Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

granted, but usually it’s more ballpark than this

Wasteland used to be a >$100 uncommon, and Ancient Tomb a $50 uncommon. That probably pushed the price of sealed Tempest product up even higher, and as we all know, commodities like MTG stuff can never go down in price, so it's just stayed high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Henge Walker

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1172934788019306496?s=20

and Fires of Inventions

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 14, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Okay why does the forum sometimes just hide a post? I can see that Kurtofan posted the "latest post" but it's not showing up in the thread.

I will have that Kurtofan post.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hellsau posted:

Okay why does the forum sometimes just hide a post? I can see that Kurtofan posted the "latest post" but it's not showing up in the thread.

I will have that Kurtofan post.

i think its because theres a big event in town, and it fucks up with my internet connection

and there it is, my post is there

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tibalt posted:

Is gnome a new creature type?

Gno.

E:fb

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PJOmega posted:

Gno.

E:fb

gnyes

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

xarph posted:

Do you know which one it was? I'll put it on my watchlist.

I really want to say Duelist #4 with the Melissa Benson tiger man cover. It had an article on... I want to say Zak Dolan trade sharking his way up from a couple of starters (and then his World Championship deck looking nothing like any of the stuff he traded for).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

I really want to say Duelist #4 with the Melissa Benson tiger man cover. It had an article on... I want to say Zak Dolan trade sharking his way up from a couple of starters (and then his World Championship deck looking nothing like any of the stuff he traded for).

Although now reviewing Zak's article in Duelist #3, I may be conflating them. But the sharking article definitely exists.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Although now reviewing Zak's article in Duelist #3, I may be conflating them. But the sharking article definitely exists.

Although, I did find this, which is unrelated, but great.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Fires seems intensely, extremely busted

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toshimo posted:

ancient_timing_rules_were_a_nightmare.txt

Not for nothing but halberd dinoman is great, is that art from a card?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Owlbear Camus posted:

Am I the only one who occasionally goes to flea markets and garage sales with the fantasy of a "yard sale find" of some old shoebox with some beat up OG duals interspersed among the wood elementals and living walls, or a sealed box of some old set?

I found 2 warhammer sets at a thrift store earlier this year. It was half off day so they were $2 each, one was sealed and the other was open but untouched. They were selling on eBay for about $40 each. Sold them to a player for $60.

It happens, you just have to be very very lucky.

A friend from high school knew I still played magic so he wanted me to look at his 95-98 era collection. He pulled out like a royal assassin, shiva dragon, a few other cards that were worth a lot back when he played in middle school.

His jaw dropped when I told him all the stuff he pulled out had very little value, but his sylvan library, 3 wastelands and 2 city of traitors were worth a few hundred dollars. It was before the eternal masters reprints. He had a few other cards in the $10-$20 range so he was pretty happy.

I kept a demonic tutor for my troubles.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

meanolmrcloud posted:

I don't get it, des it pump into abilities?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If you stumble on expensive cards at some guy's yard sale and then don't pay a decent part of their actual value for them then you are a scum bag

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sampatrick posted:

If you stumble on expensive cards at some guy's yard sale and then don't pay a decent part of their actual value for them then you are a scum bag

What if he's a bad guy? Like I look into the public records and he's got a few domestics on his rap sheet?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

What if he's a bad guy? Like I look into the public records and he's got a few domestics on his rap sheet?

post their reddit history here, if they post on r/freemagic then they're fair game

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tulul posted:

It deals 7 to three different targets, so you could choose your opponent plus two Reckoners and deal the full 21 to their face.

If you're in Tinseltown, though, you might as well just cast Star of Extinction for the same mana and hit them for 40.

You mean Sundering Stroke copies 5-8? Also, don’t forget Blasphemous Acts! (Seriously folks, I’m just spitballing a jank mono red deck in modern. I don’t just think it’s a neat inefficient 4 card combo)

Kurtofan posted:

and Fires of Inventions

Holy lord...that seems bonkers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

meanolmrcloud posted:

It isn't, because it's a 4-mana do-nothing enchantment by itself, and the things you cast are still limited by the number of lands you have, not changing much about what you get to play.

It kinda reminds me of As Foretold, which similarly reads intensely, extremely busted but in practice is a good game piece for certain decks but didn't set the world on fire.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Am I the only one who occasionally goes to flea markets and garage sales with the fantasy of a "yard sale find" of some old shoebox with some beat up OG duals interspersed among the wood elementals and living walls, or a sealed box of some old set?

Probably increasingly vanishingly unlikely as that stuff gets consolidated into big time collections and cultural osmosis has made people aware that Magic Cards can be worth a mint, with a rough valuation only a google search for a given card name away.

Still fun to dream.

No. And please do not disparage Living Wall. He has feelings.

A guy at my store last year found a box at Goodwill with, among a bunch of junk, 1 of each grixis dual for like $5.

They were Beta.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It isn't, because it's a 4-mana do-nothing enchantment by itself, and the things you cast are still limited by the number of lands you have, not changing much about what you get to play.

It kinda reminds me of As Foretold, which similarly reads intensely, extremely busted but in practice is a good game piece for certain decks but didn't set the world on fire.

Yeah busted will probably end up being the wrong word, but it still looks extremely fun for brewing. As Foretold is only really abusable the turn it comes into play, so at least if it sticks this has more potential.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlbear Camus posted:

When I was a teenager and I think Alliances was the most recent set, my mom, who is an avid garage saler bought me a gift at a sale. She paid 5 bucks for a small box of Legends cards. The standouts were Darkness, which ended up getting a lot of play in my little black decks and also a goddamned Tabernacle.

I ended up trading the Tabernacle for like 4 packs of Visions a little later to the local store owner. I still get sad when I look at the current price of Tabernacle

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 14, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah busted will probably end up being the wrong word, but it still looks extremely fun for brewing.

Experimental Frenzy's still legal! :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Experimental Frenzy's still legal! :v:

Turn 4, cast Fires of Invention, cast Experimental Frenzy for free. It's almost TOO good.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

suicidesteve posted:

Turn 4, cast Fires of Invention, cast Experimental Frenzy for free. It's almost TOO good.

Wizards bravely answered the challenge of "how can we make mono red involve even less conscious thought?"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fires is extremely busted if you're using it as a Wilderness Reclamation - play it on turn four and a four drop, play a fifth land and then play two insane five drops. Unfortunately it doesn't play very well with ramp that isn't just putting more lands into play, like creature ramp or Nissa, and every copy past the first is worthless, so you'd have to have a very particular deck that wants it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Does this let you flashback if the land count is >= normal casting cost? Bump in the Night would only require 1 land to flashback yeah?

You can pay additional costs like buyback and kicker, but not for free, right?

Can you choose values for X in casting costs?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

So this is a build around where I guess you want to cast two big free spells per turn and use your actual mana on mana sinks like...firebreathing or something. The nice thing is that you can play a free spell after tapping out to play this. Really mitigates the tempo loss. It has real potential but I don't know exactly what the payoff is supposed to be.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Fires of Invention seems... fine?

I mean, it lets you play a second spell immediately after if you have one, combos ok with multiple cards that already exist, and in particular it seems like ELD really, really wants to make a Big Red deck stick this coming standard and Fires could be a piece or that since it wins action economy against T3feri.

I think very quietly the most powerful text on the card is the one where it asks for converted CMC instead of just any spell you can cast with the lands you control. Between Fires and Ilharg, a Big Red deck being able to diversify it's treats in a way Big Red normally never gets to could be the thing that pushes it over the edge.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

the payoff in my jank deck is playing all the colours

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm guessing there's going to be a deck with Fires and Skarrgan Hellkite, because that is a very strong sequence of plays if you also have another impactful spell to jam alongside the Hellkite, but I don't know what else goes in that deck. Maybe it's just a RG deck that also plays Nissa, even though Nissa doesn't work great with Fires she's still strong by herself and when you miss on Fires?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Wait. I didn't play that early in the game's life. There was a point when state-based effects weren't checked until the stack was empty?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Magic Underwear posted:

So this is a build around where I guess you want to cast two big free spells per turn and use your actual mana on mana sinks like...firebreathing or something. The nice thing is that you can play a free spell after tapping out to play this. Really mitigates the tempo loss. It has real potential but I don't know exactly what the payoff is supposed to be.

It works really well with the red Cavalier - pumps your guys AND gives them haste, so each subsequent creature creates a snowball effect.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. I didn't play that early in the game's life. There was a point when state-based effects weren't checked until the stack was empty?

someones gonna post that weird rats maze that to this day i still dont really understand anyone could remember

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

someones gonna post that weird rats maze that to this day i still dont really understand anyone could remember

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, the predecessor to the stack was the batch. I don't think the concept of state-based effects even existed, but damage wasn't checked until the batch was empty.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I've always assumed that this chart makes it look way more complicated than it actually is but on the other hand deciphering the chart in order to summarize it is nearly impossible so I'll never know

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

You could go to zero life, receive priority to cast a spell/activate an ability, and not die.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sickening posted:

Old sealed product always sells for more than its EV.

New product, too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

The old rules were a disaster that I've never really understood, but I can tell you that at one point in the game if there was a Lightning Bolt and a Giant Growth targeting the same Grizzly Bear, that Grizzly Bear would not die regardless of the order in which they were cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BrianBoitano posted:

Does this let you flashback if the land count is >= normal casting cost? Bump in the Night would only require 1 land to flashback yeah?

You can pay additional costs like buyback and kicker, but not for free, right?

Can you choose values for X in casting costs?

1) Pretty sure you cannot flashback it. Flashback does not let you play it from your graveyard for just any cost, it lets you play it for its flashback cost, and Fires of Invention does not let you play it without paying its flashback costs. (You could, however, play it from your graveyard for free during a Yawgmoth's Will turn, although Fires + Will is a serious nonbo in every other regard.)

2) I believe so.

3) I don't believe so.