Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
why the hell do you think i've migrated to 100% remote office lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

smarxist posted:

lol, had a job interview with these people for a remote position that looked better than my current gig, and everything went great then at the end they're like "btw, to do this job you need to be in front of a spycam all day, watch this video"

https://vimeo.com/321351784

lol :30 on is some real Dexter Keyboard Quinn bs

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
re: some saudi prince playing dota

From the rich people I have connections with, yah, they are still people, yes, they are on dota

yes, some of them think steam chat is safer than using a slack group or any other communication

And yah, a few of them get in trouble in government positions for playing games on steam during working hours to include MPs

I 100% believe with no evidence there is at least one steam group for rich saudis

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

that’s all in line with the stories of random game streaming peoples getting $1000 donations on a whim or w/e

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gonna start a dota 2 stream where I praise allah for every victory in the hope of luring in them oil baron donations

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You'd also make the chuds hatewatch and there'd probably be some synergy with chud streamers wanting to do shows vs you.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

smarxist posted:

lol, had a job interview with these people for a remote position that looked better than my current gig, and everything went great then at the end they're like "btw, to do this job you need to be in front of a spycam all day, watch this video"

are you an independent contractor or an employee? if you're an IC, you may have other clients, and those other clients would not want a spycam that might record their proprietary information in your office space.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

smarxist posted:

If you can't trust your remote workers to be working remotely, why bother hiring remote workers? gently caress you.

They already spy on their screens, gosh.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
lol if you dont confine your work environment to a virtual machine

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Round-the-clock spycam from your boss shouldn’t be a problem if you have nothing to hide. :cop:

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

withak posted:

Round-the-clock spycam from your boss shouldn’t be a problem if you have nothing to hide. :cop:

Not hiding anything is the best part of working remote :awesome:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SaTaMaS posted:

Not hiding anything is the best part of working remote :awesome:

just lol if you shower and dress for your remote job and don't roll out of bed ten minutes before clock in and get your head right with the vape in your underwear while booting up

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

smarxist posted:

just lol if you shower and dress for your remote job and don't roll out of bed ten minutes before clock in and get your head right with the vape in your underwear while booting up

if you know your coworkers spend their first hour getting coffee you’re a scab if you don’t do the same when you work from home

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

withak posted:

my boss watching my work feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt4DRx29QUM

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

look bossman, im not jerking off during a meeting, im jerking off TO the meeting

synergy makes my crotch parts all tingly

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If I could work remotely I’d never not be in my underwear.

Yesterday I wore jeans and a T-shirt on a Friday cause I was planning on running cable thru a ceiling and I still got some looks.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I'm so happy I'm a computer toucher in the West where we don't give a gently caress about a dress code.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

chairface posted:

a few years back there was a news story that original prints of metropolis were found in brazil and I misunderstood the headline and thought original film of brazil had been found in metropolis. but that's where superman lives and isn't a real city
They were found in Argentina and Kino Lorber put together a full cut with the original score recorded by the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra. It's absolutely amazing and everyone, but especially CSPAM posters, should watch it on Blu Ray with surround sound and the subwoofer turned up slightly higher than would be otherwise be considered reasonable.

smarxist posted:

The funny thing about this is that while it's terrible for it to be mandatory, we have videoconferencing equipment all over at work and people who work outside of the office suite for my department will just dial in and stay connected so they can chat with coworkers as if they were in the same room. Work from home is great in some ways, but social isolation from your coworkers can be miserable and tedious. Out of the office, everyone uses Zello. If anyone had to email or leave a voicemail every time they needed to contact someone else, almost nothing would get done.

Third World Reagan posted:

re: some saudi prince playing dota

From the rich people I have connections with, yah, they are still people, yes, they are on dota

yes, some of them think steam chat is safer than using a slack group or any other communication

And yah, a few of them get in trouble in government positions for playing games on steam during working hours to include MPs

I 100% believe with no evidence there is at least one steam group for rich saudis
While it's not at all secure, during the Tahrir Square protests that grew into the Egyptian Revolution, people were using chat in the game Ingress to communicate when other methods of communication were blacked out.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dialing into a meeting is way loving different from always on employee in front of webcam

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Dialing into a meeting is way loving different from always on employee in front of webcam

every webcam is a 'clothing optional' webcam if you're ugly enough

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

yeah, but with people working alone in some buildings and departments, the videoconference is up all the time just so they can feel like they're part of the team (they are). Immersion and isolation are both awful.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
the virtual panopticon

i'm guessing their pitches to prospective clients just involve reading parts of the original 1700s panopticon proposal verbatim

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
"The sociological effect is that the prisonersworkers are aware of the presence of authority at all times, even though they never know exactly when they are being observed. The authority changes from being a limited physical entity to being an internalized omniscience- the prisonersworkers discipline themselves simply because someone might be watching, eliminating the need for more physical power to accomplish the same task. Just a few guardsmanagers are able to maintain a very large number of prisonersworkers this way. Arguably, there wouldn't even need to be any guardsmanagers in the toweroffice at all."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I guess one of the mitigating factors is that I work in the public sector. For the most part, our bosses are in the same union as us, held back in the same way that we are, and pinned to a rigid salary band that none of us can escape from. Our contract explicitly states that performance is not grounds for a bonus or raise. Oh well, I'm not on our board anymore and I just have to hope that the person who was elected to the position after me is as aggressive and militant as I would have been while negotiating our next contract. Or that she appoints me to the negotiation team and I can be a raging anarchist, even if balanced out by the vaguely liberal people I expect.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Saudi Arabia oil and gas production reduced by drone strikes.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

We're living in the future, and the future loving sucks.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

GWBBQ posted:

We're living in the future, and the future loving sucks.

https://twitter.com/miragonz/status/1173030359589519360

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cool thing about 2019 is all the sentences that couldn't have existed even 5 years ago and every new sentence is worse than what came before it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

God Hole posted:

lol :30 on is some real Dexter Keyboard Quinn bs

I thought the whole point of remote was to get away from your co-workers?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

okay but this is the cool cyberpunk dystopia

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

While it's not at all secure, during the Tahrir Square protests that grew into the Egyptian Revolution, people were using chat in the game Ingress to communicate when other methods of communication were blacked out.

Iiiiiinteresting! Isn't Ingress/Pokemon Go a DARPA thing or similar?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dune isn't cyberpunk

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

okay but this is the cool cyberpunk dystopia

So climate change preventative plan is actually Chad Houthi drones?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Peanut Butler posted:

Iiiiiinteresting! Isn't Ingress/Pokemon Go a DARPA thing or similar?

devs are google breakaways so state dept. probably?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Saucer Hovers posted:

devs are google breakaways so state dept. probably?

lol it's crazier

https://www.mandatory.com/culture/1110939-is-pokemon-go-a-government-operated-app-used-to-spy-on-us-her

quote:

Let’s start with a little history.

Way back in 2001, Keyhole, Inc. was founded by John Hanke (who previously worked in a “foreign affairs” position within the U.S. government). The company was named after the old “eye-in-the-sky” military satellites. One of the key, early backers of Keyhole was a firm called In-Q-Tel.

In-Q-Tel is the venture capital firm of the CIA. Yes, the Central Intelligence Agency. Much of the funding purportedly came from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA). The NGA handles combat support for the U.S. Department of Defense and provides intelligence to the NSA and CIA, among others.

Keyhole’s noteworthy public product was “Earth.” Renamed to “Google Earth” after Google acquired Keyhole in 2004.

In 2010, Niantic Labs was founded (inside Google) by Keyhole’s founder, John Hanke.

Over the next few years, Niantic created two location-based apps/games. The first was Field Trip, a smartphone application where users walk around and find things. The second was Ingress, a sci-fi-themed game where players walk around and between locations in the real world.

In 2015, Niantic was spun off from Google and became its own company. Then Pokémon Go was developed and launched by Niantic. It’s a game where you walk around in the real world (between locations suggested by the service) while holding your smartphone.

quote:

Not only that, but Niantic’s own website copy suspiciously describes the the efforts of their company (written July 6, 2016 — the day the Pokémon app became available) as such: “exploiting the capabilities of smartphones and location technology and through building a unique massively scalable server and global location dataset.”

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Pokémon go was obviously just a way for the cia to get people to point cameras at places they wanted to check out for whatever reason

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

Dune isn't cyberpunk

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This isn't true at all. I've destroyed my life and have barely any control over it at all.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i wonder what the life of a manager at an amazon warehouse is like, like is it a subtler and more ridiculous dystopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006