Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bleck posted:

amidala mentions several times that she was elected to that position in PM

or at least that's what the script says, I could be wrong about the actual movie

I don’t know if it’s made explicit until AotC, when she humblebrags about the Naboo attempting to get rid of a term limit because she was so popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Palpatine refers to her as being "recently elected" in Episode 1, but I think at that point all the EU material assumed that her appointment was for life because they had her predecessor being assassinated rather than just running out his term.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Naboo is so lovely it produced wizard satan and ruined the galaxy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder why Lucas felt compelled to create Naboo rather than set those events on Alderaan? I wonder if there’s a version of the script where Episode 1 is set on Alderaan

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont think sheeve would approve of Tarkin blowing up his home planet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

I wonder why Lucas felt compelled to create Naboo rather than set those events on Alderaan? I wonder if there’s a version of the script where Episode 1 is set on Alderaan

Naboo renamed itself to Alderaan to stop Palpatine from coming back to visit since they didn't want to be associated with him anymore

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

I dont think sheeve would approve of Tarkin blowing up his home planet.

The plot point of Palpatine being from Naboo never ends up really mattering at all, does it?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I doubt Palpatine gives much of a poo poo about his home planet, sentimentality doesn't seem to be his thing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

I doubt Palpatine gives much of a poo poo about his home planet, sentimentality doesn't seem to be his thing

Well yeah, he orchestrated an invasion of it that supposedly had a massive human toll.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

General Dog posted:

In early drafts Naboo was actually called Utapau, so I think it was always supposed to be a different world.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

She's just a monarch, there's nothing in the films to suggest Naboo is a democracy.

The conversation between Padme and Anakin once they arrive on Naboo in AOTC is about how Padme felt she was too young to be elected lol, and how relieved she was when her two terms were up. Anakin also said they tried to amend the constitution to keep Padme in office.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Also that dude literally says to Gunray that they are a democracy.

What's more weird is that all 50 queen decoys seem to wield the queen's authority while in disguise, so who's really making the decisions? But then for all we know being the queen was more like a figurehead rather than a position of executive power. Though the Trade Federation wanted her to sign some sort of "this is fine" paper.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

General Dog posted:

there was already a lot of tattooine in ep 1, better to not further encourage any 'oh only like 4 planets in the whole galaxy matter' feelings

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The thing about Naboo's democratic monarchy is that we don't know who's eligible for election or who can actually vote. Like, Padme obviously isn't a random farmer's daughter, and probably was voted into office by a house of lords, not by literally every single Naboo dipshit.

You know, like in the USA.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Grendels Dad posted:

The thing about Naboo's democratic monarchy is that we don't know who's eligible for election or who can actually vote. Like, Padme obviously isn't a random farmer's daughter, and probably was voted into office by a house of lords, not by literally every single Naboo dipshit.

You know, like in the USA.

I was about to explain why you were mistaken but then I read the last sentence and now I'm sad.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah she tells Anakin her first crush was some guy she met in model UN or TFA or some other sort of rich liberal politics breeding ground. Anakin being no one from nowhere can't even process the information

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

General Dog posted:

The plot point of Palpatine being from Naboo never ends up really mattering at all, does it?

The fact that Palpatine was from Naboo was what allowed him to convince Amidala to pursue the motion of no confidence against Valorum. Once the Separatist Crisis occured, Palpatine realized Amidala was no longer as sympathetic to him as she once was (she opposed the Military Creation Act), so he engineered the assassination plot, which ended up with Jar Jar replacing Amidala in the Senate. Palpatine was able to convince Jar Jar to introduce the emergency powers resolution, partially because Jar Jar saw Palpatine as a trustworthy figure and one who helped during the Battle of Naboo. If Palpatine wasn't from Naboo, he wouldn't have those relationships and would have had a far harder time engineering the blockade, the invasion, and the subsequent motions that enabled his rise to Emperor.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Mooey Cow posted:

What's more weird is that all 50 queen decoys seem to wield the queen's authority while in disguise, so who's really making the decisions?

Keira Knightly: "Hey, boss, go scrub this crusty old droid lol"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Mooey Cow posted:

Also that dude literally says to Gunray that they are a democracy.

What's more weird is that all 50 queen decoys seem to wield the queen's authority while in disguise, so who's really making the decisions? But then for all we know being the queen was more like a figurehead rather than a position of executive power. Though the Trade Federation wanted her to sign some sort of "this is fine" paper.

Well, here in Canada, we have someone designated to sign laws in place of the Queen so that we don't have to send them to England for her to do it.

Also, Amerca considered an elected king for life, but settled on one with term limits and a different title. A President is just a different word for a unitary executive who signs legislation into law.

(Although the American education system likes to pretend otherwise, there isn't much about the structure of American governance that isnt just how they did things in England but tweaked a little).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 15, 2019

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean yeah, but Brother Entropy is commenting on the online furor. Who gives a poo poo about the craft of filmmaking when we can debate who Rey's parents are and if she's the #Girlboss we need right now?

On the one hand, reactionary geeks whining about Rey being superheroic are terrible, since Luke and lots of other characters in Star Wars do the same thing, and also they're gross douchebags and I want them all to die. On the other hand, she is absolutely a lame character with lame motivation.

On the balance, I've decided that I got to have every protagonist in every movie for most of my life, and now my wife gets to have a Girl Jedi, and I'm not going to whine that she sucks because I like sex.

Luke doesn't get to display badassery until the first act of the third movie and it's still clumsy at best.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
TFA was marketed to me having the cool black kid from Attack the Block as a storm trooper that becomes a lightsaber wielding Jedi. Imagine the disappointment

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

gohmak posted:

Luke doesn't get to display badassery until the first act of the third movie and it's still clumsy at best.

he hosed up that AT-AT walker in Empire pretty good at least

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

Keira Knightly: "Hey, boss, go scrub this crusty old droid lol"

Padme wouldn't be the first upper-class lady to pretend to be of a lower station so it wouldn't be a scandal when she got hands-on with one of the slaves.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

gohmak posted:

TFA was marketed to me having the cool black kid from Attack the Block as a storm trooper that becomes a lightsaber wielding Jedi. Imagine the disappointment

We didn't even get this!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

gohmak posted:

John Boyega deserves better than being the butt of every joke in the ST.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Bogus Adventure posted:

It would be awesome if the Dark Side Rey weren't a fakeout and Finn has to go Jedi for real and redeem Rey.

It's kind of sad that it not being a fakeout would be the real surprise, but here we are.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Just make rey bad early, remove her from the plot and make finn the mc, like what should’ve been done from the beginning

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Hodgepodge posted:

It would be awesome if the Dark Side Rey weren't a fakeout and Finn has to go Jedi for real and redeem Rey.

It's kind of sad that it not being a fakeout would be the real surprise, but here we are.

This sums up my big problems with TLJ and I suspect the next one.

It really bums me out that Finn doesn't get more attention. He was the breakout role in TFA to me. A stormtrooper joining the rebels and using a lightsaber is way more interesting than anything else in that movie to me and in TLJ he is paid dust and given a terrible sidequest, having like no scenes with Rey even though he's like the first friend she's made in.. ever?

Remember when all the promotional materials had that awesome shot of Boyega and the blue saber?
Even the big billboard in Times Square?? Lmaoo what a loving joke

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bogus Adventure posted:

Oh come on, it's not every joke. I mean, there's Hux.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are you saying a company as calculating as disney paid the bare minimum amount of required lip service to black people to get them to see their movie then slammed it hard in the other direction toward their standard girl power narrative?

Theres....theres just no way theyd be that diabolical!!!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Oh come on, it's not every joke. I mean, there's Hux.

Finn channeled his spirit into Hux during his coma in an attempt to screw over the First Order as revenge for his lost childhood

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

lol remember Finn's epic showdown with the shiny tall lady he threw in the dumpster a movie earlier, possibly because she is a meany-head but we are never quite sure?

Edit: like, on a scale from one to ten, how hard are you gonna laugh if Phasma returns again in this one and they yet again pretend she actually does anything that matters?

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 15, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Finn finally overcame his greatest shame, which was letting himself being told what to do by a woman.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

there was already a lot of tattooine in ep 1, better to not further encourage any 'oh only like 4 planets in the whole galaxy matter' feelings
To be fair though, Tatooine didn't really have to be in the prequels.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair though, Tatooine didn't really have to be in the prequels.

eh it makes a little more sense there with luke's aunt and uncle living there at the start of ANH, it's not unreasonable that his dad and grandmother had roots there too

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

eh it makes a little more sense there with luke's aunt and uncle living there at the start of ANH, it's not unreasonable that his dad and grandmother had roots there too
Yeah, I get that...

But Owen just moving there because he's in space witness protection feels a lot less sweaty than Leia being the daughter of a queen, but her own royal title being completely unrelated.

Forced isn't the right word, but the methods in which Leia and Luke find their respective homes feels so disconnected from the story. It felt like in Episode I they kind of set these clear roots of how we get there (Anakin on Tatooine and Padame being a princess), but the former connection still ends up feeling murky and the latter connection ends up being a bit of a non-sequitur.

But honestly it's all rooted in the fact that Luke and Leia being siblings was a mistake.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No way will phasma be back, there are new toyscharacters that need the onscreen real estate she occupied

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

she was only ever on screen for like 2 minutes per movie

and she will most definitely be back to get chumped again

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I like Gwendoline Christie, and wish they beefed up Phasma's character arc a bit more. Would've been even cooler if she had a redemptive arc, and then maybe she and Finn became bros fighting against the First Order together. Also, +1 here wrt Finn being a Jedi. I was stoked because I loved Attack the Block and seeing Boyega as a Jedi got me real excited. The one trailer with the final shot of Finn looking cool as gently caress wearing the leather jacket, facing down Kylo Ren with Anakin's saber had me so loving hyped. Oh well. TFA is still good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

No way will phasma be back, there are new toyscharacters that need the onscreen real estate she occupied

It's not like Phasma wouldn't get a shiny new Rise of Skywalker edition toy with new removable helmet and whatnot.