Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Boug, Boug, Boug. Youre all boug. None of you are free from sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's always been interesting to me that as sanitized and euphemistic as language has gotten to paper over class divides, the term is still "landlord."

I guess people like the pretension of nobility.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

We rent out our house to offset (but not fully cover) the cost of renting a place in another city where my partner works. What does that count as?

e: works, not lives

Its pretty lovely tbh.

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's always been interesting to me that as sanitized and euphemistic as language has gotten to paper over class divides, the term is still "landlord."

its important to remember that a good chunk of the revolutions supports were pissed off land barons that wanted to be recognized as nobility but weren't

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Owlbear Camus posted:

"property manager"

"leasing office"

they're deffo trying

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Theological tomes, religious histories, bibles, hymnals, etc., these vintage cloth hardbacks were published in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. In good condition or better, these books are perfect for interior decorating, TV/movie/stage/photo props, decorative accents, AND MORE!

Book Details
Height 7" to 10".
70 to 150 years old.
Good condition or better.
Around 10 books per foot.

19.99 a foot!

I've been aware of the concept for a long time, of ordering books by the foot for set dressing and decoration. I uh... I never considered they were actual old books. I thought they were just props or something, not... actual books used as props. History and knowledge, over a century old, packaged on display for aesthetic reasons. It's genuinely got me rattled.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Peanut President posted:

if they need it and you're chargin em for it you're a oval office

Stop stealing air from the Nestle corporation, jerk :argh:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

They're not selling irreplaceable medieval manuscripts by the yard, they're mass-produced books from after the invention/proliferation of the industrial printing press. Just lol if you think some random crap from the 1940's churned out by the hundreds of thousands is a priceless historical artefact.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Powershift posted:

Stop stealing air from the Nestle corporation, jerk :argh:

(hyperventilates to own the libs)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Crazycryodude posted:

some random crap from the 1940's churned out by the hundreds of thousands

You mean boomers?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

They're not selling irreplaceable medieval manuscripts by the yard, they're mass-produced books from after the invention/proliferation of the industrial printing press. Just lol if you think some random crap from the 1940's churned out by the hundreds of thousands is a priceless historical artefact.

Not that it's priceless, but... I donno man, I loved seeing old books in bookstores and in my grandparent's houses, there seemed to be some sort of authenticity in them. To find them being sold just for appearance seems wrong to me

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

They were born a meaningless commodity, they're still a meaningless commodity, they will die a meaningless commodity. Dehumanize yourself and face to capitalism :shrug:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Grondoth posted:

Theological tomes, religious histories, bibles, hymnals, etc., these vintage cloth hardbacks were published in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. In good condition or better, these books are perfect for interior decorating, TV/movie/stage/photo props, decorative accents, AND MORE!

Book Details
Height 7" to 10".
70 to 150 years old.
Good condition or better.
Around 10 books per foot.

19.99 a foot!

I've been aware of the concept for a long time, of ordering books by the foot for set dressing and decoration. I uh... I never considered they were actual old books. I thought they were just props or something, not... actual books used as props. History and knowledge, over a century old, packaged on display for aesthetic reasons. It's genuinely got me rattled.

sometimes they just cut the spines off the books and slather them together with glue, and just put that thin facade on high shelves

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Crazycryodude posted:

They were born a meaningless commodity, they're still a meaningless commodity, they will die a meaningless commodity. Dehumanize yourself and face to capitalism :shrug:

you're as much a commodity as any book motherfucker

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

500 good dogs posted:

is it possible to be a landlord and not deserve the guillotine? or is the very nature of "rent" unethical?

like what if I rent a place I own out at "half price" to someone who needs it

bike tory posted:

We rent out our house to offset (but not fully cover) the cost of renting a place in another city where my partner works. What does that count as?

e: works, not lives

Hi friends! I can see that you're having some difficulties working out where the ethical line is when it comes to the idea of renting out property to fellow members of society. Luckily there is a very simple way of breaking down this moral dilemma that I'm going to share with you.

Are you Carlo? No? Then gently caress you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you own a home that you rent out, your a parasite. if you own a commercial property or like, an apartment building, you are an extreme parasite

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

But if you sell the house and then “invest” the money that’s actually worse because then you’re still parasitically extracting money for nothing but the only difference is you aren’t providing shelter to someone.

You might wonder “bbbbbut how can I be rich ethically under capitalism?” you can’t

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Donate at least 50% of your rent income to working class people directly or guillotine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Morality check: renting out your apt at cost while you spend a year or whatever abroad.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
if you make money in any way except from the direct labor you perform, you a parasite

this means everyone with a retirement account

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shipon posted:

if you make money in any way except from the direct labor you perform, you a parasite

Hear that, disabled people? Stop leeching off us and get to work! Same for you sick old fucks, get a job or dig a grave, just get off your rear end and move!

The factory won't work itself!

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Shipon posted:

How do you feel about employer funded pensions, given that most large employers with pension funds invest those pension funds (because they really don't give a poo poo if the pension fund goes bankrupt and the retirees are hosed)

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

It's a bit like climate change, basically everything you do is going to gently caress the planet so you should just choose the path of least damage.

It's almost impossible to be ethical under capitalism so if you're going to be a landlord at least be a good landlord.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RobattoJesus posted:

It's almost impossible to be ethical under capitalism so if you're going to be a landlord at least be a good landlord.

But seriously, don't be a landlord.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
where is the line between having a roommate in the house you own and becoming a landlord

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

where is the line between having a roommate in the house you own and becoming a landlord

If you are turning a profit on their presence in your home, and you have the authority to take their home away, you are a landlord.

I've occasionally had friends stay with me who feel uncomfortable paying 'no rent'. I figure out the average increase to my utility bills and that's the most I accept from them.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

who mixed up the landlords and capitalism threads??

discuss: registered social landlords

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

who mixed up the landlords and capitalism threads??

discuss: registered social landlords

Landlords are a system of capitalism. An ideology defined by claiming ownership of resources to sell to others for personal profit is very much related to landlordism.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

grah posted:

How do you feel about employer funded pensions, given that most large employers with pension funds invest those pension funds (because they really don't give a poo poo if the pension fund goes bankrupt and the retirees are hosed)

Pensions are compensation. How they are funded is this employer's problem. Nothing wrong with getting a pension. If there weren't pensions, those employees would have been paid more while they were working.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Grondoth posted:

Not that it's priceless, but... I donno man, I loved seeing old books in bookstores and in my grandparent's houses, there seemed to be some sort of authenticity in them. To find them being sold just for appearance seems wrong to me

if their contents were worth anything they wouldn't be selling them for their appearance

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Please now discuss the idea that all rent is unethical with regard to the concept of owner-occupancy and imputed rent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well there are maintenance costs and certainly property taxes, it's theoretically possible to lose money landlording

lol forever at that ever happening tho

I have a condo that I rented to friends at a loss, and as of next month will be renting to a resettling refugee at a greater loss, and I doubt I’m the only person to do so. I’ve never made a profit on it, and likely never will. you don’t instantly become evil as soon as the ink dries on a second property’s title, I was pleased to discover.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Subjunctive posted:

I have a condo that I rented to friends at a loss, and as of next month will be renting to a resettling refugee at a greater loss, and I doubt I’m the only person to do so. I’ve never made a profit on it, and likely never will. you don’t instantly become evil as soon as the ink dries on a second property’s title, I was pleased to discover.

What kind of loss are we talking about here? Are you charging less than the cost of gas/electric/etc.?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Rarity posted:

What kind of loss are we talking about here? Are you charging less than the cost of gas/electric/etc.?

And does "have a condo" mean you're accumulating equity and/or wealth through property value appreciation?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hear that, disabled people? Stop leeching off us and get to work! Same for you sick old fucks, get a job or dig a grave, just get off your rear end and move!

The factory won't work itself!

this is what capitalists actually believe

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rarity posted:

I’m charging as gross less than leaves my pocket every month for property tax, condo fees, and insurance, and I’m paying about 50% tax on the rent that comes in. the identical unit across the hall rents for more than $1000/month more (both are 1bdrm), and that tenant feels like she’s getting a great deal. I’m not talking about “the rent doesn’t cover the mortgage so I have to pay for some of the equity myself boo boo cash flow”, this is a straight up loss of money every month versus what I would have if I didn’t do this. the resettlement agency sent someone to inspect the unit because they didn’t believe that it was actually single-occupancy and up to code for that price.

is there an amount of money I’m supposed to be losing when helping people live in a very expensive city?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

a second property’s title

Read the room

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

500 good dogs posted:

And does "have a condo" mean you're accumulating equity and/or wealth through property value appreciation?

it’s possible that the property will some day sell for more than I paid it (though it’s generally agreed that I timed the market quite poorly, and that the condo market in my city is going to decline), but I intend to use it for this purpose forever, so it doesn’t really matter to me either way. I won’t gain equity because I own it outright. I may write a resettlement agency into the title in the future if that helps them operate better, but so far they haven’t told me if that’s the case or not.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

it’s possible that the property will some day sell for more than I paid it (though it’s generally agreed that I timed the market quite poorly, and that the condo market in my city is going to decline), but I intend to use it for this purpose forever, so it doesn’t really matter to me either way. I won’t gain equity because I own it outright. I may write a resettlement agency into the title in the future if that helps them operate better, but so far they haven’t told me if that’s the case or not.

It sounds like what you're doing is not normal landlord stuff and more like charity. While it's nice and i applaud you, it doesn't really detract from what people were sayin about landlords.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Senior Dog posted:

It sounds like what you're doing is not normal landlord stuff and more like charity. While it's nice and i applaud you, it doesn't really detract from what people were sayin about landlords.

I was replying to HR’s “never happen”, because I know it happens and believe that others involved in resettlement do it too. I don’t think it’s the majority case of landlording by any means, but it’s not so novel that it’s going to be a news story. it’s use of an asset for charitable purposes, which is common, and real estate is a common enough asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The system is bad.
We should change the system.
Not gonna make me not rent my house is protest of that system. Sorry.
I do it as ethically as possible.