Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Whitlam posted:

Interesting, cheers. Do you think it'll :auspol:?

Not likely, there is a splinter faction already but they are very single issue, and they also have a poo poo domain name/name in general, and it's formatted like a Web 1.0 site. The main guy for the splinter group keeps attending the APS branch meetings, so that's a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Whitlam posted:

I know the AMA is quite conservative in a lot of its positions (e.g. iirc they opposed euthanasia in Victoria last year) and a lot of doctors denounce it pretty loudly, does the APS have similar issues of psychs saying they don't agree with the APS and refusing to recognise it?

The AMA is more conservative than the Royal College of Psychiatry, which would be a more analogous body to the APS than the AMA would. Generally the AMA doesn't release a lot of political positions on issues of psychiatric diagnosis or treatment. With respect to the political leanings of the RANZCP, there isn't much daylight between them and the APS. The RANZCP appears to be much less conservative than the AMA but that's what happens in medicine when you strip out all the surgeons.

God help you, though, if you try to get between a doctor and tax cuts...

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
#libspill is trending on twitter. Is this anything? I can only find a crikey article talking about porter becoming the heir apparent ahead of frydenberg but that doesn’t seem much.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Don't know about #libspill, but #libcorruption would be nice to see.

from CSPAM:

Inceltown posted:

https://twitter.com/AshleyLeahy/status/1171597242450333696

We're really starting to get into the recursive grift train here now. Sure it's always been a government thing, doubly so for conservative governments, to hand out contracts to mates to get them rich. What we're starting to see more of is this happening and then the money fed back into the party coffers.

As the government isn't legally allowed to give an individual party money like this it's a great little scam they've worked out to boost their election war chest as well as enriching their mates. :thermidor:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How long until kickbacks are just an open and accepted part of politics, it's not like there's any pushback to corruption.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

:colbert:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

How long until kickbacks are just an open and accepted part of politics, it's not like there's any pushback to corruption.

They're already open and accepted and there's literally nothing anyone can do about it. Ministers can give money to whoever they want, whenever they want, for whatever they want. Here's an instructive case. https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/government-ignored-advice-not-to-give-2-million-grant-to-bob-day-college-20170511-gw2xk5.html The only thing remarkable in this instance is that the ANAO uncovered written advice against this particular kickback - that's sloppy work on the APS's part, but understandable considering how lax the government has gotten in covering up its corruption.

It's also funny to think that Bob Day is so cheap he sold his critical Senate vote for less than $2 million.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Young Australians would be called up for duty at emergency services units across the country, under a plan aired by independent Senator Jacqui Lambie, to boost volunteering rates and respond to climate change.

Lmao watch Lambie force Newstart recipients to fight fires for the Dole.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

"It seems that today's generation don't really want to volunteer themselves and commit to certain things. They want to show up to a rally once a year and apparently that's giving back," Senator Lambie said.

go gently caress yourself you dumb oval office

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Clean oil spills for the dole

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Anidav posted:

Young Australians would be called up for duty at emergency services units across the country, under a plan aired by independent Senator Jacqui Lambie, to boost volunteering rates and respond to climate change.

Lmao watch Lambie force Newstart recipients to fight fires for the Dole.

Isn't this counter-productive?

As in just throwing untrained, unmotivated bodies at an emergency like a fire or flood or whatever just makes it worse, and doesn't help anybody who needs helping, and gets in teh way of the trained talented people doing important things.

This is just another way to demonize "bludgers", and find excuses to give them less money than the bare pittance they already receive.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

In the US they use prisoners to fight wildfires. They don't get paid and after leaving prison their record almost always means they can't get actual paid jobs as firefighters.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How about force politicians to act as human sea walls on non sitting days. They’re loving fat enough that you don’t need too many in each area

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Yeah it's wild that the thirteenth amendment has that asterisk

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Somebody needs to tell Lambie bushfires aren't malevolent gods, you can't appease them by tossing people in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Send in the conscript firefighters with supersoakers

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The plan immediately falls apart because the government would have to actually spend money training them for that sort of work, and I'm not sure they have a company set up to funnel money through and back to themselves via. This feels like one of those sad brainfarts you see in newspaper letters to the editor where some old fat wanker that goes to the Worker's Club every day fantasizes about young people being taught "discipline" by making them waste a few years of their life conscripted to the armed forces or the like.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The plan immediately falls apart because the government would have to actually spend money training them for that sort of work...

Spot the assumption in this sentence.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Whitlam posted:

Spot the assumption in this sentence.

They didn't think of it, so they'll poopoo it till they've managed to get it running.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

froglet posted:

Somebody needs to tell Lambie bushfires aren't malevolent gods, you can't appease them by tossing people in.

Watch her trade the union busting bill to get it done.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think politics would be better served without Labor at this point, the media wouldn’t have anything to talk about without them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Labor should just shut up shop, but they won't because it's worth a lot of money to everyone involved that it keeps running.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Buncha foxes in Sydney because there are one billion rats

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/fox-numbers-growing-thanks-to-sydney-rat-plague-20190914-p52r9f.html

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Labor is fine, they just need to snap out of zombie mode.

Which should happen at some point but it's especially painful due to us nerds paying attention to it 24/7.

Relax, dudes all this is just political elevator music.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Edit: nah

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

Which should happen at some point but it's especially painful due to us nerds paying attention to it 24/7.

Except the longer that music plays the more dissatisfied and disappointed we all become.

I'd like to see a world labour does just cease to exist just to see how what little work the press does do would behave. Hell would the libs split as part of their ridiculous culture war in such an environment?

The world isn't ever getting nicer so it would at least be slightly less depressing to watch.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Anidav posted:

I mean they pretty much just shown they will vote anything threw, why stop when they lost doing the exact opposite

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Labor basically have stopped though

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I've been through a few* natural disasters and the common theme is that literally everyone in the community will come out to fix poo poo up.

Usually to the point where there are people looking for things to do because there are so many people already doing things to help out their neighbours/family/random people they've never met before.

Every time the news has put out notices that are basically "if you don't have something specific you are doing, get the gently caress out of the way and let professionals do the job".

*sample size of three, but still.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
labor is moribund and going nowhere in any state

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Zenithe posted:

I've been through a few* natural disasters and the common theme is that literally everyone in the community will come out to fix poo poo up.

Usually to the point where there are people looking for things to do because there are so many people already doing things to help out their neighbours/family/random people they've never met before.

Every time the news has put out notices that are basically "if you don't have something specific you are doing, get the gently caress out of the way and let professionals do the job".

*sample size of three, but still.

I remember reading after the Haiti earthquake well-intentioned idiots from wealthy nations showed up to "help" only to realise maybe they should have planned their food/water/accommodation before leaving.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

the lesson theyve learned from losing after 6 years of small target shorten and rubber stamping everything the liberals wanted followed by a final two weeks of pretending they wouldnt anymore is that the last two weeks were a mistake. theyve learned nothing and neither have you.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Labor is great, they just need to be a good party is all, easy peasy and being done!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BBJoey posted:

go gently caress yourself you dumb oval office

I also believe that this is actually completely false

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Recoome posted:

I also believe that this is actually completely false

it's impossible for feckless millennials to live up to the public contributions of jacqui lambie, notably leeching off the public purse in parliament and appearing on reality TV shows

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
My partner's been asking and I'm not sure of the answer myself.

With the cashless welfare card, how are you meant to pay things like rent?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Cassa posted:

You don't, and IIRC there's examples where the partitioning of welfare means that people may have money available but they can't use it and fall behind on bills etc.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cassa posted:

The plan is to trial it for people in public housing, so they just pay it in first.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jesus Christ I get that sinking feeling that this fucker will last as long as Howard.