Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Chakotay and Harry literally never grow or develop in a permanent way, Tom Paris gets Flanderized into "overgrown teen who likes hot rods" and Tuvok ends up used mostly as a psychic setpiece after Kes leaves, if not Security With A Name.
Janeway's descent into madness is fun to watch, Seven and the Doctor are great. B'Elanna deserves better than she got. I feel like those four would have been enough to carry the entire show if the writers didn't have to pretend to care about like 10 other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's why I don't get people complaining that Discovery doesn't do enough with the bridge crew - all the TNG-era shows had problems with the cast being too big for everyone to get proper development. Even on DS9, it feels like Bashir exists more out of a vague sense that they were obligated to have a doctor in the main cast, rather than because they actually had any idea what to do with him. Better to start with a small number of key characters and then expand if you need to instead of setting up a dozen characters then only finding time to actually focus on three or four.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

It's why I don't get people complaining that Discovery doesn't do enough with the bridge crew - all the TNG-era shows had problems with the cast being too big for everyone to get proper development. Even on DS9, it feels like Bashir exists more out of a vague sense that they were obligated to have a doctor in the main cast, rather than because they actually had any idea what to do with him. Better to start with a small number of key characters and then expand if you need to instead of setting up a dozen characters then only finding time to actually focus on three or four.

People wanted more bridge crew because it would mean less Burnham.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

piratepilates posted:

I wonder how long it takes the actors to figure out that they've been golden handcuffed in something like this. it must be real fun to do it for the jumping off of the show and the pilot, but at some point it has to dawn on you that this is contractually the next 6 years of your life.

Didn't Beltran admit (after the fact) that pretty soon after season one started he just sorta gave up and was happy to draw a paycheck and then retire comfortably and live off residuals?

Back when a Star Trek regular casting still meant an actor was probably set for life financially if they wanted to be, as long as they stuck around for all seven seasons and didn't really have any plans or aspirations to act in anything else afterwards :v:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Beltran admitted during like, season 3 that he was phoning it in because he was frustrated with the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

They changed the lighting and took out a wall in order to add a corridor.

I don’t know how I’ve never noticed that corridor before. It looks so weird.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think that corridor was there in the verrrry early 'how many Engineering chiefs do we have again' TNG days? - at each end of the pool table there were four corridors, branching out in the shape of a capital H.

Like this, red lines mine:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Another fun fact about Beltran: he hates people spreading that story because it's harmful to his professional reputation.

But star trek fans love nothing more than gossip, true or not.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

curiousTerminal posted:

Chakotay and Harry literally never grow or develop in a permanent way, Tom Paris gets Flanderized into "overgrown teen who likes hot rods" and Tuvok ends up used mostly as a psychic setpiece after Kes leaves, if not Security With A Name.
Janeway's descent into madness is fun to watch, Seven and the Doctor are great. B'Elanna deserves better than she got. I feel like those four would have been enough to carry the entire show if the writers didn't have to pretend to care about like 10 other people.

"Riddles", the season 6 Tuvok/Neelix episode where he gets amnesia, stops acting like a Vulcan, and starts to become a baker was a good late-Voyager episode, but otherwise all Tuvok's best episodes are in the first half of the series. Starting with season 4, when he has more focus than being at his station, it's either because a mind-mend is needed to solve someone's scrambled-brains problem, or he's there so the character who is featured in the episode isn't talking to himself or herself.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 14, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mossyfisk posted:

Another fun fact about Beltran: he hates people spreading that story because it's harmful to his professional reputation.

Has dude acted in... anything?... since Voyager?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mostly theatre I think. Properly managed Star Trek money means you don’t have to do much you don’t want to do.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

More random TNG thoughts as I rewatch.

Ensign Ro is such a refreshing character, and her initial reception on the Enterprise when everyone hates her is really similar to when Michael first arrives on the Discovery. Did we ever find out what exactly Ro did? They just said a bunch of crew were killed and she didn't defend herself at the court martial.

Disaster is really good but Troi taking charge on the bridge is so silly. Picard is on top form with his executive officers in charge of radishes.

The Game is really awful.

Unification- :spock:

A Matter of Time is good fun but I don't really know why the fake time traveller wasn't immediately rumbled by Troi. He's just a regular human.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Even in your pessimism you quote Galaxy Quest, which is good and shows trek + comedy = good is a valid equation

Sometimes at least, which is where the hope comes in

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

They changed the lighting and took out a wall in order to add a corridor.

The corridor was always there as part of the movable set elements.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 14, 2019

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The Bloop posted:

Even in your pessimism you quote Galaxy Quest, which is good and shows trek + comedy = good is a valid equation

Sometimes at least, which is where the hope comes in

:stare: I did??

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

marktheando posted:

A Matter of Time is good fun but I don't really know why the fake time traveller wasn't immediately rumbled by Troi. He's just a regular human.

IIRC she says he’s clearly hiding something but Picard handwaves it with “Of course he is, he can’t risk changing our futures by telling us :shepface:” and everyone just shrugs at her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd just go with a good episode that hits most of the bases. Trouble with Tribbles is classic Star Trek, gives most of the main cast some time to shine, and if the viewer is hooked they'll feel rewarded if they stick around through DS9.

Really what suckers me into series is getting caught up in watching little youtube clips, which is a lot more helpful for older material that is so much slower so that if you get started on a clunker, you'll feel trapped forever. I remember trying to get started with Doctor Who on The Three Doctors, which is so loving slow at the beginning my god.

I don't know what kinda writing lower decks is going to have, but I hate those tiny, tiny hands that could fit inside the character's nose. I guess there's some odd choices with the uniforms too.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

marktheando posted:

More random TNG thoughts as I rewatch.

Ensign Ro is such a refreshing character, and her initial reception on the Enterprise when everyone hates her is really similar to when Michael first arrives on the Discovery. Did we ever find out what exactly Ro did? They just said a bunch of crew were killed and she didn't defend herself at the court martial.

Disaster is really good but Troi taking charge on the bridge is so silly. Picard is on top form with his executive officers in charge of radishes.

The Game is really awful.

Unification- :spock:

Ensign Ro also shows that Riker is actually a dick unless you're part of the senior staff. He gives her poo poo for wearing her earring but is perfectly fine with Worf wearing his sash. Riker being a dick is also reinforced in Tapestry when Picard asks about going into command and Riker tells him he sucks too much for that. I think he was also a dick to the crewmen in Lower Decks but I could be remembering that one wrong.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Humerus posted:

Ensign Ro also shows that Riker is actually a dick unless you're part of the senior staff. He gives her poo poo for wearing her earring but is perfectly fine with Worf wearing his sash. Riker being a dick is also reinforced in Tapestry when Picard asks about going into command and Riker tells him he sucks too much for that. I think he was also a dick to the crewmen in Lower Decks but I could be remembering that one wrong.

It's part of the First Officer's job to be a dick, though. The XO is the person who handles scheduling, personnel and discipline, and the XO is the person who implements the decisions made by the captain. So Riker's the one giving you the crappy duty shift, or telling you in your evaluation how much you suck, or assigning you punishment duty because you overslept and were late or your uniform was messy. Picard doesn't do any of that stuff. He sits in his office and tells Riker to do it. Riker's the dick so that Picard doesn't have to be.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

But star trek fans love nothing more than gossip, true or not.

He should probably not run down Voyager every chance he gets then

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another highlight of Ensign Ro (the episode not the character) is the bit where Ro removes the top part of her uniform like a jacket. They should have done stuff like that more often. Future space fabric poo poo.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Epicurius posted:

It's part of the First Officer's job to be a dick, though. The XO is the person who handles scheduling, personnel and discipline, and the XO is the person who implements the decisions made by the captain. So Riker's the one giving you the crappy duty shift, or telling you in your evaluation how much you suck, or assigning you punishment duty because you overslept and were late or your uniform was messy. Picard doesn't do any of that stuff. He sits in his office and tells Riker to do it. Riker's the dick so that Picard doesn't have to be.

I get that but it's kind of at odds with the image of Riker as being the super friendly, affable guy the show usually projects. It would have been nice to get the show Fuller talked about that was about junior officers and not the bridge crew before Discovery became all about the bridge crew anyway.

Speaking of Discovery, nobody even tried to pick a "best" episode which is pretty telling. I guess I'd say the one where they discovered the sphere and got the info from it, but then the season became about the not-borg and Section 31 so the episode is kinda soured to me. The follow up to The Cage was great but a non-fan wouldn't really get much from it I think.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Mudd time loop from season one is pretty good and works as a stand-alone I think.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the sphere and time loop episodes are good poo poo. The ep where Saru saves his people is cool and good too.

TNG- another Troi gets violated episode, this one is literally called 'violations'. Again they return to this kind of poo poo.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Grand Fromage posted:

The Mudd time loop from season one is pretty good and works as a stand-alone I think.

This and the universal translator one with the Sphere are both great standalones.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

marktheando posted:

TNG- another Troi gets violated episode, this one is literally called 'violations'. Again they return to this kind of poo poo.

It's such a staple of the show they had to throw it in Nemesis too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Drone posted:

I did a nerdthing and bought a nerdthing.

It's one of the QMx prop-quality ones sold by Anovos. Sure it's just a hunk of metal and some magnets but I actually kinda like it :shobon:

Oof. 55 bucks for the Niners baseball hat.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/13/star-trek-the-motion-picture-tmp-enterprise-refit-drydock-douglas-trumbull

Kind of interesting interview with the special effects director for TMP. Not really any new information here but I'd never seen these pictures of the actual drydock shoot so that's something.

So anyone else going to see TMP tomorrow? I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Aside from the JJ movies I've only seen The Voyage Home in a theater. The theatrical cut of TMP isn't drastically different from the Director's right? I've only ever seen it on DVD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Humerus posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/13/star-trek-the-motion-picture-tmp-enterprise-refit-drydock-douglas-trumbull

Kind of interesting interview with the special effects director for TMP. Not really any new information here but I'd never seen these pictures of the actual drydock shoot so that's something.

So anyone else going to see TMP tomorrow? I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Aside from the JJ movies I've only seen The Voyage Home in a theater. The theatrical cut of TMP isn't drastically different from the Director's right? I've only ever seen it on DVD.

I was thinking about it, the theater is only 3 minutes from my house. But I think I'm going to pass because they is a no-effort theater release.

It's on the two dinky screens at my cinemark, so the apparent size isn't going to be much different than my 65" TV from my normal seating position. They haven't done a 4k restoration on it yet, so it's going to be a 2k master functionally identical to the blu-ray sitting on my shelf.

Had they gone all out, done a 4k restoration with an HDR grade and then released it into Dolby Cinemas (like Warner did with The Matrix), I would be first in line. As it stands, they are basically playing my blu-ray on a digital projector with shittier contrast ratio and sound than I have at home. I'm not paying $12.50 for that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The corridor was always there as part of the movable set elements.

Huh. Still blows my mind that so much of the "ship" as we saw in the show was basically just the same two or three corridors re-purposed over and over again.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cross-Section posted:

Huh. Still blows my mind that so much of the "ship" as we saw in the show was basically just the same two or three corridors re-purposed over and over again.

very smart to make the long one curved so you can't see the end of it and realize its not that long, and also the exact same one in every shot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Humerus posted:

It's such a staple of the show they had to throw it in Nemesis too.

Who's the worst all-time regular character, Troi or Neelix?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Travis Mayweather

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I like Troi, just wish the writers had done a better job with her.

Neelix is just awful.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Travis Mayweather
Who?

(It's Phlox, because he was a 'wacky foreigner alien with crazy ways lol' - who, er, committed genocide.)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

New store at the mall with a rad item I spotted.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Humerus posted:

I'm not the expert (they'll chime in soon enough) but I recall it actually is kind of drastic. Mostly just a lot better pacing. Really wish they had future proofed it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It’s Neelix by 10 miles

Troi isn’t bad, she just never got good material to work with

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gonz posted:

New store at the mall with a rad item I spotted.

Didn't that blueprint itself come with an AMT model kit of the Enterprise?

If so you're paying 499 for a nice frame and
pre:
Bill Shat
Capt. Kik
written in gold marker :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if the shows have the rights to use the models from the JJ movies now post-merger.

Most won't apply but I wouldn't object to seeing a Yorktown-class Starbase pop up in Picard.