Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kassad posted:

I've been trying it, it is pretty nice (other than the inevitable beta software bugs). It feels quite a bit faster on some sites like Twitter. Still wishing they'll enable extensions soon, though.

:same:

Oh, 70 Beta on desktop now has the new icon. I prefer the previous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Geemer posted:

Mobile doesn't even get 69, they released 68.1 for Android.
It's the beginning of the end for the mobile version. What with them working on that other app for mobile, that will no doubt be full of extremely Mozilla choices.

Other app? Forgive me I'm really out of the loop.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Other app? Forgive me I'm really out of the loop.

The app called "Firefox Preview" on the app store right now is what will eventually be the main Firefox for Android. It's got a new engine that's based on quantum but stripped down to be more competitive with chrome on phones. Also some different ideas about phone browser UI.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah so Firefox Mobile has a little issue on Android 10...

Everything else looks fine, it's just a graphical glitch on the Bookmarks/History page. It's like Firefox in CGA mode.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I don't see what the problem is

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I recommend highlighting the problem in that screenshot with a color that will stand out.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Looks better than ever.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
TechRadar videos still autoplay in 69. Not nice.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox Preview is actually quite nice on Android. Have you tried it?

I haven't. I just gave it a quick spin, but no uBO, language setting (I prefer my browser to be in English while keeping my phone set to Dutch) and the url bar being on the bottom combine together to make me not want to use it more than I have to.
I'll admit it felt pretty smooth for the bit that I did use it, though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Aw, they fixed the pink in today's update. Well it was fun while it lasted.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

~Coxy posted:

TechRadar videos still autoplay in 69. Not nice.

Do you mean they autoplay without sound? You can change in the settings whether you want to block both audio and video.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Why must they slowly and perfectly kill my ability to have tabs at the bottom of my screen?

Horrible transparency that makes it extremely annoying to read tab text, and now it overlaps with the Find section.

Thanks guys, you're really knocking it out of the park with these updates.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Why must they slowly and perfectly kill my ability to have tabs at the bottom of my screen?

Horrible transparency that makes it extremely annoying to read tab text, and now it overlaps with the Find section.

Thanks guys, you're really knocking it out of the park with these updates.

Are you using a custom theme or one of the default-included ones?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

astral posted:

Wow, I didn't know Firefox let you put tabs on the bottom.

Also, are you using a custom theme or one of the default-included ones?

They don't really, its taking more and more effort to force them down there. Like 6 years ago it was just a button you could press, then it became addons, now I'm pretty sure I'm running some poorly coded scripts to do it.

I've flipped through a few different themes since the newest update, and none of them are able to get rid of the automatic transparency on the inactive tabs. I'm tempted to go back to browsing like its 1999 and just have one firefox window per tab because this is extremely frustrating.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Applebees posted:

Do you mean they autoplay without sound? You can change in the settings whether you want to block both audio and video.

Yeah I have that blocked. They still autoplay somehow though.

(Actually, now I test it, I'm somewhat sure they're using the "Continue with Adblocker" link on the nag screen to count as a user interaction to start the video.)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Install umatrix and block all media globally, then whitelist whatever sites you want autoplay on.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Wheany posted:

Install umatrix and block all media globally, then whitelist whatever sites you want autoplay on.

I love a good nuclear option.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'll probably have to when more sites start doing this.

I played with it a bit more. Scrolling around the page, up and down, with the wheel, in the console I can see that their JS video player keeps trying to start. Firefox is correctly blocking it from starting.

(N.B. the console log message does not appear to be correct if you block muted video:)
code:
Autoplay is only allowed when approved by the user, the site is activated by the user, or media is muted.
But if you use the spacebar, that counts as as interaction somehow, maybe it can't tell whether the video is focused or not. And the video is allowed to play.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

~Coxy posted:

I'll probably have to when more sites start doing this.

I played with it a bit more. Scrolling around the page, up and down, with the wheel, in the console I can see that their JS video player keeps trying to start. Firefox is correctly blocking it from starting.

(N.B. the console log message does not appear to be correct if you block muted video:)
code:
Autoplay is only allowed when approved by the user, the site is activated by the user, or media is muted.
But if you use the spacebar, that counts as as interaction somehow, maybe it can't tell whether the video is focused or not. And the video is allowed to play.

I like how for twitter clicking anywhere on the window (including the windows ui scrollbar) counts as letting every video autoplay

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Good news! Extension support is now on the roadmap for Firefox Mobile.

https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/fenix/issues/5315

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Double Punctuation posted:

Good news! Extension support is now on the roadmap for Firefox Mobile.

https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/fenix/issues/5315

Finally! I can't believe they didn't have this as a release blocker on their original roadmaps. Extensions are pretty much the only reason for a normal person to use Firefox on Android.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there really no way to make Firefox move to the tab to the left when closing a tab?

I tried this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/select-after-closing-current/

But what happens is that it opens the tab to the right, and THEN moves to the left.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 14, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I had to gently caress about so goddamn much to try and get tabs working properly after Quantum castrated Tab Mix Plus.

I currently have Tab Mix - Links and Tab Open/Close Control and a couple of about :config settings changed which I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's still nowhere as good as it was before, but tabs will mostly shift focus to the left when closing a tab.

Mostly.

Okay, often.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I had to gently caress about so goddamn much to try and get tabs working properly after Quantum castrated Tab Mix Plus.

I currently have Tab Mix - Links and Tab Open/Close Control and a couple of about :config settings changed which I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's still nowhere as good as it was before, but tabs will mostly shift focus to the left when closing a tab.

Mostly.

Okay, often.

TMP was simply too beautiful for this world

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

TMP was simply too beautiful for this world

Yes, but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PirateBob posted:

Is there really no way to make Firefox move to the tab to the left when closing a tab?

I tried this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/select-after-closing-current/

But what happens is that it opens the tab to the right, and THEN moves to the left.

if you use the default tab open style of "insert after current", when you close a tab you will go left / return to the previously opened tab

(browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why does Firefox randomly ask me for my master password?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

PirateBob posted:

Why does Firefox randomly ask me for my master password?

You probably have saved login information for that website and you enabled the master password option. Check your saved passwords list.

Tools > Options > Privacy & Security > Logins and Passwords > Saved Logins...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nalin posted:

You probably have saved login information for that website and you enabled the master password option. Check your saved passwords list.

Tools > Options > Privacy & Security > Logins and Passwords > Saved Logins...

No, this is irrelevant of any websites. Firefox can be idle for 5 minutes and then ask.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

PirateBob posted:

No, this is irrelevant of any websites. Firefox can be idle for 5 minutes and then ask.

Do you have any logins actually saved using Firefox?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have any logins actually saved using Firefox?

Yes, many.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Yes, many.

May I suggest an alternative? A third party password manager with two factor authentication. I use and like Bitwarden.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You can have saved logins for addons stored. Maybe some addon is triggering it? Try deleting some of the addon based logins.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

May I suggest an alternative? A third party password manager with two factor authentication. I use and like Bitwarden.

How do you know you can trust Bitwarden? :tinfoil:

How does the two factor auth work, a SMS each time you wanna access the list?

Edit: Also, if I switch to a third party like e.g. Bitwarden, is there any way to export/import like a hundred logins?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 15, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
With firefox 70 they're going to integrate their lockwise password manager, so if I was using FF saved passwords for things now I might sit tight and see what that's like. But real password managers are a good thing and everyone should use them.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hmmmm... I don't know if I'd want two-factor on my password manager, at least for personal use? The thing that makes cloud passwords a good idea is that you have complete redundancy in case of disaster data-loss, so you don't get locked out by your own really strong passwords. But 2FA brings back a single point of failure. (I do have 2fa on almost all the important accounts that are in the password manager though.)

If it was a company that was issuing yubikeys and had central management, that's a different story.

PirateBob posted:

How do you know you can trust Bitwarden? :tinfoil:

:tinfoil: as in they are evil and steal your accounts: they are US-based and would go to prison
:tinfoil: as in they gently caress up and let hackers steal everything: 1password has been around longer and has a very good security track record. keepass is open source and very secure though less user friendly.

PirateBob posted:

Edit: Also, if I switch to a third party like e.g. Bitwarden, is there any way to export/import like a hundred logins?

Very easy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't care how :tinfoil: it makes me, I will NEVER trust a password manager.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kheldarn posted:

I don't care how :tinfoil: it makes me, I will NEVER trust a password manager.

You do you, but if you aren't using strong, unique passwords for everything you are tinfoiling yourself into far more insecurity than whatever your paranoid imagination comes up with about password managers. If you can remember them all in your head you are doing passwords wrong in the modern world (or you have rain man memorization ability).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, you're focusing on the wrong problem and are almost certainly making yourself more vulnerable than you would be with a password manager (unless you're a complete lunatic who generates passwords by hand with a set of dice or something).

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

You do you, but if you aren't using strong, unique passwords for everything you are tinfoiling yourself into far more insecurity than whatever your paranoid imagination comes up with about password managers. If you can remember them all in your head you are doing passwords wrong in the modern world (or you have rain man memorization ability).

How do the password managers integrate with browsers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

:tinfoil: as in they are evil and steal your accounts: they are US-based and would go to prison
If you pay attention you'll note that in the US, companies which leak personal information that the state can benefit from don't get any form of punishment and barely get a slap on the wrist in the form of a class-action lawsuit that they can then get out of by making it extremely hard to claim (see: Equifax).
Also known as surveillance capitalism.