Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm starting the Golden deer house today and this will be my last campaign until DLC one. Plenty of game for my buck I'm going to total over 300 hours by the time I'm finished.

This was my first fire emblem game. I'm highly tempted to check out Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn next. How do they compare to Three Houses? Just as good and similar?

Path of Radiance (and all the retro FEs) have very little inter-battle content. You just go from map to map. The two you listed specifically have a small base which can be considered a proto-monastery but you don't run around in it, it's just a menu. There's no character customization either but you get far more recruits so you customize your army by deciding who to deploy.

It definitely has the best or second best story/writing of the franchise but RD took a big jump off a cliff in that regard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Getting a cape that fabulous is a crime.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Onmi posted:

The war crimes in the war Edelgard started? Also which would these war crimes be?

The one where he's presumed dead for 5 years, shows up and gets murdered in a battle (Golden Deer/Church) Or the War Crimes where he defended his sovereign land from an invading force (Edelgard route)

Or do you mean The crest stones. Something he was both not involved in and directly opposed?

Probably all the torture he does tbh.

Like other people being bad doesn't magically absolve everyone else.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

doing anything but wear the cape is a war crime tbh

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah war is bad i agree

Thud posted:

“War, Nobby. Huh! What is it good for?" he said.

"Dunno, Sarge. Freeing slaves, maybe?"

"Absol—well, okay."

"Defending yourself against a totalitarian aggressor?"

"All right, I'll grant you that, but—"

"Saving civilization from a horde of—"

"It doesn't do any good in the long run is what I'm saying, Nobby, if you'd listen for five seconds together," said Fred Colon sharply.

"Yeah, but in the long run, what does, Sarge?”

(The fact that the arguments against Edelgard are so often "But... war bad!" has made me respect them less as time goes on.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chiasaur11 posted:

(The fact that the arguments against Edelgard are so often "But... war bad!" has made me respect them less as time goes on.)

the fact that edelgard supporters are so willing to forgive war has made me respect them less as time goes on

war is really, really, really bad

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

See, Sheep gets it.

Zore posted:

Probably all the torture he does tbh.

Like other people being bad doesn't magically absolve everyone else.

When does he torture anyone? Can you show me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Onmi posted:

When does he torture anyone? Can you show me.

Did you literally not play blue lions

Cause this is stupid as poo poo otherwise

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The Edelgard discourse is an inevitability.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tae posted:

He's a murderer in cold blood, he never tortures a soul.

EDIT: Oh wait he planned on torturing Randolph, my mistake. I forgot about it because nothing comes of it and literally doesn't happen on any other route.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

But you see if Edelgard had just asked Rhea to stop oppressing the people of Fodlan and upholding a lovely eugenics system I'm sure there was totally a nonviolent solution.

Also IIRC Dmitri tortures the poo poo out of Randolph before you mercy kill him

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Oh wait he planned on torturing Randolph, my mistake. I forgot about it because nothing comes of it and literally doesn't happen on any other route.

... You should replay or rewatch that scene Onmi

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

You really are being obtuse here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He also constantly yells out methods to rip limbs and leave the killing last

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dimitri also should not be anywhere near the command of an army or any of the levers of power

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the fact that edelgard supporters are so willing to forgive war has made me respect them less as time goes on

Yes. War is terrible.

This does not prevent its alternatives from potentially being worse.

And considering Fodland's "peace" includes pogroms, I'd say that there's an argument that this is one of those scenarios.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Foldan is saved by removing Rhea from her sole position of power, that's literally true in all the routes, even her own route

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tae posted:

No, Omni has not actually played the game at all and has only watched a lets play

When you take this into consideration, all the errors they make about things that do and don't happen and when make much more sense

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Yes war is bad.

War is not the only evil in existence though. And the game is muddy as hell with its messaging on it since the war is what directly leads to a bunch of good poo poo happening to Fodlan (because Edelgard achieves most of her goals regardless of route. And those things are explicitly called out as good in every ending (Rhea deposed, Slitherers dead, Nobility/Crest system reformed, all of Fodlan united as one nation etc.)

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 14, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

violence is sometimes necessary to advance a worthy cause, such as gay rights. edelgard is the only character taking clear action to advance this noble cause.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tae posted:

Foldan is saved by removing Rhea from her sole position of power, that's literally true in all the routes, even her own route

And guess who does this in 3/4 routes?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, yeah war is real bad, but so is allowing the continuation of a millenia-and-still-going caste system that encourages the abuse of innocents and conducts purges and is kept running by an immortal so you can’t even wait for the boss to die and get reformation that way.

But I’m sure if Edelgard just went up to Rhea and said “your system is totally broken and is encouraging abuse of innocents” Rhea would understand and reform it rather than call Catherine into the ”discussion” to deal with this child.

Also, I’m sure that had Edelgard backed out of the war, the Slytherins never would have used their control over the entire Empire to start anything.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It seems like half the arguments against Rhea are 'she should have interfered more' and the other half are 'she should have interfered less'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dimitri 'now im not saying i hate gay people, they just shouldn't do it where i can see' blaidydd

claude 'if you wanna be gay, just move to cali or something' von riegan

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zore posted:

... You should replay or rewatch that scene Onmi

Dimitri has Randolph on his knees, he berates him from being a murderer and delights in shattering his justifications for the innocents he's responsible for killing, saying that they are both monsters. He then asks Randolph if he can sit there and watch his troops die one by one, if not he'll tear his eyeballs out. Upon which time Byleth intervenes and kills Randolph in mercy, and Dimitri gets pissed off because, as he states, he is a monster, and he was enjoying that.

I admit I forgot the scene, it's been a while and was three routes ago.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

It seems like half the arguments against Rhea are 'she should have interfered more' and the other half are 'she should have interfered less'.

I mean yeah? She completely half asses everything and interferes in stuff like Duscar only in the most selfish and destructive ways while allowing the genocide to continue unchecked.

Like everything to do with how the Church just stayed out of Duscar and let the massacres happen but made sure to take advantage of it so they could sweep some of their dirty laundry under the rug is just grossly reprehensible. And thats just one event during the period the game is set in.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I mean, she could have not interfered, or chosen to interfere for the good of the wider populace. Instead, she went with the option to interfere for her own personal good which is, you know, terrible.

It’s not like interference or non-interference are the only factors here. What you do when you interfere matters, and consistently Rhea’s interference fucks over almost-everyone.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Oh, goodie, this is starting again.

To be fair, there is a spoiler thread where the OP literally states 'here we can argue about Edelgard', but no one seems to use it.

EDIT: Actually I'm gonna move all my stuff to the spoiler thread, mostly because I don't think there's a solid consensus about what's a spoiler or not.

Airspace fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 14, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

violence is sometimes necessary to advance a worthy cause, such as gay rights. edelgard is the only character taking clear action to advance this noble cause.

earnest reply to this joke post: if Edelgard had hanged Rhea and a few hundred (or even a few thousand) lovely nobles I'd be wringing my hands far far less. War is so bad because of its scale and because of the inevitability of suffering of innocents.
e: and to pre-empt the response, I recognize this is not realistic. None of the realistic options are non-lovely, I acknowledge that

People also way way overstate the amount of damage Rhea has done/is doing but I don't really want to turn this page into another CIA document with that argument

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

earnest reply to this joke post: if Edelgard had hanged Rhea and a few hundred (or even a few thousand) lovely nobles I'd be wringing my hands far far less. War is so bad because of its scale and because of the inevitability of suffering of innocents.

People also way way overstate the amount of damage Rhea has done/is doing but I don't really want to turn this page into another CIA document with that argument
I'm not joking.

And my point is more just... it's a video game. Which anime teen you think is the most moral is not actually going to support war in the real world. And stripped of any actual stakes, people's reasons for supporting/not supporting certain characters comes down more to simple, surface level reasons. They like this character's voice, they don't like this character's voice. They don't like this character's design, they like this character's design. Or, in Edelgard's case, they're a gay or bi woman who's earnestly excited that a major character in a nintendo game is a complex, confident bisexual woman who openly flirts with other women at several points in the game. I think generally people just support whichever one of these characters they like or identify with, and then backfill justifications.

And that's, like, fine. It's a video game.

And it's obviously fine to discuss how the plot is written or which character comes across the most justified, but in a community where people are sending literal twitter hatemobs at each other over this poo poo, or calling each other war crime denialists - again, for opinions on a video game - it's reasonable that people are a bit defensive when this stuff comes up, especially when their general reasoning is closer to personal self-identification or attachment than complex political theses. Wringing your hands or talking about 'losing respect' is utterly pointless because none of this stuff actually matters and you're ultimately placing the politics of a fictional word over the real world catharsis people are getting from certain characters, ideas, or concepts.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 14, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I got a bit too intense in reply to replies that were also a bit too intense and it just cycled upwards in intensity for no good reason and I'm gonna stop posting. I have no issue with liking Edelgard as a character and I apologize for anything I said that made it seem otherwise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's cool. You were hardly the worst person about it in this thread, My point isn't really about you specifically, more just a general one of I wish people didn't apply so much value judgment or moral importance to an argument about reads on fiction. This stuff ultimately matters about as much as whether or not Naruto should end up with Sakura or Hinata, and, like that argument, it's mostly just people arguing past each other because they aren't actually sharing any common ground, because the whole thing's just functioning as projection for their own personal issues or beliefs.

Like, I like Edelgard a lot and think she's justified. If you made her an aggressively straight dude, or made it so that the major focus of the game isn't a a country-wide religion that almost everyone subscribes to and has a lot of say on who you can/can't marry, I wouldn't care about that hypothetical character or their story, probably. Likewise, some other people probably would start liking that character a lot, for whatever reason. It's fiction, you bring your own biases into it. It can be good to examine those biases, but it's not like that requires you to actually change any opinions you have about the fiction, so the framing of this argument in terms of 'supporters' or who is/isn't 'correct' is stupid. I mean that across the broad, not just the people I disagree with.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Airspace posted:

To be fair, there is a spoiler thread where the OP literally states 'here we can argue about Edelgard', but no one seems to use it.

EDIT: Actually I'm gonna move all my stuff to the spoiler thread, mostly because I don't think there's a solid consensus about what's a spoiler or not.

If the spoiler thread were renamed the edelgard discussion thread it would actually get replies and this thread wouldn’t be a CIA document.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

edelgard discussion: i wish edelgard/bernadetta was a bit more explicitly romantic because those two would be cute together

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

edelgard discussion: i wish edelgard/bernadetta was a bit more explicitly romantic because those two would be cute together

agreed, and also that the dorothea/edelgard ending itself was actually romantic. that one's a bit disappointing.

ALSO leonie needs more paired endings with women. It's a disgrace that she only has one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In the Dorothea/Leonie ending, Dorothea brings a letter from Jeralt, totally not forged, giving his blessing for her to marry Leonie. It is almost embarrassingly successful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

professor metis posted:

agreed, and also that the dorothea/edelgard ending itself was actually romantic. that one's a bit disappointing.

ALSO leonie needs more paired endings with women. It's a disgrace that she only has one.

tbh i definitely read the 'and edelgard went to the opera constantly' in that ending with the subtext of 'to get her bang down'

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

In the Dorothea/Leonie ending, Dorothea brings a letter from Jeralt, totally not forged, giving his blessing for her to marry Leonie. It is almost embarrassingly successful.

Dorothea has everyone figured out and she goes for it, something we should all strive to be

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

dimitri 'now im not saying i hate gay people, they just shouldn't do it where i can see' blaidydd

claude 'if you wanna be gay, just move to cali or something' von riegan

Dimitri/Dedue though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008