Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

we were allied with iran when they were run by a failson

starting to think theres a pattern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
North Atlantic treaty organization of failsons

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Failsons of Liberty

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grapplejack posted:

Man imagine if we were allied with Iran, a country that is competent, and not Saudi Arabia, a country that is stocked to the brim with failsons

saudi arabia is a black mirror episode about failsons

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vernii posted:

There's also three machine guns, a 120mm gun, smoke grenade launchers, and all sorts of fancy optics/rangefinders and radios.

Well none of that seemed to help Saudi Arabia very much

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

yellowcar posted:

Failsons of Liberty

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

A Confederation of Failsons

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
post every time you lol at how owned saudi arabia is

lol

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

CODChimera posted:

Well none of that seemed to help Saudi Arabia very much

I'm sure the Houthis would put those parts to much better use than the Saudis.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

lol

lmao

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

lol

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Saudi Arabia Real Hahahaha Just Get Some Drones Like Get An RC Copter Haha

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, just some old-school anti-aircraft guns would fix most of their problems, but no, every air defence hardpoint has to be fitted with, like, one and a half gigantic missiles that cost a billion dollars per shot and can shoot down a stealth bomber from halfway around the world, but won't do squat against a wave of commercial drones from Ali Express.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, just some old-school anti-aircraft guns would fix most of their problems, but no, every air defence hardpoint has to be fitted with, like, one and a half gigantic missiles that cost a billion dollars per shot and can shoot down a stealth bomber from halfway around the world, but won't do squat against a wave of commercial drones from Ali Express.

I guess it's probably worth it to have some guns around particular high value targets, but generally it's probably much less expensive to just take the hits from the light bombs drones can carry than try to prevent them. And of course the new hardpoints established to take into account the tiny range of the guns would be visible to civilians and make them ask how they can expect to get aerially bombed by a bunch of poor peasants.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are drone susceptible to radio jamming? i can imagine a sad future where im trying to post about my low altitude radar induced cancer but the cops saw some pigeons blip on the screen and need to blast the neighborhood with interference so the hypothetical drone bombs explode harmlessly (to police) on a random house or tree

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Real hurthling! posted:

are drone susceptible to radio jamming? i can imagine a sad future where im trying to post about my low altitude radar induced cancer but the cops saw some pigeons blip on the screen and need to blast the neighborhood with interference so the hypothetical drone bombs explode harmlessly (to police) on a random house or tree

You can destroy drones with jammers, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

uncop posted:

I guess it's probably worth it to have some guns around particular high value targets, but generally it's probably much less expensive to just take the hits from the light bombs drones can carry than try to prevent them. And of course the new hardpoints established to take into account the tiny range of the guns would be visible to civilians and make them ask how they can expect to get aerially bombed by a bunch of poor peasants.

You'd expect some of 'em around the source of half your country's money, though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

You'd expect some of 'em around the source of half your country's money, though.

It's not entirely clear to me that you wouldn't do more damage to your refineries with missed flak projectiles than the drones could do on their own.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

by shutting down saudi oil production the houthis are doing more to fight global warming than any other group on earth

Fast Luck posted:

Lmao brown loving moses is currently trying to suppress a peer reviewed paper set to be published in an academic journal out of princeton university because it disagrees with the circles he draws with ms paint. Hes already started with a smear campaign and threats despite not having even seen the final paper, trying to create the most unwelcoming atmosphere possible for any dissent of the regime change narrative and close off any room for academic debate

love his twitter cover image

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

lol

50% of their capacity. lol

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

by shutting down saudi oil production the houthis are doing more to fight global warming than any other group on earth

love his twitter cover image

drat, that’s a cold rear end honky

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Real hurthling! posted:

iran stole one of ours by jamming our signals and then took control of it and landed it at an airbase

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93U.S._RQ-170_incident

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please do not confuse robots.

Robots are trying their best.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How confused must that drone be? Imagine how confused all its drone friends are. Suddenly the drone is in Iran and has no idea why.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

You can destroy drones with jammers, yes.

Unless they're using inertial navigation

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hacking combat drones should be as egregious a violation of the Geneva Conventions as mind controlling a human.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
future weapons look silly

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Addamere posted:

Hacking combat drones should be as egregious a violation of the Geneva Conventions as mind controlling a human.

Peter Watts wrote a short story about an autonomous combat drone that notices that everytime it gets direct orders all its good boy indicators flash red.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

Peter Watts wrote a short story about an autonomous combat drone that notices that everytime it gets direct orders all its good boy indicators flash red.

What's it called?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Addamere posted:

What's it called?

Found it: https://rifters.com/real/shorts/PeterWatts_Malak.pdf

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thanks!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Lightning Knight posted:

lol

:laffo:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

lol

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

2015 article, so not this weekend (sadly)

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

lol

Just lmao'd again because I remembered the same government dumb enough to lose half its oil producing capacity in one fell swoop is also expected to pull off Saudi Vision 2030 and the futuristic city of Neom

Their artificial moon is gonna come crashing down because a houthi chucked a spitball at it or something

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

in the land of the fail-sons, somehow MBS remains on top

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Peter Watts is the greatest hard sci fi writer of our generation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

50% of their capacity. lol

Well look at the bright side at least the US can profit from this "broken" window theory to replace everything that's getting wrecked by the Chad Houthi

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

2015 article, so not this weekend (sadly)

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Fast Luck posted:

Lmao brown loving moses

What's his deal? Last I heard he was good and cool but apparently that was only during the Ukraine vs Russia thing? His posts here always seemed decent but he's taking one side or something?