Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Veryslightlymad posted:

Know where I can get an Ouroboros symbol? The blossoming thing on McBurn's coat, or Duvalie's armor and skirt, Joshua's tattoo, etc. I can't find a decent image that isn't just McBurn tilted slightly to the side.

First result on GIS:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
117,778 lines is a shitton of lines.

https://twitter.com/supremezerker/status/1172669998327848960

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, these games are huge.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am so insanely excited to be an RPG policeman

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished CS2 and possibly wasn't really paying attention, why was everyone exept Rean leaving Thors?

Also lol at the last boss being 'Yeah this trial is completely pointless but we're gonna beat it because eh that's what we do?'

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 14, 2019

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I am so insanely excited to be an RPG policeman

Me too! I'm excited enough just to get back into a Trails game, let alone a goon favourite.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished CS2 and possibly wasn't really paying attention, why was everyone exept Rean leaving Thors?

They all had other dreams or responsibilities.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you didn't miss anything, for a series that's all about overexplaining everything they're suddenly real weird and vague about it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

so Rean has more reasons to be emo in CS3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything after the main story ended was pretty weird and/or pointless.

In theory I liked the Crossbell Epilogue bit showing Rean doing a pragmatic 'I don't like it but it's the quickest way to end the war' thing but then did nothing with it and the two characters from the Crossbell games were just a string of 'oh remember those guys?' 'remember when that stuff happened?'. No, no I don't :mad:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Some Numbers posted:

First result on GIS:

No, the abstract one that's actually in game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Also lol at the last boss being 'Yeah this trial is completely pointless but we're gonna beat it because eh that's what we do?'

Some made a lot of sense, others... not so much.Like, Fie was never hugely invested in school to begin with, and finding out what's going on with her first family is of course going to be very important to her. And Jusis probably simply does not have enough time to attend school and also fulfill his new role as acting lord of Kreuzen. Others, like Laura leaving for training, are a bit more flimsy but understandable in the wider context. On the other hand, Elliot continues to be the most irrelevant party member, and his reason is equally flimsy. I'm vaguely aware of CSIII's plot points, and he legitimately could have been completely removed from the story and nothing would have really changed - something that applies to none of the others.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of party members could've been removed or combined honestly, especially as the roster just grows bigger.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Some Numbers posted:

First result on GIS:

I think they're looking more for the tattoo-like version, and I'm not sure an image exists of that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

this thing?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

Know where I can get an Ouroboros symbol? The blossoming thing on McBurn's coat, or Duvalie's armor and skirt, Joshua's tattoo, etc. I can't find a decent image that isn't just McBurn tilted slightly to the side.

You could maybe get falcnvrt and rip some textures from TitS SC or 3rd.

Just remember that a tattoo is forever. Don't put anything on your butt that you might regret.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 15, 2019

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
McBurn's coat, off the PS3 texture rip. The ones on Duvalie are smaller, so your best reference is probably the Joshua artwork Kild posted.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm not getting a tattoo, but thanks for the front on view.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1173832941862080512

(Sounds like European version for now)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"The product page also notes that people should make sure they save in The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III demo before its boss. It notes that it isn’t possible to earn trophies in this trial, but taking time to save before that fight means you can earn the trophy for it when you do get the full game."

What, why. That doesn't sound normal.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope the demo is just Rean being mopey and sad

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Tae posted:

"The product page also notes that people should make sure they save in The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III demo before its boss. It notes that it isn’t possible to earn trophies in this trial, but taking time to save before that fight means you can earn the trophy for it when you do get the full game."

What, why. That doesn't sound normal.

Sounds normal to me if the saves are carrying over, its not worth the implemention and QA cost to make the game go over the save file for trophy triggers if it didn't already do that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Surprised it's the whole prologue

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Any impressions on the translation yet?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's a big hole

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Motto posted:

Any impressions on the translation yet?

Just finished the first boss. The voice acting seems good. Big line that stuck out to me was a soldier screaming save me when spare me would've made more sense. The stahlritter leader was kind've awkward but that might have been an affectation ye olde English thing. I have no context on what it was like in Japanese but it seems decent so far. No jargon screw ups yet I've seen which is what I was really worried about

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 17, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its not as good as xseed but nothing was ever going to be and i havent noticed anything major. it's a bit stiff in places and they're way worse at translating certain characters' affectations but its about as good as any other jrpg translation.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Once I was past the en media res segment I had zero issues with the localization or voice acting outside of a couple lines that seemed to have bad audio mastering.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

Once I was past the en media res segment I had zero issues with the localization or voice acting outside of a couple lines that seemed to have bad audio mastering.

... but the inconsistent spacing on Rean's craft's list!
(And yeah, the normal section seems nicer voice wise than the obligatory flashforward).

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I don't own a PS4 anymore, and have gotten rid of my tower since playing Cold Steel II, how well optimised should we expect III to be for laptops/lower end desktops? Because unless they suddenly decide to release it on Switch, my only option is my XPS 15 9560, which I've never played games on so I don't know if it just turns into molten aluminium.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Hocus Pocus posted:

I don't own a PS4 anymore, and have gotten rid of my tower since playing Cold Steel II, how well optimised should we expect III to be for laptops/lower end desktops? Because unless they suddenly decide to release it on Switch, my only option is my XPS 15 9560, which I've never played games on so I don't know if it just turns into molten aluminium.

Right now there's not even any official word of a PC port to begin with. Depending on who NISA contracts to handle the porting job and how much time and resources they get, it could range from an Ys VIII like clusterfuck to a Durante-like spit-and-polish. That's assuming they're not gonna neglect the PC audience and merely decided not to do a simultanous release because of how bad that went for them last time.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Erpy posted:

Right now there's not even any official word of a PC port to begin with. Depending on who NISA contracts to handle the porting job and how much time and resources they get, it could range from an Ys VIII like clusterfuck to a Durante-like spit-and-polish. That's assuming they're not gonna neglect the PC audience and merely decided not to do a simultanous release because of how bad that went for them last time.

Oh wow, I don't know how I even missed that there hasn't been any word of a PC port. That's wild! I would have thought they'd be on top of it after the rest of the Trails games being so well received on Steam.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Hocus Pocus posted:

Oh wow, I don't know how I even missed that there hasn't been any word of a PC port. That's wild! I would have thought they'd be on top of it after the rest of the Trails games being so well received on Steam.

The one Falcom port NISA did was a multi-tier disaster that was initially announced for a simultanous release with the console version, delayed a day or so before launch due to quality issues, delayed again and handed to another team after several months and then released in extremely sordid technical condition after another multi-month delay, resulting in universal panning and an Arkham Knight-grade review bombing.

So yeah, assuming they're interested in porting the game, they probably decided it was best not to announce it until they at least have a stable build and a good idea when to deliver, since the PC audience will be extremely wary of them.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Though it's rather unlikely that a PC port won't happen at all, given that the steam ports for every previous Trails game has basically printed money compared to any other release, and Falcom basically gets to tell NISA what to do with their game.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
did Ys VIII ever become actually playable by humans on PC? i wanted to get it on PC as that's where i've got all the other Ys games available in english but it was fully hosed for months after release so i didn't bother. should i grab it in the next Steam sale or give up and get it on Switch or PS4?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VIII's PC port is in okay shape now. I did get a few hard-locks in late game cutscenes.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

dordreff posted:

did Ys VIII ever become actually playable by humans on PC? i wanted to get it on PC as that's where i've got all the other Ys games available in english but it was fully hosed for months after release so i didn't bother. should i grab it in the next Steam sale or give up and get it on Switch or PS4?

It's playable on my machine. There was one cutscene where I had to switch from Full Screen to Borderless Window in order to avoid a consistent crash, but aside from that it hasn't keeled over for me. It's apparantly a toss-up whether it works or not depending on your OS/video card combination. The wrong combination (Windows 7 and an NVidia card from what I've heard) apparantly tends to crash frequently.

The port is also still a kick in the balls to PC players who prefer to use mouse and keyboard rather than a controller. The main movement keys cannot be manually bound, only set to either WASD, the cursor keys or the numeric path keys, which in turn limits what you can set other keys to. You can use AutoHotKeys to get around that issue and do your own rebinding, but it's not something a PC port of that price class should be lacking.

When the mouse is used to control the camera, it's treated like the stick of a controller, meaning that the camera moves with a fixed speed no matter how quickly or slowly you move the mouse. You can KIND of make the issue less annoying by finetuning the camera speed, but the fact that it's fixed means you'll either have a very jittery camera during normal navigation if it's set too high or if it's set slightly too low (the better alternative) it'll take you forever to look behind you. This fortunately isn't an issue in direct combat since the camera automatically follow monsters you've locked onto, but if a monster you didn't lock onto has a long-range charge attack and dashes past you, turning around to see if it's coming back at you takes far longer than it should.

So yeah, it's playable if you have the right machine, but it's not on the level of XSeed's work.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
The PS4 Pro version runs really well, I eventually bit the bullet even though I'd prefer to own the PC version. The initial PC port and localization were indeed a 大穴.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm going to assume that as much as I want to play Cold Steel 3, it would probably be better to wait until CS4 is also out so that there's not a years long gap of plot details. Is this a correct assumption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've heard the CS3 ending is an even more egregious cliffhanger than CS1's so yeah