Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

now become the buggutmaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Holy poo poo that's great

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ha, will that work on the bugmaster? I don't remember his faction off the top of my head

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Clark Nova posted:

Ha, will that work on the bugmaster? I don't remember his faction off the top of my head

It probably would but considering the bugmasters insane stats it probably will be incredibly expensive, also i dont trust slaver guards being able to overwhelm the bugmaster when he breaks out.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The slavers will aggro most of the bandit factions, right? You could probably use it on them, cannibals, ancient machines

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Clark Nova posted:

He's in spiders faction, so it might, he will be way more expensive to buy though, not to mention harder to capture.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cardiovorax posted:

Anywhere will do, just pick a place that gives you easy access to important stuff.

What's important stuff?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

What's important stuff?

If you hit the prospect button, it'll show you the possible resources. These are fertility, water, stone, copper, and iron. You want someplace that has all of those, assuming you're playing biologicals who need food and/or you want to use crop products.

It will also tell you how the wind is, which is also important unless you use fuel or manual labour for power.

The way I picked my base was to scout around The Hub looking for places that had a Copper Resource and an Iron Resource close to each other, and those sites became a shortlist of places to prospect for Fertility, Stone, and Water percentages.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Food, ammo, healing supplies, books, basic construction materials that are not easily made without putting in a lot of research yourself, and of course as many shops as possible to sell your products to. You are in for a seriously hard time if you build in a spot where you have to send a caravan off to a whole region away every time you run out of something important you can't easily make. It's why I prefer populated areas in spite of the added bother of dealing with raids and tax collectors.

And yeah, resources also matter, although I specifically installed a mod to make mining ops more viable basically anywhere, so it's not as much of a concern for my own choices.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 14, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats the difference between a raider and a tax collector?

Nothing :black101:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Tax collectors actually take your money, not just your food. :v:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Tax collectors actually take your money, not just your food. :v:

Nope.

I installed harpoons for a reason

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
assuming I want to stick around the holy nation for a while, what do I do with all my non-human dudes? If I just work them in the mines will they get randomly ganked/enslaved by HN assholes?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

assuming I want to stick around the holy nation for a while, what do I do with all my non-human dudes? If I just work them in the mines will they get randomly ganked/enslaved by HN assholes?

If you have a male greenlander around you can tell any paladins who wander by that they're your slaves and they'll be cool with it. Unless its a skeleton, to which there is no forgiveness.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you keep them out of actual sight, like if you stuff them in a closed building when you see the prayer group come around, they also get completely ignored. The HN only cares about non-humans it can see.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

If you keep them out of actual sight, like if you stuff them in a closed building when you see the prayer group come around, they also get completely ignored. The HN only cares about non-humans it can see.

I had the Holy Nation come by my outpost to talk to me. I thought about just ignoring them, but figured that would piss them off. I sent a skeleton down to talk to them, and they ran away in terror. How hosed am I now?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
They're gonna send a war party next time probably.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even have walls yet! I'm just 5 skelefriends with clubs and crossbows and some refinery machines. I guess now's the time to really care about walls?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, chances are you get at least a one-off raid. If you want to check how hosed you are in general, go to the factions screen. I think -10 is enough to count as permahostile.

You could just abandon camp for a few weeks, tho. They'll probably have forgotten about it by then after they find no one there.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, chances are you get at least a one-off raid. If you want to check how hosed you are in general, go to the factions screen. I think -10 is enough to count as permahostile.

You could just abandon camp for a few weeks, tho. They'll probably have forgotten about it by then after they find no one there.

yea, with all these constant attacks I'm starting to wonder if I should have just kept mining and selling copper while living in The Hub and just bought one of the Storm Houses there to place my tier 2 research bench

oh well it will be an adventure

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, bases are persistent. Anything you leave behind will still be there if you ever come back, barring any food. Some bandits might move in, but if you kick them out then it's all fine again.

Running away and living to fight another day is a legitimate strategy in Kenshi.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Addamere posted:

I don't even have walls yet! I'm just 5 skelefriends with clubs and crossbows and some refinery machines. I guess now's the time to really care about walls?

You have 3 possibilities

1. Abandon your base
2. Destroy the holy nation
3. Be destroyed by the holy nation

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BMan posted:

You have 3 possibilities

1. Abandon your base
2. Destroy the holy nation
3. Be destroyed by the holy nation

I just want to help the humans :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Option 2 it is, then. Try to find the Flotsam Ninjas and the Anti-Slavers. They would be right up your alley.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Addamere posted:

I just want to help the humans :(

You will really love the anti-slavers

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Option 2 it is, then. Try to find the Flotsam Ninjas and the Anti-Slavers. They would be right up your alley.

Kenshi allows me to live my dream of being a robot collective that empowers women. My god

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Realtalk: I legit love that Kenshi allows you to play an abolitionist robo-feminist and makes it as valid a playstyle as any other.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Realtalk: I legit love that Kenshi allows you to play an abolitionist robo-feminist and makes it as valid a playstyle as any other.

yea I'm not joking this loving owns

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

It's very satisfying to destroy the holy nation with cool robots

One of these days I have to reload that save and visit the reprogramming workshop before making the first assault

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it possible to rename characters?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yes, at the plastic surgeon. You find them in bars sometimes.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, at the plastic surgeon. You find them in bars sometimes.

Will they accept skeletons? I have my dudes named Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo; I want them to instead be named Amaat, Toren, Etrepa, Bo, and Esk.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The plastic surgeon is only called that, it's actually just re-entering the full character editor for a nominal fee. You get to do everything you were able to do on character creation, except for changing the character's race.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have abandoned my outpost because the Holy Nation attack squad was like 50 dudes and my 5 robots with iron clubs were not gonna handle that. I retreated to Squin and am waiting them out. How long til they gently caress off?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

another successful raid, driving out the unholy abominations. Praise Okran, brothers.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Addamere posted:

I have abandoned my outpost because the Holy Nation attack squad was like 50 dudes and my 5 robots with iron clubs were not gonna handle that. I retreated to Squin and am waiting them out. How long til they gently caress off?

Like 2 minutes on fast forward

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it might require you to stay close enough that the chunk counts as active, but don't quote me on that.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Like 2 minutes on fast forward

It's been over a day since I left and there is still a white dot on my outpost. It's not Holy Nation according to the faction menu, but some bandit raid.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it might require you to stay close enough that the chunk counts as active, but don't quote me on that.

I guess I'll sneak one of my dudes over there and check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Beep sure is taking their dismemberment pretty well.

...also, these high paladin do seem somewhat resilient.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 15, 2019