Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Grimson posted:

Norway, Sweden and Denmark make up Scandinavia. The Faroes are part of the Nordic countries, along with Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Greenland and Åland.
Yes, those are the definitions here in Scandinavia, but foreigners like to complicate things (see also: the posts between ours). The ambiguity also made a nice hook for posting more about the group.

Encyclopedia Britannica posted:

Some authorities argue for the inclusion of Finland on geologic and economic grounds and of Iceland and the Faroe Islands on the grounds that their inhabitants speak North Germanic (or Scandinavian) languages related to those of Norway and Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/WFRumour/status/1169314118852993024

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
A worthy click

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gorgeous pass, great finish, fantastic name

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

NRK is saying Kolbotn's keeper is going to Manchester United.
https://twitter.com/applessquabble/status/1169846868982894592

It's going to be interesting seeing how Kolbotn fares in the later half of the season and if they make any moves before the next season to shore up their loses with Aurora going to ManU and Karina Sævik already having transferred to PSG.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Villa Women take on Blackburn at Villa Park this weekend. I hope they draw a good crowd. Last year was about 1600, which feels pretty empty even though it was an attendance record for the ladies. We'll see if the World Cup, the focus from the club, new signings, and the fact that they've started 2-0 in pretty good form has helped attendance. It should!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Some or most of you are probably familiar with Caster Semenya, the olympic track star from South Africa that the IAAF has a lot of trouble categorizing because she displays some hyperandrogynistic traits. She's just signed with a South African football team:

https://twitter.com/caster800m/status/1169897609839857665

Pretty neat, hope she does well.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gigi Galli posted:

Some or most of you are probably familiar with Caster Semenya, the olympic track star from South Africa that the IAAF has a lot of trouble categorizing because she displays some hyperandrogynistic traits. She's just signed with a South African football team:

https://twitter.com/caster800m/status/1169897609839857665

Pretty neat, hope she does well.

'Hyperandrogyistic" is kind of a euphemism. She's got more testosterone than you and me.....well than you. I'd be surprised if she isn't banned from this sport also. Unfortunate, but there it is.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxosyx22PQE

Lone goal in last night's Utah vs. Portland game was outta nowhere- Christen Press, the spark plug for Utah gets an assist but it's a ponytail header from Becky Sauerbrunn that scores. She's normally a defender and doesn't get much opportunity to score.

Incredible shot.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
That's a brilliant header.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AD Franch was racially harassed by a fan didn't the game last night.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Seattle Reign FC vs Orlando Pride, only 24 minutes into the game and Darian Jenkins scores two all by her lonesome, and Beverly Yanez scores another not five minutes later to put Reign up 3-0.

Game currently delayed 30 mins due to weather delay (possible lightning) and their lights don't seem to be working.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Seattle Reign FC vs Orlando Pride, only 24 minutes into the game and Darian Jenkins scores two all by her lonesome, and Beverly Yanez scores another not five minutes later to put Reign up 3-0.

Game currently delayed 30 mins due to weather delay (possible lightning) and their lights don't seem to be working.
Marc Skinner has had a hilariously bad debut season with Orlando. I mean, they're worse than Sky Blue ffs

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ashlynn Harris looked asleep at the wheel all of those goals, but GIRLFRIEND reminded me she has family in Florida and could be preoccupied with issues regarding the past hurricane.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Now that most of the euro leagues are underway, added tables to the OP. Italy starts next week, and is Fiorentina v Florentina a derby? Because that seems pretty awesome.

France

Germany

Denmark

Spain

Mexico

USA

Sweden

Norway

England

Now just need to remember to keep them updated. Also kinda weird that Google refused to give me a table for the English league.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 8, 2019

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

Now that most of the euro leagues are underway, added tables to the OP. Italy starts next week, and is Fiorentina v Florentina a derby? Because that seems pretty awesome.

Yes, but it’s not truly an inter - city one. Florentia is based in San Gimignano which is close to Florence but is a part of Siena technically. Florentia was the name of a Roman city that eventually became modern day Florence.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Already appreciate the FA Player letting me watch FAWSL games in the US with no issues.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Speaking of Italy, AS Roma is playing a friendly against PSG right now and streaming it. Second half just started: https://twitter.com/ASRomaWomen/status/1170706444993224704

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

25 minutes into the North Carolina - Portland match and NC is up 3-0. Impressive showing by the Courage so far.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Portland eating poo poo is totally my jam

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Analog posted:

25 minutes into the North Carolina - Portland match and NC is up 3-0. Impressive showing by the Courage so far.
This game was going to be tough for NC no matter what. They played in New Jersey on Saturday, then flew to Portland without going home, and then they have to fly back to North Carolina after this game so they can play this weekend.

Kind of ridiculous, and yet they're shithousing Portland in Providence Park.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Bad news folks...it didn't stay 3-0

https://twitter.com/NWSL/status/1172013543375462400

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's a paddlin. Jesus. I would not have expected that result in a million years.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Watching the highlights, the first goal was set up by an absolutely divine dummy move by Jess McDonald. No shame there. The second goal was a real nice bit of positioning and skill to get the rebound and then the deflection into the net after an absolute banger off the post from range. There was some ball watching from the Thorns defense, but it's more a lucky bounce than anything their fault.

After that... eeesh, it was a rough fuckin' night for the Thorns backline and keeper. The third goal is a horrorshow. Ball watching defenders failing to react to the cross at all and leaving Lynn Williams entirely alone at the front of the net with three Thorns defenders standing around. The fourth goal is also a defensive miscue, and perhaps some confusion. Defender Emily Menges should have been able to cut out the cross to Crystal Dunn, and/or Adrianna Franch should have come out and taken the ball instead of getting caught reacting to a point blank shot. I think the fault lies more in Franch, since Menges was facing the goal and might have been concerned about putting in an OG with a miss hit. The fifth goal is a rocket from Lynn Williams, which was well taken, but she was wide open after fullback Katherine Reynolds left her all alone, and she had space and time to take her shot. Reynolds was caught napping again on the last goal, letting Kristen Hamilton leak out towards the goal line, and then Hamilton scores a great goal from an incredibly narrow angle by chipping the keeper. Seriously, that's my goal of the match right there.

I'm guessing Reynolds got rated a something like a 3 or a 4 for that performance. I can only tell so much from a highlights clip, but She didn't seem to be closing down at all in the first half, and then was at fault on at least two of the second half goals.

e: In unrelated news, my Rose Lavelle USWNT jersey FINALLY shipped. I ordered it right after the World Cup final from the official store... and then crickets for over a month. I disputed the charge on my card, so we'll see if I end up getting it for free.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fiorentina is streaming their UWCL against Arsenal here: http://live.violachannel.tv/

I think it starts in 10 minutes.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looks like I chose the right night to say "Holy gently caress I've been at the stadium enough the past 2 months."

Also, despite enforcing the bullshit MLS ban on political speech for Thorns games too they had a swearing in ceremony for recently enlisted troops at half.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

villa did a cool video of the run up to the match at Villa Park against Blackburn (which they won 2-1, the scoreline flattering Blackburn a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyRLijQcSvw

pretty neat! increasing the days of training must have quite a positive effect. unfortunately only 1200 showed up to VP, quite a bit short of last year's 1600.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

highme posted:

Looks like I chose the right night to say "Holy gently caress I've been at the stadium enough the past 2 months."

Also, despite enforcing the bullshit MLS ban on political speech for Thorns games too they had a swearing in ceremony for recently enlisted troops at half.

SuPpOrTiNg OuR tRoOpS iSnT pOliTiCaL

Fiorentina got loving hammered by Arsenal 4-0; that was kinda predictable. They barely scraped in to the CL as it is and Arsenal are good.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

"My god, that woman has a family!"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

FINALLY got my Rose LaVelle USWNT jersey on Friday. Ordered it on July 7. The wait was frustrating as hell, but I can say it looks real drat nice.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Now you need to go to Holland and wear it

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

FINALLY got my Rose LaVelle USWNT jersey on Friday. Ordered it on July 7. The wait was frustrating as hell, but I can say it looks real drat nice.
Had to wait months to see a Rose LaVelle thing

sounds kind of like her club career heh heh :smith:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

highme posted:

AD Franch was racially harassed by a fan didn't the game last night.

Good news:

https://twitter.com/NWSL/status/1172887765031239680

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

North Carolina put up half a dozen goals again today good lord

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

North Carolina put up half a dozen goals again today good lord

Against Orlando? Not surprised

Orlando scored? :eyepop:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

Against Orlando? Not surprised

Orlando scored? :eyepop:

Orlando scoring this season is always a minor miracle

Can't loving wait until we can stop pretending Kristen Edmonds is good at anything. She's been inexplicably terrible since she got one whole USWNT call-up (which she didn't even dress for the game).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

This is the opening weekend for Serie A, only one match left to play. Milan and Juve have been the only winners so far, Milan defeated Roma 3-0 and Juve defeating Empoli 2-1. Everyone else has played to a scoring draw.

I realized this too late but Roma was streaming their match on Twitter for free; I’m hoping they keep doing it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Villa just demolished Palace away 0-6, another hat trick for Melissa Johnson giving her 7 in four matches so far.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Really frustrating to watch the Spirit give up the lead twice, but another good crowd at Audi Field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

OP updated with the Italian league table!

e: as of last week the NWSL was drawing about 17% more fans YOY from last year, to an average of 7k per game. That's obviously partly because the Thorns draw so well* but every single team has seen double digit % increases in attendance except for the Courage (up only 1%) and the Dash (up 9%), That Courage number is disappointing given how good the team is and that stadium capacity is 10,000.

* The Thorns are up over 3,000 in average attendance to nearly 20,000 a match... a number that tops 6 MLB teams and most NBA/NHL teams would be envious of!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 15, 2019