Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Scored a whole heap of Type II tapes at the flea markets today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

CaptainCrunch posted:

I was going to ask what the cartoon on the sticker was up to...

...Is that the goddamned demon core?? :stonklol:

It is! It's a goonmade sticker by QueenCombat! It's available on redbubble.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm assuming they work in a nuclear power plant.

Negative. I make alcohol for a living. 200 proof.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can you ship me a bottle? Everclear has been losing its kick for me lately.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Why don't you! Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Sorry, late reply, I'm in good old West Yorkshire, not exactly Sicily but there's a bit of an Italian feel in my kitchen this week, I've been trying to perfect my recipe and I think I've got there. I'll set up a thread in the appropriate forum tomorrow evening.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's fuel ethanol, so I doubt you'd want it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I heart bacon posted:

Hey buddy! I'm 1/4th Jeep Cherokee on my mother's side! :mad:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I brought Everclear to a house party last weekend and convinced 5 people to do shots with me.

It went about as expected.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey buddy! I'm 1/4th Jeep Cherokee on my mother'sdriver's side! :mad:

FTFY

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Damnit....

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I heart bacon posted:

It is! It's a goonmade sticker by QueenCombat! It's available on redbubble.

Negative. I make alcohol for a living. 200 proof.

Fantastic! Thank you. Happy to support goon creatives.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Fantastic! Thank you. Happy to support goon creatives.

It was too cool to not get one a few. I'm sure most everyone I work with doesn't know what it is, but they all think I'm a nerd anyways.

I have a pawprint / German Shepherd sticker like this one on the side. I was originally part of a fund raiser for a German Shepherd rescue group.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey buddy! I'm 1/4th Jeep Cherokee on my mother's side! :mad:

:dudsmile: So sorry to hear about your mopar DNA

Josh Lyman posted:

I brought Everclear to a house party last weekend and convinced 5 people to do shots with me.

It went about as expected.

First time I had everclear, years ago, I took a huge pull of it out of a flask. That was fun.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Many industrial sites don't permit stickers on hard hats because they can conceal damage. Mostly the real hardass ones. I would think (and kinda hope, to be honest) nuclear plants fall under that umbrella.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I heart bacon posted:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 100%/200 proof ethanol almost instantly absorb water from the air when opened in the improper conditions and become like 195 proof or thereabouts?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ReidRansom posted:

Many industrial sites don't permit stickers on hard hats because they can conceal damage. Mostly the real hardass ones. I would think (and kinda hope, to be honest) nuclear plants fall under that umbrella.

Hard hat ain’t gonna save you from 3.6 roentgens

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hard hat ain’t gonna save you from 3.6 roentgens

Depends on how high it drops from. :pseudo:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Picked up a used 2018 Civic Si from Carvana on Saturday. Good poo poo

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

sterster posted:

Was it just in the showroom like that photo or did you get to retrieve it from the huge car vending machine tower? We have one of those right by the highway but I've never seen it in action.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

davebo posted:

Was it just in the showroom like that photo or did you get to retrieve it from the huge car vending machine tower? We have one of those right by the highway but I've never seen it in action.

Hell, I'd pay a premium to not have to deal with a salesman AND watch my new (to-me) car be dispensed to me like a Pepsi.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I got it from the 'vending machine tower'. It was a really good experience. Was cool to see the tower do it's thing. It was kind of funny because they pump in fake audio of the machine sounds into the lobby. Literally was there for tops 30 min before I drove away with it. Full disclosure I work for Carvana and had a decent employee discount although the price was comparative to local dealers with a much larger selection.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

sterster posted:

Good choice. I love my ‘19. Did a full turbo-back exhaust, intake and a KTuner and I am still getting 39mpg. One of the best parts of the KTuner is the rev-hang delete, if that starts to bother you at any point.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 100%/200 proof ethanol almost instantly absorb water from the air when opened in the improper conditions and become like 195 proof or thereabouts?

Not really instantly, but I'm sure if I left a sample bottle open it would likely pull some moisture from the air. It's pretty humid this time of year, so I may have to try it at work tonight. I'll leave a bottle open in the lab for an hour or so and run it on the Karl Fisher to find out if that's true. I'm really curious now to find out how much moisture it would take out of the air. We grab samples after the dehydration phase of distillation and depending on which spec we are making it could be as low as 0.15% moisture or up to 1.20%.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I heart bacon posted:

Not really instantly, but I'm sure if I left a sample bottle open it would likely pull some moisture from the air. It's pretty humid this time of year, so I may have to try it at work tonight. I'll leave a bottle open in the lab for an hour or so and run it on the Karl Fisher to find out if that's true. I'm really curious now to find out how much moisture it would take out of the air. We grab samples after the dehydration phase of distillation and depending on which spec we are making it could be as low as 0.15% moisture or up to 1.20%.

Crap, I’m super curious to find out now! These are the real questions I want science to answer

For content, bought a buncha Cuban food, some Haitian food, and Puerto Rican food down in Miami. At Chefs on the Run I also picked up a cool local painting of neon colored palm trees against a night sky, and ridiculously good Key Lime Pie down at Sweet Delights bakery nearby

Also bought some fridge magnets at the Everglades, Hemingway House, southernmost point, and a buncha Mold-o-Matic plastic animals down at the Miami Zoo.

Really cool place! Can’t wait to go back down!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Crap, I’m super curious to find out now! These are the real questions I want science to answer

So, I wanted to find out how leaving a sample container open would affect the moisture over time. I ran the moisture right after taking the sample, then every 30 minutes for the first two hours and a few more times during the night. I ran it one more time at 0630 this morning but forgot to get the number from the Karl Fisher before I left this morning.

Here's the sample bottle as it was left open.

Original testing (sample taken @ 2015) was 0.2838% and a proof of 199.7 (I only ran proof at sample grab) Here are the times and moistures:
2045: 0.2924%
2115: 0.2955%
2145: 0.3033%
2245: 0.3184%
2345: 0.3312%
0315: 0.3763%

It definitely does increase. I may try this test again, but using something more open on the top like a beaker. I hope I'm not derailing too hard by doing this here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pour the alcohol onto the corn and light in on fire as the next experiment. Leave a small pile of corn on the side unburned as the control, obviously.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

I heart bacon posted:

So, I wanted to find out how leaving a sample container open would affect the moisture over time. I ran the moisture right after taking the sample, then every 30 minutes for the first two hours and a few more times during the night. I ran it one more time at 0630 this morning but forgot to get the number from the Karl Fisher before I left this morning.

Here's the sample bottle as it was left open.

Original testing (sample taken @ 2015) was 0.2838% and a proof of 199.7 (I only ran proof at sample grab) Here are the times and moistures:
2045: 0.2924%
2115: 0.2955%
2145: 0.3033%
2245: 0.3184%
2345: 0.3312%
0315: 0.3763%

It definitely does increase. I may try this test again, but using something more open on the top like a beaker. I hope I'm not derailing too hard by doing this here.

Only 0.01 non-ethanol or water? Those are good odds. I'll take a gallon, I've got punch to make.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Good choice. I love my ‘19. Did a full turbo-back exhaust, intake and a KTuner and I am still getting 39mpg. One of the best parts of the KTuner is the rev-hang delete, if that starts to bother you at any point.

Do you know if the 1.5l turbo model civics have the rev-hang? I drove a '17 6spd (I think) EX or EX-L 1.5l and did not like something about the gearchange. Either I'm not used to turbo lag or something else. There was a weirdo delay that really bothered me. We ended up buying a Accord CVT instead.

I wish the dealer would have had a Si sedan on the lot because I would have liked to drive one of those.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

They'd get dinged for putting a sticker on a hard hat toot sweet. Hahaha who am I kidding, nuclear power plants probably don't give a poo poo about OSHA.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't want to shop shame, but in 2019 what argument do people make for buying an ICE car other than "I want it and dont care about the consequences"??

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Lifecycle pollution is comparable, as is local particulate pollution (the kind that kills people). If you really cared about reducing your carbon footprint you wouldn’t own a car at all.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't want to shop shame, but in 2019 what argument do people make for buying an ICE car other than "I want it and dont care about the consequences"??

Not everyone lives somewhere they can always charge a car where they go? Electric cars are significantly more expensive? There's far fewer choices for electric cars? They routinely drive more than an electric car can handle without charging? Electric cars are fine for a lot but don't be absurd and think everyone everywhere would be served by them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

Lifecycle pollution is comparable, as is local particulate pollution (the kind that kills people). If you really cared about reducing your carbon footprint you wouldn’t own a car at all.

Please don't Americashame.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Most green friendly personal transportation is buying an older ICE with low mileage. Lot of reasons why electric vehicles are only a half solution and buying one new is heavy carbon negative.

and mostly this

El_Elegante posted:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well personally I justified mine in 2018 with "I moved closer to work so putting 5k miles a year on an ICE car is a lot better than living farther away to have a big yard then commuting in a Prius 20k a year like most people around here." So that's one. Another is what Humerus said that there aren't many EV cars to choose from that suit my specific needs as well. Thinking ahead, the 10 year warranty on the car I gave my wife is up in three years and I'm hoping the price on the Kia Niro EV comes down a bit by then, because that would work well for us.

For recent purchases, I got a 3-pack of cheap Chinese-made headbands because I sweat buckets anytime I do yard work and I lost my old one.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Cool, what specific mods do you have? I'm already looking to add CAI and Tune.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If it makes you feel any better I moved from a 18mpg to a 30+mpg. Also I can't afford a 40k car. Not that I don't want an EV. Also, there is something special about rowing your own gears that I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I bought an older high mileage truck and paid cash for it. I wouldn't be able to do that with anything new. The commute to work is only a couple miles and it's 4wd, so my odds of getting to work in the winter when the roads haven't been plowed yet are much better. If anything changes for me for work, I can easily just pack up and move if I need to or want to. I'm single, live in an apartment, and everything I own could easily fit in a trailer to be towed by a vehicle I own and don't make payments on.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bike part. Wait no that's not right. Bus part? No but closer. Flip dot display? Yes that is what it is. Now I just need to buy all the other parts I need to make it a clock.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Duck and Cover posted:

Bike part. Wait no that's not right. Bus part? No but closer. Flip dot display? Yes that is what it is. Now I just need to buy all the other parts I need to make it a clock.

Can you please make it say 420 69?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

That's kind of rad. Out of curiosity, how loud are these things? I could see the sound getting kind of annoying if it's happening every 60 seconds.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

rockcity posted:

That's kind of rad. Out of curiosity, how loud are these things? I could see the sound getting kind of annoying if it's happening every 60 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XW8t2iu9w

If it's too loud for when I sleep I'll just program it to not operate during that time. If it's too loud in general I'll just put it in the room with my flip clocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

dreesemonkey posted:

Do you know if the 1.5l turbo model civics have the rev-hang? I drove a '17 6spd (I think) EX or EX-L 1.5l and did not like something about the gearchange. Either I'm not used to turbo lag or something else. There was a weirdo delay that really bothered me. We ended up buying a Accord CVT instead.

I wish the dealer would have had a Si sedan on the lot because I would have liked to drive one of those.

Yeah all the newer manual Hondas have it . It’s a radio button on the KTuner options screen to turn it off, so of course I did. Also changed my throttle padding and boost response.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Range
Similar lifetime pollution numbers
Ability to modify
Price
No manual electric cars
No charging stations around me

sterster posted:

Cool, what specific mods do you have? I'm already looking to add CAI and Tune.

I did the AEM intake, Magnaflow catback, PLM 3 inch downpipe, and KTuner touch. The tune was the biggest drivability improvement but the other stuff definitely sound awesome.

Imperador do Brasil has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Sep 17, 2019