so I can understand why they would. In the former case, I take it the filmmakers believed the idea too.

I don't like dangerous myths getting propagated, and also it'd have been hilarious if it went realistic for a second and Pa Kent were the only human survivor

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don' think it was a coincidence that he showed up RIGHT after Asgard got exploded. He'd already taken out the Nova corp at that point, but went right for the Asgardians (which was a nice callback to TFA where Red Skull talks about the Tesseract being "The jewel of Odin's treasure room."), since he knew where it ended up after his army got blown up at the end of Avengers.

As far as characters in the MCU that could cause some grief to him, I'd say Hela probably, but more likely the Ancient One. She's been around for centuries and has been the sole reason Dormammu hasn't taken over yet. Once she bought it, he knew the time stone was up for grabs. No way Strange would have near the amount of experience/expertise as she did in that short a time.

Dormammu too, if he ever broke into the same reality as them again. And Peter Quill's dad who I can't remember the name of.

Really, it'd be nice to just pull the rug out from people every now and again. What if Avengers:Endgame had been an hour long because once Antman came back and they realized time travel wasn't complete bullshit like they (excluding Thor and Rocket Raccoon) thought aliens and magic was 10 years ago and then they do a three-year montage of everyone getting into shape, training, designing new weapons, making vibrainium armor for everyone and then they show up 6 minutes at the end of Infinity War on Thanos' getaway planet, kill him, take the stones and bring everyone back to life?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ego, who I bet would be mighty hungry for the infinity stones himself.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

food court bailiff posted:

The real bummer about Endgame is that it didn't follow the ending from the comics where Thanos becomes a literal cosmic being after clowning all of the Avengers and random heroes trying to stop him, and while he's overwhelmed with hubris and trying to wrestle the personification of an actual galaxy Nebula yanks the glove off his unconscious physical form and uses it herself. It's especially weird because even in the MCU they really played up the insane abuse that Nebula took from Thanos her whole life that leads up to it.

Yeah. Thanos’ self-doubt and sabotage is a big part of his character and I didn’t like that no one successfully exploited it. Original timeline Thanos’ last thoughts being satisfied and smug is just wrong.

Gamora being a character who we were rooting for instead of just some space rear end in a top hat means that her storyline couldn’t play out like the comic, but I missed seeing dumbass mortals mess up using the Gauntlet and having to scramble to deal with consequences, like re-zombifying themselves and reviving the space gods Thanos dealt with.

The movie needed to accomplish different things than the comic, mainly giving a bunch of characters a big send off, and not just be a more epic than usual event, but those are some things I missed.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Sep 13, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Armacham posted:

If it's from the 90s I'm not sure why you are so concerned

Oh sorry, I thought this was the irrationally irritating movie moments thread where people can complain about dumb things in movies:rolleye:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Usually they name the movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

By not naming the movie you make me want to watch it more.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A big part of the Thanos character is to be an rear end in a top hat to a person on their birthday. Every year. For literally no reason other than it's cruel.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that would have made me watch more MCU movies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

value-brand cereal posted:

Oh sorry, I thought this was the irrationally irritating movie moments thread where people can complain about dumb things in movies:rolleye:

Well, normally we discuss them. People agree, disagree, mention other movies it reminded them of, that sort of thing. But of course that requires people to have some concept of what the gently caress you are talking about. Your post as it stands is "I saw a bad movie." to which a reasonable response was "Oh really? Which one?" "I'll never tell, teehee!". If you dont want to talk about the movie, why did you post about it at all?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Plus it's not like there's any morons out there that would go out and pay to see the movie that you just spent an entire post dunking on it with how bad it was (although it certainly doesn't sound like my kind of bad).

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I saw a movie and something about it irrationally irritated me, but sharing more would just be playing into their hands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I saw a movie once and it was awful

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, Nebula not getting her closure was probably the worst part of endgame, I could go into great detail but honestly Nando V Movies already did that so basically imagine me typing this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0LIe1CDgQ

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was watching some Disney Channel movie last night (don't @ me) about the teenage children of various Disney villains and I thought it was some perfectly adequate turn-your-brain off entertainment with decent humor (eg Gaston's son having a tray of hard-boiled eggs in the cafeteria) but holy poo poo did it annoy me that the guy lead and the girl lead had absolutely zero chemistry but the girl lead's best friend and the guy lead had plenty.

I did not finish the film as it was just kind of a time-killer but I did wiki the ending and there's no plot line at any point where the guy and the other girl get together. I can't even say it was bad casting because aside from the total lack of chemistry thing the kids were all doing a good job with what they were given.

I'm sure this is a problem of plenty of other movies too but this one was just REALLY obvious.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Worst onscreen chemistry mismatch I can think of is What Dreams May Come. They're supposed to be this impeccable love that spans the boundaries of death itself but they look massively uncomfortable together onscreen. And not in a romantic or sexual way

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
A lot of people in the last few pages seem annoyed that a villain was difficult to beat, and that the fights made you think the heroes had a chance of winning.

Or to put it another way, a lot of people in the last few pages seem to not understand basic principles of storytelling

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

A lot of people in the last few pages seem annoyed that a villain was difficult to beat, and that the fights made you think the heroes had a chance of winning.

Or to put it another way, a lot of people in the last few pages seem to not understand basic principles of storytelling

Wow their irritations sure are irrational!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole point of Pa Kent is that he cares about Clark first and foremost, and knows that if the world finds out about his powers he's never going to be able to live a normal life again, people are going to be distrustful, jealous and afraid- as they demonstrably are. His own life is a small price to pay to make sure his son still has his freedom and privacy. Superman as an alternate identity is a compromise that Clark figures out as a result, knowing that he needs to give himself room to be a normal person as well as be a world-saving godlike alien, to have control over his life so he doesn't end up going crazy and has some time to himself. (They call it the Fortress of Solitude for a reason!)

I love MoS, really enjoy Kevin Costner in the role and certainly got the point of the scene but the execution was goofy as gently caress and there were a hundred better ways they could have gotten across the same message. Man of Steel is good but tornado scene is bad.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the heart attack would have been the way to go but if they HAD to have that stupid tornado scene in there, at least show him running behind everyone and then super speeding through the funnel to grab Pa, and then whoops, too late, Pa's gone and he learns he can't save everyone.

As it stands, pa died cause of a dog and his own paranoia.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Speaking of King Kong, the gently caress did they build a 50 foot wall to keep him out and then equip it with 40 foot doors? Big wall. Small doors. Do that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did they explain when Gaston had a kid? He was a seemingly eligible bachelor with no attachments in Beauty and the Beast.

And I know no one breaks hearts like Gaston, but this is a Disney movie we’re talking about. Are they really going to have bastard LeGumes running around?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of King Kong, the gently caress did they build a 50 foot wall to keep him out and then equip it with 40 foot doors? Big wall. Small doors. Do that.

Speaking of Kong even more, how the hell are they going to put him up against Godzilla? I don’t know if you’ve seen Godzilla and King Of The Monsters, but it’s just about within the realm of possibility that King Kong could fight the Godzilla shown in the first movie. Not win, mind you, but have a bit of a mid-movie knockabout before bringing out the real villains.
King Of The Monsters is so ludicrously over the top in terms of destruction wrought, there’s no way of presenting Kong as anything other than a minor nuisance compared to Ghidora et al.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maybe Kong's gonna get a training montage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Speaking of Kong even more, how the hell are they going to put him up against Godzilla? I don’t know if you’ve seen Godzilla and King Of The Monsters, but it’s just about within the realm of possibility that King Kong could fight the Godzilla shown in the first movie. Not win, mind you, but have a bit of a mid-movie knockabout before bringing out the real villains.
King Of The Monsters is so ludicrously over the top in terms of destruction wrought, there’s no way of presenting Kong as anything other than a minor nuisance compared to Ghidora et al.

If you saw Skull Island, Kong is much taller at least.

Even then, I don't know how they'll pull it off either since KOTM was a loving horrible mess to start with so who cares about a Kong showdown? I guess they'll emphasize Kong's speed and whatever, along with his bigger size, and have him get Godzilla on land or in a jungle where he can have an advantage but then again there's...

Jesus christ why am I typing this?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
solution: just put kong in anti-godzilla laser armor

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

Even then, I don't know how they'll pull it off either since KOTM was a loving horrible mess to start with so who cares about a Kong showdown? I guess they'll emphasize Kong's speed and whatever, along with his bigger size, and have him get Godzilla on land or in a jungle where he can have an advantage but then again there's...

Kong has a line about how he's still a baby.

Also KotM was good and fun

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I saw a movie once and it was awful

I also saw Secret Window.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

A more important question how are they going to hamfistedly wring things around to include a third 'Godzilla lasers an orifice' shot?
The first one was so popular they had to throw in a second one, after all.

So the important question stands, will Godzilla finish off Kong with a laser into his rear end, or out of it?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

godzillas about 3 times bigger than the kong of skull island

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Crimpolioni posted:

godzillas about 3 times bigger than the kong of skull island

Thank you for saving me the trouble of saying this. Yes, Kong is large. Godzilla is titanic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They'll do the same thing they did beforw: write a script where godzilla fights frankenstein's monster, then at the last moment replace him with king kong.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They’ll just make Kong larger or Godzilla smaller. That’s how basically every kaiju movie in history has worked

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

They’ll just make Kong larger or Godzilla smaller. That’s how basically every kaiju movie in history has worked

Presumably this since John C Reily says "Kong is just a baby"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'd like a Kong vs Godzilla Jr. for more accurate sizing but then you have to introduce Godzilla Jr. & figure a way to prevent Godzilla Sr. from intervening & whipping Kong's rear end.