Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

TheMaestroso posted:

It works really well with the red Cavalier - pumps your guys AND gives them haste, so each subsequent creature creates a snowball effect.

So play this on turn 4 plus any other spell you might like, then on turn 5 you play the cavalier and rummage your whole hand looking for the other two combo pieces, ilharg and end-raze forerunner. Double pump for well over 20 trampling damage, neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

The old rules were a disaster that I've never really understood, but I can tell you that at one point in the game if there was a Lightning Bolt and a Giant Growth targeting the same Grizzly Bear, that Grizzly Bear would not die regardless of the order in which they were cast.

I recall being told at one point a real control deck win condition was to City of Brass yourself down to zero and then Mirror Universe your 0 life to your opponent. Other fun ones: getting down to 0 life in pros bloom and since your wincon was Drain Life you would eventually drain your way back up to a positive life total before the end of the phase.

There's also Wall of Boom, which I'm not even going to attempt to describe because it goes past making no drat sense so here's a link

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Whoever invented "put the spells in a stack and then resolve them starting with the one on top of the stack" deserves a nobel prize in gaming.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

There's also Wall of Boom, which I'm not even going to attempt to describe because it goes past making no drat sense so here's a link

I actually was not aware that you needed Stasis in the combo; I thought that the magma mine could also be activated in the between-turns step. :v:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Owlbear Camus posted:

Whoever invented "put the spells in a stack and then resolve them starting with the one on top of the stack" deserves a nobel prize in gaming.

As I learned later that comes from lame computer poo poo for lame-os.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(abstract_data_type)

And what judge came up with the idea of an "in-between turns" phase?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Elyv posted:

I recall being told at one point a real control deck win condition was to City of Brass yourself down to zero and then Mirror Universe your 0 life to your opponent. Other fun ones: getting down to 0 life in pros bloom and since your wincon was Drain Life you would eventually drain your way back up to a positive life total before the end of the phase.

It wasn't even City of Brass, it was mana burn. Every one of your lands was a potential win condition with Mirror Universe back then!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

It wasn't even City of Brass, it was mana burn. Every one of your lands was a potential win condition with Mirror Universe back then!

mana burn still only happened at end of phase so the last point needed to come from a City, I think

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Fires seems like it has potential. You could tap some mana dorks, use a free spell to untap all creatures, and then use your lands + mana dorks + floating mana to do something big for your 2nd spell. Or maybe you could play a teferi + any other 4-5 drop, bounce your fires, and then play another 5-drop. Maybe you could mess your opponent up by flashing it on their turn somehow? A couple turns of you playing free 4 or 5 mana cards and your opponent having to tap lands like a goddamn idiot should put you pretty far ahead. What are some other good ways to return a permanent to your hand while advancing your game plan?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GoutPatrol posted:

And what judge came up with the idea of an "in-between turns" phase?

Time Vault is a broken rear end magic card and for years they used power level errata and strange rulings to keep it both technically functional and also keep it from breaking the game.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
In-between turns phase is your opponent's endstep, when you play spells.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hellsau posted:

Time Vault is a broken rear end magic card and for years they used power level errata and strange rulings to keep it both technically functional and also keep it from breaking the game.

Funnily enough it now basically has its as-printed functionality (at least, I don't see any cases where it'd be different) and it turns out that it just doesn't break the game, at least not any more so than other cards in the only format where it's legal anyway.

Looking up the Alpha wording has made me realize that I want the two individuals depicted in the Alpha art, or at least recognizable representatives of their species/organizations, to come back in some form. That's some pretty drat good art for 1993 Magic.

Production
Jun 11, 2001

JerryLee posted:

Funnily enough it now basically has its as-printed functionality (at least, I don't see any cases where it'd be different) and it turns out that it just doesn't break the game, at least not any more so than other cards in the only format where it's legal anyway.

Looking up the Alpha wording has made me realize that I want the two individuals depicted in the Alpha art, or at least recognizable representatives of their species/organizations, to come back in some form. That's some pretty drat good art for 1993 Magic.

The one on the right looks kinda Neurok/Moriok, so maybe something like that will be on New Phyrexia the next time around.

Production fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 15, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

JerryLee posted:

I mean, it kinda does, in that it’s one of the format-defining win conditions in the highest power format in the game.
But that’s fine. That’s what vintage is about.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Did any successful deck ever use Time Vault “honestly”, by banking turns and spending them later? It’s hard to envision.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

nrook posted:

Did any successful deck ever use Time Vault “honestly”, by banking turns and spending them later? It’s hard to envision.

I could see a winter orb/stasis kind of shell getting away with it, but when you've frozen the game out with that sort of thing it seems immaterial whether or not you skip a turn or bank a turn to take two in a row when your opponent's turns don't do anything but draw them another card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

nrook posted:

People have taken extra turns with it in a fair way, but no deck has ever put it in the deck to be used fairly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Time Vault has also had fucktons of errata over the years. The only one I remember offhand is for a while it had functional errata similar to the extra turn text on Magosi, the Waterveil to stop the Voltaic Key shenanigans.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is there an effect like The Abyss but more crippling, where it's symmetrical but you could dodge it by banking a turn and make it hit your opponent twice in a row, then bouncing it or something...? IDK doesn't seem like a lot of "fair" timevault ideas that don't rely on you having the game on lock without it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there an effect like The Abyss but more crippling, where it's symmetrical but you could dodge it by banking a turn and make it hit your opponent twice in a row, then bouncing it or something...? IDK doesn't seem like a lot of "fair" timevault ideas that don't rely on you having the game on lock without it.

Stasis + Kismet + Chronatog. All their lands, dudes, and fast mana come in tapped, they never untap, and you never take a turn so you don't have to pay any Stasis upkeep. Nothing to do with Time Vault, but if you want to win by loving your opponent over and skipping turns, that is the deck.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Elyv posted:

Time Vault has also had fucktons of errata over the years. The only one I remember offhand is for a while it had functional errata similar to the extra turn text on Magosi, the Waterveil to stop the Voltaic Key shenanigans.

And then that version of time vault created another two card win condition because you could keep skipping additional turns to untap Time Vault as many times as you wanted and burn your opponent out with a machine gun time vault thanks to Flame Fusillade. For some reason it was right around this time that Wizards decided that power level erta weren't worth the trouble and abandoned the practice.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I guess I should post this in the main thread too - I won the weekly MTGO Pauper Challenge last week, and did an interview with my thoughts on the format.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7369311-tron-makes-fools-of-us-all-ft-hellsau

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Dude I love you but I really need that Duelist scan with the OG trade sharking article like you would not believe.

Oh poo poo sorry I knew there was something I was planning to do.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hellsau posted:

I guess I should post this in the main thread too - I won the weekly MTGO Pauper Challenge last week, and did an interview with my thoughts on the format.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7369311-tron-makes-fools-of-us-all-ft-hellsau

I like your sliver.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

jassi007 posted:

Stasis + Kismet + Chronatog. All their lands, dudes, and fast mana come in tapped, they never untap, and you never take a turn so you don't have to pay any Stasis upkeep. Nothing to do with Time Vault, but if you want to win by loving your opponent over and skipping turns, that is the deck.

Note that this was a tier 1 deck in Mirage block standard, alongside Prosbloom. You could probably do the combo in Modern with Chronatog Totem and some jank shenanigans to loop the turn skip.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

nrook posted:

The predecessor of vintage Stax decks (discussed early in this article) used Time Vault about as "honestly" as I've ever seen it used. Namely, it played one along with a set of Meditates to force its opponents to sit and think about the choices in life that led them to the point where they were staring at Smokestacks and Tangle Wires across the table from them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/187535331893/is-cleric-considered-a-spellcaster-type-are

warlocks are the black wizards.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Wow, racist

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Silhouette posted:

Note that this was a tier 1 deck in Mirage block standard, alongside Prosbloom. You could probably do the combo in Modern with Chronatog Totem and some jank shenanigans to loop the turn skip.

Nah. This was never T1.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My basic understanding of how the most prominent RPG classes work:

Wizards = Burst damage, 1HKO, nuke you from the sky out of nowhere, glass cannon
Warlocks = Cripplers, debuffers, poisoners, disease
Witches = Curses, gently caress with your RNG, slowly kill you and steal all your stuff
Sorcerers = Wizards but less spell diversity offset by more individual spell power, every spell has a drawback
Mages = Illusions, summons, creature buffs
Clerics = Heal your rear end then go smack with a tiny hammer that usually does nothing and win by attrition
Druids = Make mana to summon things stronger than druids

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tom Gorman posted:

My basic understanding of how the most prominent RPG classes work:

Wizards = Burst damage, 1HKO, nuke you from the sky out of nowhere, glass cannon
Warlocks = Cripplers, debuffers, poisoners, disease
Witches = Curses, gently caress with your RNG, slowly kill you and steal all your stuff
Sorcerers = Wizards but less spell diversity offset by more individual spell power, every spell has a drawback
Mages = Illusions, summons, creature buffs
Clerics = Heal your rear end then go smack with a tiny hammer that usually does nothing and win by attrition
Druids = Make mana to summon things stronger than druids

Wizards are Blue so they do everything the other classes do

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
you forgot shamans

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kurtofan posted:

you forgot shamans

totems

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Shamans aren't in D&D

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sampatrick posted:

Shamans aren't in D&D

They were in 3.5 and 4th edition.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Shamans aren't in D&D

Fortunately mtg isn't D&D either

Kurieg posted:

They were in 3.5 and 4th edition.

and 1st and 2nd

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Would Fires of Invention and Bontu go hand-and-hand? You play Fires, then Bontu, you sack the lands for 4 card draws, play one more spell. If this can stay up, you can cast anything you need. Only downside I see is the crutch of 2 spells only on your turn and if they have Mortify...

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

still need the lands for CMC even if you aren't tapping them, though

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Waffleopolis posted:

Would Fires of Invention and Bontu go hand-and-hand? You play Fires, then Bontu, you sack the lands for 4 card draws, play one more spell. If this can stay up, you can cast anything you need. Only downside I see is the crutch of 2 spells only on your turn and if they have Mortify...

(A) You still need lands
(B) You only get one more spell after Fires, so if it's Bontu, that's all.
(C) Enchantment destruction exists.

So, no, this plan sucks.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Toshimo posted:

(A) You still need lands
(B) You only get one more spell after Fires, so if it's Bontu, that's all.
(C) Enchantment destruction exists.

So, no, this plan sucks.

Worst theorycraft ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Best idea is still red Cavalier, Big Pig, and Lots of Pigs (approx. 30-50)