Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The thing about Motormaster in that role is he’s tied to the Stunticons. So he’s not really available to be a foil to Optimus or anything, as he has to play the part of a Combiner team leader AND rival to the Aerialbots. There’s just too much baggage attached to him to play the role of evil twin.

Scourge is the better character between the three of them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

The thing about Motormaster in that role is he’s tied to the Stunticons. So he’s not really available to be a foil to Optimus or anything, as he has to play the part of a Combiner team leader AND rival to the Aerialbots. There’s just too much baggage attached to him to play the role of evil twin.

Scourge is the better character between the three of them anyway.

Eh, debatable.

Scourge just gets the unique honor of being a Black Repaint Optimus that WASN'T A black repaint Optimus of the Optimus in his own series.

That's something that I do find fun about RiD, ahving to throw all these different toys into one show. They should do that again, just grab any random figure from the last 40 years and throw them all into one show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s note that Motormaster is lacking decent or memorable fiction; he’s remembered more for being the core of a Combiner than anything he’s actually done. Nemesis Prime likewise has only ever been a mindless drone or a brute in the majority of his appearances.

Scourge got to be a main character and between him and Sky-Byte, they were two of the most dynamic characters in the show, with Scourge driving a fair degree of the plot. It’s no contest between the three, really.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I always liked the various interpretations where Motormaster considers himself Optimus' TRUE nemesis, meanwhile Optimus has only met him once. Plays into the fact that Motormaster has never really done anything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is that MP Star Saber, or a 3rd party version? Since the original never came out in the U.S., I'm not familiar with the character, but he always looks like he's from a different toy line.

Kinda is, Star Saber was worked on by Kunio Okawara, who has a list of mecha designs longer than your arm to his name. There's definitely bits of the Gundam and Xabungle in there.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

I get it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Nodosaur posted:

It’s note that Motormaster is lacking decent or memorable fiction; he’s remembered more for being the core of a Combiner than anything he’s actually done. Nemesis Prime likewise has only ever been a mindless drone or a brute in the majority of his appearances.

Scourge got to be a main character and between him and Sky-Byte, they were two of the most dynamic characters in the show, with Scourge driving a fair degree of the plot. It’s no contest between the three, really.

my memories of the stunticons are kind of skewed by how little of the G1 cartoon I actually saw as a kid. I was born after G1 was over, but I did get a few VHS tapes of the cartoon. One of them had 'Key to Vector Sigma' and 'Masquerade' on, and given that it was one of a handful of tapes I had I guess I assumed the stunticons were going to be major characters.

the UK vhs tapes were really hosed up looking, here's a pic of some from an ebay listing i just looked up:

I had I think that entire top row, and it is literally only now that I am realising that is powermaster optimus on the Return of Optimus Prime tape, I had assumed for years that whoever did the painting just couldn't draw optimus right. Which given all the off-model and box art versions of transformers on those covers, was a fair assumption.

Scourge and Sky-Byte were definitely the best parts of RiD for me. I liked that Scourge was more of an accidental clone of Optimus than anything, and that he caused a lot of problems for the decepticons because of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

EthanSteele posted:

I always liked the various interpretations where Motormaster considers himself Optimus' TRUE nemesis, meanwhile Optimus has only met him once. Plays into the fact that Motormaster has never really done anything.

Kinda is, Star Saber was worked on by Kunio Okawara, who has a list of mecha designs longer than your arm to his name. There's definitely bits of the Gundam and Xabungle in there.

Which is in fact an understatement on just how many designs he's done, for the Gundam franchise alone he's probably done somewhere between 500 and 1000 designs

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

my memories of the stunticons are kind of skewed by how little of the G1 cartoon I actually saw as a kid. I was born after G1 was over, but I did get a few VHS tapes of the cartoon. One of them had 'Key to Vector Sigma' and 'Masquerade' on, and given that it was one of a handful of tapes I had I guess I assumed the stunticons were going to be major characters.

the UK vhs tapes were really hosed up looking, here's a pic of some from an ebay listing i just looked up:

I had I think that entire top row, and it is literally only now that I am realising that is powermaster optimus on the Return of Optimus Prime tape, I had assumed for years that whoever did the painting just couldn't draw optimus right. Which given all the off-model and box art versions of transformers on those covers, was a fair assumption.

Scourge and Sky-Byte were definitely the best parts of RiD for me. I liked that Scourge was more of an accidental clone of Optimus than anything, and that he caused a lot of problems for the decepticons because of it.

They really got their money's worth out of that Megatron key art.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I think you're overthinking it. RiD just wanted to reuse that cool Laser Optimus mold even though their Optimus was now a fire engine, and that mold just looks very, very different from Motormaster, so from that is born this weird "tainted autobot" plotline. Wouldn't be surprised if there were also considerations for maybe doing a stunticon RiD release at some point.

When I tried watching more of the series than what I saw as a kid, I thought it was funny how they put all that effort into the Decepticons getting some ground guys and the Autobots getting some air guys, and then like the next episode the Combaticons just show up and go "Hey, we were here all along" like it's nothing. The show had absolutely no rules for anything.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

When I tried watching more of the series than what I saw as a kid, I thought it was funny how they put all that effort into the Decepticons getting some ground guys and the Autobots getting some air guys, and then like the next episode the Combaticons just show up and go "Hey, we were here all along" like it's nothing. The show had absolutely no rules for anything.

The Combaticons don't do that at all. They have a full origin episode and everything. They may be out of order due to production order vs. airing order depending on the set you're watching.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You know, would be a fun twist on the multitude of origin stories for various Transformers for a new series if you had it so only like 1 to 3 members of each faction be the usual "several million year old war weary veterans from Cybertron" sort, and the rest of the Autobots and Decepticons all be freshly born on Earth(like say the first episode/issue has Optimus and Megatron battle on the Moon over the All-Spark and the fight ends with it detonating and blanketing the Earth with it's energies, birthing dozens or even hundreds of new Cybertronians in it's wake)

Figure you could get some good stories out of such a premise

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Keldroc posted:

The Combaticons don't do that at all. They have a full origin episode and everything. They may be out of order due to production order vs. airing order depending on the set you're watching.

Now the Protectobots I think just show up out of nowhere.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

iirc the combiner teams that show up out of nowhere are:

- Protectobots (show up randomly to fight the insecticons i think?)
- Terrorcons (are just there one day)
- Predacons (summoned from fireballs by the quintessons (???))

the new ones made on earth are:

- Constructicons
- Aerialbots
- Technobots
- Stunticons

now uh, despite being made on earth in their first appearance, the constructicons appear in a bunch of flashbacks to the cybertron era, so who the gently caress knows where they come from. The Combaticons were existing personalities/sparks who got given new bodies on Earth, but I think they're the only combiner team who are canonically millions of years old. Everyone else is either new or not explained.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 15, 2019

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

But the Predacons and Terrorcons have the excuse of a 2 decade time jump to 2005, so there's a lot of uncharted time for them to be made.

Hotspot and the gang should've gotten an origin episode.

MAYBE THAT WILL BE MY NEW FAN FICTION

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i think a lot of the new transformers who show up after the timeskip are justified as 'eh they were off somewhere else in the galaxy', at least for the new autobot guys like kup and springer. the predacons i remember being summoned down in fireball form by the quintessons, to attack blur and wheelie when they are on one of jupiter's moons fighting hanna-barbera cartoon bats.

as a kid i thought the predacons were quintesson minions, like a fancier version of the sharkticons or the crocodile guys.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you really get into it, you could start counting individuals that kinda pop out of nowhere too. The Autobots seem like they just kinda double in number after a little while, and there sure as hell were no triple-changers in the initial Decepticon crew.

Also technically the Aerialbots were made on Cybertron :v:

drrockso20 posted:

You know, would be a fun twist on the multitude of origin stories for various Transformers for a new series if you had it so only like 1 to 3 members of each faction be the usual "several million year old war weary veterans from Cybertron" sort, and the rest of the Autobots and Decepticons all be freshly born on Earth(like say the first episode/issue has Optimus and Megatron battle on the Moon over the All-Spark and the fight ends with it detonating and blanketing the Earth with it's energies, birthing dozens or even hundreds of new Cybertronians in it's wake)

You've just described the setup to Beast Wars.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

And the Technobots on Unicron

Never trust a clown

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it'd be faster to list the transformers who DIDN'T pop up out of nowhere.

i think all the second batch of mini-vehicles (powerglide, warpath, cosmos etc) turn up at random, all the triple changers except sandstorm (who is from some planet who gets attacked in the 2005 era) come from nowhere, ultra magnus, kup, arcee, blur all appear in the movie with no explanation.

edit: well, i figured out one potential reason for there not being much motormaster after G1, his voice actor died in 1986 :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spiderdrake posted:

And the Technobots on Unicron

Never trust a clown

The Technobots sprang from the brow of Grimlock, like a Cybertronian Athena.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you really get into it, you could start counting individuals that kinda pop out of nowhere too. The Autobots seem like they just kinda double in number after a little while, and there sure as hell were no triple-changers in the initial Decepticon crew.

With the Decepticons you at least have the excuse of them having a working space bridge. The Autobots just seem to double the roster all of a sudden and nobody says anything about it. I guess Shockwave is really bad at guarding the base.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you ever think Optimus wanders into the autobot base after their numbers swell out of nowhere, look around and just screams because he doesn't recognize anyone?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Burkion posted:

Do you ever think Optimus wanders into the autobot base after their numbers swell out of nowhere, look around and just screams because he doesn't recognize anyone?

"Who the gently caress is this Autobot?"

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

its especially weird that the main cast of the post-movie series just appear out of nowhere with no explanation. even hot rod, the new prime, is just suddenly there.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

drrockso20 posted:

Cybertronians as ultra-advanced von Neumann constructs intended to seed sentient worlds throughout the universe. Infinite generations of fresh-born beings, implanted with the memories of a pointless conflict on a long-dead world, destined to either wipe themselves out or supplant the native life and eventually snuff out the host world as well. No moral! The end.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

I never understood why they have to be millions of years old. In the original cartoon and comic book they were dormant for the great majority of that time, but later continuities have said the war went on that long. They act basically like humans so it's hard to picture them as these ancient beings. The recent comic kind of handwaved it with "information creep."

its especially weird that the main cast of the post-movie series just appear out of nowhere with no explanation. even hot rod, the new prime, is just suddenly there.

The cartoon actually did explain that the Autobots knew the post-movie characters and were reunited with them after they started traveling in space more often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8JBXoj1RU&t=26s

It's the people from season 2 who show up out of nowhere.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Blurr, the fastest bot on wheels.

Uh

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Burter doesn't have wheels

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

the fans toys stunticons do look super nice but theyre pricey. I loved motormaster and wildrider's voices, and any time dead end got stuck with one of the stupider stunticons was funny. i always thought it was insane that there was only one alternator stunticon, and it was a retool of an autobot. i would have expected them to be the logical choice for alternators decepticons, given that they're pretty much the only G1 car decepticons except for swindle and movie barricade

edit:

roadking is very handsome

I always wondered if the licensing for Alternators was super-pricey or something.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

GD_American posted:

I always wondered if the licensing for Alternators was super-pricey or something.

im guessing it was, considering how many times they reused each car. they all seemed to be like 'current' cars for the time, so maybe they didn't want a transformer who turned into a weird six-wheeled F1 car from the 70s

does anyone own roadking? what's the quality like on him?

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 15, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

You've just described the setup to Beast Wars.

Kinda, though on a much bigger scale

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Cybertronians as ultra-advanced von Neumann constructs intended to seed sentient worlds throughout the universe. Infinite generations of fresh-born beings, implanted with the memories of a pointless conflict on a long-dead world, destined to either wipe themselves out or supplant the native life and eventually snuff out the host world as well. No moral! The end.

Not quite what I had in mind

Action Jacktion posted:

I never understood why they have to be millions of years old. In the original cartoon and comic book they were dormant for the great majority of that time, but later continuities have said the war went on that long. They act basically like humans so it's hard to picture them as these ancient beings. The recent comic kind of handwaved it with "information creep."

The cartoon actually did explain that the Autobots knew the post-movie characters and were reunited with them after they started traveling in space more often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8JBXoj1RU&t=26s

It's the people from season 2 who show up out of nowhere.

Hence my idea, for the handful of surviving veterans of the original Cybertron war I'd be heavily playing up that they are pretty much all suffering from rather hefty amounts of trauma from it, and thus probably aren't the best bots to be raising children, especially since Megatron in particular is determined to restart the war now that there's a bunch of fresh recruits to use as well as a new battleground ripe with resources for the taking

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It almost makes more sense that the Movie new crew are actually the next generation, born after the war started back up in the 80s, since it was set in the far off future of the 2000s and all.

Hot Rod, Arcee and the rest weren't around because they literally didn't exist.

And then you cna have Prime freaking out about Cup showing up, calling him a liar every time he claims to be a vet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

im guessing it was, considering how many times they reused each car. they all seemed to be like 'current' cars for the time, so maybe they didn't want a transformer who turned into a weird six-wheeled F1 car from the 70s

RK is pretty glorious.

If you want to be amused go find the TFW thread for the FT Stunticons and read early replies where people tall mad poo poo about pants forming and then watch their brains brake when FT announces that Menasor is a suit former.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Road King is one of the best figures I have out of 1500+. Top 5 easy. Granted I am a big Stunticon fan, so I'm biased, but the fact that he can turn into the full cab and trailer comparable in size to MP-10's truck mode with no partsforming is amazing. There's a lot of panel folding and tabbing but the end results in both modes are phenomenal. If you get one I highly recommend EmGo's Just Transform It video on it because the instructions are...not great.

He also looks really good with the XTB limb bots, even if they can't combine with him.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Road King is one of the best figures I have out of 1500+. Top 5 easy. Granted I am a big Stunticon fan, so I'm biased, but the fact that he can turn into the full cab and trailer comparable in size to MP-10's truck mode with no partsforming is amazing. There's a lot of panel folding and tabbing but the end results in both modes are phenomenal. If you get one I highly recommend EmGo's Just Transform It video on it because the instructions are...not great.

He also looks really good with the XTB limb bots, even if they can't combine with him.

hmm i might have to get this guy. the stunticons are personal favourites for me too, do they have a wildrider yet?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

hmm i might have to get this guy. the stunticons are personal favourites for me too, do they have a wildrider yet?

No, just Road King and Spoiler (Breakdown) are out now. I would guess Wildrider (Magnum) will be next, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One day we'll get a MotorMaster who has such a large, long trailer that he's able to transport all of the stunticons inside of it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

as a kid i thought the predacons were quintesson minions, like a fancier version of the sharkticons or the crocodile guys.

Yeah this always bugged me as they had a perfectly good set of combiners they could have used as Quintessons elites with the Seacons, but instead they have the Predacons as Quintesson extras. But then most guys in the G1 cartoon were created by them anyway so it don't really matter...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Always wondered how things would have gone if they had decided not to do The Rebirth and had instead imported the three Japanese G1 shows(indeed I'll admit Hasbro not using a lot of the Japanese made content from that era has always been a little confusing)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah this always bugged me as they had a perfectly good set of combiners they could have used as Quintessons elites with the Seacons, but instead they have the Predacons as Quintesson extras. But then most guys in the G1 cartoon were created by them anyway so it don't really matter...

i realise ive said about 5 different decepticon combiner teams are personal favourites of mine, but my first exposure to the seacons was finding the shark one at a second-hand sale as a kid, and I was really taken with his weird limbed-shark alt mode and bright colours. I figured he was a combiner part because he had the same flip-out peg as the other combiners, but I never found the others. I also thought he was an attempt at a toy sharkticon, cause i was pretty used to how different the G1 toys could look from the show.

I hope someone makes some good third party seacons some day, so i can add them to the long list of dumb stuff I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The TFC set is pretty good.