Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

RobattoJesus posted:

lmao if you think someone with a framed picture of Ayn Rand on their desk wants any institutions left standing at all.

Ayn Rand took welfare payments. Their position has always been 'institutions for us, gently caress you for you'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

'institutions for me, gently caress you for you'

Fixed. They're individualists and would happily stab each other in the backs for a dollar.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

Trying to sway the disaffected left in Kate Hoey land

i've always been vaguely curious how the gently caress hoey got in charge of Vauxhall

it's insanely labour and voted remain by like 77%, which wikipedia informs me is the highest remain proportion in the UK outside of gibraltar

it turns out it's due to crazy amounts of racism, who knew

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Eh, either you ignore a ton of votes to get consistent majorities that then implement lovely policy. (who then poo poo the bed when they have to do big things like brexit) Or you count all votes, have a ton of problems forming a coalition government, which then collapses over minor issues and you're back to square one.

I genuinely don't know which is worse but it's kinda lol that this is the best we have.

first past the :justpost: direct election of one mp per district isnt the only way to run things, you know

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mixed member proportional
ranked choice (irv, condorcet, etc)
borda count
parallel vote
indirect election

there are so so many options

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Squizzle posted:

borda count
parallel vote
indirect election

all of those could go wrong thoug

so better to stick with our tried and tested 1000 year old parliament thank you very much

*has hosed up every single crisis in UK history, the queens family and a bunch of MPs are pedophles and above the rule of law*

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dance Officer posted:

Eh, either you ignore a ton of votes to get consistent majorities that then implement lovely policy. (who then poo poo the bed when they have to do big things like brexit) Or you count all votes, have a ton of problems forming a coalition government, which then collapses over minor issues and you're back to square one.

I genuinely don't know which is worse but it's kinda lol that this is the best we have.
Alternatively, people between say 25 and 50 draw lots and hold power for a few years. If they don't show up for work without a good reason, they get fired, like normal people. They can work from their local council office, none of this palace of westminster poo poo. Turn that into a museum or just level it, whatever.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i've always been vaguely curious how the gently caress hoey got in charge of Vauxhall

it's insanely labour and voted remain by like 77%, which wikipedia informs me is the highest remain proportion in the UK outside of gibraltar

it turns out it's due to crazy amounts of racism, who knew
Guess who was the head of the NEC at the time of this happening

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i always thought baddiel was the funnier one

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This got me to thinking about other songs from the Troubles. I don't think the United States is heading for an insurrection like that, but the flood of weapons here and the militarized police forces give me that vibe. As if things have been simmering for a long time and soon everything will boil over. It's a pretty horrifying thought.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this took entirely too long for labour to propose

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1173150989580406784?s=20

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
well that's one way to combat drug shortages after brexit

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

all of those could go wrong thoug

so better to stick with our tried and tested 1000 year old parliament thank you very much

*has hosed up every single crisis in UK history, the queens family and a bunch of MPs are pedophles and above the rule of law*

Don't worry, loving up and being above the law is common in parliamentary democracies around the world.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Irrespective of legal aspects I imagine the price of street drugs would probably increase with no deal?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Irrespective of legal aspects I imagine the price of street drugs would probably increase with no deal?
No, to the contrary.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I remember in like 2009 when Labour had a rad drugs minister who said LSD should be legal because it's safer than alcohol and they immediately fired him because Blairites sucked.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol that "taking expert advice" will be presented as contraversial

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

RobattoJesus posted:

I remember in like 2009 when Labour had a rad drugs minister who said LSD should be legal because it's safer than alcohol and they immediately fired him because Blairites sucked.

Sure, I have had some good times on LSD, and sure its safer than alcohol.
But then again I don't want scared as poo poo people trying to break into my house trying to escape the invisible spider people every friday night.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Sure, I have had some good times on LSD, and sure its safer than alcohol.
But then again I don't want scared as poo poo people trying to break into my house trying to escape the invisible spider people every friday night.

drunk folks make worse decisions

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Squizzle posted:

borda count
parallel vote
indirect election
incubators for babies

There, you missed one

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The people will vote for painkillers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Squizzle posted:

drunk folks make worse decisions

True, but rather have a slower angry man against me than a normal angry man but who thinks that the worms coming out of my face are telling him bad things and that he needs to remove them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

RobattoJesus posted:

Dr David Nutt, who completely owns and, through his own research (he was at best drug agnostic when I started, IIRC) quickly came round to strongly advocating for/experimenting with psychedelics and MDMA for depression, and is currently developing an alcohol substitute on the side.

Intellectual consistency was a big no-no under New Labour, of course, especially when it contradicted the party line

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

whoa ... how are you going to keep the underclass in check then? I dunno about all of this

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

all that petty crime, child neglect and unnecessary hospital, police and court workload reduced?

nah, fecking scrougers deserve it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

just run on legalising weed

its stoners vs racists in GE 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
assuming boris loses the next election badly and brexit is revoked without a referendum, what stops the tories of 2024 or 2029 from running on a brexit manifesto, winning a majority government with a plurality under FPTP and exiting without a deal?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

assuming boris loses the next election badly and brexit is revoked without a referendum, what stops the tories of 2024 or 2029 from running on a brexit manifesto, winning a majority government with a plurality under FPTP and exiting without a deal?

A lot more dead boomers?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

Nothing. Every country is free to leave the EU whenever it wants to. They'd have to re-invoke article 50 though, so that means another 2 years waiting time and parliament drama. And every single day the demographics are shifting against Brexit as the population that was affected by leaded gasoline is dying away and the younger generations have normal cognitive functioning.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

In the event of No Deal, a large sector of the British economic will become based on smuggling, and organized crime. This will lead to lots of drugs and weapons coming in, so drug prices might even fall eventually

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

twoday posted:

In the event of No Deal, a large sector of the British economic will become based on smuggling, and organized crime. This will lead to lots of drugs and weapons coming in, so drug prices might even fall eventually

The plan to effectively wave lorries through customs to avoid days of queues might help supplies get into the country in the short term...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes when it comes to groups planning to make tons of money from no deal brexit, people often overlook organised crime. They are really looking forward to literally everything just being waved through.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Heavy_D posted:

The plan to effectively wave lorries through customs to avoid days of queues might help supplies get into the country in the short term...

The French have said that they're not doing this on their end so lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

marktheando posted:

Yes when it comes to groups planning to make tons of money from no deal brexit, people often overlook organised crime. They are really looking forward to literally everything just being waved through.

Seems like that might crash their margins though. Free shipping from Kabul for 1t and up.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can't wait for organized crime to set up their own custom inspections because the lack of governmental control lets bad drugs flood in that kill off the clientele.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Randler posted:

Can't wait for organized crime to set up their own custom inspections because the lack of governmental control lets bad drugs flood in that kill off the clientele.

In brexit britain, i think there will be a big market for drugs that kill you

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Ague Proof posted:

Nothing. Welcome to hellworld.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

You should lose the right to vote at age 60 imo. It's like if you're having a party and you ask people what music you want to play, nobody wants to listen to the opinion of the person who has their coat on and is standing by the front door getting ready to leave.

I only know 1 woman who voted for Brexit and she's dead now.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

RobattoJesus posted:

thank you for your service :patriot:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RobattoJesus posted:

You should lose the right to vote at age 60 imo. It's like if you're having a party and you ask people what music you want to play, nobody wants to listen to the opinion of the person who has their coat on and is standing by the front door getting ready to leave.

They hold all the wealth and political power, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
lmao, old people will never give up the right to vote. loving over the poor, young and disenfranchised is the only thing that brings joy to the withered husks where their hearts used to be.